Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Ahhh sesame! Sesame oil is my favorite flavoring oil. It makes everything you put it on delicious as gently caress. However, because it is usually used as just a garnish, I wanted to try and do some interesting things. But I also didn't want to stray too far from what I know, so today's meal will be very very asian. Everything plated is for 2, and everything was served as one meal. Obviously lots of prep was done beforehand. Apologies for some blurriness, I haven't used my DSLR in awhile and hosed up some settings and didn't realize until after everything was eaten. Anyway. I just drank a glass of some seriously strong makgeolli (spoiler!) so gently caress the niceties, let's get started.

Menu
Because of how loving HUGE this post is going to be, I'll break the OP up into each course and link it separately.

Wine pairing for the night.

The red will be a 2011 Taburno Sannio Aglianico Fidelis, the white will be a 2012 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume, and finally our dessert wine will be a 2009 Château Saint Vincent Sauternes.

I'm not a connoisseur so I won't be providing any tasting notes. I'll just say that we were very happy with how everything paired.

First Course: Damned Sesame Noodles // post // gallery

We start off simple and obvious with my variant of sesame noodles (mixed with dan dan noodles). We have a tahini and garlic chili oil based sauce, braised tripe, crispy pork topping, all on top of handmade egg noodles.

This was my husband's favorite dish. And it's near the top for me too. There was something about the sharp acidity of the vinegar braised tripe, the slight sweetness, nutiness and spice from the sauce, and the tongue numbing super crispy pork that just created a crazy party in your mouth. The flavor and texture contrasts worked so well together, this is a must try.

Fish Course: Ahi Tuna Garden // post // gallery

First, shout out to Chefy Chef de Chefyart for circle forms. I hope my tuna doesn't look like cat food to you.

Another obvious dish, the ahi tuna tartare with mango, avocado, and seaweed salad. Plated with two sauces, and a garden from my garden. First sauce is a green onion and sesame oil 'aioli', the second sauce is a sweet miso cream. Garden garnish includes cucumber, radish, and marigold petals.

This dish was decently balanced. The only thing it was lacking was a component with a more firm texture. However, the savory fish, with the bright mango, creamy and acidic avocado, and slightly sweet seaweed salad created a bite with a lot of depth in flavor. The sweet miso cream was serviceable, but the green onion aioli was awesome. It had that extra punch of acidity from the lime and the nuttiness of the sesame oil really worked well with the creaminess of the sauce. I actually brought over the sauce bottle to pass around for everyone to drizzle more all over the tartare.

Meat Course: Beef Rib Tahini and Miso Curry // post // gallery

Beef rib prepared sous vide with an asian pear marinade seared then encrusted with sesame seeds sitting on top of fried rice. All surrounded by a tahini and miso curry prepared with the marinade plus some lemongrass and coconut milk. Garnished with a green papaya salad and sesame seed crisps.

Wow, I agonized over the conceptualization of this dish. I think this one went through the most changes, but in the end it was worth it. It was my favorite dish and my husband's 2nd favorite after the damned sesame noodles.

I will say that the sesame crisps suck and are the shittiest component out of this entire entry. However, they provided some extra crunch and savory nuttiness with the papaya salad and worked fine.

Dessert: Sesame Ice Cream in a Sesame Cone // post // gallery

Black sesame ice cream in a sesame seed and miso cone. Garnished with candied ginger and mint.

Holy poo poo these cones were hard to make. You have to work FAST with your hands but they are so hot when they're malleable. But, again, worth it. I kept sneaking bites of pieces broken off cause these sesame cones were awesome and the ice cream is definitely the best ice cream I've made. Really smooth and creamy. Flavor was really perfect. The alcohol and xanthan gum did their job well.

Digestif: Smashin' Buddha with Sesame Lace Cookies // post // gallery

My variant of an irish coffee. Sesame infused scotch and iron buddha tea, topped with a cream made out of honey, vanilla and white sesame seeds. Garnished with mint and served with black sesame lace cookies.

