Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

I’m going to say maybe don’t ever touch that guy’s cars again.

Well the blue one is mine now so.....

Enjoy the shitfight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926936

As per the rule change in AI, please note that this thread is made by an Australia, is occupied by a number of Australians and WILL have the odd stream of swearing directed at non working cars and Magpies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Im kinda wondering if I should build a rally vehicle once again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Only if you finish/sell something else first.

...WTF am I saying? My wife has infected my brain.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Only if you finish/sell something else first.

...WTF am I saying? My wife has infected my brain.

The current things I'm working on just happen to be perfect rally car build targets. Damaged or not special shells that are no loss if they get crashed are perfect for that purpose.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KITTYS!

And now for todays PO fuckery....

Well...... gently caress. Thats a mess

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't know if I've ever seen a Link install that wasn't done with a cannon that shoots wires. I've even seen good Greddy installs, but never a Link.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen a Link install that wasn't done with a cannon that shoots wires. I've even seen good Greddy installs, but never a Link.

Well little did I know.....

But I should have expected......

[timg]http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2020/06/21/20200621024755-3ae8051a-xx.jpg]/timg]

Instrument panel now out.

The photo is as bad as the wiring disaster on the drivers side.

There's spagetti EVERYWHERE. Well gently caress I have a lot of remediation to do. Why oh why do WRX's just get so much spagetti abortion wiring done to them?

So the crash bar of a 97 will fit in a 96 that has been previously modded to make a 99 interior to work. Took a tiny bit of bending of the center brackets but so minor it's no bother at all. Means I should have not many interior issues ot worry about.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 21, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Better image of spagetti on the drivers side.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A story of my weekend in three parts

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 29, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

God that's a mess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

God that's a mess.

loving PO's and their loving wiring mods

Annyway....

As it all comes off the blue wagon, it's transplanted to the red one. Hey, best place to store all the parts right?

EARLY afternoon. Some serious mist coming in

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wiring that isnt a mess!

Now ready to drop the underside and pull out the rest of the interior.

I was filthy, damp from coolant, inhaled air con gas, had grit and gravel everywhere, brake fluid .....that's what you call a productive and successful weekend.

Edit : I should expand on something here. What I'm intending to do is basically throw everything roughly onto the red wagon with no real thought of order or even doing it well - I get it started and driving, then I am going to drive it back into the garage then pull it apart section by section to do it right. I amnot 100% sure where I'm going here but I want to do it in a way that I can feel like... yeah this a *good* job

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 12, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So you know how I've kinda settled somewhat and there's been a real lack of stupidity with dragging home Yet Another Broken loving Subaru?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah well.........

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So you know how I've kinda settled somewhat and there's been a real lack of stupidity with dragging home Yet Another Broken loving Subaru?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah well.........

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

OKay that pissed me off. Organised trailer and I call to confirm and I get "Hey bro someone rocked up with cash and trailer after your messages...."

FFS.

Back to regular programming.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Thursday sucks esp due to this...

Well at least one of my mates works in appliance spares and I have the part on order

Well thats a mess.

Will it fit my Honda Subaru?

Suspension and brakes off

Motor ready to be dropped

Interior stripped

And the pile of parts grows

Not seen -

Walks past car *smacks knee*
A few miniutes *smacks same knee on same protruding part*
swear, pause to wait for pain to dull *smacks same knee in SAME protruding part almost immediatly*

Sits, ices knee, wait for twenty minutes to get back to work *smacks same knee on the same loving protruding car part*

Swears, waits for throbbling hell to dull, gets out plasma cutter and cuts protruding part off
*falls onto foot*

And for some odd reason I gave up for the night

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

(YesI know my lounge room is a mess shut up I'm doing sore reorganising)

Suspension arm bolts were absolutly stuck so...... a shitload of force required. Simple trick is just to use a long spanner like this and use a 3 ton jack to force the issue. The bang when the bolt finally gave was like a goddamn gunshot and next door was legit wondering what the hell.

