Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just got the parts for a major system upgrade.

Current hardware:
Core 2 Q6600 CPU
Intel P45 chipset
8 GB RAM
BIOS-based
AHCI controller

New hardware:
Core i5-4460 CPU
Intel H97 chipset
8 GB RAM
UEFI-based
AHCI controller

I'll be re-using my GeForce GTX 660 Ti card and SSD + harddrives.
I want to upgrade to Windows 10 later, but only after getting an extra SSD, current one is near capacity.

Question is: What should I do to prepare my existing Windows 7 installation to be moved to the new hardware?
How safe is it?

I assume I'll have to boot via BIOS emulation, until I can do a clean install of Windows 10.

Should I uninstall any drivers beforehand? Preload any drivers into the catalog? Do any registry hacks?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
I don't know if this was just a complete coincidence, but one time I moved a hard drive from an old Celeron PC with Windows XP installed, into a new one that had a Pentium D (dual core) 3.4 ghz or whatever. Upon logging in, it detected and proceeded to install, basically almost everything you see in Device Manager: from keyboard and mouse, to graphics adapter, LAN adapter, to even the USB host controllers, among other odd things that you wouldn't typically see being installed, during a plug and play installation. It then proceeded to lock up the computer, and that was the last time it would POST. Motherboard LED would light up, cpu fan would spin, but nothing else; no hard drive noise, nothing on screen, etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PPills posted:

I don't know if this was just a complete coincidence, but one time I moved a hard drive from an old Celeron PC with Windows XP installed, into a new one that had a Pentium D (dual core) 3.4 ghz or whatever. Upon logging in, it detected and proceeded to install, basically almost everything you see in Device Manager: from keyboard and mouse, to graphics adapter, LAN adapter, to even the USB host controllers, among other odd things that you wouldn't typically see being installed, during a plug and play installation. It then proceeded to lock up the computer, and that was the last time it would POST. Motherboard LED would light up, cpu fan would spin, but nothing else; no hard drive noise, nothing on screen, etc.

As a counter, I think I did manage to move an XP install, once upon a time, but that's something like 10 years ago.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's not advisable to try moving an OS HD onto a different motherboard (unless it's the exact same kind).

In recent years when I've even tried as an experiment it hasn't worked and will just bring up BSODs and reboots as mentioned above.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

As yet another perspective: I've done this with XP, going from some Athlon to a Phenom II and it worked just fine. Some software's license server component threw a fit (ACD/ChemSketch) but worked fine upon re-entering my key.

I've also done it on Windows 7 and didn't have many issues, though I ultimately did re-install that one because of hardware issues corrupting system files.

Also, isn't this literally what sysprep is for?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geemer posted:

Also, isn't this literally what sysprep is for?

It seems to be, and it's what everything else I've (since) found also recommends, so going to do that.

But not until I have made a dry run on a backup image and confirmed it works!
(I spent several hours today trying to set up boot from a VHD image, so far without success. :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well that was certainly a surprise.

I need to do nothing to make it boot.

I managed to make it boot off a VHD image, and while it took ages (since I put it on a spinny disk) it went without a hitch.

However there are some "minor" driver issues, since all USB ports on the new mobo are USB 3 and Windows 7 doesn't have any drivers for that. So no mouse. And no driver for the Ethernet controller either.
But I can dump those onto the disk before moving it, so not a blocker by any means.

• Locked thread