Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
In the Last Kingdom thread we were talking about cool TV shows we'd like to see made and I thought, since TVIV is mostly specific show discussion threads, that I'd start a thread like this to spice things up. Keep in mind this is a discussion thread, not a list thread, so feel free to discuss any mentioned shows.

The Elric Saga

This is about a really emo dude who lives in a fantasy kingdom, has white hair, and a giant sword that drinks the souls of people it kills which in turn keeps said emo dude from zoning out on the couch all day. I loved this series as a kid and I think it would make a great grim dark fantasy serial drama.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

There are a lot of adaptions of this, but none done by the US. HBO would be great for this. Throw in some Wuxia and this would be the perfect Chinese Game of Thrones.

Sengoku

"a period in Japanese history marked by social upheaval, political intrigue and near-constant military conflict." Shogun era Warlords like Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu, Samurai, and Ninja all killing the poo poo out of each other in a huge GoT-style serial drama bookended with quotes from the Hakagure.

Monster

This is actually an Anime, it's pretty well regarded. It's about a doctor travelling in Germany, trying to track down a kid who's life he previously saved but who might be the next Hitler. I think Daniel Dae Kim would be great for the lead role.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

A huge, sweeping, amazing space opera. This would basically be like a futuristic sci-fi space version of Game of Thrones. There's a lot of really great material for a show to work with here.

Carnivale S3 - Not technically a new show but if anything deserves to be brought back it's this and the next show. Carnivale was such an amazing slow burn show. The mysticism and lore of the avatars was some of the best in tv or film. Michael J Anderson was freaking amazing and Nick Stahl really shines as well. The season 2 cliffhanger is brutal and everyone who watches this fiends for season 3.

Deadwood S4 - Given the post series popularity of this show and Carnivale I'm amazed HBO hasn't brought them back. I remember there actually being an interview with the new head of HBO where he even said cancelling Deadwood and Carnivale was a mistake.

Twilight Zone - I know they've remade it twice already, but the Twilight Zone was a show that pushed the boundaries in ways no other show ever did and I really want to see something like that on the air again, because it was something that really made people think. Like it was the antithesis of reality shows. (The one show I can think of think of that comes close to doing this recently was Black Mirror.) It would require a lot of forward thinking writing because as saw with the remakes a lot of the classic lessons and themes from the previous versions are too well known now, and need to be reworked in a way that people wouldn't see coming like they didn't when the show originally aired, but I think it's possible.

So, those are a few off the top of my head. What would you guys like to see made or remade or brought back?

EDIT: Added some art

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Space Above and Beyond drat you!!!

There are actually a ton of shows that would benefit so much more from the current model and direction of TV distro.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

zoux posted:

Space Above and Beyond drat you!!!

There are actually a ton of shows that would benefit so much more from the current model and direction of TV distro.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, it's not just that viewing habits have changed but with Netflix and Amazon Prime you've got a system where shows, like deep serial drama's, which lend themselves to binge watching, and had previously had trouble under the more episodic classic television model, can find new life, and new shows can be produced with that format in mind.

As a serial drama junkie myself, I'm excited to see what comes next and I hope the Netflix/Amazon Prime models continue to expand and evolve.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 18, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see someone try a Dresden Files show again, preferably a major network that could give it a decent budget to work with. Probably will never happen though because of how bad the last one did.

Also Nickelodeon should do remakes of Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Basebf555 posted:

Also Nickelodeon should do remakes of Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts.

Ha, that brings back memories.

Watch out for those man-eating jackrabbits and killer cacti!

Also, growing up, Budnick was a kids best role model.

• Locked thread