Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Christ, I hope this is ironic...

Listening to it now, will post my thoughts today! Also promise mine is burning as we speak and it'll be on it's way to you shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Wow that was a lot bigger than I expected...

Well let it ring in the new page then.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
All rightie, sent my mixes at last. Should arrive in about two weeks or so.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
So here's the first mix by My Lovely Horse!

(It came with stickers!)

Sounds Of The Future

I've been warned that "if you don't like synthesisers, you're not going to have a good time with this one". Here we go....!

1. Final Program - Protect & Survive
Synthesisers, synthesisers everywhere! This starts with sirens, then moves into a slightly sleepy electronic mosey. Very much feels like background music to an old DOS adventure game. 6/10

2. Yön - I Dream
Synth-infused post-punk. Moody but groovy at the same time, very lo-fi sound. I can imagine Trent Reznor covering this in his early years. 7/10

3. Das Kabinette - The Cabinet
Similar to the previous track, but even darker and more gothic. About the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari! I really dig this one for some reason. 9/10

4. Fad Gadget - Ricky's Hand
Oh dang, this is even more stark and off-putting, in a good way. Early industrial, with a really abrasive set of samples. Definitely listening to more of this. 9/10

5. Seppuku - New Illusion
This one's funkier, and the lyrics are angsty as all hell, to comical degrees. Still, it's kind of sweet, and the synth solo is pure 1985. 8/10

6. Cccandy - Acid A Gogo
Apparently this one's from 2010! It's a very faithful reproduction of dirty, claustrophobic early-80s electronic music, and doesn't outstay its welcome either. 7/10

7. Inertia - The Screen
Evil computer! Layered synths! Monotony of modern technology! Impassive English-accented vocals! If I had a bingo card for this mix I'd already have filled it out by this point. 7/10

8. The Human League - The Path Of Least Resistance
Shamefully I only know a couple of Human League songs, so I'm happy to be further educated on them. This is early Human League, and it's much more stripped-down than their better-known hits. "The truth is, comfort kills", says Philip Oakley, over the pulsing synths and sparse percussion. Not doing much for me, sadly. 6/10

9. Hospital People - Crash
I was hoping this is inspired by the JG Ballard novel, but I don't think it is. It's very moody, though the production's a little softer (maybe because this track is from 2001). Pretty simple concept, which means it feels much longer than it actually is. Nice atmosphere, though. 7/10

10. New Dimension - Cask Of Possibilities
This one's a little more upbeat, and I'm getting some Pet Shop Boys vibes from the synths. Pretty muddy sound, and the vocals are pretty indistinct, which is a shame since I like the guy's voice. And it has a proper anthemic(?) chorus! 8/10

11. Paul Nova - Famous Boys
My favourite track so far. It's sad, it's got kind of a swing beat to it, and very faint saxophone (probably synth sax) - the kind of thing I can see playing in the background of a low-budget neo-noir film. 9/10

12. Almost Alone - Blue City
This one's more of a song than a dirge, and the synths are gorgeous. "Take me back to Blue City / where I can be near you...It's obvious you love yourself / So love someone else". dang, this guy is mopey, but he's naive and hopeful at the same time. It's perfect. 9/10

13. Soft Cell - Sex Dwarf
I loving love Soft Cell and I loving love this song. 11/10

14. Depeche Mode - Photographic
I never got fully into Depeche Mode, despite liking a lot of their songs. This one's new to me, though I swear I've heard it somewhere before. It also gets some fun OMD-style synth-plinking in the background. Like this one a lot! 9/10

15. Talk Talk - Another World
drat, this is good. Gorgeous melancholy vocals, the perfect 1982 sound, with extravagant synths and a danceable beat. I need more Talk Talk in my life. 10/10

16. Berlin - The Metro
It's nice to have some female (and American) vocals after so many interchangeable "Sad English Man" stuff, and Terri Nunn's voice is lovely. Again, I only knew a few Berlin songs, and this one's new to me. Really fun though, with a lot of very silly-sounding synths in the middle. 8/10

17. SSQ - Jet Town
Ooooh, this is nice. Lovely layers of synth, guitar stings and that one "echo clap" percussion you hear on half the hits of the 80s. I can't keep the grin off my face. 9/10

18. Silicon Teens - Just Like Eddie
Oh my goodness this is ridiculous. The synths sound like they come from the Moog Cookbook. Was this on a children's album? I don't know if I love this or really loving hate it. 7/10

19. Basking Sharks - Club International
Every track on this mix has done something slightly different with their synths. Different sounds, different mood. This one has opted for the "Let's just mash our hands on the keyboard for the intense bits!" style. This is a good song otherwise, some great nuclear-scare lyrics and a nice mellow backing beat. 8/10

20. The Legendary Pink Dots - A Velvet Resurrection
We close with a heartfelt monologue over an atmospheric "towering city in the dead of night" kind of soundscape. It's also rather strange. Wonderful way to finish the album. 9/10

All in all, pretty great! The earlier lo-fi tracks sort of blended into each other, but the second half of this mix was really fun. Thanks a lot! I'll be getting to the second mix soon!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my lovely horse sure loves new wave. i'm not saying that as a bad thing because i'm not familiar with the genre, but there was a lot even on the general mix CD

still slogging along trying to scrape some money together because i am broke and unemployed at the moment

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I certainly do! Was actually a little concerned I might have overdone it.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I was hoping this is inspired by the JG Ballard novel
Can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4
Was a strong candidate for the mix as well, but it came down to this or Fad Gadget. Fun fact: it's the same guy who's behind Silicon Teens, and the founder of Mute Records.

Speaking of Silicon Teens, this might clear some things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIiQ8iNvKc
There's a whole album of this stuff, and it's amazing. I think it's even on Spotify.

Human League: yeah, the first two albums are like that pretty much throughout. Then they split up and Oakey kept the name, but had a tour scheduled to start two weeks later, so he picked up two girls from a club to join the band. And then they made Dare and, as they say, the rest is history.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Gutted I missed sign-ups. Anyone want to do a digital swap?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
My Lovely Horse: I have listened to your CDs and yours is in the post to you as we speak, so look out for that! And yes I did totally cheap out and send your own parcel back with my CDs in it. Will post my write-up...soon! Initial impressions: wow that is a lot of synths, I think I prefer the variety of the 2nd CD.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Always good to recycle. Yeah, I came across and listened to enough old synth stuff recently that the mix practically made itself. And then I thought I'd better make an effort to get away from it as far as possible with the other one. :v:

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

My Lovely Horse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4
Was a strong candidate for the mix as well, but it came down to this or Fad Gadget. Fun fact: it's the same guy who's behind Silicon Teens, and the founder of Mute Records.
Oh, don't worry, I adore Warm Leatherette!

quote:

Speaking of Silicon Teens, this might clear some things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIiQ8iNvKc
There's a whole album of this stuff, and it's amazing. I think it's even on Spotify.

Oh my good gracious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Before I go into my review of Gertrude Perkins' LKTRNK (amd might I add, you missed a chance at a super witty title - should have all been instrumentals :v:), another one or two followups: a lot of these musicians found their own stuff on youtube and commented, which is how I found out that Paul Nova (one of the few artists on this mix, excluding the big names, who have more than one single to their name in the first place) even put up not only the whole album Famous Boys is from, but also his 2015 album. 31 year gap between albums is quite something. Seems to be a decent guy; so does one of the guys from Almost Alone, who not only offered to send original singles to folks in a youtube comment thread, but also did so at the risk of associating his online presence with his 80s hairstyle from the cover.

Anyway.

I never manage to find the right points scale, so I've just taken to marking the tracks I like extremely well with a star.

* Sportsday Megaphone - I Think It's Love
Nice indie-poppy kickoff to the mix. Good synths, some guitar, some chiptune influence. Already checked out the album it's from!