My husband ate the whole batch of lace sesame cookies because he loved them so much. I really enjoyed this as a digestif, sipping hot tea/scotch through a ice cold nutty honey vanilla foam. I will say though, that the sesame infused scotch is freaking awesome and even if you're a scotch purist, you should try it.

Some poo poo that didn't make it into the final entry:
Makgeolli Float (you should check this out it tastes awesome, poo poo pictures tho) // gallery
Tahini curry paste
pasteurized quail eggs

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Damned Sesame Noodles

Post Reference
A1. Hand made Egg Noodles
A2. Crispy Pork Topping
A3. Braised Tripe
A4. Sesame Sauce

A1. Hand made Egg Noodles

Mise en place
500g wheat flour
3 chicken eggs (Note: I recommend using 2 duck eggs here, I just couldn't find any)
125ml- 150ml of water
1/2 tsp of sea salt

Make a flour well, dump in your eggs.

Slowly incorporate the eggs.

Add water and knead til it makes a nice tacky dough. Water amount will vary so do it by feel.

POUND INTO SUBMISSION!! Don't use a tenderizing hammer like I did, my rolling pin isn't very smack friendly so I had to make do. You can see the circles, hahahaha.

Fold like an envelope then rest for 20 minutes under some saran wrap. Repeat the smacking and rest once.

Slowly feed into your rolling machine and get noodles!

Make like normal noodles in some simmering salted water until al dente. Drain and immediately cool down with some ice cubes for serving. Let it dry out a bit before serving.

A2. Crispy Pork Topping

Mise en Place
2 tsps vegetable oil
1/2 lb ground pork
2 tbsps chopped preserved mustard greens
1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground

Stir Fry Station for the night
vegetable oil
cooking wine
garlic and ginger, minced

No pictures of the process because it's fast going.

Small ladle (2tbsp) of oil in your wok, let it heat til smoking. I check for about 600F using an IR thermometer.
Toss in the sichuan peppercorns then follow it with a couple tablespoons of the minced garlic and ginger.
Almost immediately follow it with the mustard greens and pork.
Fry until pork is slightly crispy, then throw in a dash (approx 3tbsp) of the shaoxing wine.
It's done when the pork is thoroughly crispy all over.

A3. Braised Tripe

Mise en Place
1.5lb tripe
1/2 cup vinegar
1 inch ginger, thickly cut
3/4 cup black bean sauce
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp shaoxing wine

ignore the chives, idk what it's doing there.

Bring everything to a boil, then down to a simmer.
Simmer until really tender. Took me about 5 hours.
Reserve the tripe.

Reduce the sauce until nice and thick.
Bring everything back together.

A4. Sesame Sauce

First thing, make your fried garlic chili oil. 1/2 cup of chili oil and 2 cloves of garlic sliced over gentle heat until garlic is browned and crispy.

Mise en Place
1/2 cup hot chili oil with fried garlic
tahini
3 tbsps black vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 cloves garlic, grated
ginger

Stir together? Yeah that's about it.

Plated

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Ahi Tuna Garden

Post Reference
B1. Green Onion Aioli
B2. Sweet Miso Cream
B3. Ahi Tuna Tartare and Seaweed Salad

B1. Green Onion and Sesame 'Aioli'

Mise en place
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 stalks green onion, roughly segmented

Throw yolks, pepper, salt, and lime juice into the vitamix. Run til combined then slowly add the green onion til incorporated. Slowly drip in both oils until nice and thick.

B2. Sweet Miso Cream

Mise en place
1 tbsp miso
1 tbsp white sesame seeds
1/2 cup heavy cream
a lot of palm sugar

Blend together until smooth.

B3. Ahi Tuna Tartare and Seaweed Salad

Mise en place

Tuna
1 fillet tuna, cubed
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 inch ginger, minced
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1 stalk green onion, minced

Tartare Accompaniments
1 avocado, cubed
1 lime, juiced

1 mango, cubed

Seaweed salad
a couple pieces of seaweed
1 tsp mirin
1 tbsp rice vinegar

To cube the avocado and mango, just take a section and slice a cross hatch pattern into it. Then scoop out with a spoon.

