Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

chitoryu12 posted:

Anyways, we got word that she suffered a slight accident while trail riding in Tennessee. While riding down a muddy, narrow path her horse threw her (not even the horse wanted her)....downhill. I can't recall how far she tumbled, I think something like 50 feet. The only thing that stopped her from going down a 100 foot sheer drop at the end of the hill was her neck being broken against a tree. She also landed in a hornet's nest, which she's allergic to. "Miraculously", she avoided getting stung even once. She also came close to dying yet again from her broken vertebrae impacting her breathing, and was once again "miraculously" saved by a helicopter rescue.

stdh.txt is thataway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I was camping on Catalina Island and got charged by a buffalo. We had been watching him sitting up on a bluff over the beach all night, silhouetted against the sky. In the morning I walked down the beach to the raised area where the porta-potty was, to find him sitting directly in front of the doors. We had been seeing buffalo the whole weekend and hadn't had any problems, so I stepped up onto level ground and he charged me immediately. Luckily, he was an old bull so he only chased me back off of his area, about 15 feet. I peed in a bush and decided that I will eat exclusively buffalo meat when it's burger time.

This fuckin guy...

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

lol :tbear:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I was camping on Catalina Island and got charged by a buffalo. We had been watching him sitting up on a bluff over the beach all night, silhouetted against the sky. In the morning I walked down the beach to the raised area where the porta-potty was, to find him sitting directly in front of the doors. We had been seeing buffalo the whole weekend and hadn't had any problems, so I stepped up onto level ground and he charged me immediately. Luckily, he was an old bull so he only chased me back off of his area, about 15 feet. I peed in a bush and decided that I will eat exclusively buffalo meat when it's burger time.

This fuckin guy...

What's with the Saran wrapped logs?

Also Catalina seems like a really cool place

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Anthrovore posted:

What's with the Saran wrapped logs?

Also Catalina seems like a really cool place

Means they bought firewood from a store or something, it's usually bundled together like that.

Don't know about Catalina but some places don't let you bring in your own or collect firewood so you have to buy it

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Catalina was awesome - we did the 3 day Trans-Catalina trail backpacking trip, and the rangers provide fire and water at the final beach camp which is nice, it's just sitting there in a pile waiting for you at the beach. You get plenty of water, and a fire at camp without lugging a shitload of wood with you or trying to scavenge.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
the closest I've probably come to dying while backpacking was when I was a kid and with my family deep in the back country. I was sitting on a big rock that was next to a drop off to a rocky stream bed below (it was maybe 20 feet or so down) and I rocked backwards and fell over the edge. My dad immediately dived after me and disappeared over the edge as well and my mom broke down because she thought she just watched her son and husband fall to severe injury or death days away from even a trailhead much less a hospital.

Turns out there was a bit of a sloping ledge with some trees growing on it below the rock and I landed on my feet and grabbed a tree before my dad grabbed me and pulled us all back to safety.

Apparently it was exciting!

Now I do a lot of road biking and probably almost die every day because of rear end in a top hat drivers. Had a box truck pass within like a foot of me recently and a commuter shuttle almost take my head off with its giant gently caress off wing mirror and I hope both of those guys get ball cancer and have to have their nuts cut off

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I proposed at sunset on a remote desert backpacking trip.

2 hours later the norovirus hit.

:nexus: :barf: :barf: :nexus: :barf: :nexus: :nexus: :barf: :nexus:

gently caress Vegas buffets. If it'd happened any of the times I've gone farther out solo in the same BFE corner of Joshua Tree I would've been in serious trouble. Now I know my wife can totally carry all our stuff by herself though...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

She sounds like a keeper :v:

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
I was in the middle of a multi-day orienteering race and was on the trail way after night fall navigating by headlamp. Everything was fine when I see a pair of eyes glowing at me just beyond the light. I take a step forward to see a wolf staring right back at me with its head lowered. It's right in the middle of the trail and it's so dark I have no idea what's on either side of me, but I figure I was about to get rushed. Felt like that guy in Jurassic Park. Anyway, it starts moving toward me so I grab a trekking pole from the quick release on my pack straps. Not sure what good i thought it'd do, thinking I was going to have to brain this guy while it chomped on me. Instead it just walked on past me and down the trail. I wish I could say I used better judgement after that but all I did is strap up my pole and keep walking.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Killing Flies posted:

it starts moving toward me so I grab a trekking pole from the quick release on my pack straps. Not sure what good i thought it'd do, thinking I was going to have to brain this guy while it chomped on me.