Whitetail - Abyss
Catchy hook tying together a fairly long track that switches between styles a few times.

BT feat. tyDi & Tania Zygar - Stem The Tides (Original Mix)
Sure sounds like a remix. Not bad, but it doesn't quite have the staying power for ten minutes... that said, the last third changes things up and it becomes pretty good again!

DJ Mastercard - Cryogenics
Almost reminds me of a remixed Street Fighter track. And i could swear those stabs are sampled straight from a SNES game.

Dirk Rugged - Unknown Sludge
More of an instrumental industrial track supported by some synths, not bad at all.

Cate Wurtz - Home Bittersweet Home
This reminds me a bit of Boards of Canada, although I should add that what I know by Boards of Canada is mainly the loop used in Salad Fingers. More obscure comparison: Qua.

Fevrier - Mandala
Not unexpectedly, this has some West Asian notes, but they're a lot more subdued than I expected from the title.

* Shlohmo - Ten Days of Falling
This one really grew on me. Somewhere between melancholy and menacing, I could imagine this as the soundtrack to something really weird and cool.

Floex - Sub-Totemic Arci Code (Tom Hodge Remix)
Calm piano tune accompanied by ambient, almost industrial noise. Very night time-y. Actually this might be growing on me the same way the previous one did.

Chtin Mara - Scent of the Wolf -
Oof, there's structure to it, it just feels too noisy. Doesn't do much for me.

* Local Wizards - Let's Go Out
Incredibly catchy, with weird glitchy vocals. My favourite so far! Again, tracked down the album already.

Paul Leonard-Morgan - Order in the Chaos
Super short detour into the realm of the semi-industrial.

* Minamotoya - Witching Hour
I have a feeling I shouldn't like this, but it's so energetic I can't help but. :v:

All Levels At Once - Depender
Pretty dubsteppy, and I've been known to enjoy that from time to time!

Dario Russo - Dance Witches
Huge 80s Italo vibes with a heavily processed vocals style that I swear I know from a fairly popular song.

Tut Tut Child - Barghest
Starts out like a film soundtrack so much I almost thought I'd caught some Vangelis on here.

LCD Soundsystem - Yeah (Crass Version)
Yeah.

Overall: good mix of different modern electronic styles, and it's put me on two two or three musical tracks that I'll have to see where they take me. Thanks!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I continue to be a terrible person, between car issues and fucktons of snow I have not gotten to the post office yet. But Monday the roads will be not sheets of ice and I'll have a working car.

Hopefully.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Finally got poo poo fixed up, and I just sent out the discs! Sorry for the delay, I wasn't expecting ImgBurn to take a massive shitfit about this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want to apologize to my partners. I've been very busy lately and still haven't completed my mixes. I'll try and get them out next week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Time for a review of Gertrude Perkins' second mix, Mood(y) Music!

* Saul Williams - Horn Of The Clock-Bike
Poetry over a minimalist beat built around a frantic piano loop. Pretty intense and cool.

* Clinic - Radiostory
Kinda similar in broad concept - spoken vocals over sparse instrumentation, prominently featuring an organ this time - that nonetheless comes out as something completely different. Reminds me a bit of Tindersticks.

Grace Petrie - Overheard
Indie folk about political correctness. Kinda reminds me of Billy Bragg, maybe it's the accent.

Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapelles - Strange Love
More quiet, acoustic, still folky. This could straight up be from Conway Savage and Suzie Higgie's album Soon Will Be Tomorrow. Check it out if this is your thing.

Samm Neiland - Leave me Alone (Not by Choice)
First one that's not so memorable. Not bad, nice moody song (I went four tracks without using the title word!), but the others so far have been standing out more.

Second Person - Paper Umbrella
I try not to put songs down too much in these reviews, but the only thing I can think of is "trying for trip hop, hitting the Spice Girls Ballad mark". With better lyrics, mind.

Natti feat. Jason Coffey - Black Diamonds
Hey, straight up hip hop, nice soul chorus, pretty mellow all in all. Need to listen to more of this stuff.

Ximena Sarinana - Tomorrow
It's alright? I dunno, doesn't do much for me.

Emperor X - Fierce Resource Allocation
Pretty weird pop tune carried by some nice clean synths, could get used to this.

Disemballerina - Carpathia
Melancholy strings/acoustic guitar tune, part Apocalyptica, part Devil Eyes. It's very good, just not quite my cup of tea, entirely personally.

* Doomtree - Mini Brute
... like, the synthesizer? Sure sounds like it could be one. Anyway, a very intense hip hop track. Kinda takes some of the stuff that 90s nu metal bands brought to the table back into one of the genres nu metal was influenced by, and the result is quite good. Everything is cyclical. Ommmm.

* Darren Korb feat. Ashley Barrett - We All Become
Transistor is great, the atmosphere is great, the soundtrack is great.

Pacific//Hotline - Santa Cruz
They say they're doing a retrowave/synthpop thing and by rights I should be into that, but the way they do it - or at least this track - it just comes out as fairly plain modern indie pop.

Cold Cave - The Great Pan Is Dead
Like a metal band covering The Cure. Which turns out to not be the hottest combination.

Ana Tijoux - Shock
We've got some female-fronted Spanish rap here, and that's already a pretty cool concept. It's not a track I'm super in love with but I like that it exists.

Deerhoof - Tiny Bubbles
Weird avant-garde, post-rock-y thing that isn't bad but does kind of fizzle out before it gets anything going.

Anushka - Yes Guess
Chill club tune; this is a scene I know next to nothing about but hey, I do know I could do a lot worse than this one. Puts me in the mood to play some Lumines, actually. :v:

* Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life
Extended sax solo over what I'd guess is some African-inspired rhythm backing, some steel drums I think... and one hell of a chorus hook, this is actually really cool. Have to check out more.

Mom - Warped Tour
Eh, Moldy Peaches did this sort of thing better.

* I Am Kloot - Twist (French)
Suddenly I'm in a half empty bar and smoking a cigarette. It happens every time I put this track on and the trip back is always a huge hassle. It's very cool.

* Rioghnach Robinson - Thus Spoke Carly Rae
So it turns out that as far as explanations why you're desparately stifling the giggles go, "it's this cover of Call Me Maybe with lyrics about Friedrich Nietzsche" already goes way over most people's heads. Their loss. I guess I enjoy it mostly for the novelty value, but credit where it's due, Call Me Maybe is a really catchy tune.

On the whole, a bit of a hit-or-miss mix, but with far more hits than misses. At first I thought I'd not find any real standout tracks, but it's really more that there are more than usual. :v: I might check out more of Pacific//Hotline's stuff in addition, just to see if the other tracks are more retrowave-y.

Should mention at this point that I received Mowgli's Haircut's mixes a few days ago, buuut haven't yet had the time to dig into them. I'll try and get that done post haste!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Thanks for being so honest about my mixes so far, dude! Sounds like I picked a lot of stuff that's adjacent to stuff you already know and dig, so that's interesting. That Saul Williams track is off his new (like, three week old) album, and it's all excellent. He's great. I love him. Grace Petrie is very Billy Bragg - they've shared a lot of stages, and she cites him as one of her biggest influences! Doomtree and Melt Yourself Down are both awesome. I Am Kloot make some really gorgeous music, but when I saw them live the frontman was drunk off his arse and it was pretty naff.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Finally got round to writing up my thoughts on My Lovely Horse's mix.
CD1 - Sounds of the Future
1. Protect & Survive - Sounds of the Future. - Bleep boop beep. Repetitive instrumental track to kick us off. Like I'm just sitting on the menu screen of a Megadrive game.

2. I Dream - Yon - Short electro/post-punk type tune. Like a slightly more synthy Joy Division. I don't really like Joy Division so this didn't do much for me.

