Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I've been trying to figure out my benefit selection at work this past week, but I realized that I had never really planned for what happens if I died. I'd like to make sure that my wife is taken care of financially, but I'm not really sure exactly what happens to my assets if I pass, or what I should do to make sure that my wife won't be on the hook for anything.

I don't think our financial situation right now is anything too unique. We both have a fairly significant amount of student loan debt. We have about about $4000 on our credit cards - these are paid in full every month via autodebit as are a number of other bills that are in my name. Right now, I'm also earning the vast majority of our income, and she's on my insurance plan through my work.

After we were married, I added her as a beneficiary on my life insurance, 401k, and IRA; added her as a joint person on my checking accounts; and added her as an authorized user on my credit cards. But I haven't done anything else. I don't have a will or anything like that, but I don't really have much in terms of other assets other than a few hundred dollars in an old savings account and my 10 year old car.

But at the end of the day, I just had a bunch of questions. Does anyone have experience with this sort of stuff?
  • From what I've read online I *think* she isn't liable for any debt in my name like the student loans. But it sounds like taxes might be a assessed on the forgiven amount? Can she just avoid these by filing MFS for the year?

• Can she stop autodebits from coming out of our join checking account? If not can she just remove all the cash from the account and close it as she's a joint account holder?

• Can she assume our apartment's lease that's in my name? Does she have to?

• Is it worth while writing an actual will? It would read something like
    "If I die my wife gets everything. Or if she's dead too, then my brother would". I kind of just assumed that since shes either a primary beneficiary or has her name on the account that it wouldn't really matter.

• Can she stay on my health care plan through COBRA?

• What else should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you are young just buy a million or so in term life. It is very affordable. Other then that name her as the beneficiary on all your accounts.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A will would cover anything she's not explicitly marked as the beneficiary of, it can't hurt to have one. I need to get around to making one only because I have a couple things I want to make sure my brother gets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

See a a actual lawyer OP who specializes in estate planning.

Most people use the revocable trust concept instead of will for estate planning since it has many advantages.

• Locked thread