Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Bought a bunch of gear & a season pass this winter and pretty much immediately fell in love with it. If anyone lives near a resort or in an area where they can regularly do it I implore them to give it a shot, and stick with it through the painful first few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went snowboarding last April and had fun bruising the gently caress out of my knees and lower arms. Probably retarded to go that late in the season though because it was more of an icepack than anything.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
tl;dr: always take a beginner safety class thing when you do it for the first time.

I've only gone snowboarding maybe on four occasions, which were surreal for me because I spent most of my youth in areas of the world that almost never snow. Near the end of the season, I can rent the pass and snowboard for about $10 USD. It's really awesome.

I made the mistake of never doing the "newbie class" or whatever for my very first time snowboarding. After doing the bunny slope for most of the day, I tried moving up to the next level or whatever (the Blue Square difficulty category, I think?) because my girlfriend got tired of doing the easy poo poo with me. She can handle going down the Double Black Diamond slopes and poo poo, so I'm a total pussy at this stuff compared to her... but I'm good at swimming and she's not, so we're even.

Near the end of the slope I fell forward because I felt I was going too fast for my comfort and didn't know how to slow down or stop. I have to go on really shallow zig zags in order to go at what feels like a reasonable speed for me but in this case I had accidentally gone parallel with the slope for a few seconds and couldn't figure out how to turn sideways again. Really hurt my knee at the time. It was really scary and I sat there on the side of the slope near the end for like 15 minutes waiting for the pain to subside so I could know if I'm hosed or not. Luckily I had only sprained it really bad rather than broken anything, but after I recovered I went down the slope 2 or 3 more times just to make sure I wouldn't go the rest of the year or whatever with some irrational fear of snowboarding.

I've since gone back to do that slope a few times over the years and I have a blast on each occasion. Snowboarding is fun, but I think I've had my fill.

Good times.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

There is a great skiing and snowboarding mega thread. It has a great OP.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740763&pagenumber=33&perpage=40

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

spwrozek posted:

There is a great skiing and snowboarding mega thread. It has a great OP.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740763&pagenumber=33&perpage=40

I was wondering if there was a thread for it. Weird forum choice.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It used to be in GBS for 3 months and then moved. Then GBS became whatever it is now.

I agree it is a bit weird but just where it was put.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Last night we were walking and watched a ~2 year old kid take his first snow boarding ride. It was dark and almost flat, but he was able to cruise a few feet before his dad caught him or he plopped over. His smile definitely said "extremely great." Also, the dad-lift looks way easier to board than the chair.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

spwrozek posted:

It used to be in GBS for 3 months and then moved. Then GBS became whatever it is now.

I agree it is a bit weird but just where it was put.

There was nowhere really for it before, but now there is.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I'm partial to skiing myself, but both are great. Great enough that even though I live in the middle of the freakin' desert I still buy a 6 day pass every year to a resort that is an 8.5 hour drive away. I would encourage everyone to go.

If you are new you will probably be pretty sore by the end of the day but you should still have a great time.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I really like snowboarding, but it hates me. As soon as I clip into the bindings my feet immediately feel like they are being attacked with hammers. It's not the regular kind of foot pain that everyone gets where you're like, ouch! It's the kind where you immediately buckle and tremble and try not to vomit or black out, sometimes failing. Eventually after cussing like a sailor it will subside a bit either until I hit a flat, or I board long enough to really enjoy myself, at which point I once again hit the deck in mortal anguish. It subsides after a week of boarding, but by then I'm usually spent, emotionally and physically.

For the longest time I thought it would go away when I got better, but it hasn't. I've tried different boots, got custom insoles (multiple) different binding configurations, got special socks, different boards... Always the loving same. I've met one other guy who had the same issue but he worked at an indoor slope and he said he just roughs it out on the slope for a week before going away.

Next year I think I'm just going to learn to ski.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

!Klams posted:

Next year I think I'm just going to learn to ski.

If snowboard boots and bindings give you such pain I sincerely doubt you'll be better off on skis. My snowboard boots are the most comfortable footwear I have ever purchased both in and out of bindings. When you got the boots/custom insoles did you get the boots heat moulded at the same time? It can help with breaking them in. It could also be related to your stance while boarding, or even to the way the board hangs while you're on the chairlift straining your joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am going to guess it is a binding issue, what are you using? Also you don't need to have them cranked down. Also the angles and forward lean are also something to look at. If you ask in the snowboard thread you might get some helpful responses.

• Locked thread