3. The Cabinet - Das Kabinette - Same as above. A slightly monotonous electro tune with a singer doing the whole 'not quite singing' thing.

4. Ricky's Hand - Fad Gadget - Yeah sorry I feel like all my criticism of this song has been covered in the last two songs as well. A pattern is emerging and unfortunately I don't like it!

5. New Illusion - Seppuku - Yep, dissafected post-punk electro tune again.

6. Acid A Gogo - Cccandy - Pretty much an instrumental break? With a muffled voice mumbling stuff behind it? Everything so far feels very...bassless? With no depth or texture to it beyond surface level bleeps and bloops and repetitive drum-lines behind them. I feel like I'm being a bit harsh but as I'm sure you've gathered from my CD, our tastes are pretty different...

7. The Screen - Inertia - Didn't I just hear this song?

8. The Path of Least Resistance - Human League - My girlfriend saw the tracklist to this album and remarked that the only thing missing is some actual Kraftwerk to make the whole German techno fan bingo complete. This is ok but I think the singer is slightly more expressive which helps. Still never big on the Human League though.

9. Crash - Hospital People - This was pretty boring too.

10. Cash of Possibilites - New Dimension - This builds up to something a bit different at the end but overall the same as the rest.

11. Famous Boys - Paul Nova - Ditto.

12. Blue City - Almost None - Probably my favourite track so far, as it seemed to distinguish the chorus's from the verses and the singer got a bit more expressive.

13. Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell - The thing that appeals about Soft Cell over all the other tracks here is they sound like they're actually feeling an emotion. This song is gross and sleazy in a good way, and shows you can do the dissafected electro thing, but without totally boring the pants off of me.

14. Photographic - Depeche Mode - Never into Depeche Mode really.

15. Another Word - Talk Talk - aaand we're back to the usual.

16. Metro - Berlin - Oh look a female singer! Apart from that this track is barely different to the rest.

17. Jet Town - SSQ - This had a bit more to like about it, had a bit more depth and I enjoyed the way it built up as well.

18. Just Like Eddie - Silicon Teens - This is a very silly song in that it sounds like a band like The Kinks but filtered through cheesy electro beats. Liked it.

19. Club International - Basking Sharks - Ho-hum.

20. A Velvet Resurrection - The Legendary Pink Dots - And we end how we began, with a repetitive monotonous drone of electro beats and muffled unemotional voices.

Sorry My Lovely Horse for the harsh review, but this CD didn't hold my attention at all. Besides two or three outlying tracks that I enjoyed it was incredibly repetitive, doubly so as all the songs sounded the same all the way through and the same as each other! Double repetition. I enjoyed your second CD a lot more so will post a write-up in due time. Thanks for sending them though! You never do know with these things...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that's fine, I was pretty sure I'd be taking a gamble with that one. :v: Disaffectation is kind of the name of the game in that genre so, yeah. Funny thing is, I never could get into Kraftwerk. At all.

And Silicon Teens did do the Kinks! Doesn't seem to be on youtube, but spotify has you covered.

And here's finally the review of Gertrude Perkins' ROCKQXZ. This mix as a whole really grew on me the more I listened to it. It's got everything from indie rock over metal to punk and a few outliers; I don't really listen to a lot of contemporary music, so it was good to get a little sample of that.

Mew - My Complications
A riff straight out of a PS2 Burnout game, paired with surprisingly soft vocals. I dig it, but the instrumental bits are markedly better than the vocals bits.

Ken Ashcorp - Hunter
And if the whole song sounded like them, it probably wouldn't be entirely unlike this rocking tune. Neat.

Lux Lisbon - Bullingdon Club
I'm not the authority on The Killers or anything, but I can't help but think "wow these guys sure sound a whole lot like The Killers." In a way that makes me think they're very well aware and doing their best to play it up.

Desaparecidos - The Amo Camila Vallejo
All I was gonna say was "catchy, huge singalong factor, but if I'm completely honest it sounds a little focus grouped for maximum open air festival suitability." And then I looked them up and realized it was Conor Oberst. Don't know how I didn't realize that right away, but it explains so much. Man even back when I listened to Bright Eyes I made sure no one would catch me doing it. :v:

Brody Dalle - Dressed In Dreams
Moving away from indie stuff a bit, here's a pretty grungy tune from 2014 that I would definitely have placed in the late 90s if I didn't have the dates right here.

* The Octopus Project - Mmkit
Now we're on to something - very energetic, comparatively minimalist instrumental with some pretty cool synth pads and electro effects in the background. Like it a lot!

Corpo-Mente - Dulcin
Slowly entering the metal portion of the mix, although you wouldn't know it right away. This opera metal isn't exactly a new concept, but they carry it very well. And they even incorporate some electro stutter effects. Very nice!

* Battle Beast - Neuromancer
Super oldschool power metal with juuust the right amount of modern effects. Somehow wasn't surprised these guys are from Finland. Excellent!

Fightstar - Tannhäuser Gate
Uuugh I dunno about this one. There's a huge contrast between the metal-y and the more melodic bits and apparently that's specifically these guys' thing but I don't think they quite pull it off, at least on this track.

** BATS - Gamma Ray Burst
Love in times of the impending apocalypse through cosmic event. I'll be honest, initially I was like "ugh it's super technical metal stuff, next" but then the lyrics got my attention, and the more I listened to it... long story short it's now my favourite out of all three mixes and I bought the album right away, and it's pretty great too!

We Butter The Bread With Butter - Alles was ich will
German band #1! I was vaguely aware these guys existed but had no idea what they did. Basically I'd heard the band name somewhere before and that's it. Turns out deathcore isn't all that bad, but not something I'd go for usually.

Mad Capsule Markets - All The Time In Sunny Beach
The stanzas are hardcore and the chorus is surf punk. Kinda wish it was all one or the other. This way I like about half the song. Also, suddenly we're in the (actual) 90s!

Cardiacs - She Is Hiding behind The Shed
Suddenly we're in the early 90s! And listening to prog-ish punk. Or punky prog. Not quite working for me I'm afraid.

Elastica - Your Arse My Place
Pretty typical turn-of-the-millenium vaguely Sonic Youth-ish alternative. Had higher hopes for it from the title.

ZSK - Was uns noch übrig bleibt
German band #2! Never heard of these guys before. So I'm not super into this whole skate punk thing, but this track really grew on me. It's super hard to write German lyrics that aren't cliched or clumsy without going into hyper artsy avantgarde stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that), but these guys pull it off. And reading up on them, I like their attitude.

Bomb The Music Industry! - Never Trust A Man Without A Horribly Embarrassing Secret
Super fast punk rock beat and a thin buzzy synth, this is going places OH NO TRAPPED IT'S SKA, WHY

... I mean, I like the Specials as much as the next guy, but I never could get into all this ska punk stuff. I don't know why.

Scanners - Bombs
Mid-2000s indie rock, catchy, but no standout.

Kenickie - Classy
Yep, that sure is some late 90s punk rock. The main riff is pretty good but that late 90s stuff is always a bit... eh.

* Flobots feat. Tim McIlrath
Surprise hip hop out of nowhere, albeit backed by guitars. Very good, very strong lyrics!

Tsuko G. - Airman Ga Taosenai - I Can't Beat Airman
Well, we've all been there. Super silly song, but also catchy and fun!

On the whole, even if it seems like I'm coming down hard on some songs, a very good mix with quite a few standouts JUST WHY SKA :v:

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Two months later than I had intended, here's disc 1 of 3 from Shnakepup, "Not Rap!" Anything 4/5 or above is probably getting saved to a playlist somewhere.

