Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
My wife wants a tea cup pooch and I personally think they are ugly and prone to physical problems (just my thought). Any feelings either way from my goon brethren? I also notice they are thousands of dollars to get. Any stories I can share with her to dissuade her from this if it's a bad idea to own these dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They're either runt bred medical wastelands or they're just runt bred poorly tempered shitheads 99% of the time. Every rare now and again you end up with an alright one, but it's drat near unheard of.

If she wants to waste money that bad, donate it to a good rescue. If you tell us what breed she's wanting we can probably dig you up more stories specifically about that breed. I have all my tits crossed in the hopes it's a brachy breed, too, because :lol: it's like a perfect storm.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
dont do it frend

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
If she's really dead set on a tiny dog there are tons of them in shelters. Absolutely no need to buy one from a breeder. Chihuahua and similar mixes are more common in many shelters than pit bulls.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Just buy rats OP, they're actually meant to be that size.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
You might be approaching this from the wrong angle. Have you tried getting bigger teacups so that the dog that fits in them could be normal size?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Tony Homo posted:

My wife wants a tea cup pooch and I personally think they are ugly and prone to physical problems (just my thought). Any feelings either way from my goon brethren? I also notice they are thousands of dollars to get. Any stories I can share with her to dissuade her from this if it's a bad idea to own these dogs?

Go find a dog from a solid breeder. You'd be surprised how tiny some dogs are when bred to standard. Yorkies and Chis are hella tiny when bred to standard -- it's often the BYB and crappy breeders who breed for little more than cash who tend to breed larger dogs 'cause that's what they have on hand. No toy dog breeder worth their salt is going to be referring to any of their animals as "teacup".

Tiny dogs have their own slew of problems related to their size, of course. But going to a breeder who will stand behind their dogs and offer lifelong support is a good place to start.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

a life less posted:

Tiny dogs have their own slew of problems related to their size, of course.

I've tripped over, stepped on, and accidentally punted my grandfather's Chihuahua more times than I can count. At least my cats eventually learned that if they hear me coming in the dark, GTFO MY PATH whereas the Chihuahua... wasn't so smrt. :downs:

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

I've read that anesthesia is riskier with super tiny dogs. So you may want to get one already neutered. ...and good luck if they have any health issues that need anesthetic for. Tiny dogs also come with tiny bladders, so frequent potty breaks required.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Hahahahhaajhahahahaha

Your girlfriend is not going to listen to you. Get a new girlfriend.

Oh she's your wife. I owned a tiny dog and he wasn't that great unless I was old or disabled. I had to leave him behind when it snowed and I brought my other two dogs sledding. He eventually was returned for being a huge poo poo fucker.

Maybe Google some images for puppy mill and explain to her only millers and high volume breeders use the term teacup. Health testing dogs at the rate millers churn out dogs isn't achievable so you get piss poor health.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 16, 2015

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I will check the shelter. Maybe we can go with that. She says chihuahuas are the ugliest dogs on the earth so that's out.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tony Homo posted:

She says chihuahuas are the ugliest dogs on the earth so that's out.

She's a keeper. Chihuahuas are loving disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ferryll posted:

I've read that anesthesia is riskier with super tiny dogs. So you may want to get one already neutered. ...and good luck if they have any health issues that need anesthetic for.
I mean, smaller animals are more prone to hypothermia during surgery, but that's not exactly difficult to prevent/correct. We routinely anesthetize toy breeds, to say nothing of small mammals (ferrets, rats, etc).

• Locked thread