Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance – The one with Ike in it

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is the first part of a duology with the second part being Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
Both games feature the continent of Tellius which is why they’re also known as the “Tellius Series”

About the game
Well, it's a Fire Emblem Game.
I don’t think I have to explain Fire Emblem. The series is over 20 years old. By now everyone should know this massive series.
Instead, enjoy this picture of baby Ike

So why did I choose this game over any other FE game?
Simple: It was my first introduction to both the Fire Emblem series as well as the SRPG-genre all together. Plus it has Ike in it.
I like Ike.

Things this game introduced to the series
- The Base screen as well as the Battle Preparations screen
- Bonus EXP
- Forging weapons
- A new Race
- Racism
- Automatic unit promotions (Note: Yes, they existed in other FE games too, but here they're the main way of promoting units)

Spoiler Policy
No spoilers for this game (I think this is pretty much a no-brainer)
As far as Radiant Dawn is concerned, it would also be appreciated if there’s no spoilers for that game.
FE:RD shows what happened to Tellius after FE:PoR and there’s also a bunch of characters that make an (unexpected) appearance. Ruining those few surprises would be a shame.

Episodes
Opening Cinematic
Episode 1: First Encounter
Episode 2: Kidnapped
Episode 3: Yarr Harr Harr Me Matesy
Episode 4: Daein Invasion
Episode 5: So Many Crits!

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Sooooo not to be that guy but A) Fire Emblem games (and most SPRGs for that matter) are really not good VLP games because of their very nature. And on top of that, FE9 is particularly infamous because it's map animations are incredibly slow; B) Your video is in the wrong aspect ratio, and C) You don't seem to be aware of some of the really important formulas. Like, I'm not asking you to know how hit and avoid are calculated down to the raw stats, but you should probably know what Attack Speed is and how it works.

E: Is the footage interlaced? How are you even capturing it? Because it's definitely desynced just a tiny bit.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2015

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Artix posted:

Sooooo not to be that guy but A) Fire Emblem games (and most SPRGs for that matter) are really not good VLP games because of their very nature. And on top of that, FE9 is particularly infamous because it's map animations are incredibly slow; B) Your video is in the wrong aspect ratio, and C) You don't seem to be aware of some of the really important formulas. Like, I'm not asking you to know how hit and avoid are calculated down to the raw stats, but you should probably know what Attack Speed is and how it works.

E: Is the footage interlaced? How are you even capturing it? Because it's definitely desynced just a tiny bit.

A: Solely depends on personal preferences. I for one prefer VLPs of SRPGs over SSLPs, but to each their own.

B: (Nope 1920x1080 on 60 FPS. If it looked horrible then that's because Youtube was still processing the video.
They start off at a lower resolution but right now it looks just like it should.)
Edit: Just realised it's about aspect ratio not resolution.
No the game was recorded in 16:9 and not 4:3 because it's played on an emulator.

C: Yeah, I'm not that good with the formulas which is definitely a problem.
That's something I'll be most certainly working on.

E: It shouldn't be interlaced. I noticed a slight desync when counting the tiles.
The cause seems to be a mistake that happened during editing. Since there's only two instances where this is noticeable and all my attempts to fix it failed horribly I kept it that way.

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 13, 2015

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
This time both Mist and Rolf have been kidnapped by some bandits.
It seems like those guys are pissed that we killed their friend over at Caldea so now they want to get revenge on us and especially Titania.

Titania, however,is going to join to battle a little to late to actually contribute.
This isn't a problem though because we get some assistance by the frail Rhys, our first healer and also one of the few light magic users in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Haven't seen some pirates in an medieval themed game in quite a while, so here they are.
They're really just bandits except that their leader and one of his henchman talk like pirates.... seems like the developer didn't think this one really through.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!

Time for our first battle against the Daein army ... well it's only a scouting troop so it's not a gigantic battle.
They're still much more of a challenge than those pesky bandits and pirates.

We also save an unconscious lady named Elincia ... how do we actually know her name when she can't even talk to us?
Well anyways, seems like war once again rears it's ugly head and it's up to us to do something against it .... or just run away like sissies .....

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 17, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Apepresident posted:

Edit: Just realised it's about aspect ratio not resolution.
No the game was recorded in 16:9 and not 4:3 because it's played on an emulator.

That...just makes it worse. Aside from the fact that Dolphin lets you keep the game at a 4:3 aspect ratio, it also has the ability to force widescreen in a game like this. It's probably not worth it due to a fair amount of graphical glitchiness as it was never intended to be in a widescreen resolution, but the point still stands that there is no reason why you should have your videos be 4:3 stretched out to 16:9. Hell you could even squish it back to 4:3 if you really didn't know about that (which may cause other issues for all I know but it would still be better than this crap).

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!

So this girl we saved last time around was actually the Crimean Princess and of course the evil Daein army is after her.
So her sitting around in our HQ probably means that we now have to take part in this war .... god dammit.

This episode also marks our first defensive battle. They're pretty easy to win since you can just wait it out without taking too many risks. However, going after the bosses for the extra EXp (and extra items they carry) is always super fun. Luckily we got the crits to help us out this time.

Genocyber posted:

That...just makes it worse. Aside from the fact that Dolphin lets you keep the game at a 4:3 aspect ratio, it also has the ability to force widescreen in a game like this. It's probably not worth it due to a fair amount of graphical glitchiness as it was never intended to be in a widescreen resolution, but the point still stands that there is no reason why you should have your videos be 4:3 stretched out to 16:9. Hell you could even squish it back to 4:3 if you really didn't know about that (which may cause other issues for all I know but it would still be better than this crap).
Well, it's a shame you don't like it.
I prefer the stretchy 16:9 over those pesky black borders and I don't really plan on changing that any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Apepresident posted:

Well, it's a shame you don't like it.
I don't really plan on changing that any time soon.
Maybe you should? Like, 5 episodes over the course of a week with two replies, both urging you to fix your poo poo, might be some kind of a hint?

• Locked thread