1. Win Win- Victim- Great guitar riff to start off, but it's a little repetitive. 3/5
2. Bumblebeez- Freak Your Loneliness- Getting a real 90s alt-rock vibe off of this. Slightly too overproduced for me, and the weird-rear end bridge and interspersed feedback noises are total songwreckers. 2/5
3. Torre Florim- Firestarter- The lead singer has a really smooth quality to his voice, and the orchestral bell (possibly a glockenspiel?) accompaniment is the good kind of unique. The production effect on the guitar that makes it sound like a sitar being played backwards is the only thing I hate, but I hate it quite a bit. 3/5
4. Wavves X Cloud Nothings- Come Down- I wish the instrumental portion of the chorus was less intentionally dissonant, because despite the repetition, the song's really growing on me. The riff is super catchy. 3.5/5
5. School of Seven Bells- When You Sing- I listen to these CDs twice, and this one was somehow way better the second time. Also has a catchy riff. Nothing spectacular about it, but nothing objectionable either! 4/5
6. Phantogram- Bad Dreams- Great percussion part, but the rest of the song isn't doing it for me. Sorry dude, I just don't like this kind of music very much, always reminds me of the stuff they pipe over the speakers in every clothing chain ever. 3/5
7. Baths- Ossuary- Good vocals! Simple but intriguing. Still in that electronic pop/rock/trance genre I don't like, but this one's pretty unobjectionable. 3/5
8. Young Fathers- Shame- Any song with even a fake wood percussion part gets a little more leeway from me. Really liking the vocals on this one at the start, but I wish it had a better instrumental part, it could use more backing than a synth bass. Song gets worse as it goes on, like a descent into random noise hell. 2/5
9. Coma- Lora- Another one that sounds like the last time I bought jeans. Nope, sorry. 2/5
10. Best Coast- Feeling Okay- Oh thank god it's back to 90s rock. Good rock, even! I like the guitar riff, the vocals are nice as well. Reminds me a bit of Garbage, actually. 4/5
11. Modest Mouse- Dashboard- Can't understand a word they're loving saying, but I like the horns and the guitar so whatever. 3.5/5
12. Toro Y Moi- Half Dome- Pleasantly psychedelic. 4/5
13. Courtney Barnett- Elevator Operator- Probably my favorite song on the whole CD. Great singer, catchy riff and percussion, and the story's fun as well. 5/5
14. Hockey Dad- I Need a Woman--It's like they wrote 4 really good bars and figured they were done for the night, and then only the lyricist ever came back to it. Nothing wrong with it except it's far, far too melodically repetitive. Also I swear the drummer speeds up and slows down minutely from measure to measure, which is surprisingly annoying. 3/5
15. The Go! Team- Her Last Wave- Sounds pleasant enough, too repetitive. I feel like a broken record here, but that's pretty much my only problem with the song. Interesting chord structure at least? 3/5
16. Surfer Blood- Floating Vibes- Nice chill surfer rock. Great vocal harmonies, and the riff interacts with the percussion interestingly. 4/5
17. Spoon- Let Me Be Mine- Really like the rhythm guitar here, and I've always enjoyed that syncopated percussion. Wish it didn't have that slight high-pitched ringing when the singer drops out sometimes (may actually be someone playing a water glass? similar sound.) Abrupt ending. 3.5/5
18. Future Islands- Seasons (Waiting On You) (BADBADNOTGOOD Re-interpretation)- Almost Motown-esque sound, a real slow crooner with some jazzy chords and a poppy rhythm section. Very enjoyable! 4/5.
19. The Mountain Goats- Heel Turn 2- I think I would like this song better if it was being sung by someone else, because the vocalist has this shake to his voice that I realize was probably supposed to sound authentic, but just makes me think he's either about to start crying or is incredibly nervous. Did not need to be 6 minutes long. Why does it end with like 2 minutes of an unrelated melody on piano? 3/5

Overall, this CD was pretty meh for me, mostly due to my non-interest in most of the genres represented. Sorry! I promise the next two CDs were better received. I will hopefully get to runchild's single CD next, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good news to my mix partners, i have a job and soon i will be getting my first paycheck from it, so in a couple of weeks i'll send word of my mix being sent out. i've had it ready for a while but i have no CDs to burn them on

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

quote:

School of Seven Bells- When You Sing- I listen to these CDs twice, and this one was somehow way better the second time. Also has a catchy riff. Nothing spectacular about it, but nothing objectionable either! 4/5

Funny thing, I actually edited that track to make it shorter. The part where it fades out? Yeah, in the original it goes on for another few minutes or so, it's like an 8 minute song. I trimmed it mainly to make it fit in the mix so I could include more songs overall, and because I think its kinda repetitive after a while. I just like the mood and tempo of the song.

quote:

The Mountain Goats- Heel Turn 2- I think I would like this song better if it was being sung by someone else, because the vocalist has this shake to his voice that I realize was probably supposed to sound authentic, but just makes me think he's either about to start crying or is incredibly nervous. Did not need to be 6 minutes long. Why does it end with like 2 minutes of an unrelated melody on piano?

John Darnielle, the singer, just always sounds like that. I guess he's an acquired taste. I think I remember thinking his voice sounded a little goofy when I first found him. IIRC, I actually first heard them from an SA CD Swap of yesteryear. Yeah, the track's a bit long - to be honest I usually hit the "skip" button on my iphone once the main part of the actual song finishes, I usually don't let the whole piano segment play. I thought it'd be a nice way to end the mix, you know? Stick it at the end, have a little peaceful denouement, that sort of thing. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Pinechild posted:

Overall, this CD was pretty meh for me, mostly due to my non-interest in most of the genres represented. Sorry! I promise the next two CDs were better received. I will hopefully get to runchild's single CD next, though.

Hey, thanks for the review! Glad you ended up liking the other discs. I need to get off my rear end and post some thoughts about the mixes you sent me. Overall I was pretty pleased.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Shnakepup posted:

Interesting information!

Good to know about those two songs, always interesting to hear why people picked what they picked. Take your time with the review, not like I don't have 3 CDs of backlog either. Speaking of, here's a review of runchild's ALGECIRAS!

