Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

sailormoon posted:

Thank you everyone for all the help getting through FC and getting through the world building. The final chapter was amazing and I’m starting SC immediately. Huge payoff and it’s what I remember loving about JRPGs as a kid.

That's exactly how it went down for me a few months ago lmao

People were not kidding about that cliffhanger at the end of FC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Every time someone finishes FC, I feel like the 4 year wait between it and SC hits me again, complete with all the "Didnt sell enough for the amount of work, and Translator nearly kills himself from the stress" news.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

sailormoon posted:

Thank you everyone for all the help getting through FC and getting through the world building. The final chapter was amazing and I’m starting SC immediately. Huge payoff and it’s what I remember loving about JRPGs as a kid.

This is the series that made me fall back in love with the genre, after taking nearly a decade off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MythosDragon posted:

Every time someone finishes FC, I feel like the 4 year wait between it and SC hits me again, complete with all the "Didnt sell enough for the amount of work, and Translator nearly kills himself from the stress" news.

It was only about 18 months for me and it was still hell

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ohhhhh man I finally beat Cold Steel 4, with the True Ending of course, I didnt quite get how to watch that post credit scene so just I watched it on youtube instead :toot:

What a journey! I think I still liked the Crossbell saga more, it was less bloated than the last two Cold Steel games

Onward to Reverie at some point

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I really enjoyed Class 7 and moving around Erebonia, so the 'bloat' didn't really affect me since I was just happy to adventure more with everyone, though I do think the Act 2 of CS4 was a little more spinning the wheels compared to CS2's Act 2 since it felt more like Class 7 was acting as a guerilla strike force chipping away at the NA's power base as they save Elliot's sister or help Angie, until they pave a way to take back Thors. Compared to CS4 where it was like "welp we got Rean back but there's still other friends unaccounted for and we don't know much about what our foes are up to so lets just fly around in the Church Stealth ship."

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 3, 2024

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Are there "optimal" parties to run in Trails in the Sky SC for story content?

I'm currently running whoever's hometown it is/has context there along with Olivier or Kloe with Agate as my partner, but not sure if this is the "best" or there's other optimal parties.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You always have to remember, Cold Steel is 2 separate arcs, not just 4 straight games.

sailormoon posted:

I'm currently running whoever's hometown it is/has context there along with Olivier or Kloe with Agate as my partner, but not sure if this is the "best" or there's other optimal parties.

Sadly this is just a thing in second games in the series, and SC had it figured out the least. I personally did every section of the game with every party member, and while I saw a few hidden gems, for the most part just saw every line said become generic and attributed to everyone. My honest advice is just take your favorite characters, or mine if you want, Schera and Olivert, with a side of Zin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sailormoon posted:

The big thing that comes to mind is that the final dungeon has a set of 4 minibosses with some pretty interesting scenes if you bring the correct corresponding party member. So you kinda jump out of the dungeon after every one to swap the party.

1st: Olivier (and maybe Kloe too?)
2nd: Zin
3rd: Schera
4th: Tita I think (but this one is more minor)

I didn't really worry about it for anything else.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

sailormoon posted:

Olivier, basically. I'm pretty sure he has more incidental dialogue than anyone else, but it might just be more memorable because he's funny. Schera and Agate have about as much content as each other. Schera gets slightly more with, you guessed it, Olivier.

The antepenultimate (I think? Maybe there's a boss in between that I am forgetting) boss has incidental dialogue for every single party member, and different dialogue for a pair of characters if they're together or separated.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The big thing that comes to mind is that the final dungeon has a set of 4 minibosses with some pretty interesting scenes if you bring the correct corresponding party member. So you kinda jump out of the dungeon after every one to swap the party.

It's basically the Towers order, except you're not forced to bring the relevant character.

Except you want to bring them anyways.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Neither 1 or 4 have anything more than incidental dialogue with the characters in question.

2 and 3 have completely different codas if you don't bring the right person.

