Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Yeah, I mean, it sucks, but if it was sentimentally or historically irreplaceable, it was the dumbfuck who loaned it out's fault. More directly, it's the propmaster's fault. If it was important and it was one of a few items that were not props and were borrowed antiques, everyone should have been informed about it.

A similar thing happened in Battlestar Galactica, where Edward James Olmos improved smashing the model ship that his character had been building. It was an amazing scene, but he didn't know that it was an actual antique model ship that the prop department had borrowed from a museum. But it was insured. Because they were smart.

A Goon rented or sold his classic 1940's car for the last Indiana Jones movie. I think it was the one that smashes into the statue of Marcus Brody when Indy and Transformer boy are being chased by KGB agents. He wasn't aware they were going to wreck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

A Goon rented or sold his classic 1940's car for the last Indiana Jones movie. I think it was the one that smashes into the statue of Marcus Brody when Indy and Transformer boy are being chased by KGB agents. He wasn't aware they were going to wreck it.

And that's sad for him. But if you are letting something that you personally value leave your posession, is it not prudent to find out or take steps to control what will happen to it?

Like, I'm not saying that anyone deserves to have something they care about destroyed. I'm saying "I loaned an antique to a movie company and they destroyed it!" isn't some kind of betrayal, it's "did you loan something out without having in writing what was and wasn't okay for them to do with it?"

Is that not how this works?

edit: and furthermore, if something is literally irreplacible to you because of sentimental or historical value, don't loving loan it out. period. Just don't loving do it. If it's irreplacible, don't do it. If it has a dollar value, have the poo poo in writing that makes it clear. If it is irreplaceable and you still want to loan it out, somehow, make personally connections with the people who are going to be handling it and make sure that you trust them.

Until the story is "I was best friends with Quentin Tarantino and he promised me that he wouldn't let anything happen to my priceless guitar, and he didn't bother to tell the people who would be handling it that it was important" there's not a bad guy here. There's an unfortunate tragedy cause by poor communication.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 8, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I guess I don't understand the logic of using the original at all, and not one of the 10 props. Authenticity for the .0003 percent of the audience that studies classical acoustic instruments?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Because Tarantino geeked out about using the real deal, if I had to guess.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I wondered WTH was going on with Daisy's reaction to the guitar smash when I first saw it, didn't fit with her character at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Drowning In Terror posted:

I wondered WTH was going on with Daisy's reaction to the guitar smash when I first saw it, didn't fit with her character at all.

I thought her reaction was a nice little touch of humanity shining through. Like she let her guard down for a split second and was forced to experience an unexpected emotion.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Efexeye posted:

I guess I don't understand the logic of using the original at all, and not one of the 10 props. Authenticity for the .0003 percent of the audience that studies classical acoustic instruments?

Actors from Inglorious Basterds said that their uniforms had period money and keys and such stuffed into the pockets because Tarantino thinks it helps with performance, so it doesn't seem unusual that he would pay attention to detail with regard to the guitar JJL was using.

I think it's unfortunate too that people are arguing that JJL's reaction was "genuine" in that sequence because that detracts from the fact that she acted her loving rear end off in that film and I don't believe that 99.9% of the audience would know the difference between an actual reaction from her and the rest of her performance in that film.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Steve2911 posted:

I thought her reaction was a nice little touch of humanity shining through. Like she let her guard down for a split second and was forced to experience an unexpected emotion.

One of my favorite interplays is the way Daisy brightens up when she first sees "Oswaldo Mobray" waiting for them in the cabin but later when he gives his big hangman speech you can tell she's genuinely unnerved.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

And that's sad for him. But if you are letting something that you personally value leave your posession, is it not prudent to find out or take steps to control what will happen to it?

Like, I'm not saying that anyone deserves to have something they care about destroyed. I'm saying "I loaned an antique to a movie company and they destroyed it!" isn't some kind of betrayal, it's "did you loan something out without having in writing what was and wasn't okay for them to do with it?"

Is that not how this works?

edit: and furthermore, if something is literally irreplacible to you because of sentimental or historical value, don't loving loan it out. period. Just don't loving do it. If it's irreplacible, don't do it. If it has a dollar value, have the poo poo in writing that makes it clear. If it is irreplaceable and you still want to loan it out, somehow, make personally connections with the people who are going to be handling it and make sure that you trust them.

Until the story is "I was best friends with Quentin Tarantino and he promised me that he wouldn't let anything happen to my priceless guitar, and he didn't bother to tell the people who would be handling it that it was important" there's not a bad guy here. There's an unfortunate tragedy cause by poor communication.

Oh, I agree. I was just recounting a goon's first hand experience.

If I'm recalling correctly he sold the car, but was told he could buy it back for a nice profit after the shoot. At some point the production decided to wreck it, but that was fully in their rights.

I think most goons were annoyed they choose to wreck a classic automobile when they could have just added .01% to their CGI budget. Then they saw how good a movie it was and realized it was totally worth it.