1. Susanne Sundfør- Delirious: I understand why you would choose a song that sounds like the THX noise for a full minute as your opening, but oh god no. The rest of the song is good enough (I really do like the vocal harmonies, well produced on a technical level, and a good soundscape in general), but Christ, that opening. Ending is also a little incongruous. 2.5/5 (3.5/5 without opening, may try to edit this)
2. Young the Giant- Teachers
: Catchy riff! Quite a contrast from the previous song but that's not a terrible thing. Good high energy, and the quiet bridge helps balance it out. I remember not liking the post-production cut-out effect on the end of the bridge the first time through but it's much less annoying now for some reason? 4/5
3. Niia- Mad World
: I would like this a lot more if I didn't loving love the Tears for Fears version. The way she pronounces some words (especially the Rs) is odd. Not finding much to recommend it over the original tbh, but not bad. 3/5
4. Jose Gonzalez- Killing for Love
: Ooh, guitar with a syncopated rhythm. Good vocals too, but it could either use another verse and a half of lyrics or about a minute less of repeats. 3.5/5
5. Foals- What Went Down
: Don't know what's bothering me about this one. Maybe not enough interesting chord progression, and what there is is all on the back end? Sound quality is pretty loud and crunchy as well. Pleasant enough but not a favorite. 3/5
6. Martina Topley Bird, Mark Lanegan, & Warpaint- Crystallised
: Cool xylophone, slinky vocals. Not a lot else coming to mind. 3.5/5
7. Oh Wonder- Technicolour Beat
: Not a fan of the backing track but the vocals are pretty great. Great melodic hook. Just a nice, slow, chill-out song. I can pretty much picture this being used in some art film over scenes of the protagonist and his girlfriend doing relationship stuff. 3.5/5
8. Walk the Moon- Down in the Dumps
: Flashback to the best parts of the late 80's with this synth track, good lord. Good vocals, nice boppy feel to it. Makes me smile. 4/5
9. Wye Oak- The Tower
: Cool staggering synth beat. Another chill-out track, but more boring than the previous one, and I'm not sure if I approve how they're using that cello. 3/5
10. Gypsy Cafe- Propizio Chitarra
: Can't ever remember what this genre is called but I love it. Just someone showing off how loving great they are at guitar, with their friends on drums and accordion helping out. Feels like a jam session where everybody's having a lot of fun. 4.5/5
11. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour- Fantasy Friend Forever
: Reminds me of Apples in Stereo, has the same kind of retro, high-energy vibe. Vocalist is a little annoying though, as is the the four-note riff on whatever instrument that is that comes in right before the last chorus. 3/5.
12. Heems- Soup Boys
: The word 'drone' no longer has any meaning. Rest of the song is pretty great actually, I like that nerdy try-hard rap. Edit: Oh, he's in Das Racist, that explains a lot. 3.5/5
13. Chris Reimo- Space rear end in a top hat
: This is my favorite thing holy poo poo. space asshooooooole. 5/5
14. Elton Britt- Uranium Fever
: oh poo poo retro-future ragtime, my one weakness. Is this a genre somewhere, is there more of this kind of thing I can find and throw money at? 5/5
15. Caro Emerald- Night Like This
: oh poo poo modern tango music, my other one weakness. Also the singer is REALLY good, my god. 5/5
16. Ataraxia- Deja Vu
: Son of a bitch, that's the intro music from The Adventure Zone! I started listening to that podcast after listen #1 of this CD, and I was like, "I've definitely heard this song before, what the gently caress was it?" Question answered! Anyway, good song, reminds me of the better class of videogame music, which God knows I've listened to enough of. 4/5
17. Zach Johnson- In Mexico
: The repetition and complete incoherence is somehow endearing, which was probably the intent, so good job. Good accordion use as well. 4/5
18. Nickel Creek- Destination
: Mmm, traditional-style country without all that modern bullshit is so loving good. Listen to that harmony! And the guitar work! 5/5
19. M83 (ft Susanne Sundfør)- Oblivion
: A bit jarring when compared to the last track, but I do like the bookend effect with using the same vocalist, and I like her quite a bit more this time. And I do like the piano reduction this time, since it's just distilling the rest of the song down to a quiet end. 3.5/5

Overall, it was a pretty good mix, and nearly everything from Space rear end in a top hat on was a total winner! Good job!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Sadly, I haven't heard anything at all from my other mix partner OfF KiLTeR.

But here's the other mix by My Lovely Horse:

The End! No Theme

1. Polysics - Baby Bias
I'm way into Polysics, and this song is one of their most fun. Jaunty, like a hyperkinetic Japanese DEVO. 9/10

2. The Pogues - Streams Of Whiskey
This is exactly what I was expecting from a Pogues song. Not super, but in no way bad. 6/10

3. Eläkeläiset - Sukellan Humppaan
Okay, I guess this is polka! Or rather, the Finnish equivalent, "humppa". The lead singer has the cadence of a Japanese lounge singer - the track feels a little lacking in energy. Also the bridge section is just weird sci-fi sound effects? Despite that, it's definitely grown on me. 8/10

4. The Doll - Desire Me
This is some traditional new wave from a band that sound very much like Blondie, though that might be heresy to hardcore fans. I like the song! It's got some nice guitar work and the symths aren't bad. 8/10

5. Martha And The Muffins - Echo Beach
First off: excellent band name. This is a similar sound to the previous track, though a little more 60s bubblegum pop here and there. Also there are some nice smooth saxophones. This is one of my favourites I think. 9/10

6. The Mekons - Where Were You
I think I've heard of these guys, but I forget where from. The drums are great, the guitars sound lovely. It's classic late-70s British punk! "Do you loik me?" the vocalist grumps. I kinda do. 8/10

7. The Stranglers - Dagenham Dave
Now these folks I've heard of. A great track to follow the last one - this is a little more musical and singalong, but still definitely grumpy, charismatic British punk. 9/10

8. Black Sabbath - Children Of The Grave
The only Sabbath I actually own is Paranoid, but I've heard this one before. It sounds exactly like what you'd expect from "1971 Black Sabbath" - I'm sure at the time this was absolutely face-melting, but it leaves me a little cold. 7/10

9. Steel Pulse - Babylon Makes The Rules
As one might expect from the title, this is purestrain reggae. It's about resisting social oppression, it's got a great bounce to the beat, and the vocals play with the instrumentation gorgeously. A real highlight. 10/10

10. Tindersticks - Whiskey & Water
This is very moody, downbeat, with some noisy grungy instrumentation. Definitely Nick Cave inspirations going on here. Also the vocals are exactly the kind of thing that modern folks like Woodkid wish they could pull off. Really very fond of this one. 9/10

11. The Gun Club - Ghost On The Highway
Oh hey, rockabilly-punk! Punkabilly? It's pretty neato, whatever it is. Feels pretty short, even though it's a full three-minute song. 8/10

12. 16 Horsepower - Praying Arm Lane
Some nice melancholy country, that could be straight out of an introspective neo-Western movie. The bridge section could be taken straight from something on your new wave mix, though, moody and echoey. Another one that really grew on me. 9/10

13. Kumikameli - Muinaismuisto
More Finnish stuff! This one's late-90s rock, but the verses sound more of a grunge throwback. I wish I spoke any Finnish, because with this kind of song the lyrics tend to make or break for me. Taken just on sound, it's inoffensive, but nothing special. 5/10

14. Grinderman - No Pussy Blues
Grinderman are one of those bands I keep getting songs from in mix exchanges, but never actually get the albums of. I really should, since I love Nick Cave. And grouchy monologuing Nick Cave is my favourite kind. 9/10

15. Do Make Say Think - Horns Of A Rabbit
Atmospheric, moody post-rock, up-tempo and really drat cool. Gonna have to check these guys out properly. 9/10

16. Nomeansno - Our Town
I recently had Nomeansno recommended to me! Another band hella influenced by Nick Cave here, an eight-minute portrait of a dark urban wasteland. It's good, but I zoned out a fair bit - it doesn't change up too interestingly to justify the full eight minutes. 7/10

17. Louise Attaque - Si L'on Marchait Jusqu'à Demain
Very French indeed. It's groovy, with a nice bassline, and I like the guy's voice a fair bit. 8/10

18. The Vanity Set - Little Stabs Of Happiness
Very Britpop-sounding (but Greek-American according to Wikipedia) indie rock. Another Nick Cave-related band (the lead singer performs with the Bad Seeds), this is elevated from regular indie rock by some nice strings and a very silly Queen-style guitar solo. Also a tuba? Wild. 9/10

19.Nick Cave - Disco 2000
And we close with Nick Cave himself again - doing a cover of a really gorgeous Pulp song. And it's much slower and more melancholy than the original, which isn't surprising. The lack of energy means it doesn't grab me like Pulp's did, but this is lovely in its own way. A great way to finish the mix! 8/10

There's some really good stuff there, and only a couple I'd skip. Thanks again My Lovely Horse!!!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Pinechild posted:

Speaking of, here's a review of runchild's ALGECIRAS!

It’s always interesting to see what will and what won’t connect with someone. I’m glad you liked most of it okay and some of it a lot. A few fun facts about various songs:

Propizio Chitarra - Amusingly enough, this is actually supposed to be restaurant muzak. The album is just called “Italian Restaurant Music” and I can’t find anything else about or by the artist.

Space rear end in a top hat - Chris Remo (there’s no “i”, my bad, I hosed up my track listing) is a host of the podcast Idle Thumbs and a composer for video games. This song was a result of a discussion about Red Faction Guerrilla, a game in which you can be a hilarious rear end in a top hat on Mars.

