Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

alnilam posted:

Heck it's a good way to get around as an adult!

You can keep your fancy $2k racing bike I <3 steel touring bikes from the 70s, also Pittsburgh winters would destroy a fancy bike anyway

Yeah, but my fancy racing bike can break the speed limit in town :getin:

I keep trying to get a ticket from the local pd, every time I see them I go all out. Nearly hit 28 mph right in front of them, and that still wasn't good enough :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm also overweight (6', 280 lbs) and poor, but like to bicycle. I haven't done it in a while because I don't actually have a bicycle at the moment. The last time I biked I did 13 miles on asphalt on a mountain bike, traveling along the riverbed to the beach. (Santa Ana Riverbed from Fountain Valley, CA to Huntington Beach, CA).

What I've learned:
Don't use a mountain bike with a semi-flat tire on asphalt and hills.
Buy your own personal bike instead of borrowing one.
Even if you are overweight it's still fun and good to bike.
I like bicycles.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Butch Cassidy posted:

Cyclists aren't attractive, OP. They have the spindly arms of a spider, opalescent upper body skin of Gollum, asses deflated for lack of fat in their kale chips, and flabby thighs held together with spandex. HTH.

If there's one things cyclists don't have it's flabby thighs!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

If there's one things cyclists don't have it's flabby thighs!

Uh, check the thread title there chief.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yes but his comment was obviously not bagging on the subjects of the thread title since it mentions spindly arms and deflated asses :colbert:

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

As a fat man who has ridden a pile of cheap bicycles, a better quality back wheel could be a sound investment.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Do whatever it takes to get your rear end on that saddle

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Why are we even talking about this. Being on a bicycle at least doubles the rider's sexiness. Next topic please.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

meselfs posted:

Being on a bicycle at least doubles the rider's sexiness.

:agreed:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

Do whatever it takes to get your rear end on that saddle

Wait the rear end goes on the saddle? I've been riding all wrong.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

meselfs posted:

Why are we even talking about this. Being on a bicycle at least doubles the rider's sexiness. Next topic please.

i love cycling but this is decidedly untrue

if we cared about looking cool or sexy, we'd be on motorcycles

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i love cycling but this is decidedly untrue

if we cared about looking cool or sexy, we'd be on motorcycles

Speak for yourself, I'm on both :smugbert:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm on both :smugbert:

is this some kind of new tallbike

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a fat gently caress and I ride a mountain bike. I wasn't poor then I bought a bike. I am out of shape and sound like a gutshot accordion when I climb but I bike anyways.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The best decision I probably ever made was signing up to be a pedicab driver. Fat and poor and dumb and bad at talking to people? You either wash out of that job in two weeks or you end up ripped and poor and smart and professional-level quality at making people like you within thirty seconds. If you're a dumb nineteen year old in Austin or something that's a really good call. Do that for a year and your old friends won't recognize you

I miss bikes, I've got a couple problems keeping me off of one right now but I'm trying my best to get back there soon.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

meselfs posted:

The only expensive thing I can vouch for are kevlar lined tires, but they are so worth it.

This beauty is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour. I got my first pair in my poor student days and didn't regret. My last flat was 6 years ago, and I beat the poo poo out of them (have gone through three pairs by now).

If you want to save money do all your own maintenance (which adds more to your attractiveness, fyi). It's a lot of work, but don't forget that you worked to pay for that gasoline.

This. A million times this. I walked into a bike shop a year ago and asked 'What are the toughest tyres you sell' as I was so sick of getting punctures. Got my Marathon Plus's and haven't had a single puncture since.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Deptfordx posted:

This. A million times this. I walked into a bike shop a year ago and asked 'What are the toughest tyres you sell' as I was so sick of getting punctures. Got my Marathon Plus's and haven't had a single puncture since.

Same. Well, sort of: I have the Marathon Touring Plus tires, the pair of which are together 600g / 1.3lbs lighter than the Marathon Plus and still extremely robust. I've put a few hundred miles on mine already in city and country roads and on more flint gravel than I'd like to admit, and no punctures. Marathon Plus are a bit of overkill, but puncture-resistant tires are a must unless you absolutely love fixing flats.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
That's me, I used to ride bike a lot 4-5 years ago then I traded my sweet fixie for a motorcycle license then I got real depressed then I got even fatter than I was (250-380 or so.) But now I got a bike back together. I had it since back then (80's Shogun) but it was under the deck rusting because I converted it to single speed and the gearing was too low to really ride so I got a new cassette, shifter, derailleur, new seat, and chainring. Now I'm back on a bike. Although it's only been a week I've managed to ride every day.. only 2-3 miles but it's a start.

