Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Noxville posted:

American Southern Baptists are a danger to us all.

Well, yes, frequently, but they shoot up schools and cinemas in the American south which we don't need to do anything about because the Americans are there to not do anything about it themselves.

E: 30 November 2015: COP21 conference begins in Paris. Protests are banned because of recent shooting. Protesters instead leave shoes in the Place de la Republique.

Prediction: just like the other 20 COP conferences, gently caress-all will change, and the climate will continue to be hilariously screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like the only religion that passes all of them is some wishy-washy liberal agnosticism or watered-down cultural religiosity that doesn't even stand for anything.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This is going to be a bloodbath and I don't even know what the best case scenario would be.

We kill off all of ISIS and magically manage not to create any more terrorist organisations in the bombing, get rid of Assad and somehow Russia doesn't get violently offended by this and Turkey stops killing the Kurds just because?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I do sometimes get a bit conspiratorial and wonder if its a tacit plan of rightwingers right now to make MENA a mix of chaotic failed states and authoritarian police states both with NATO having free access to commit drone strikes all over them to limit any further migration from the rest of the continent from the inevitable mass migrations as more environmental and economic catastrophes hit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like the only religion that passes all of them is some wishy-washy liberal agnosticism or watered-down cultural religiosity that doesn't even stand for anything.

Well, I as an atheist wouldn't even be able to answer any of those questions honestly, since they're so strongly framed around a religious viewpoint.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Ahem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7tac9h8Gw

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, yes, frequently, but they shoot up schools and cinemas in the American south which we don't need to do anything about because the Americans are there to not do anything about it themselves.

E: 30 November 2015: COP21 conference begins in Paris. Protests are banned because of recent shooting. Protesters instead leave shoes in the Place de la Republique.

Prediction: just like the other 20 COP conferences, gently caress-all will change, and the climate will continue to be hilariously screwed.

The disconnect in american news where a white dude going on a gun rampage is called a 'shooting' but if they're a shade darker than beige its called 'terrorism' is very troubling. Like the guy who shot up the planned parenthood place. That was a terrorist attack plain and simple, but they refuse to call it such.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PREVENT? Excuse me no

quote:

Seven pupils at Greenleaf primary school, in Waltham Forest, North London aged between 9 and 11, were revealed as being part of a program known as "Building Resilience Through Integration & Trust" (BRIT)

We're living in an Orwellian satire

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of this clip by noted devoted Roman Catholic Stephen Colbert (not playing his ironic persona) calling out the supposedly Christian GOP candidates being gross about Syrian refugees. Christian element only pops up after the 3 minute mark but whole thing is good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, I as an atheist wouldn't even be able to answer any of those questions honestly, since they're so strongly framed around a religious viewpoint.
You could be an atheist and still believe that it is better to die on your feet as a hero of La Revolución than passively tolerate injustice.

Which would also earn you a visit from PREVENT.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

But there could never really be a proper exit strategy with a timeline and accurate goals in this situation. It would be a constantly evolving state that would go on for at least two decades to do it properly. I don't think anyone would commit forces to the UN for that time period. It would be deeply unpopular from the get go,and as it dragged on and on would get even worse. That's long enough for several governments to be elected on the basis of bringing their troops home which would add to the recipe for disaster.

Yeah, it's a fair point, it's likely to be a minimum of a decade long venture, probably 20-30 year long project. But without it I really don't know how we stop ISIL without some other horror taking its place. You're probably right that there's no stomach for it, the loss of life would be massive. Mind you, that'd be the bonus of the coalition force containing a lot of troops from Iran, Saudi Arabia, Gulf States, Egypt, other places where democracy is much less of a concern...Cynical but true.

Probably the "simplest" option is to accept Assad as the lesser evil with some vague promise of introducing proper democracy X years down the line, but that's got the potential to have serious blowback when he inevitable acts like a dictator & crushes all dissent as he's want to do. I dunno, just spitballing, I don't really know enough about the situation. I just know what I don't want to see: unilateral action for one, talk of goodies & baddies like a kids cartoon, leaving the Kurds in Limbo once again just to avoid offending Turkish nationalism.

Wish it was as easy as dropping some bombs, really do. Whatever happens it's going to be a human tragedy & go on for years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

PREVENT? Excuse me no

We're living in an Orwellian satire

Between 9 and 11? .... 9/11

fetch me the red phone

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

You could be an atheist and still believe that it is better to die on your feet as a hero of La Revolución than passively tolerate injustice.

Which would also earn you a visit from PREVENT.

Not unless my name was Muhammmad it wouldn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

"Yeah, Triple M we called him, that's how we knew he weren't one of us."

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It doesn't make any sense, air strikes are ineffective as NATO and US generals have said as well as the Kurds and Syrian rebels. ISIS has already endured over 7000 air strikes and simply doesn't provide them anything to bomb.

serious gaylord posted:

This just in, WMD's are in Syria!!!

Well you joke, but our basis for bombing is these 70,000 rebels ready to retake Raqqa, the only time a bombing campaign would have targets to actually be doing more than just throwing expensive bombs at civilians. The problem is this figure is provided by the same UK Intelligence group who gave us "Saddam could strike UK bases in 45 minutes" the good ol' Joint Intelligence Committee and they've refused to explain exactly how that'd work, but there is a report that kind of sort of goes into detail!

The majority are said to be the FSA, who are far more interested in fighting Assad in the Alleppo area right now rather than pushing for Raqqa. Also Russia keep bombing them, though they've asked for us to prove it.

There's the Kurds, which comes with the problem that Raqqa is Arab not Kurdish land and no one is entirely sure if the Kurds will actually attack it. America doesn't want the Kurds involved because they will will be seen as an occupying force and people from Raqqa have said they're terrified of the Kurds taking over. They have a truce with the FSA, but they've fought before too so they're not likely to work together well. Oh and Turkey really doesn't like them as well.

Then the report suddenly goes vague, talking of rebels on the Syrian-Turkey border. Definitely there, but mainly composed of the Jabhat-al-Nusra an offshoot of al-Qaida who Russia is currently fighting even if we wanted to go that route, which we don't, so I don't think they're on side.

And that's it. The rest are policemen and humanitarian workers.

It's a massive clusterfuck we've decided we want to get in on off the back of clearly faulty intelligence from the Joint Intelligence Committee. So yeah, here we go again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

They have targeted people in leftist and environmentalist groups too. They never seem to mention it though, it's always "Islamic and Far Right Extremism" to make it look fair and balanced. :rolleye:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Reminds me of this clip by noted devoted Roman Catholic Stephen Colbert (not playing his ironic persona) calling out the supposedly Christian GOP candidates being gross about Syrian refugees. Christian element only pops up after the 3 minute mark but whole thing is good.

Dang, that's a nice segment. We need a Stephen Colbert here (who's actually ON regularly, the Last leg does a solid job when it's running, as does Ten O'Clock Live).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Dang, that's a nice segment. We need a Stephen Colbert here (who's actually ON regularly, the Last leg does a solid job when it's running, as does Ten O'Clock Live).

It would be amazing to have a regular political comedy going. I don't even care if it's left-biased or right-biased as long as it was funny and not just "Cameron is fat-faced LOL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Happy December

• Locked thread