Uranium Fever - I got this from the radio station in Fallout 4. It’s got lots of 40s/50s/60s songs about uranium, nuclear power, nuclear weapons, the end of the world, etc. And there’s even more that they didn’t include. You can’t drop a couple atomic bombs without the fallout (hah) spreading through pop culture. Here’s a bunch of them, though I didn’t immediately find any that are quite as rag-time. https://www.youtube.com/user/CivilDefenseSpot

In Mexico - Another song by a podcast host/video game maker, this time of Video Games Hot Dog/The KoL Podcast and The Kingdom of Loathing. It’s just silly nonsense and I love it.

My reviews are almost ready but it will have to wait until I get home from work tonight.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got my poo poo together and sent my mix in the post a couple of days ago, sorry for the long wait!

runchild
May 26, 2010

Disk 1: Hunter by Pinechild

1. Golden Earring - Radar Love: Starts as a good but not terribly special rock song. Goes into an extended bridge that brings some fun jazz into the mix, which elevates the rating a little. 3.5/5

2. Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief: Good metal song. Thumbs up. 4/5

3. Bomb the Music Industry - Stand There 'Til You're Sober: Don’t like this song much. The singer’s voice/style is unpleasant. The reversed guitar at the beginning is unpleasant. The electronic kick drum being only in the right channel is VERY unpleasant. At least “go to work, eat a dick” got a laugh out of me. 1/5

4. Barenaked Ladies - Every Subway Car: Barenaked Ladies are one of the few things on this album I'm familiar with, but I haven't really listened to them since Everything to Everyone. This is definitely encouraging me to listen to the many albums I've missed since then. 5/5

5. Jonathan Coulton - I Feel Fantastic: Similar story with Jonathon Coulton, though I’m not quite as compelled to catch up with his work as I am with Barenaked Ladies. This is a still a really fun/funny song, and it got stuck in my head real bad one day. 4/5

6. Hüsker Dü - Hate Paper Doll: Meh. 2/5

7. Bloodnstuff - Bloodnstuff: I was very relieved when the vocals came in and weren't screaming. I used to listen to a lot of screamo, but I kind of got over it. Anyways, I liked this song a lot. Bloodnstuff goes on my list to seek more of. 5/5

8. Dillinger Four - Q. How Many Punks Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb?: I am not a fan of that nasally “punk voice.” It’s otherwise okay. 3/5

9. Semisonic - Never You Mind: I like the backing piano. This one grew on me through repeated listenings, and rose from okay to pretty great. It’s also cool to hear something from Semisonic other than Closing Time. 4/5

10. Scooter - How Much Is The Fish: Taking a sharp turn from what we've had so far, it’s time for some German EDM. I did not expect the vocals to continue after the intro, I thought it was just gonna be one of those voice samples techno artists like to start songs with. This is really fun to listen to. Also, I love the name. Why are we shouting about fish prices? I don't know, but I approve. 5/5

11. Niki & the Dove - DJ, Ease My Mind: I really love Scandinavian electronic acts with female vocalists. Pinechild may have gathered this from me bookending my mix with Susanne Sundfør. Anyways, big thumbs up for this song. 5/5

12. Tally Hall - Turn the Lights Off: A very fun song. I like the chiptunes-style parts, and the vocals are catchy. I like the transition back and forth between the quieter verses and the party of the chorus. Also got me to check out more Tally Hall and they’re great. 5/5

13. Low - Just Make It Stop: Another song that took a few listens to really grow on me. Quiet, a little slow, a little repetitive, but not at all boring. 4/5

14. Morcheeba - Enjoy the Ride: Pretty good. Similarly quiet and a little slow, still not boring. Didn’t quite catch me as much as the previous song, though. 3/5

15. Lily Allen - The Fear: Fun, funny. Listening to just the verses without the chorus makes Lily Allen sound like a terrible person. 4/5

16. Sex Piano - Dance Floor - "Sex Piano" is a great name for a band. I could tell from the recording quality that this was a local band, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good song. It feels like a band that would be great to see in a small venue with lots of band-crowd interaction. 3.5/5

17. Rogue Traders - Voodoo Child: It’s okay. Makes me think of Freezepop. 3/5

18. !!! - Myth Takes: This band is impossible to google. Another one that grew on me as I kept listening. 4/5

19. Bond - Bond on Bond: A pretty cool mashup of various Bond theme songs. Nice. 4/5

20. The Protomen - The Hounds: I got this on a mix in a previous exchange. That's cool though, it's a great song, and it’s interesting to think of how music moves from person to person as they participate in multiple mixes. Funny how The Protomen wrote a bunch of songs about Megaman and made them actually really awesome and not lame.5/5

Synopsis - I liked this mix well enough on first listen, but there were a lot of songs that took repeated listenings to grow on me. The mix as a whole rose from pretty good to really good the more I listened to it. It’s my favorite of the two mixes overall. That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of good things to say about Disk 2: Hunted. I'll get that review up tomorrow.

runchild
May 26, 2010

And by "tomorrow," I apparently meant "in a few days."

Disk 2: Hunted by Pinechild

1. Aaron Copeland - Fanfare for the Common Man: My girlfriend's wind symphony played this at a concert this past summer, and it was easily my favorite piece they played that evening. 4/5

2. Pentatonix - Run To You: This is some REALLY good a cappella. 5/5

3. Charlie Parr - Badger: I can see the story told in this song with perfect clarity. Though I think he meant it more as a picture of his father, it also brings to my mind an experience I had of confronting death when you’re still relatively young. Love the guitar. 5/5

4. Cat Stevens - Peace Train: A little silly, a little naive, but I can appreciate the sentiment. Fun to listen to. 4/5

5. Pudding Run - Red River Hog: Thematically 180 degrees from the previous song. Really good. Angry ?bluegrass-metal? about how everything is hosed. 5/5

6. Head For The Hills - Scrap Meta: It’s pretty good. I liked Never Does a lot better. 3/5

7. Crooked Still - Ain't No Grave: Good train-like vibe to the strings. Gives it a feeling of movement. I also like slightly modernized takes on old traditional songs like this. 4.5/5

8. Two Siberians - Before Departure: Also has a nice train-like vibe to it. And wow, some of that guitar is really impressive. String duos being really impressive is something I’m fond of. Maybe you should check out Rodrigo y Gabriela. 4.5/5

9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Run Through the Jungle: Still kind of sounds like a train to me, though a more languid one just chugging along. That's neat, but otherwise it's fine but not terribly interesting. 3/5

10. the 4onthefloor - On Tuesdays: Remarkably similar in tone to Stand There ’Til You’re Sober on the other album, but I like this one so much better. 4/5

11. Bitter Ruin - Trust: I’ve gotten this in a mix before, but again, that’s fine. Great song. Love the dueling vocals. Somewhat similar style to The Hush Sound (though I don’t think they have any songs that come off this angry.) 5/5

12. Chastity Brown - Leroy: It’s beautiful, but I have to be in the right mood for it or else I find it pretty boring. 3/5

13. Charlie Parr - Jesus is a Hobo: I was excited for more Charlie Parr, but I only found this song okay. I liked Badger so much better. 3/5

14. Head For The Hills - Never Does: I really like this song. 5/5

15. Atmosphere - Always Coming Back Home To You: We’re taking a turn to hip hop. I noticed all the artists in this hip hop section are all from Minneapolis (as is a lot of stuff from these mixes). This one’s good. 4/5

16. Dessa - The Lamb: Dark and intense. I like it a lot. 5/5

17. Doomtree - Kid Gloves: My least favorite of this section, I think I’m just not in love with the trumpet. Still good. 3/5

18. Literati - Parade: My favorite of this section. 5/5

19. Apocalyptica - Path: A primarily cello-based metal band is a really neat idea. I like this song. 4/5

20. Butthole Surfers - Pepper: Oh, this song. Interesting to hear it in better quality than radio. Still don’t really like it though. So much of it, both the lyrics and music, is just kind of…ugly? I find it unpleasant to listen to. 1/5