Had to spend about $180 to get it back on the road but I couldn't find any other bikes that fit right. The post your bike thread wasn't too impressed but I think it's a cool bike. The chainring is even purple even though you can't see it. Still could use some slick tires and I need to get a spacer so the derailleur hits all the gear but other than that it's rolling good.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Neat. I did a good job of cutting lbs with my fitness pro for calorie tracking and a pretty regular bit of cycling.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Fat bikes look insanely fun

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

CommissarRed posted:

I'm also overweight (6', 280 lbs) and poor, but like to bicycle. I haven't done it in a while because I don't actually have a bicycle at the moment. The last time I biked I did 13 miles on asphalt on a mountain bike, traveling along the riverbed to the beach. (Santa Ana Riverbed from Fountain Valley, CA to Huntington Beach, CA).

What I've learned:
Don't use a mountain bike with a semi-flat tire on asphalt and hills.
Buy your own personal bike instead of borrowing one.
Even if you are overweight it's still fun and good to bike.
I like bicycles.

Orange county is surprisingly good for bikes. I commute from huntjngton beach harbor to Newport beach 3-4x a week on my bike. I got a nice road bike for about $250. A cheap and fun way to spend an afternoon is biking down bolsa chica state beach to Balboa island and grabbing grub down there

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010
Ehhh, original post seems more appropriate for YLLS.

I'm fat, and I bicycle! It's awesome and I love it.

Klimpy Borf fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 26, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

DrCornelius posted:

Ehhh, original post seems more appropriate for YLLS.

go gently caress yourself

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Britt Burns fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 6, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Mods change thread title to "Talkin' 'bout Extra-wide Saddles: Fat Asses on Bikes" You see it's funny because you're not supposed to sit down on a bicycle when you're riding properly

I love seeing fat people on those stupid one-speed beach cruiser bikes, or even better, on one of those bikes that seem to be so trendy with the walmart-shopper crowd, with the 5" wide tires that're made for riding literally on sand - the friction resistance from those wheels must be murder without any gear ratios to adjust.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 5, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Mods change thread title to "Talkin' 'bout Extra-wide Saddles: Fat Asses on Bikes" You see it's funny because you're not supposed to sit down on a bicycle when you're riding properly

I love seeing fat people on those stupid one-speed beach cruiser bikes, or even better, on one of those bikes that seem to be so trendy with the walmart-shopper crowd, with the 5" wide tires that're made for riding literally on sand - the friction resistance from those wheels must be murder without any gear ratios to adjust.

i, too, am mad

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Weather is finally warming up here in the southern hemisphere - time to get my crummy bike out of storage, squeak it along the nearest bike trail a few times, and start fantasising about buying a real one again!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

coyo7e posted:

No.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Really? Because when I switched out my knobby mountain bike tires for a commuter hybrid, I could feel the difference, and see it in my average cruising speeds on my speedometer when I'm going traffic speed

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Really? Because when I switched out my knobby mountain bike tires for a commuter hybrid, I could feel the difference, and see it in my average cruising speeds on my speedometer when I'm going traffic speed

you ride a hybrid and mock people for not prioritizing speed

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
and here I thought I was mocking you for being so fat you need a reclining bike or tricycle because you can't stand off your saddle like a healthy human

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Marketing campaigns have convinced you that you should strive for a certain body type, and their expensive product can help. Bikes are great, and available to the overweight and poor.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

meselfs posted:

Eh what are you talking about? Cycling makes you attractive.

About money, people who spend a lot are just showoffy. Get some 90's Shimano mountain biking components on any old rusty POS frame, clean the chain every month, grease the hubs every year, and you're set. Here's a picture of something that lasts almost forever:

The only expensive thing I can vouch for are kevlar lined tires, but they are so worth it.

This beauty is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour. I got my first pair in my poor student days and didn't regret. My last flat was 6 years ago, and I beat the poo poo out of them (have gone through three pairs by now).

If you want to save money do all your own maintenance (which adds more to your attractiveness, fyi). It's a lot of work, but don't forget that you worked to pay for that gasoline.

Those tires are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah i have marathon plusses on my cx bike and they're heavy as loving poo poo but they simply do not flat. schwalbe has demo vids on their site of people just rolling through a field of thumbtacks and broken glass.

750g tires are 100% worth never flatting, especially when those extra grams pale in comparison to all the extra grams im carrying around in my gut and manboobs

• Locked thread