Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
My rule is you roll fortune with the main roll, however I've let it be spent afterwards if a character can awesomely describe how he could use it to make the game incredibly entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm coming off Spellbound Kingdoms so I like to have Fortune spends allowed after seeing the roll. It does slow things down a bit, but it's worth it for the "goddammit I need to pass this roll" *furiously marks off another Fortune* when people roll a Swerve of like -4

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Doodmons posted:

I'm coming off Spellbound Kingdoms so I like to have Fortune spends allowed after seeing the roll. It does slow things down a bit, but it's worth it for the "goddammit I need to pass this roll" *furiously marks off another Fortune* when people roll a Swerve of like -4

Yeah, this is how my GM ran it for the long campaign, and I think the speed wasn't significantly different than without it. If you have people who like to talk about probabilities and think too much about each roll, it might change things, but generally the only real change is that the number of fortune points used on failures that weren't way-awful ones becomes 0.

Hell, that GM let us dodge after we saw the enemy result and he still nearly killed multiple PCs, did kill one PC and had an uber-boss fight that we barely won through summoning spirits of our past selves to help kill said uber-boss. Sure, our combats took a while, but most of that was fun taking a while, in the descriptive sense. I don't think letting the player make informed decisions made it that much longer.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Scene planning question: It looks like my next scene is going to revolve around the party all being in one car, but all armed and attacking the incoming enemy vehicles. Since that's like four PCs attacking enemy vehicles, but still only one friendly vehicle to field all the Chase Points, what level of enemy opposition should make for a good scene? How many chasing cars / mook cars should I send after them?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

Scene planning question: It looks like my next scene is going to revolve around the party all being in one car, but all armed and attacking the incoming enemy vehicles. Since that's like four PCs attacking enemy vehicles, but still only one friendly vehicle to field all the Chase Points, what level of enemy opposition should make for a good scene? How many chasing cars / mook cars should I send after them?

Remember that passengers can't actually target the car directly to do Chase Points unless they get a Way-Good Success. They can just shoot at the people in the car. That's probably gonna mean that they all blow the driver to smithereens and the bads will have to play hot potato with the steering wheel, taking the 15 Chase Points a time for not having a driver. In terms of how many cars, when I did a chase scene with 3 PCs in one car, the opposition was 2 cars with 3 mooks in, a car with 3 mooks and a featured foe and a car with 2 featured foes. It went pretty well, balance-wise. The mook cars are probably not going to do a lot because if you kill the driver (lol, if) that car's probably gonna crash and explode with all the mooks inside, so I upped the number of featured foes a bit.

Edit: All three PCs ended up in or on enemy vehicles at some point during the chase, which spread the enemy attacks out. Eventually they just abandoned their car for full time boarding action, I wasn't really keeping track of their chase points so I don't know if they did it because they were close to crashing or because it was cool.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 29, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For anyone who doesn't legally own the core book PDF and would like to rectify that, and for anyone who is considering getting the game:

Evil Mastermind posted:

:siren: Feng Shui 2 is currently on sale for $10 until the 21st.

Please buy Feng Shui 2, it's really good!

e; looks like the GM screen and Blowing Up the Movies are discounted, too.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 14, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

So, I'm about to run a mini-series for some online friends who have experience with the system. How much should I prep for the story? I don't know any hooks and I plan on trying to keep the story focused around the hooks rather than making something up too much ahead of time. Is this a good idea or not?

I've played and run the game before, so the system knowledge should be good enough, but is there any sections of the book I should re-read when running something more than a one-shot?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You need to plan fights and setpieces, but not ~the plot~. Work out a general outline of where and when you want to send the PCs then write a bunch of fight scenes and connecting scenes with few enough details that you can just drop them in wherever and whenever. Try to get your players to send you some hook ideas ahead of time so you have a rough idea of what kind of big bad you should have and can maybe tweak your planned fights slightly in response, but otherwise don't plan everything down to the last round.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

More in-depth now, since I'm not work-posting:

1) For the fight scenes, should I give all of the Featured Foes names and abilities beforehand for that combat, or should I just keep a long list of NPCs to toss in as needed?

2) How much is too much for the connective tissue? Compared to the Free RPG Day one-shot or the adventure in the back of the book? Is it better to have too much and just toss it out on the spot?

3) The book suggests 3 fights per session, but given potential time concerns, would it be better to aim for 1-2? Can people regularly get 3 in a session?

4) It's a Roll20 game, I think I should probably have pictures for at least the Featured Foes/Bosses, is there a better place than Google Image Search for these sort of things?

Overall, I'm not too worried about it, because I can usually learn from the first session easily enough to go on from there, but I just want to bounce what I'm thinking somewhere, and my usual place to do it is with the people I'm running for.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
1) whatever works for you and doesn't slow you down too much. It's fine if you take 10 seconds to pluck names from a list, not so much if it takes you 5 minutes to come up with names at the start of every fight.

2) FS2 is about the fights, so don't plan for long connecting scenes, IMO. Just have short stuff that gives the players info on where the next fight scene is. Think of a movie, and stick to one connecting scene = one short, simple scene (go here and speak to X, climb to the roof so you can break in, that kind of stuff). It's roleplaying, so you never know how long your players are going to take to get through the scene.

3) depends on session length, obviously. It also depends on how big your fight scenes are and how verbose everyone is when it comes to fight descriptions. Three fights is doable in four hours if people know the system and move fast. It's better to plan more fights and use them the week after than not enough.

4) no, not really, but you could try looking through/asking the Modrons thread if you can dig it up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Names....
http://generators.christopherpound.com/fsnames.html

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Just as an FYI, since I asked and found a pretty good source: Hong Kong Cinemagic . Pictures aren't amazing, but the general listings are really good and the galleries are full of good stuff. Thanks for the name generator, though. That will be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That generator has been around since Atlas first edition I think. There's still a ton of old Feng Sui stuff online.

• Locked thread