Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

this year i take the reins of Christmas dinner

I'm sure you have so much you are wondering about this task ask away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
so uh. whatcha cookin...

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
are you sourcing your ingredients from a local farmer's market

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
will you be wearing a festive apron, and if so, pic?

Manifisto

Is there anything you secretly want to make but are afraid would be too . . . weird, inappropriate, over-the-top?

ty nesamdoom!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

so uh. whatcha cookin...

Osso Buco served with potato pancakes and uhh ... Brussels sprouts I think? Maybe some braised broccoli rabe. Also before dinner there will be a variety of bruschetta toppings served with toasted baguette slices. I've been sick this week so planning has gone into the shitter.

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

are you sourcing your ingredients from a local farmer's market

I might buy some fancy potatoes from the farmer's market that sets up across the street from my house on the weekends but they don't do meat. The bones I needed to make the veal stock for the Osso Buco I bought from an old style Brooklyn Italian butcher. I ordered the meat from a local place.

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

will you be wearing a festive apron, and if so, pic?

No I will be wearing sad pedestrian clothes so that I may be forgettable and able to fade into the night.

Manifisto posted:

Is there anything you secretly want to make but are afraid would be too . . . weird, inappropriate, over-the-top?

I wanted to cook goose. I love goose and the rendered fat is amazing for later purposes but my parents veto'd the idea and since I am doing this for them as they are essentially unable to do it anymore, I acquiesced.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
i've been sick this week too. sucks man. sinus infection that developed into a flu like state, but without a fever. i do feel better today though.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

The veal stock I made last weekend. It simmered on my stovetop for approximately 12 hours. The next day when I looked at the final product in my refrigerator, it was richly brown and jiggly. One of my favorite things in the world.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
so do you come from an Italian family or something

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

so do you come from an Italian family or something

Nope. Working class Irish. What that means is that since my father liked to cook, he was free to choose any sort of cuisine he liked since Irish cuisine is garbage and able to be ignored. But this was still Brooklyn after all, so you couldn't avoid some red sauce Italian influences.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

Bo-Pepper posted:

Nope. Working class Irish. What that means is that since my father liked to cook, he was free to choose any sort of cuisine he liked since Irish cuisine is garbage and able to be ignored. But this was still Brooklyn after all, so you couldn't avoid some red sauce Italian influences.

your dishes all sound really good man

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I just took a spin through the BYOB Effortpost Funhouse and had a good time. I should make an Osso Buco post in that thread when I'm done.

Manifisto

Bo-Pepper posted:

I wanted to cook goose. I love goose and the rendered fat is amazing for later purposes but my parents veto'd the idea and since I am doing this for them as they are essentially unable to do it anymore, I acquiesced.

Too bad! But your alternative menu sounds pretty dang good. Actually I've never had goose, I'd be willing to give it a try but I'd be concerned it would be kinda greasy and gamey. Is it pretty similar to duck?

ty nesamdoom!

fuck. marry. t-rex

Osso buco is so good..................

fuck. marry. t-rex

You already did veal but sometime try lamb...

And wow extremely rude slay on Irish cooking. Race traitor

fuck. marry. t-rex

We did pretty good with only rocks and potatoes alright have some.pride

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

you should do something with yams. maybe bake them

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Manifisto posted:

Too bad! But your alternative menu sounds pretty dang good. Actually I've never had goose, I'd be willing to give it a try but I'd be concerned it would be kinda greasy and gamey. Is it pretty similar to duck?

Goose can be pretty greasy if cooked incorrectly but it's forgiving given that it's dark meat pretty much all the way through. I roasted a goose only the once, but the skin wasn't rubbery nor was the meat dry. Maybe I just got lucky. the surprising thing about a goose is how big the cavity is. Like you look at a big ole goose on your table and think wow look at all that and then it's hollow like a balloon.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

We did pretty good with only rocks and potatoes alright have some.pride

Hey Irish grandma let's boil some cabbage into fart gas together!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

you should do something with yams. maybe bake them

I know my audience and they would not go for yams, though I do love baked yams run through a food mill. All the creaminess and none of the extra fat like you might add if you were going for the mashed potato experience.

joke_explainer

That sounds amazing, Bo-Pepper. After cooking a thanksgiving for 16 people (with help) I feel like I got my 'making good food for people' fix in for the year so no big xmas meal from me, but I hope you get a chance to take some photos.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Bo-Pepper posted:

Hey Irish grandma let's boil some cabbage into fart gas together!

Go ahead... turn your nose up now at Olde Granny's Fart Gas... just leaves mkre for me

bacalou

do you like alcoholic eggnog and if so: what caused you to walk that dark road

Looke

stuffing?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Corbae posted:

stuffing?

What am I going to stuff? The bone? Geddoudda here!

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
what, are you too good for stuffing and turkey? Mister fancy plate over here turns his nose up at relish from a can, is that it?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

that's right you eat your bullshit stovetop stuffing and turkey slices while i feed my family on lovingly prepared gourmet dishes cultivated from the ground up you mongrel

fuck. marry. t-rex

Do people eat Christmas turkey?

bacalou

i will use any excuse to pour gravy on stale bread and celery pudding

Looke

if you don't have stuffing you may as well have Christmas in some famine stricken nation

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i have never in my life had turkey for christmas i mean what the hell thanksgiving is just a month previous how about not cooking the same thing over and over again you butts

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

fresh ham with crispy skin is the typical Christmas faire round these parts

Robot Made of Meat

Your foods sound tasty, Bo-Pep. Don't let anybody get you down!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

bird.

can you list all the spices you will be using

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

their intransigence only makes my dick grow harder

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

BrownianMotion posted:

can you list all the spices you will be using

Just your basic thyme and bay leaves with salt and pepper. I'll brown the flour dusted veal shanks. Then I'll sweat out a carrot/onion/celery mire poix. I'll braise all that for a long time in veal stock and wine until the meat is fork tender. Then I'll cool it down and refrigerate it for the next day since I'm making this part ahead. The next day I will reheat the pot, fish out the meat, keep warm on the side, and strain/reduce the braising liquid until it's thick and smooth. Finally I whisk in a few cold pats of butter and it's finished.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I may stick the meat under the broiler for a minute before serving to get a nice brown sear we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Bo-Pepper posted:

I may stick the meat under the broiler for a minute before serving to get a nice brown sear we'll see.

Almost always a good plan.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

• Locked thread