Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

Is "Standard" the old Type II?
Yep

Tortilla Maker posted:

Why did they do away with Mana Burn?
Didn't matter 99% of the time, when it did it was mostly just a dumb gotcha for new players.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Aside from new creature abilities, what major game mechanics have been introduced, modified, or eliminated since 2002-ish?
Planeswalkers are new, combat damage doesn't use the stack anymore, Legend rule is changed so each player can have one legendary and if you wind up with two you choose which gets sacrificed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
"Uncle Istvan" is no longer a creature type.

There have probably been other changes to the rules, but that's the main one.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Tortilla Maker posted:

I stopped playing in 2002-ish. Played a booster draft in 2010. Walked into a hobby shop for funsies over the weekend and bought a booster pack. Have an itch to play again. A few questions first though.

Basically, yes

quote:

It added very little to the game except to punish new players or work in like 3 decks ever designed in the history of the game. Just not worth continuing to support

quote:

Aside from new creature abilities, what major game mechanics have been introduced, modified, or eliminated since 2002-ish?

There have been a bunch of changes, including how combat damage works (no longer uses the stack), how mulligans work, the introduction of colorless mana, and double-faced cards. But most are pretty straightforward.

quote:

Is Magic Duels the cheapest/best way to be reintroduced to the game?

Yeah, probably. That or doing drafts

quote:

If I were to want to buy a pre-made custom deck (not a set's starter pack), which online sellers are best?

I like the duel decks. The old event decks were pretty good starting points as well.

quote:

Will my 5 or 6-digit DCI number still work? I see the new ones are 2000 digits long.

Sup, fellow 6-digit DCI Bro. You need to have your account updated on the Wizards site, but you can basically bring your number along with you.

quote:

Anyone want to send me extra cards to get me rolling?

Sure, PM me. You gotta cover shipping costs, though.

quote:

What should I do to my brother, who evidently decided to sell my collection in 2006-ish? Laughing at the current price of dual lands, Unglued, and all the fun cards I had collected from Beta to Invasion.

Live and let live, I say

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Tortilla Maker posted:

Yes: Standard is Type 2, Vintage is Type 1 and Legacy is 1.5. Extended is no longer a thing, but Modern has taken its place as an in-between format.

quote:

Mana burn didn't really add anything interesting to the game. There's a story about how they decided to experiment in R&D with removing mana burn for a few weeks, and at the end of it most people forgot they were even doing it because mana burn just never came up.

quote:

Besides a ton of new keywords, the biggest thing would be Planeswalkers, a new permanent type. They have their own "life" in loyalty counters, can be attacked as if they were a player, and once per turn you can activate their abilities while adding or removing loyalty counters. They're pretty easy to understand but definitely have a unique play pattern to them. Rules-wise, combat damage no longer goes on the stack, and the mulligan process has gone through a few iterations.

quote:

Is Magic Duels the cheapest/best way to be reintroduced to the game?

Probably. You won't get the full experience, but as a means to learn the basic rules and see most of the new cards, it's a good entry point.

quote:

Will my 5 or 6-digit DCI number still work? I see the new ones are 2000 digits long.

Yes, I still use a 6-digit number.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cactrot posted:

It verges into ancient when you don't pidgeon-hole it, the olmecs were around 3500 years ago.

I mean, you can play this game with practically every culture on the planet. As a generic statement, especially given the popular conflation of Mesoamerican society with Aztec society, it's certainly fair to say that they're really not ancient at all.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some big jargon changes - "In Play" is now "The Battlefield", you "cast" spells rather than "play" them (though you still play lands), "dies" is a shortcut word for something going to the graveyard from the battlefield. It seems weird and arbitrary but the grammar and rules are much more concise and legible as a result, and those changes are generally considered great after the fact.

Legends are also pretty significantly different from when you said you stopped playing. Legendary is a supertype (like Snow or Basic) that can be put on any permanent type. So Legendary Creature - Goblin, Legendary Enchantment, etc. Each player can have a single copy of a legendary permanent on the battlefield at a time, you can cast another one but as soon as it enters the battlefield you choose one to send to the graveyard as a state based action. They aren't stopped from being cast anymore, and they have no effect at all on opponent's Legendary cards. Planeswalkers work the same way, except using their planeswalker type instead of their name. There are multiple Jace cards with different names, you can only have one Jace on the battlefield at once.

There's another rarity, mythic rares, which have a red set symbol. These were supposed to be only big splashy things and Legendary story dudes, but also include pushed tournament staples because gently caress you, give Wizards money.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817553

New thread, where I finally remove that reference to Extended in the FNM section! How long has that been there? Dang.
Tl;dr: Stop posting in the old thread ya goons! :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Shortest Path posted:

Legends are also pretty significantly different from when you said you stopped playing. Legendary is a supertype (like Snow or Basic) that can be put on any permanent type. So Legendary Creature - Goblin, Legendary Enchantment, etc.

This hasn't changed. There were legendary lands in the original Legends set and the first legendary artifact was printed in Stronghold.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh right, it's just creatures that were "Creature - Legend" or whatever.

A whoooole bunch of creature cards got creature types added to them that they didn't have for various reasons. Lords and old legends are the most significant ones.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Wotc gonna swerve us and one of them is pirates tribal with an errata of all precious unglued clams as pirates

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Siivola posted:

Tl;dr: Stop posting in the old thread ya goons! :v:

then he should have closed this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Tortilla Maker posted:

What should I do to my brother, who evidently decided to sell my collection in 2006-ish? Laughing at the current price of dual lands, Unglued, and all the fun cards I had collected from Beta to Invasion.

Unless you're into vintage or legacy you wouldn't be playing with those old cards anyway, except for the few that were reprinted into modern or useful for Commander.

Also take care of your own things, then no one is to blame for something happening to them except for you.

• Locked thread