21. Sex Piano - Janey I Been Lost: Good ol' Sex Piano again. I liked Dance Floor on the other album better. Still, it's cute, and a good song to end on. 3/5

Synopsis: - It's cliche for people to say "oh, I like everything except country and rap!" Those people aren't listening to the right bluegrass/folk/americana and hip hop. This mix had a lot of great examples. Also, I realize I didn’t include a lot of detail about some of these songs. Maybe I was running out of steam, but I couldn’t come up with much to say. Obviously I really liked a lot of it though! These were some of the best mixes I’ve gotten in these exchanges.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

3. Eläkeläiset - Sukellan Humppaan
Okay, I guess this is polka! Or rather, the Finnish equivalent, "humppa". The lead singer has the cadence of a Japanese lounge singer - the track feels a little lacking in energy. Also the bridge section is just weird sci-fi sound effects? Despite that, it's definitely grown on me. 8/10
Don't know if you found out about their gimmick so I gotta spoil the joke here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxPUkEHemHc :v:

They put on one hell of a live show as well. There's certainly enough energy to go around in those!

quote:

11. The Gun Club - Ghost On The Highway
Oh hey, rockabilly-punk! Punkabilly? It's pretty neato, whatever it is. Feels pretty short, even though it's a full three-minute song. 8/10
I think it goes more into a punk blues direction - obviously there's tons of overlap.

quote:

13. Kumikameli - Muinaismuisto
More Finnish stuff! This one's late-90s rock, but the verses sound more of a grunge throwback. I wish I spoke any Finnish, because with this kind of song the lyrics tend to make or break for me. Taken just on sound, it's inoffensive, but nothing special. 5/10
Well, this is what Google Translate makes of them. Apparently Finnish is a tough one for mechanical translation. (Any Fingerpori reader could tell you that I guess.)

I have a CD of theirs where they put liner notes to every song. It paints an interesting picture of them. Some choice bits (with genres even):

quote:

Tarmo - Ballad of a man with a hat made of porcupine with the spikes turned inwards. (Action)
Satu - Story of a king who makes queen a widow by coughing to death while burning heretics in the backyard. (Healthy Cooking)
Horjuva Holtiton Matkustaja - Happy funeral waltz of a man who was a shithead anf finally got what he deserved. (Drama-Comedy)
Fun fact: Eläkeläiset are a side project of Kumikameli.

quote:

16. Nomeansno - Our Town
I recently had Nomeansno recommended to me! Another band hella influenced by Nick Cave here, an eight-minute portrait of a dark urban wasteland. It's good, but I zoned out a fair bit - it doesn't change up too interestingly to justify the full eight minutes. 7/10
Yeah, it's not one of their more energetic tracks. Try this or this one, they're a bit more typical.

And since you seem to have noticed a bit of a Nick Cave theme: I had a few different mix ideas that all kinda ended up in this one, and one was "Six degrees of Nick Cave" - only bands that Nick Cave or any of the Bad Seeds were somehow involved in. So you'd get the Bad Seeds, Grinderman, Birthday Party, Einstürzende Neubauten, Dirty Three, PJ Harvey, all the way to Kylie Minogue. Maybe another time!

Time for another review - here's the first of Mowgli's Haircut's two untitled CDs. It's super short!

* FIDLAR - Wake Bake Skate
Energetic raw punk rock, great stuff, great kickoff to the mix!

Titus Andronicus - Lookalike
At under 50 seconds I bet it's more punk! And it is, and it's also great!

** Jay Reatard - It's So Easy
I bought the album this is from immediately and this review would have been up on Wednesday if I'd been able to stop listening to it long enough to go back to the mix. poo poo this guy had an ear for catchy melodies.

* Diarrhea Planet - My Dubs
First song that reduces the tempo a bit... halfway through, and it's only 1.26. And it still manages to have a guitar solo.

Wavves - Hippes Is Punks
Okay, we're reducing the tempo for real now. These guys give me a bit of a 90s vibe, kinda Alice Donut-like. Not bad at all!

Drenge - We Can Do What We Want
More energetic raw rock. 3 minutes suddenly seems like a really long time for a song after the intro barrage of ultrashort punk songs. Still pretty good.

Traams - Low
And so is this. I feel like by now we've covered the standout tracks, but don't get me wrong, these are all still great.

together PANGEA - Badillac
Spoke too soon, this one's really good, great bassline. Is that a harmonica? That's the last thing I expected...

Titus Andronicus - Dimed Out
Hey, these guys again! Think I like this one better than the 50 second one.

FIDLAR - Stupid Decisions
... don't much like that one, but I'll leave it at that, considering the backstory.

* Carolina Chocolate Drops - Mahalla
Okay, changing gears entirely, here's some old-timey string music. I really enjoy this, very upbeat.

* Damon Albarn - Mr Tembo
I only ever had very superficial contact with Albarn's various projects, apart from the songs everyone's heard. An African-inspired pop tune was definitely not what I expected. It's extremely catchy though!

Villagers - Courage
I'm detecting the faintest trace of Leonoard Cohen in this quiet acoustic tune. Not bad at all.

Ty Segall - Green Belly
Hmm. There is a definite late 60s vibe going on here and that's extremely my thing, but somehow this track doesn't quite do it. Not ready to call it a standout track quite yet, but I'll keep an eye on this guy.

Will Butler - Witness
A similar kind of retro sensibility here with the piano chords. Decent.

Matt Berry - Take My Hand
I knew Matt Berry was a musician as well, I didn't know it was gonna be so early 70s. And I swear that intro is lifted straight from something very familiar indeed, but I can't put my finger on it. Not that I mind, this is pretty good.

Overall - excellent mix! I liked the intro punk songs most, but it was all very good (well, almost), from the punk stuff over the slower alternative ones all the way to the 60s revival tracks. And I got a fantastic album out of it as well. Thanks very much!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Matt Berry - Take My Hand
I knew Matt Berry was a musician as well, I didn't know it was gonna be so early 70s. And I swear that intro is lifted straight from something very familiar indeed, but I can't put my finger on it. Not that I mind, this is pretty good.

Overall - excellent mix! I liked the intro punk songs most, but it was all very good (well, almost), from the punk stuff over the slower alternative ones all the way to the 60s revival tracks. And I got a fantastic album out of it as well. Thanks very much!

Glad you enjoyed it, if you're familiar with Matt Berry then you've maybe seen the show Toast of London, which has this song as it's theme, which is probably where you recognise it! I feel bad for disliking your CD so much now but thems the breaks with mix swaps. I will be putting up a write-up of your 2nd CD soon, which I did enjoy more than the 1st.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah that's fine, I was thinking "well this is a love-it-or-hate-it thing if ever there was" even as I was putting it together. :v:

Never heard of the show until today. But it's written by Arthur Mathews, huh? Might check it out. I know Berry from Darkplace and Mighty Boosh, and IT Crowd, obviously.

I have, however, seen the video! Ages ago, but yeah, going through the mix the first time I thought "isn't that the one with the sweet robot video"? Now all I have to figure out is if that's where I know the song from or if I wasn't maybe thinking "there's something very specifically familiar about those chords" back when I saw it the first time, too!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Finally getting off my lazy rear end and doing brief reviews of BrendianaJones' mix. It's mostly rock music, which is a pretty hit-or-miss genre for me. It just hits the "everything sounds the same to me" spot unless I really like it or really hate it. *s mark my favorites.

1. Raury - Devil's Whisper*: Like the verses, dig the instrumentals, wish someone else was singing the chorus. Overall I like it. Probably the most distinctive song on the mix.

2. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Baudelaire: Solid song. Nothing I'd go out of my way to listen to, but not something I'd skip if it came up on shuffle.

