Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My savings account has around $50k that I've accumulated from a recent inheritance above what my household would need to exist for around 6 months without any income. Both my wife and I have maxed our Roth IRAs for the year. I am at 10% pre-tax 401k contribution. My stock portfolio is in good shape.

That $50k is only earning .75% APY in my savings account. Bankrate shows national savings account rates are just around 1%. Should I be hanging onto the savings as it is, should I put it into a 6-month CD and re-evaluating the need after 6 months passes, or should I be looking at an investment that has low risk to the principal? I realize all of those are very low ROI options, but I figure this could be an emergency fund - a car got totaled, the roof caved in, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
For starters I think you should try to max your 401k this year, unless you make $180k+ and that 10% will do it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

For starters I think you should try to max your 401k this year, unless you make $180k+ and that 10% will do it.

It's not a good idea to keep the money accessible in case the need arises?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MJP posted:

It sounds like you already have a healthy emergency fund, so not particularly. If the poo poo really, really hits the fan, you can still liquidate it from your 401k.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

MJP posted:

You said that not counting this money, you have enough to survive for six months without income. I think your emergency fund is just fine (especially because you both have jobs, since your wife was able to contribute to an IRA). What would it take to make it one year? At some point, you have enough emergency fund and you can start looking longterm. If you're not maxing your 401k, you probably need more retirement savings...I'm guessing you've been focusing more on building a great cash reserve instead of that for the past few years. Mission accomplished.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I agree with nail rat. Use the $50k to supplement the lower net income due to maxing out the 401k if you need to. Lower your taxes and be better prepared for retirement.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

You said that not counting this money, you have enough to survive for six months without income. I think your emergency fund is just fine (especially because you both have jobs, since your wife was able to contribute to an IRA). What would it take to make it one year? At some point, you have enough emergency fund and you can start looking longterm. If you're not maxing your 401k, you probably need more retirement savings...I'm guessing you've been focusing more on building a great cash reserve instead of that for the past few years. Mission accomplished.

Actually, we're one income only - my wife is not yet medically able to work, and she's studying up to transition into jobs that would be able to let her work remotely if her medical situation prohibits her from a train or very short drive commute. We maxed the IRAs with another cash windfall - her father is an exec that gets decent bonuses, which he shares with the wife and her brother and sister.

My concern with fully maxing the 401k would be reducing income, and I guess I'm still in a what-if state given her situation even though I could theoretically backfill the lowered income from savings if necessary, even while contributing to the brokerage account post-tax and maxed 401k pre-tax.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Is this gift to your wife from her dad able to be defined as income? If not, she can't contribute to an IRA.

Six months should be plenty. It sounds like your wife has a well-off family that will help her, you have six months saved up, you'd have unemployment benefits for six months if you lost your job.

Also what are you doing contributing to a brokerage account before you've maxed your 401k :psyduck:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Is this gift to your wife from her dad able to be defined as income? If not, she can't contribute to an IRA.

Six months should be plenty. It sounds like your wife has a well-off family that will help her, you have six months saved up, you'd have unemployment benefits for six months if you lost your job.

Also what are you doing contributing to a brokerage account before you've maxed your 401k :psyduck:

Being paranoid about the availability of post-tax to contribute to said brokerage, combined with a mentality that a savings account only gets touched for rainy-day expenses. I've only taken out around $1100 from it over the last two years, but my only contributions back to savings have been these big bonus windfalls as such.

You're probably right in that I need to re-evaluate my 401k set-asides, look at restarting contribution to savings, and seeing if I can put more into the brokerage. I haven't really re-evaluated these since a couple of jobs ago, never hurts to consider it.

Edit: I recalculated my expenses, and I have a few hundred left over each month if I up my 401k to 11% (it was only at 6%, apparently, but I only started here three months ago) and add on $100/mo going into the savings account just to add to it, for good measure. If nothing else it's good to keep socking away to replenish what I've taken out.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 1, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The most important question is why are you contributing post tax income to brokerage rather than pretax income to 401k?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The most important question is why are you contributing post tax income to brokerage rather than pretax income to 401k?

That's a fair question.

My 401k and IRAs are retirement-only funds. I don't expect to touch them until I retire. The brokerage account I may need to liquidate, at any given time.

If I started selling brokerage funds, I'd be subject to capital gains tax, unless immediately contributing them to my 401k negates the capital gains tax. Unless I can just transfer them directly to my 401k.

