Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Grey Fox posted:

It would be a tremendous waste of resources and an ultimately futile effort with nothing but downsides, unless you're an investor in the private prison industry. And that's been good enough for a lot of people up to this point, sadly.

So it's going to happen, or at least there's going to be a bumbling effort to try and do it.

there is nothing that conservative administrations love more, than tremendous wastes of resources on futile efforts with nothing but downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Any chance of Obama using EO to reschedule cannabis on his way out the door? That wouldn't totally de-fang Sessions but it wouldn't hurt. I don't see Trump being in a huge hurry to undo that particular EO since there are much more disliked Obama EOs to go after.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

moist turtleneck posted:

I like how people are all about rights until it is something they want to control

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Unless has a personal stake in stopping pro marijuana legislation I'm not sure sessions will be get to do what he wants. Trumps mainstream GOP advisors +Ivanka are sure to know it will hurt them in CO, PA, MI, and FL in 2020.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Which members of the Trump family do you think 420 blaze it?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

barron

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tiffany for sure

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Aliquid posted:

tiffany for sure

oh yeah absolutely no doubt /w tiffany lol

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ace of Baes posted:

Unless has a personal stake in stopping pro marijuana legislation I'm not sure sessions will be get to do what he wants. Trumps mainstream GOP advisors +Ivanka are sure to know it will hurt them in CO, PA, MI, and FL in 2020.

There are literally like only six states left that lack at least some weak sauce form of a CBD program, and they're pretty much all political non-entities. Not that Sessions can't gum things up, but nationally there's a ton of momentum in just the last five years. Even Sessions' home of Alabama has a CBD program: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Alabama

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Our CBD program is almost nonexistent

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Our CBD program is almost nonexistent

:same:

a lot of Republican states picked up CBD to keep it from being used as a wedge issue against them while never doing anything to actually make it useful/accessible

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Aliquid posted:

tiffany for sure

can confirm

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Mirthless posted:

:same:

a lot of Republican states picked up CBD to keep it from being used as a wedge issue against them while never doing anything to actually make it useful/accessible

At least parents can point to the law if someone tries to make poo poo for them if they get it from out of state.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
30+ states with actual full MMJ though, so still a pretty substantial chunk of Congress represents places with MMJ that presumably wouldn't like their interests tampered with. Again we're a world away from where we were just five years ago, so rolling things back 20 years would be a tough row to hoe. But again the question is what little cuts can disproportionately hurt.

IRT weaksauce CBD, Florida is a good example of how half-measures by the Legislature might buy time but can't totally stymie progress towards wider MMJ. And both Louisiana and Arkansas are MMJ toe-holds in the South.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dmitri-9 posted:

At least parents can point to the law if someone tries to make poo poo for them if they get it from out of state.

As opposed to Kansas where a woman with Crohn's disease had her kid taken away and is looking at serious time for self-medicating despite a clear history of trying everything and being a wreck until CBD.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/shona-banda-medical-marijuana-legal-nightmare-continues

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

For the fl amendment, will ptsd end up being like headaches in california were and you will end up will a zillion docs handing out cards? It's not like the state is inexperienced with becoming a giant "legal" drug hub with oxycotin

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Marzzle posted:

For the fl amendment, will ptsd end up being like headaches in california were and you will end up will a zillion docs handing out cards? It's not like the state is inexperienced with becoming a giant "legal" drug hub with oxycotin

I'm torn between:

- Florida is terrible so no they'll be tyrants about it and demand all kinds of overlapping justifications preventing both pseudo-medical users and legit sufferers from obtaining

- Florida is terrible so they're bound to administer the program incompetently to the point where a note in crayon from your mom saying "weed couldn't hurt" will suffice

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm torn between:

- Florida is terrible so no they'll be tyrants about it and demand all kinds of overlapping justifications preventing both pseudo-medical users and legit sufferers from obtaining

- Florida is terrible so they're bound to administer the program incompetently to the point where a note in crayon from your mom saying "weed couldn't hurt" will suffice

Prescription pain pills were like the latter in Florida for a while until they tightened up somewhat. I'd likely think they'd err towards the former at this point though.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ivanka "Kush"ner Trump

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

Ivanka "Kush"ner Trump

Kieffany

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Aliquid posted:

Kieffany
Spliffany

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Donald Jr because he actually has a substance abuse problem thanks to Donald Sr.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Any chance of Obama using EO to reschedule cannabis on his way out the door? That wouldn't totally de-fang Sessions but it wouldn't hurt. I don't see Trump being in a huge hurry to undo that particular EO since there are much more disliked Obama EOs to go after.

The first black president will not have his last act be to reschedule weed. Poor optics.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

935 posted:

The first black president will not have his last act be to reschedule weed. Poor optics.

The first black President is already going to have their legacy destroyed in totality by the first internet troll President. Who gives a gently caress what he makes part of that legacy before he goes? It's all going to be reversed in the end.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

935 posted:

He was never going to legalize it. If it was going to happen it should have been Jan 20th 2008.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Obama won't do that, but he's got one last big set of pardons/commutations left in him. I would not be surprised if he commuted the sentences of several thousand non-violent drug offenders on his way out the door.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

He was never going to legalize it. If it was going to happen it should have been Jan 20th 2009.

