Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.
My first fantasy novel, Gilded Shadows, hit the shelves in July of this year via new(ish) midlist publisher, New Link. I met them a couple of years back at the Las Vegas Writers' Conference. They loved my pitch, then my samples, and we just seemed to click all around. After months of editing and some back and forth on the cover, I couldn't be happier with the finished product.

Being a mid-list (but growing) company, I have to do a lot of my own marketing, especially in my own area. I expected it. They even gave me an extensive list of ideas to try and these are where my questions to all of CC's marketing artists come in:

What marketing method have you found works the best for you? I'm aware it won't necessarily work the same way for me but I'd like to know what you guys did.

Blog tours? I have the damnedest time coming up with a theme to post about regularly. It all feels forced to me. And aren't blogs a dime a dozen now? I'm willing to try it again if folks have a strong enough endorsement.

YouTube style book trailers? My publisher is actually pushing a little to make these. Something like this (they have a partnership with the company who made this one, so we can get them at a discount). It's not something they do for their authors (yet) and they understand some of us can't afford it. I could...if I thought it could be profitable. I'm on the fence about this one.

Author interviews? Both with local TV and radio (I'm in a small enough town that I might be able to swing that) AND the question and answer kind you'd do with a friend to post on YouTube.

Suggestions for places to advertise? I have the basics: my website, a Facebook "fan page," Good Reads, etc. I tried an ad on Facebook for a short time. Damned if I know how it worked, sales-wise, though.

Reviewers I could query? I've Googled this a few times and I'm up in the air both on who's legit and who would help me most.

Additional crap I know I'm forgetting? Any input would be appreciated.

Oh! And if any of you are shopping around for publishers, Mystic Publishers (New Link's parent company) is currently accepting queries.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Congratulations on getting published! Did you have representation, or did you submit to the publisher directly?

Ironically, your marketing questions will probably get the most discussion in the selfpub megathread. There's a lot of talk about how to handle promotion there -- ads, mailing lists, etc. There's even some chatter on book trailers starting here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639693&pagenumber=99#post453028514

Hard Luck Hank's writer did at least one trailer, but I don't know how much that contributed to his success.

Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.
Oh, yeah, the self-pub thread! Thanks :)

• Locked thread