Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I bought Dark Souls. I'd rented it a few years ago and played through part of the undead town but didn't get very far. I've heard people say different things about whether you should use a guide, but I'm trying to play it pretty blind. Anything I need to know before going into it for real? Particular classes to play/avoid? The game doesn't tell you much about the stats, but from what I've heard they aren't that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
don't invest in resistance

fighter or the soldier is probably the best starting class for your first time. they both have 100% phyiscal resistance shields, which is super helpful for the first bit of the game. fighter is more agile at the start, but the soldier starts with higher faith so you could more easily invest into miracles later on

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I bought Dark Souls. I'd rented it a few years ago and played through part of the undead town but didn't get very far. I've heard people say different things about whether you should use a guide, but I'm trying to play it pretty blind. Anything I need to know before going into it for real? Particular classes to play/avoid? The game doesn't tell you much about the stats, but from what I've heard they aren't that important.

whoever told you stats arent important is a nub, however it is fun to just do whatever you feel like and experiment. Magic/pyromancy is usually kinda OP for just clearing the game. Good Luck Gamer

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

skull wall posted:

Magic/pyromancy is usually kinda OP for just clearing the game.
Is it fun?

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

pyromancy is, and it's easy to mix in to any build

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SombereroLad posted:

pyromancy is, and it's easy to mix in to any build
Can I get it later or do I have to start as a pyromancer?

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Sure, its just there are parts where you can spam magic to get by vs slogging it out with a giant sword + shield, which I realize sounds cooler as I type it out

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
p much all of the starting gifts are things you can find later on except for the master key

pyromancy is really strong because it requires no level investment other than attunement

you can get the stuff you need for pyromancy relatively quickly, starting classes dont really mean much in terms of gameplay other than the gear and spells you start out with, just because you start as a fighter doesnt mean youre locked into hitting things for the rest of the game

most important to remember is that the game is 100% about dressing up and looking cool

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 16, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

except for the master key
I assume you can get by without this.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I played the game through for the first time a little while ago, and Id definitely say to try Pyromancy. U cant get it to start if u dont take that class but its easy to get later if u save a dude. Its kind of like a melee range magic, if that makes sense. Although its extremely powerful.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

It unlocks a few doors early, its the only useful starting item but its not essential at all

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Oh and when you get to the big swamp area just look up how to get to "The Great Hollow" because there's no way that you'll find that area otherwise and its a pain to get back to.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's the difference between pyromancy and sorcery?

Soral
May 30, 2009

pyromancy doesn't scale with intelligence or faith - you just invest more and more souls into your flame to make it stronger

Soral
May 30, 2009

also the spells do fire damage instead of magic damage lol

Soral
May 30, 2009

as far as using a guide, avoid doing it, but look up how to access the dlc area when you think you're ready for it because there's a big chance you won't stumble upon it on your own. i know i didn't. same with the great hollow

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

as far as using a guide, avoid doing it, but look up how to access the dlc area when you think you're ready for it because there's a big chance you won't stumble upon it on your own. i know i didn't. same with the great hollow
Unless the DLC is bundled with the vanilla game I don't have it.

Soral
May 30, 2009

it's bundled with the pc version. i dont know if you have it on pc or console though

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Praise the sun

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

it's bundled with the pc version. i dont know if you have it on pc or console though
PS3

Soral
May 30, 2009

consider getting it if you like the game. some of the best and most memorable bosses are included with that dlc

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

There's a encumbrance mechanic where if your equipped items exceeds a certain number you roll like a fat man (slower animation and less iframes)

glhf dude first dark souls playthrough is epic

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I assume I will murder everyone in this intro.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i'm excited for you fau. i have very fond memories of my first time playing this game. good luck

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

i'm excited for you fau. i have very fond memories of my first time playing this game. good luck
I played it once before but don't remember it well. I didn't get far.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I am bad at games and will beat this around 2020.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yea. Don't take it the first time. You will definitely do another run through, take it then to avoid the majority of blight town

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I'm jealous of OP for getting to play Dark Souls for the first time. I recommend restraining yourself from looking up stuff on the wikis. Reading about how stats work in the game might be a good idea, but avoid the rest like your life depends on it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the great hollow: do not go here until you have the ability to warp between bonfires, kind of a lategame upgrade. there is some really lovely platforming on the way back out and it's very easy to get stuck on tiny steps and poo poo, it's terrible. theres no reason to visit this place early in the game anyhow.

also have fun duder

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Yea. Don't take it the first time. You will definitely do another run through, take it then to avoid the majority of blight town
I took it, it seemed like the most useful one.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

I am bad at games and will beat this around 2020.

if it gets rough you can always engage in jolly co operation with people

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you should close this thread before everyone on this forum tells you how to do everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

you should close this thread before everyone on this forum tells you how to do everything
Okay

• Locked thread