But you raise a really salient point. When I started my brokerage account it was with a financial advisor (non-fee based) that did good things for my grandparents, getting them out of some kind of annuity that they bought while under dementia or some other situation where they got preyed upon. I was contributing what I could to my 401k - maxing the match and a little more - and contributing to the brokerage account. Now that I think about it, it was probably because he was non-fee based, instead making his cut out of the share of operating expenses based on my investments, that he advised me to go brokerage rather than just go 401k.

But it is logical that I have some assets that I could liquidate, though - for a future vacation, or if I need to buy a car, etc. Granted, a $62k savings account kinda flies in the face of that. I'm somewhat risk-averse and have invested accordingly, basically recently selling some purchases of ETFs and mutual funds that I thought would bracket different sectors of the economy and just putting it into VFORX and letting that do the diversification for me. I am not an active investor and am happier not being one. I just want to be able to retire one of these days, even if Social Security is completely useless or gone thanks to politics.

But yeah... why DO I have a majority of my brokerage account in VFORX, which is what I'd want to retire on, and why am I buying it post-tax if pre-tax could do the same?

I'm going to sleep on it but I want to give that idea real consideration. Thank you for asking that question.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

In extremely dire circumstances you could always take out a 401k loan. It's not advised, but it's better than leaving the opportunity for bigger retirement savings on the table in the first place when you already have a large savings account and an active brokerage account. You have assets you can liquidate now, plenty of them. You should focus on retirement in tax-advantaged vehicles, or you won't be able to retire. Also, don't listen to your grandpa or someone who doesn't actually understand how Social Security works; it's not going anywhere, though if it runs through the surplus payments will be reduced by about 30%. Still something.

Also, you're better off with index funds and not individual stocks in that taxable account, unless you're already to the point that it's literally play gambling money (you're not, since you're not maxing your 401k).

It sounds like the financial adviser you listened to wasn't exactly that great a guy either.

I think you'd do well to read some books on investing/retiring, but I'd like to just stump William Bernstein's If You Can, a short pamphlet that will take you an hour or two. And it's free. https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 1, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

In extremely dire circumstances you could always take out a 401k loan. It's not advised, but it's better than leaving the opportunity for bigger retirement savings on the table in the first place when you already have a large savings account and an active brokerage account. You have assets you can liquidate now, plenty of them. You should focus on retirement.

Also, you're better off with index funds and not individual stocks in that taxable account, unless you're already to the point that it's literally play gambling money (you're not, since you're not maxing your 401k).

It sounds like the financial adviser you listened to wasn't exactly that great a guy either.

Whatever he did got the annuity fixed up. It was 2006 and I was more inclined to hear my parents out on financial matters. It's 2015 and I'm a different person in a different financial position.

I'm also still trying to break out of "gently caress gently caress gently caress I'm the single income earner and caretaker, I must stoically shoulder burdens like a manly man" mindsets. They don't really help anyone.

I guess it's my accountant who answers how I'd go about getting some kind of tax benefit by moving stocks from brokerage to 401k?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

MJP posted:

I guess it's my accountant who answers how I'd go about getting some kind of tax benefit by moving stocks from brokerage to 401k?

I posted this above, but reposting:

I think you'd do well to read some books on investing/retiring, but I'd like to just stump William Bernstein's If You Can, a short pamphlet that will take you an hour or two. And it's free. https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

If you don't understand the tax benefit of 401ks, you need to start at the beginning, and don't listen to a financial adviser. Their goal is to use you to make money. Read some simple books on the topics, or look at the bogleheads wiki, or the Long Term Investment thread at the top of this forum. The OP should have some good info for you, and you can ask questions there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

I posted this above, but reposting:

If you don't understand the tax benefit of 401ks, you need to start at the beginning, and don't listen to a financial adviser. Their goal is to use you to make money. Read some simple books on the topics, or look at the bogleheads wiki, or the Long Term Investment thread at the top of this forum. The OP should have some good info for you, and you can ask questions there.

No no, I get the tax benefits of a 401k - it's just more of a technical question, whether or not I can take some kind of tax deduction by transferring post-tax purchased mutual funds into a 401k.

I'm very much sleeping on whether or not I could just take the $250 per month I put into the brokerage and add that to my just-increased-today 401k pre-tax deduction.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

You can contribute to a non-working spouse's IRA, as long as you file a joint income tax return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can contribute to a non-working spouse's IRA, as long as you file a joint income tax return.

What if she's working? I'm in a similar position to the OP except I have maxed 401k and Roth IRA contributions this year.

Also do I need to throw together a TOD account? (I think that's what they're called.) I have about 40k beyond our emergency fund that I think may turn into a house down payment that's just sitting in a 1% savings account.

• Locked thread