Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Problem description: I recently purchased a new SSD and a buncha new memory- This http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9t-12gbrl (F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL) and I plugged them into my computer. Plugged in, ready to go and....nothing. The computer would give me a half second of power and then fade away to nothing. No beeps no boot no nothing. Why would the computer flip out like that over ram, and why won't my new ram work? The specs are literally the same!

Attempted fixes: So I swapped in my OLD memory (TFR3X6G1600C8) and it STILL wouldn't boot! So I thought it was the PSU. I replaced the PSU and it STILL WOULDN'T BOOT. I ended up resetting the CMOS and messing with every other setting on the PSU to get it going. I tested my old PSU and it actually works using the paperclip method. So I'm not sure whats going on. Right now the computer is running for me to type this, but its with the new PSU and the OLD memory. I don't know whats going on with the new memory or why it caused my computer to screw up. I"m terrified of shutting it off right now for fear that it won't turn back on again, it took us 2 hours to get it back.

Recent changes: I haven't installed the SSD yet since I"m working on backing stuff up to do a fresh Windows install on the SSD. The old Memory (3x2 6GB) is in, but I really want to install my newfound 16 gigs (2x4) memory to increase performance.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: Intel DX58GSO
Intel 940
6 GB Corsair ram
Nvidia GTX 750

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody? :(
Also can I use 3 sticks of 2 2 stick packages?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What is your old PSU and how old is it? What is your new PSU?

Have you tried using the new RAM with the new PSU?

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I suspect the motherboard may be the cause. Both RAM and the PSU plug into this, so my basic logic is pointing there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Psu was just outside 5 years old tail end of warranty. New one is a Corsair cx750. Not the best...but new and modular.

Mobo is working now with old ram in it with new psu.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is your BIOS the latest one? It looks like the last BIOS update for that board would've been in 2013.

Are the memory timings and voltage the same on the new RAM as the old? I got what I am pretty sure the same memory you did and had to manually adjust the timings because they are lower than what my mobo automatically set.

Have you tried booting with only one stick of the new memory in at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is your BIOS the latest one? It looks like the last BIOS update for that board would've been in 2013.

Are the memory timings and voltage the same on the new RAM as the old? I got what I am pretty sure the same memory you did and had to manually adjust the timings because they are lower than what my mobo automatically set.

Have you tried booting with only one stick of the new memory in at a time?

I was unable to install the latest BIOS, so I was going to do it via USB. However, once I reset the CMOS and put in just 3 sticks of ram with DEFAULT BIOS it actually worked. Its so weird. THe packages say timing is 9 9 9 24, but it defaulted to 7 7 7 24 and its working like a charm.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, but its working. Thanks for the replies guys.

• Locked thread