Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

And the subplot with Rod-ton was like, what, six pages or something? Most of which was cheesecake? That poo poo felt loving pointless.

The art is gorgeous, and I might stick around for another update or two to see if it improves, but so far it's just not very good.

I thought it was to prove that sometimes angels just randomly chose dumb people and surely MC is better than that guy right? I did find it funny how melodramatic his entire life story was so far :black101: but at least he knows he can't solve his problems by killing everyone he disliked ever. Good start, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I also thought the Rodriguez plot was to show what an unscrupulous person could do with said powers, and how much effect said powers could have on the real world. One can easily extrapolate that if you can get your aunt to kill herself and some very prominent, intelligent, and important women to degrade themselves*, if someone can make some guy like a president or politician fall in love with them, poo poo would really hit the fan.
*It just occurred to me that all the "victims" have been women thus far so uh...

Alder posted:

I thought it was to prove that sometimes angels just randomly chose dumb people and surely MC is better than that guy right? I did find it funny how melodramatic his entire life story was so far :black101: but at least he knows he can't solve his problems by killing everyone he disliked ever. Good start, buddy.

That right there already makes me like him quite a bit. Though, that could easily change. How long did it take for Light to want to kill all criminals after his first notebook killing?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Postal Parcel posted:

How long did it take for Light to want to kill all criminals after his first notebook killing?

If memory serves, about 20 seconds.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

If memory serves, about 20 seconds.

Nah, it was 20 seconds after his second killing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Platinum End seems really bad so far. As someone who actually liked Deathnote and was sorta noncommittal about Bakuman, Platinum End just lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. The characters are flat and uninteresting from the first two installments I read; things seem to be moving too quickly, I think? Like in just the first forty-something pages we've got all kinds of murder and poo poo happening and I don't know enough about either the rules of the game or the protagonist to give a poo poo. PE seems like it would be much better suited to having a moodier, slower introduction to its trauma-driven main character, lead us up to the whole attempted suicide thing, and then start raining crazy.

Also, I think the angel is supposed to be cute/adorable/likeable, but she isn't. And the subplot with Rod-ton was like, what, six pages or something? Most of which was cheesecake? That poo poo felt loving pointless.

The art is gorgeous, and I might stick around for another update or two to see if it improves, but so far it's just not very good.

The angel is supposed to be cute visually, sure, but it seems like she's definitely not supposed to be a cute character. The manga so far has been driving home how little she understands of human emotion, culture, society, etc. and therefore how thoroughly inhuman she is. I think it's surprisingly well played.

As for why this feels so different from something like DN, I think it's because DN is intentionally a power trip about two idealistically smart people duking it out, whereas PE is a story starring a thoroughly broken human being and the thoroughly inhuman voice in his ear.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think red arrows work on God candidates?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Well I knew several users would be his high school peers but didn't expect the chapter to end like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Mixing up the formula already, good.

Smart use of the angel there too.

• Locked thread