Mix everything together for each component. Plate and garnish.

Plated

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 24, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Beef Rib Tahini and Miso Curry

Post Reference
C1. Sous Vide Beef Ribs
C2. Tahini and Miso Curry
C3. Papaya Salad
C4. Sesame Fried Rice
C5. Sesame Crisp Garnish

C1. Sous Vide Beef Ribs

Mise en place
3 beef ribs (local and grass fed)

Marinade:
1/4 red onion
2 asian pears
3 cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger
1 stalk green onion
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
ground pepper

Blend together the marinade ingredients and vacuum seal the it with the ribs.

Cook sous vide for 72 hours at 132F.

Not so appetizing when it comes out of the bag hm? Chill in a fridge.

Right before plating, sear. I preheat the cast iron to 600F+. Roll in some toasted white and black sesame seeds after.

C2. Tahini and Miso Curry

Ok, let's be honest. This isn't really a curry in any tradition but it's fine. I couldn't think of another way to describe it.

Dump in bag juice and reduce.

Once reduced to your desired thickness, add in 2 tbsp of tahini, 1 tbsp of miso, and 1 chopped up stalk of lemon grass. Simmer until sauce is infused with lemon grass.

Add in coconut milk to taste. Salt and pepper to taste.

C3. Papaya Salad

:siren:THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE PAPAYA SALAD:siren: for the purposes of this dish, I excluded some key ingredients such as tiny shrimp and fish sauce.

First, watch some tv while shredding your papaya.

Mise en place
1 green papaya, shredded
1 lime, juiced
2 thai chile, chopped
1/2 carrot, julienned
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onion, chopped
rice vinegar
apple cider vinegar
salt

Mix together, adding rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and salt to taste.

C4. Sesame Fried Rice

First, you need some nasty, dried up, crusty, 3 day old rice.

Remember this stir fry station from course 1? We're using it again. Oil in first, then garlic/ginger, then a handful of oyster mushrooms chopped, then rice. Splash of soy sauce and shaoxing wine.

Done.

C5. Sesame Crisp Garnish

Mise en place
1 egg, whites only
1/4 tsp of xanthan gum
30g All-Purpose Flour, sifted
20g Butter – melted
80g White Sesame Seeds – toasted
10g Black Sesame Seeds – toasted

Preheat oven to 340F.

Whisk egg white with xanthan gum.
Stir in butter, then flour, then sesame seeds

Spread on baking sheet with a fork. Mark where you will want to break it into strips.

Bake for 8-10 min or until brown and crispy.

These aren't good alone. They work fine for garnish, but definitely biggest failure of this entry.

Plated

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 24, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Ses-ah-me
Black sesame ice cream in a sesame miso cone.

Post Reference
D1. Black Sesame Ice Cream
D2. Sesame miso cone

D1. Black Sesame Ice Cream
Based on this recipe.

First, we're going to make black sesame paste. Blend 1/4 cup of toasted black sesame seeds until fine, then mix it with enough honey to make a thick paste.

Mise en place
2 Tbsp. toasted black sesame seeds, ground
400 ml whole milk
70g sugar
3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. black sesame paste (or Homemade Black Sesame Paste)
1 tsp. vanilla
200 ml heavy cream
2 tbsp Beefeater
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
Pinch of salt

We're using alcohol and xanthan gum to make it soft even when stored for a long period in the freezer. I chose Beefeater for its lack of complexity (don't want too many flavors) but just enough aromatics to add depth.

Whisk yolk and sugar until pale.

Add in honey, ground sesame seeds and sesame paste

Cook the custard on low medium heat until about 80F. Don't be stupid like me and try to use an IR thermometer for this. I actually switched to my thermopen after this.

Cool in an ice bath and add in the xanthan gum, alcohol, and vanilla.

