Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Paid off school and my car and I'm finally getting my own place at 24, but I want to move out of state. Currently in Florida, and I'd like to move to either New England or Washington state (Seattle area). Why? More job opportunities, the weather, The scenery (hills, hiking, etc), less old people, and I want to see Seattle and Vancouver.

Where do I even begin with this? What do I need to know? Is it too ambitious too soon? I hate the idea of spending money to stay in a place I rather not be, but I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew. A friend said I should get a job as a flight attendant, but I don't know if it's worth a job I don't want just for this. I make 1400-1600 a month and may have a friend roommate with me.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Might want to try visiting a few places first, but really the two biggest things that make for a successful move are:

1) Get a good emergency fund going (6 months savings)
2) Get a job lined up before the move.

#2 will probably determine where you end up. For ease of moving, since you're 24 and single, don't amass too much crap. If you can keep it to whatever you can easily pack in your car that will make your life super easy. Obviously that doesn't include furniture, but you can always leave that behind unless it's a family heirloom or something.

But yeah, get the hell out of Florida. Do note though that the weather in New England involves loads of snow and ice.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

How would I go about getting a job lined up? Or a better question would be how do I explain myself to a potential employer? Would asking for a phone interview hurt my chances?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 20, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

How would I go about getting a job lined up? Or a better question would be how do I explain myself to a potential employer? Would asking for a phone interview hurt my chances?

This 110% depends on your skill sets and training. If you have no skills beyond retail or whatever, then you'll have to go there in person and figure it out, or know someone up there who can set you up.

E: Moving across country is going to be killer expensive, and Seattle's public transit is not remotely as good as it's left-wing image might make you think, so you'd want a car unless you're super into biking. Saving up for that and a 3-6 month safety net is going to take forever on a $1500/mo income, unless that's your take-home after paying for rent and food and essentials.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2015

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Saladman posted:

This 110% depends on your skill sets and training. If you have no skills beyond retail or whatever, then you'll have to go there in person and figure it out, or know someone up there who can set you up.

E: Moving across country is going to be killer expensive, and Seattle's public transit is not remotely as good as it's left-wing image might make you think, so you'd want a car unless you're super into biking. Saving up for that and a 3-6 month safety net is going to take forever on a $1500/mo income, unless that's your take-home after paying for rent and food and essentials.
I'd most likely take my car. $1000 is about my take-home since I'm only paying for gas and food right now. I make $10 an hour at a hotel. Should I even bother trying to find a job before going? Is it likely given that I'm just barely above min-wage fastfood and retail workers?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Are you willing to live in your car for a while until you can find a job? How ok are you with rice, beans, and homelessness?

I would say you need 5k to make the move from Florida to Seattle. If you're willing to basically live on the street spending 100% of your time trying to find a job.

If you had a white collar background you could do Skype interviews and secure a job before ever leaving home. As a hotel worker your best bet is to just make the jump and live like a bum looking for work. It can be difficult when filling out applications when you have no home address, but there are many ways around that.

This may be unpopular advice... but most people I know who move far away and secure housing before a job end up failing. An apartment just gives you a place to be lazy and procrastinate. I promise you if you sit in your car for 3 days with nothing to do you'll end up job hunting a lot more voraciously.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! gently caress Florida.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

This may be unpopular advice... but most people I know who move far away and secure housing before a job end up failing. An apartment just gives you a place to be lazy and procrastinate. I promise you if you sit in your car for 3 days with nothing to do you'll end up job hunting a lot more voraciously.

Being in a car for three days with all of your stuff in it and sleeping in it sounds super stressful to me. I did this on a move to LA from Houston several years ago and I was super paranoid someone was going to break into my car and jack all my stuff. (I had a job lined up, but no housing; found a place after 2 days.)

Also presumably you'd need to find somewhere to shower and iron your shirts and stuff or those job interviews at hotels/restaurants/other-service-industry-place aren't going to go so well, unless OP is an exceptionally attractive person.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I'm actually in very much the same situation as you and started checking the forums to see if people had advice on job hunting out-of-state.