A mix of years and someone using all the ugga duggas to tighten them when something was replaced at some point.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Walks past car *smacks knee*
A few miniutes *smacks same knee on same protruding part*
swear, pause to wait for pain to dull *smacks same knee in SAME protruding part almost immediatly*

Sits, ices knee, wait for twenty minutes to get back to work *smacks same knee on the same loving protruding car part*

Swears, waits for throbbling hell to dull, gets out plasma cutter and cuts protruding part off
*falls onto foot*

I think we can all empathize with this all to well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nothing much to report on taking the blue wreck apart (other than it continues) so instead a Subaru vomited it's wiring harness on my floor

Bad? Yes. Unsavable? No, it very savable. My two larger issues is sorting out the fuckery with the security system (lower branch) and the ECU (one of the branches up top). The ECU fuckups are fairly self contained but the security system of course is extensive. Which means my first step is do a trace and cut - trace the wires, label and document then cut/remove/unplug to untangle.

My thought - and I will be willing to be schooled on this as I am by no means have much of a clue about wiring - is to reset a lot of the splices and joins with plugs to give myself the most reliable repair. I'm not 100% sure exactly how I will do it but I suspect I have a vist to J R Turks https://www.jrt.com.au/ajt/ to get a bunch of supplies. Or Supercheap and go to the Here Be Dragons section I never go to, the land of car stereos electricals and anything close to my comfort zone.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Why did you post a picture of random stuff from your junk drawer?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Because that's where the wiring harness was, fittingly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Because that's where the wiring harness was, fittingly.

Thats junk Subaru, not junk Drawers.

Altho lets be honest, I use Subarus as junk drawers

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I have a first gen RX-7 that's literally loaded with parts from several others inside.
So, I'm right there with you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I have a first gen RX-7 that's literally loaded with parts from several others inside.
So, I'm right there with you.

I feel personally attacked

*Looks at RX7 stuffed full of Subaru parts*

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I feel personally attacked

*Looks at RX7 stuffed full of Subaru parts*

No, this is kinship.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey remember this thing?

Started to keep the apex seals from freezing

One day we'll actually get back to it

But for today's job -

Engine/gearbox dropped onto a moving trolley. Took me a bit to work out the best way and it was sketchy but the last major removal on the blue shell done

And with the tank out all I have is the 3/4 glass and windscreen to remove and the plasma cutter gets unearthed to cut the shell to pieces

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 15, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You know how bonded windscreen and other glass is usually a terrible and painful job to remove?

Removed the 3/4 glass in five minutes. So I thought well.... if it had a swivel head, would it be even more fesible for the front screen?

The swivel head one -

Is it any better?

It took me 30 seconds to do two sides of the front screen. 30. Seconds. I could if I really wanted to have the windshield out in under 2 minutes.

Why have I never gotten myself a Mutlitool before? These things are amazing!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those things are seemingly useless at some of the tasks they're advertised for, but when it comes to poo poo like that, scraping old caulk out of a bathroom, or cutting holes in drywall, they're loving amazing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’ve never seen the swivel head version. Probably not even available in the US. You guys blokes got the Ryobi ratchet long before we did. I saw it on Mighty Car Mods, and then discovered I couldn’t get it. So I got a Husky instead, which is smaller, so there’s that.
And yeah, there are certain things that those are indispensable for. Flush cutting trim is one, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well this seems like a good time to close this thread and reboot it as I think I would like to change tack - and the constant stream of Subarus randomly turning up is in reality over.

The blue written off WRX is finally truly no more

One 1200w recipocating saw made very short work of the reminding shell and the rest goes to the tip.

https://www.ryobi.com.au/power-tools/products/details/1200w-reciprocating-saw-rrs1200-s?list=all_products&list_name=All+Products

Thanks for following this insanity - The next thread will be considerably more boring even if will hopefully be about building a *really* fast tarmac burning wagon and finally bringing the RX7 back on the road