I never understood how the first black president wouldn't take a step he has 100% control over that would have drastically improved the quality of life for black communities throughout the entire country. It's been bothering me since 2009 because I thought that was the -least- we'd be able to expect from him and it's because Obama was a captive "outsider" from before he declared for presidency. Like he's worried about the optics of not throwing people in jail for prohibition style reasoning, empowering the police state and enriching black market criminals? For all his tough talk Obama really has always been a giant bitch when it comes to actual leadership. His legacy will boil down to giving Trump the country and leaving the Democrats almost completely devastated after his role as head of the party.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
When he first came into office he pretty much opposed it, remember how he literally laughed at someone who asked him about legalization? He probably is cool with it now but I don't see him going out of his way to actually do anything.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Obama doesn't want to be remembered as weed president. He knows its the right thing to do but that has never stopped him from doing the wrong in spite of it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The Texas legislature only meets for five months every two years, and the next session starts in January. Weed was a big to-do in 2015, with bills ranging from full-legal to decrim to medical bouncing around in committees though few made it to the floor. The governor did sign off on a limited CBD bill in 2015, so it wasn't a total loss.

The crazy Christian libertarian conservative who proposed full-legal in 2015 isn't back this year, but there are a bunch of other bills being proposed, and Texas advocates are gearing up to try to get something through this next year, ideally expanded MMJ and decrim down to a civil infraction for small possession.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/11/22/texas-marijuana-laws-advocates-reform-movement/65736/

E:

quote:

The Texas GOP platform, adopted in May, states: “We call upon the Texas Legislature to improve the 2015 Compassionate Use Act to allow doctors to determine the appropriate use of cannabis to prescribed patients.” The state Republican Party approved this plank with 78 percent support.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Nov 23, 2016

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Brother Friendship posted:

I never understood how the first black president wouldn't take a step he has 100% control over that would have drastically improved the quality of life for black communities throughout the entire country. It's been bothering me since 2009 because I thought that was the -least- we'd be able to expect from him and it's because Obama was a captive "outsider" from before he declared for presidency. Like he's worried about the optics of not throwing people in jail for prohibition style reasoning, empowering the police state and enriching black market criminals? For all his tough talk Obama really has always been a giant bitch when it comes to actual leadership. His legacy will boil down to giving Trump the country and leaving the Democrats almost completely devastated after his role as head of the party.

In politics, which is not to be confused with good leadership, optics is everything.

No one wanted to look at an old white lady sitting in the Oval Office and it cost her the presidency.

He would be remembered as the druggie president forever.

Now he is just known as an Islamic terrorist by the right.

However, Obama is viewed as Jesus' second coming by the center.

While he is viewed as a spineless corporatist bitch by the far left.

Meanwhile to me, he was a breath of air on a fresh open wound. Yeah I felt a little better temporarily, but much more needed to be done in order to fundamentally solve anything.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For anyone interested in global discussion of weedlaw, D&D mods have approved a new cannabis thread, provided it avoids the Libertarian circle-jerking that doomed the last iteration:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800436

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

For anyone interested in global discussion of weedlaw, D&D mods have approved a new cannabis thread, provided it avoids the Libertarian circle-jerking that doomed the last iteration:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800436

Wasn't it crazy poo poo about the NC bathroom law that doomed the last thread?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dmitri-9 posted:

Wasn't it crazy poo poo about the NC bathroom law that doomed the last thread?

Dig to the mucky bottom of any terrible derailment and you'll assuredly find a Libertarian at the base of it. :colbert:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Bahaha. Reminder, that Obama is STILL in office so you can't blame Trump for this one.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-12-14/pdf/2016-29941.pdf

quote:

DEA is creating a separate
code number for marihuana extract with
the following definition: ‘‘Meaning an
extract containing one or more
cannabinoids that has been derived
from any plant of the genus Cannabis,
other than the separated resin (whether
crude or purified) obtained from the
plant.’’ Extracts of marihuana will
continue to be treated as Schedule I
controlled substances.
DATES
:
Effective:
January 13, 2017.

Thanks Obama!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Bahaha. Reminder, that Obama is STILL in office so you can't blame Trump for this one.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-12-14/pdf/2016-29941.pdf

Thanks Obama!

:psyduck: Wait, what? What does this mean for edibles? Is the oil Schedule I?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also reminder that Schedule 1 is defined: "as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse"

So anyone who is using Cannaboid Oil is obviously just doing it to get "high." I'm glad the government is cracking down on those immoral people.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MaxxBot posted:

When he first came into office he pretty much opposed it, remember how he literally laughed at someone who asked him about legalization? He probably is cool with it now but I don't see him going out of his way to actually do anything.

his daughters are never going to be arrested for smoking, so what does he care

he's rich bitch

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also reminder that Schedule 1 is defined: "as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse"

So anyone who is using Cannaboid Oil is obviously just doing it to get "high." I'm glad the government is cracking down on those immoral people.

i have no faith in the united states government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Arkansas is starting to take applications for grow sites. The fun twist is that there's a $15k fee just to apply, and you can get half of it back if you don't get picked (you won't get picked).

I guess they wanna scam some Jill Stein money of their own

• Locked thread