I'm in Florida, I have a master's degree in history and a bachelor's in political science.

I loving hate Florida and after my recent breakup I have nothing keeping me here. I'd like to go to Colorado, New England, or the Pacific Northwest. I'm really not particularly choosy about it, they're all places I have lived at one point or another (military family), but mostly I want very much to get out of Florida.

I hate my job and don't have a career here. I've been a writer and now editor for Nielsen for three years. I think my best bet is to switch to teaching, which I have some experience in as a substitute, and I used to coach a high school's FTC robotics team as a volunteer. I think I have a great resume as a teacher, having experience in corporate America and in education, and an advanced degree in the field I want to teach.

But I don't have the slightest idea how to find jobs in another state. It seems like I'll have to go county-by-county applying for dozens or hundreds of jobs in every county in every state I'm interested in, that I'll never even get callbacks for, because they'll see my Tampa, Florida address and just go "nah."

How the gently caress do people pick up and go somewhere else? One piece of advice I found by googling was to get a local address by buying one from Mailboxes Etc or something, but poo poo, even if I narrowed down my prospects to just one state, I'd then have to further narrow it down to the city/county. And what if I pick wrong? I have been actively job hunting (applying to at least one new job every day) for about eighteen months and I've had only ONE interview with a place that I actually wanted to work at. After the thirds interview, I sincerely thought they were going to offer it to me and then I never got a reply to anything; handwritten thank-you note, one polite email to the hiring manager, and another polite email to the HR director. That was real blow to my confidence.

I've got about $2,000 in savings and I only make about $35,000 a year, I just have no goddamn idea at all how to escape the pit of despair that is Florida. I'm 30 years old, I realize that if I keep doing what I've been doing for 12 years, saying to myself "I'm not ready yet, I'll go after I accomplish _____," I'll never leave.

If anyone has advice for ways to get hired from across the country, I'm eager to hear it. Most of the success stories I know about are high school friends with an MD, or the guy with a JD from Duke. How do normal guys manage to get hired at a distance?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do you guys hate Florida and romanticize New England?

I'm asking because i'm in similiar position now but in the exact opposite; I live in New England, hate it, and want ot go to Florida. Why? Because the job opportunities suck, the weather is horrendous and dangerous and it's full of the worst people (atleast where I live)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Abu Dave posted:

I'm asking because i'm in similiar position now but in the exact opposite; I live in New England, hate it, and want ot go to Florida. Why? Because the job opportunities suck, the weather is horrendous and dangerous and it's full of the worst people (atleast where I live)

I'd do some research on the job prospects in most places in Florida, even conceivably good places like Orlando or Tampa. If you like sprawl with bad public transportation and high rates of depression and drug use, you've got a friend in Florida.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'd do some research on the job prospects in most places in Florida, even conceivably good places like Orlando or Tampa. If you like sprawl with bad public transportation and high rates of depression and drug use, you've got a friend in Florida.

Oh for sure, but I would like to point out that things in New England are about the same too. There's a real bad heroin epidemic happening up here, it's just as if not more racist than the South (Like I could drive out and see confederate flags within a mile of my house...in the north!!!) and winter is real bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Always gtfo of Florida

If you have a college degree and nothing tying you down anywhere, why not teach English in a foreign country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Abu Dave posted:

Well, I've lived up there. I like snow and winter. I hate living in a sauna year-round. I hate the beach. I hate the bugs. Do you like suburban sprawl? Great, cause that is all there is.

Oh, and you know how school zones require you to slow down to 20 mph certain times of day? Enjoy senior zones now. Randomly slow down to 30mph every few blocks because there's a retirement home nearby.

I have zero access to anything I like here, such as hiking and rock climbing.

I've gone hiking in the lovely Florida parks and it's just trudging through a pine forest that frequently floods, and keeping a very sharp eye in front of you so you don't walk into a web with a three inch spider.

• Locked thread