Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJqkiNAuBrw

Remember that old project by that coder dude from Europe? It was called Infinity: Quest For Earth and while it never really became a thing(mostly because it was just one dude working in his spare time)
but had some amazing tech demo vids of seamless planets?

Well he slowly built a small team of dedicated people and they decided to set the MMO dream aside for the mean time and use their rather amazing engine for something they can complete in a few years time given that
they have at least minimal funding. And so they launched their Kickstarter, which while really lacking any real media attention for most of
it's run, is most likely going to reach it's goal anyway. And seeing that I decided heck why not make a thread for it already.

So what is this game all about?

It's a multiplayer territory control space sim where 3 teams battle to dominate a full scale star system. Players can command ships ranging from a small fighter up to a fleet carrier. The small ships will control freespace 2
style(although the flight model is the more realistic newtonian 6 dof deal with the added bonus of atmospheric combat feeling radically different depending on what planet you are on) while the bigger ones will have a lot of
RTS elements where you can assign your turrets to attack specific targets(or multiple groups of turrets to attack separate targets too!) and give orders to your team. Ships in between like corvettes will have a fusion of the 2
modes, having both fixed and turreted weaponry.

The teams fight over points of interest in the star system the control of which gives your team certain bonuses, these points also serve to concentrate the players so you don't wander around aimlessly and never meet anyone.

Sounds good but you mentioned it has a full scale star system, just how full scale are we talking here?

Full as in full, realistic distances and planet sizes. And yes you can land on every single planet(except gas giants where you get thrown about by ridiculous winds and then get crushed by pressure), moon, asteroid or comet
that you can find. There are no transitional sequences anywhere in this game too, it's all one huge instance so you can have a ground defense cannon can directly shoot a ship in low orbit and said ship can in fact perform
orbital bombardment of the installation that said canon is defending! Also you can ram poo poo at the speed of light, provided you can pilot like no man has piloted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaEKgiYApCU

But it's on Kickstarter and StarCitizen is also a space game that was on Kickstarter and look how it has gotten nowhere with so much money pledged!

SC has spent most of their time making ships that people want to buy and mangling CryTek from an FPS engine into a space game engine, also massive feature creep has been draging that project down since forever.
Battlescape is a different story, due to inhuman amount of dedication from Flavien(the lead dev) the engine has been mostly finished, they still have work to do but they have most of the core features in working order already,
they also laid out their project in a way that avoids feature creep and they are only selling one special internet spaceship for 60 bucks.
They also have a prototype out and it's pretty drat good already, don't believe me? Well then let illectro tell you what he thinks about it:

A review and a battle video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTFpKlH1LE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_wOr-YdrEE

I've thrown down 45 bucks onto this project for the beta builds and because unlike all the other space sims I see something special in this project if in the end all it delivers is a finished engine that other companies can license i'd be happy enough with that, it's amazing tech and it needs to get out there.
Plus it looks absolutely gorgeous:

I took all the gifs from this rather amazing imgur gallery made by one of the devs, they are gifv's so they look way better in their video form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I followed the production of Infinity with the I-Novae engine for a long time, lost track of it years ago. Backed, if only to see the thing finally come out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am not at all sure I believe you, false prophet.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

This looks baller, though. That last gif is some millenium falcon asteroid-monster-escape poo poo.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Pacra posted:

This looks baller, though. That last gif is some millenium falcon asteroid-monster-escape poo poo.

Yeah the current prototype tends to look really cinematic and the Hellion keeps getting compared to The Millennium falcon.

The devs are going to have their last Kickstarter stream event today at 3PM EST I'll post a link when it happens.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhK3m_DA4rA

Stream is up now! Don't miss it.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I backed this.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Some neat formation flying/planet surface buzzing going on in that stream.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Despite some sadbrains unpledging because Derek Smart does not hate this game the KS is probably going to fun in ~6 or 7 hours.

So the wait for the alpha/beta begins. I'm pretty envious of the dev backers that are getting and updated prototype in a few months...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is the combat still really lovely jousting where you shoot at a tiny hud element from 30km away. I can appreciate the realism but it's not even remotely fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
If you don't know how to fly you'll joust, if you learn to pilot decently and use the target speed matching there's way less jousting going on, not to mention down on the planets when friction kicks in it immediately bring the fight way closer together.
Just watch illectro's test battle video in the first post.

Keep in mind the prototype only has 1 weapon type so it's pretty limited.

• Locked thread