Whisk the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.

Fold it into the chilled custard.

Let the mixture sit for a few hours/overnight.

Into the ice cream maker!

Freeze for a few hours before using in final dish.

D2. Sesame Miso Cone

Mise en place
3 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp miso
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
2 drops sesame oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
2 tsp black sesame seeds, toasted

Mix dry and wet separately.

Mix them together and then paint circles onto silpat.

When they go slightly brown and are shapable, IMMEDIATELY PULL THEM OUT AND SHAPE AROUND CONE FORM. I burned my fingers a lot and lost 2 out of the 5 cones. :(

Plated

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 24, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Smashin' Buddha with Lace Cookies

Post Reference
E1. Scotch and Tea
E2. Vanilla, honey, and sesame cream foam
E3. Sesame Lace Cookies

E1. Scotch and Tea

This is the first and only time you'll see a picture of me toasting sesame seeds. Obviously I started the infusion first (first weekend of the ICSA actually) and I doubt you want to see a million pictures of me toasting sesame seeds so they'd be fresh for each component.

Sesame seed infused scotch made with 1:4 ratio by volume of seeds to scotch. Infused for 2 weeks.

Iron buddha is an oolong. First, you need to rinse the tea with boiled water to 'open' its leaves. Then, use 190F water to brew the tea for 50s. Pour immediately. Best brewed in a proper Chinese clay teapot.

Final cocktail mix is 3:1 tea:scotch.

E2. Vanilla, honey, and sesame cream foam

Grind 1/2 cup of toasted white sesame seeds.

Mix with enough honey to make a thick paste, and then thin it out with enough 1/2 cup heavy cream.

Mix in the seeds from a vanilla bean.

:siren:DO NOT DO THIS:siren:
Sorry for the lack of picture. But I put the mixture in a whipped cream canister. Chilled for a few hours. Charged and shaked as instructed.

I just wanted to play with my gadget and you should NOT do this. What I should've done was to just whip the heavy cream into stiff peaks and fold it into the sesame paste.

C3. Sesame Lace Cookies

So................ I forgot the orange juice. And this was the end of my baking day and it was past midnight and I just did not want to have to go to the store. So I pureed two apples and put it through cheesecloth to get apple juice.

Mise en place
100 gram unsalted butter
100g granulated sugar
100g light brown sugar
75g all-purpose flour
80g fresh apple juice
3 tbsp black sesame seeds

Cream butter with granulated sugar until fluffy.

Then with brown sugar.

Slowly incorporate the rest of the ingredients.

Fridge overnight.

On a cookie sheet. You should do it with smaller amounts (about 1 tsp)...

Because this happened. Baked for 18min at 350F. Had to cut it into triangles.

Plated

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 24, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So several things didn't make it in that was cut because I didn't think it fit into the meal or the theme or whatever. For example, the tahini curry was originally supposed to really be an indian style curry. I decided the flavors would contrast too much, and decided to go a bit simpler and creamier. However, there was one thing I made that didn't make it in I really want to talk about. And that's sesame fermented Makgeolli float.

This post is going to be all poo poo pictures. Sorry.

Making of Makgeolli
I used maangchi's recipe, but replaced 5% of the rice by weight with white sesame seeds. I won't reiterate it here.

Cooked sticky rice.

Dried rice mixed with nuruk, yeast, and water.

After almost 8 days.

Strain.

Bottle for 7 days.

Put in whipped cream canister. Chill overnight.

Pour over black sesame ice cream.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 24, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
holy poo poo, this all looks fantastic

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
loving outstandig

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mentos posted:

loving outstandig

Agreed. Impressive looking dishes and a wonderful write up, too.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Aw guys, thank you. :) I was a little worried it'd be information overload. I didn't realize how much there was to sort through until I had 6 imgur albums of ~20 images each...

All of the plated pictures are clickable to go to full resolution hugeass images fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wow, this took some serious effort. Truly outstanding!

• Locked thread