EDIT: corrected my spelling.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 10, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think most goons were annoyed they choose to wreck a classic automobile when they could have just added .01% to their CGI budget. Then they say how good a movie it was and realized it was totally worth it.

I refuse to believe that Indy 4 can be worth anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

InfiniteZero posted:

I think it's unfortunate too that people are arguing that JJL's reaction was "genuine" in that sequence because that detracts from the fact that she acted her loving rear end off in that film and I don't believe that 99.9% of the audience would know the difference between an actual reaction from her and the rest of her performance in that film.

She was great throughout the film, but I would actually expact different reactions in these scenarios: a) Somebody just smashed up a guitar and b) somebody just destroyed a priceless historic museum piece. Although IIRC her reaction wasn't too overdone in the context.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here are some H8 action figures, if you want them: http://www.necaclub.com/category-s/1884.htm

THE BAR posted:

I refuse to believe that Indy 4 can be worth anything.

The only good scene was the fridge nuke, but I'm probably alone there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This belongs in my life.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

The only good scene was the fridge nuke, but I'm probably alone there.

No, that was the only good part. Indy rushing into the tract house and realizing it's full of mannequins is as close to classic Indiana Jones as that film got.

Maybe it was lame compared to past movies, but it was "boulders chasing you through a cave awesome" compared to what came later.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked it when he missed his swing and said "thought it was closer."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Krispy Kareem posted:

No, that was the only good part. Indy rushing into the tract house and realizing it's full of mannequins is as close to classic Indiana Jones as that film got.

Maybe it was lame compared to past movies, but it was "boulders chasing you through a cave awesome" compared to what came later.

I don't really ever need to see the movie again. Nothing about it really sticks with me, other than the fake town.

All I remember is crap: CGI fire ants, CGI monkeys, the magnetic stuff that floats through the warehouse, the weird psychic torture chair, fencing between two moving vehicles, aliens in big chairs, and ... meh. Even the skull-faced natives attacking didn't work, because nothing about it was especially fun, creative, or nostalgic. The entire film is just moving from thing to thing, because it needs to.

Edit: Indy should've gone to Argentina to rescue some bauble from Nazis in hiding. That poo poo would've ruled.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Steve2911 posted:

This belongs in my life.

I think everyone needs a little Tim Roth in their life.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

InfiniteZero posted:

Actors from Inglorious Basterds said that their uniforms had period money and keys and such stuffed into the pockets because Tarantino thinks it helps with performance, so it doesn't seem unusual that he would pay attention to detail with regard to the guitar JJL was using.

I saw the guitar smash a couple of times.

Nothing unusual about here reaction in the movie, IMO.

*If*....one knows before hand and watches it, it might add a little of a perception.

It's was another scene in the movie. Nothing unusual by her.

And yes, I thought she was acted very well in the movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Given this a second watch now. I think the only thing that really bugs me about it is the out of place slow-mo. Like, I get the bullet time shootings, but the awful slow talking is extremely out of place. Especially when Marquis carries on speaking in slow motion after the scene has resumed full speed. Was it purely for laughs? Because it's not funny.

Also I really hope Tarantino was trying to make a point about the status of women with that last shot. If not, wow.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Harime Nui posted:

One of my favorite interplays is the way Daisy brightens up when she first sees "Oswaldo Mobray" waiting for them in the cabin but later when he gives his big hangman speech you can tell she's genuinely unnerved.

Theoretically her character might've started thinking she was going crazy or was in purgatory or something, with all the familiar faces but nobody was helping her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's probably more like it's not really amusing to have your friend talk about how, if you did get hanged, it would be justice.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Snak posted:

It's probably more like it's not really amusing to have your friend talk about how, if you did get hanged, it would be justice.

My friends have had that discussion and they were right on the money

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

My friends have had that discussion and they were right on the money

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding you... are you saying your friends thought that if you were to be hanged it would be justice, and they were right?

Cause that's kinda funny. Also sad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That exchange is my favourite use of the word 'dispassion'. Which doesn't get used enough.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snak posted:

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding you... are you saying your friends thought that if you were to be hanged it would be justice, and they were right?

Cause that's kinda funny. Also sad.

yes, I believe this is what Earthlings refer to as a "joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Steve2911 posted:

Given this a second watch now. I think the only thing that really bugs me about it is the out of place slow-mo. Like, I get the bullet time shootings, but the awful slow talking is extremely out of place. Especially when Marquis carries on speaking in slow motion after the scene has resumed full speed. Was it purely for laughs? Because it's not funny.

Also I really hope Tarantino was trying to make a point about the status of women with that last shot. If not, wow.

Late reply but yes I took the final moments to be about the place of women in the world. I mean ultimately the only thing that united the black and white man, who fought in opposite sides of the war, is their shared hatred for a woman.

It's a grim joke they end on, followed by the lie of the Lincoln letter.

• Locked thread