And yeah, the final tower boss has something to say to literally everyone, with the most intriguing being Kevin.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wazy.... I missed you man

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's finally time to start playing Daybreak 2. I fortunately managed to find a cheat program that lets me give myself a lot of mira/sepith (since I've discovered that my favorite way to play these games is on Hard but with lots of mira/sepith + infinite connect/bond points, which in practice doesn't make things easier so much as it just removes any grind and means you don't have to shuffle equipment/quartz around as much between characters).

I was immediately upset to learn that (Edith NPC side-quest spoiler) the gay singer-songwriter and his friend left. It kinda makes sense, though; even though the three of them (singer, his friend, and his friend's sister who is in love with her brother's gay friend) reconcile in their final side-quest, there's no loving way they could continue living as roommates after that. I hope the singer guy at least gets mentioned again at some point.

Otherwise very happy to just walk around and talk to all my NPC buddies again.

Edit: the new fishing owns, you choose the location where the line will go and different locations can yield different fish

Edit2: I like how (minor character relationship stuff) Elaine directly brings up whether they should start dating again (which makes sense given they already addressed their issues in the previous game). Van says no because of the weird demon stuff, but it's nice that they just directly address it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 8, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Either I’m missing something or is Ark of Naphitsm’s Hard Mode is hosed balanced-wise? Hard in Oath/Origins felt like the “just right” settings aside from a few bosses, but this feels like a mess. The game recently suggested that I get a bell to make the Limewater Cave’s most dangerous enemies (Dark Adols that do half your health in one swing) but to get the bell you need to beat a bee that takes one damage and hits for 40% of your health, or 60% if the rocket stinger hits you. Did anyone else have these sorts of problems? I grinded a bunch and the EXP rate has slowed significantly down so I don’t think I’m doing it wrong unless I overlooked another area.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Napishtim was the first of the three games, and can be kind of rough

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Either I’m missing something or is Ark of Naphitsm’s Hard Mode is hosed balanced-wise? Hard in Oath/Origins felt like the “just right” settings aside from a few bosses, but this feels like a mess. The game recently suggested that I get a bell to make the Limewater Cave’s most dangerous enemies (Dark Adols that do half your health in one swing) but to get the bell you need to beat a bee that takes one damage and hits for 40% of your health, or 60% if the rocket stinger hits you. Did anyone else have these sorts of problems? I grinded a bunch and the EXP rate has slowed significantly down so I don’t think I’m doing it wrong unless I overlooked another area.

Napishtim is rough at points on the harder difficulties, the bell is for the various shelled creatures in the cave, the bee is kinda rough, it might be better just finding something you can reliably kill in the cave for levels.
You'll need an item called the rainbow fragment to make the mimics more manageable (it's found in the Ruins of Amnesia if you haven't got it yet).

The level thing is even more stark in Napishtim, because the stat tuning is so tight, in the later ports the "Calamity Mode" (not being allowed to hold any healing items and all random healing items in chests being replaced with non-functional Capla Waters) is much easier in the long run because they replaced the healing items in the shops with stat items.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 10, 2024

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Dash Jump haunts my dreams still.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

incredibly emotional voice acting in this segment from Reverie...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That is the best part of the entire game and the voice actor absolutely nailed it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Decided I wasn’t having fun with Ark, might go back and try it on Normal eventually. Played Oath for like an hour and a half and man, all the refinements make it feel so much better even if they look like 90% the same game on a surface level. It really is a shame that Falcom just kinda abandoned the Oath design after three games, it’s way closer to being a lateral option to modern and there’s room for both.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omensight plays kind of like the platformer Yses

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks, wishlisted.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

uhhhh how do I complete these missions

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

have all 5 of those people in your party, either active or on backup, then win 2 battles in 3 turns or less

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hwurmp posted:

have all 5 of those people in your party, either active or on backup, then win 2 battles in 3 turns or less

I swear I did this in like 4 fights, but after that I tried not using United Fronts and it worked then I guess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://x.com/bowloflentils/status/1780632118151856541?s=46&t=FevCpxsjIWdlja6JbbXT5g

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
korea had gametap too huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now there's a strong selling point for turbo mode.