3. Lincoln Durham - Beautifully Sewn, Violently Torn: Not actively bad, but I'm not really into it either. I like the minimalism of the less-instrumentated parts a lot better than the (relatively) guitar-heavy choruses.

4. Dead Vampires - City of Vampires*: Rated :rock:/10.

5. The Hold Steady - Cattle And The Creeping Things: Meh. I get the gimmick it's going for, but it doesn't really work for me.

6. Shackled Mule - Ain't Got A Prayer: This song really needs something. More distinctive guitar? Louder vocals? Whatever it needs, it's just not grabbing me at all.

7. fun. - Barlights*: The one song I already had! fun.'s pretty good, and I think this is one of their better songs off Aim & Ignite.

8. Th' Legendary Shack Shakers - Where's The Devil When You Need Him: :geno:

9. TV On The Radio - DLZ: See #2.

10. The Devil Makes Three - Stranger: This is just boring enough that I'm leaning towards dislike instead of simple apathy. At least it's a feeling? I'm trying really hard not to make all these just say "meh", but it's hard when there's nothing to say about the song.

11. Captain Beefheart - Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do: Kinda catchy. A bit of a relief after the past few songs.

12. Firewater - Woke Up Down: See #2. Again.

13. Punch Brothers - Movement And Location*: Pretty good. The frantic instrumentals and slow vocals work pretty well. I really dig the instrumentals themselves, and I'll definitely have to check out more Punch Brothers if it's all like this.

14. O' Death - Bugs: Solid song. I like it.

15. The Secret Sisters - Rattle My Bones*: An actually good country song. Stop the presses! Really though, I like this. It hits all the right notes for me.

16. Jeffrey Foucault - I Left This Town: Pretty good.

17. The New Pornographers - The Laws Have Changed*: :dance: Definitely more pop-rock than the rest of the mix. It's pretty great!

18. House of Heroes - Code Name: Raven*: :rock:, bordering on cheesy. That's a good thing; I actually like cheesy.

19. The Hollywood Vampires - Raise The Dead*: Probably my favorite song on here. Full of energy, completely owning the fact that it's over-the-top rock music. Everything I like to hear!

20. Mystery song*: Aaaand this wasn't on the tracklist. Googling the lyrics suggests this is Before the Devil Knows We're Dead by the Turnpike Troubadours. Pretty good! It's really refreshing to hear country that's not bro-country.

21. Murder By Death - I'm Comin' Home: Pretty good. Overshadowed by having 4 songs in a row I really liked before it, but good.

22: Josh Ritter - Mind's Eye: And wrapping it up with a song so generic I can't comment on it. Success?

I honestly wasn't expecting as many favorites as I had. The middle part of the mix drug on a bit, but the end was great. Overall, I'm a fan.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbMhNiAzcQ

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I got my mixes from Tendai on Thursday. They actually had art on the sleeves!

(pictures will come once my phone decides to upload images)

I decided to take a listen to Things I Want To Say To You first:

1*) Chicane - Wake Up
A punchy, poppy opener. Very upbeat, and a great opener. 4/4

2) Jeff Buckley - Everybody Here Wants You
This song screams 90s. It's got a lot of a "Boyz II Men" influence. Nice, but feels kind of dated to me. 3/4

3) Bayside - Don't Call Me Peanut
The guitar work is okay, but the vocals have that annoying "emo band" sound. It's grating, and the lyrics don't really do anything for me either. 1/4

4) G. Love & Special Sauce - Don't Drop It!
Laid back hip-hop. It reminds me a bit of the Fun Lovin' Criminals. Nice groove to it. 3/4

5) Dilated Peoples - You Can't Hide, You Can't Run
Good lyrics, great flow, some good turntablism. Solid track. 3/4

6) The Alan Parsons Project - Don't Let It Show
I've been a fan of APP longer than any other band. Don't Let It Show isn't my favourite of their songs, but it's still a solid track. 3/4

7) Cage - Look At What You Did.
Pretty good. I like the aggressiveness and harshness of the backing track, and the flow is pretty good. The lyrics are super goofy in that black metal way, and I appreciate it like a good B-movie. 3/4

8*) Morphine - Do Not Go Quietly Into Your Grave
Very bluesy. The vocalist kind of caught me off-guard: I was expecting something more gravelly, but it grew on me quickly. The sax is fantastic. The whole thing comes together really nicely. 4/4

9*) Bouncing Souls - You're So Rad
This song is great. It's a super goofy upbeat song straight out of the 90s. It feels a lot like something The Presidents of the United States of America would put out, just a bit more overdriven. 4/4

10) Brett Dennen - Who Do You Think You Are?
It's background music. Inoffensive, but forgettable. There's not much here that sticks in my mind after listening. 2/4

11) Alborosie - You Make Me Feel Good
It's reggae. It feels a lot like the last track, and also doesn't leave an impression much past its running time. 2/4

12*) Biffy Clyro - I Hope You're Done
This one was a loving ride. The way it started up made me anticipate a much harder song once the rest of the band came in. When they did, it was more alt-rocky than I was expecting. Then, after allowing me to appreciate the guitar and drums, that's when the hard stuff I was initially anticipating came in and it caught me totally off-guard and I loving loved it. 4/4

13*) Ray Lamontagne - You Can Bring Me Flowers
Very much like the Morphine track, but a bit more traditional. The vocal style here was the one I was expecting from the Morphine track. I didn't like it quite as much as the Morphine track, but it's still really good. 4/4

14) Oren Lavie - Don't Let Your Hair Grow Too Long
This is exactly the type of music I picture when I hear the phrase "adult contemporary". It doesn't do anything for me. 2/4

15) Pilot Speed - I Won't Blame You
You know how sometimes you can just tell where a band is from? Yeah, I pegged these guys as Canadians right off the bat. Maybe I've heard them on the radio, who knows? It sounds like a lost song from Moxy Fruvous's Thornhill recordings. 3/4

16*) Satanic Surfers - gently caress Off, You Filthy Bastard
Great punk rock. Fantastic bass line. 4/4

17) The Mountain Goats - Has Thou Considered the Tetrapod?
This is a band I've heard a lot of about, but none of the stuff I've heard has ever really done anything for me. This isn't an exception. 2/4

18) Baby Bash - Don't Disrespect My Mind
Not feeling this one. The flow's alright, but it doesn't really have anything that stands out. 2/4

19) Rise Against - Rumours of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
This is a band I should be more into than I am. I've liked what I've heard, but it just kinda fell through the cracks. Good track. 3/4

20*) Awolnation - Jump On My Shoulders
This song is aggressively upbeat. I'd almost call it saccharine; it's even got "la la la" vocals over the bridge. It's fantastically catchy. I like it. 4/4

Langhorne Slime - I Love You, But Goodbye
Another song that doesn't leave much of an impression. 2/4

A pretty good mix. There's a lot of solid tracks on here, and a fair few artists to look up. Next up: We Don't Take Kindly To Your Type 'Round Here (in a few days)

Inco fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 20, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

do either of my partners still want my mix CD? i forgot about this thread again

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sure

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ok cool gonna buy the cds and cases on friday, hopefully i can get them out by monday

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I got my CDs from off_kilter! Or at least I guess it's from him from the Canadian post stamps.

Bonus points(?) for no CD cases. I'll do a review in a week's time, now is not the time for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfF KiLTeR
Apr 16, 2007

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Buglord

Rexroom posted:

I got my CDs from off_kilter! Or at least I guess it's from him from the Canadian post stamps.

Bonus points(?) for no CD cases. I'll do a review in a week's time, now is not the time for it.

I must apologize to ALL my partners because my poo poo got all messed up and my CD burner died... after doing a run of half CD's! I apologize for the half-assedry, I normally take more time, but this past winter was a bit of a rough spot. On the plus side, I hope you enjoy the mixes! I have mine all cued up to start reviews when I get home from abroad.

• Locked thread