The urge to equip a club in these situations is remarkable. One time was on the chilkoot trail, where there are all the miner "artifacts" (garbage) along the trail. Within seconds I was wielding a +3 Rusty Iron Scrap. Same story though, we never entered combat.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We stopped overnight to camp in the Daniel Boone National Forest. I was barefoot (like usual) at night, having wine with my mom outside. We kept seeing this strange light on the forest floor and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I walked out there in the grass/weeds and looked around but just couldn't figure it out.

Later that night I felt as though my feet had been bitten by a ton of insects and my foot started itching like crazy. Over the next few days my feet swelled up and I had these little red areas all over, which itched like no mosquito bite has ever done. After researching with cousins I found out these were chigger bites. These frigging larvae mites crawl into your skin and inject digestive enzymes and then chew up your inner skin around where they burrowed. When they are done inside your skin, they fall out and become mature adults. I probably had an allergic reaction because my feet itched so much I couldn't sleep nor could get any relief except a little with very cold water. This lasted for days. I think the larvae probably fell out a state over in Tennessee, and my cousins are probably not happy I transported chiggers to their place. It was so uncomfortable that I could not walk, wear shoes, or do anything without extreme discomfort.

Give me the big things like bears, moose, elks, cougars, but gently caress the little larvae :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009
ah yes, the humble chigger. bane of southerners everywhere. or, i guess, southerners in the american south

my closest call was probably getting hit in the hardhat with a chainsaw when i was working for a conservation corps in utah. i had been on the job for about 3 months at that point, working 10 hour shifts every day doing nothing but cutting down trees as fast as possible. we were working in a very isolated canyon in the escalante staircase, cutting invasive pinyon juniper and russian olive - russian olive is a nasty plant, inch-plus thorns covering a gnarly octopus body that sprawls in every direction. we were gunning hard because we had a deadline and we needed to have the piece cleared by the end of the month. it was towards the end of shift, i think around 4 PM and i was isolated, exhausted and just cutting in "zombie mode", working as fast as possible without even really paying attention to what i was doing. i swung the saw towards this branch that was suspended up in the air, caught between two other branches, and the bottom of my bar hit a crotch in the middle and bound for a second.

the next thing i knew, i was standing there in a daze with my hardhat off and the saw stopped. it took me a good couple seconds to get my bearings, and a few more to realize what had happened. the saw had ricocheted backwards towards my face at the speed of a fastball, and connected with the brim of my hardhat. the auto-safety had engaged and turned the saw off due to the speed of the impact. i stood there dumbfounded for a moment, and then beat around and found my hardhat which had flown about twelve feet away into a bush. it had a huge gash in it where the chain had gouged out a series of indentations about a foot long. you could see where the bar had run into it, the brim was bisected. an inch lower or to the left and it would have hit me in the left eye or cheek. i found the bandanna i was wearing beneath my hardhat was twelve feet in a different direction.

the march back to my boss, and the conversation i had to have where i told him what happened was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. i was very lucky in that i had an excellent mentor who was able to convince me that it wasn't my fault, that i wasn't an unsafe piece of poo poo that was unfit to run a saw and that poo poo like that happens from time to time. she had been hit with a saw herself once, but for her it was in the arm and she didn't have a hardhat to protect her. they ended up hanging my ruined hardhat in the saw shop with the moniker, "I Saved Somebody's Life"

the weird part was, i kept having bizarre dreams for weeks afterwards. my boss insisted that i take the rest of the day off, but after that i went about my business as normal, cutting 10 hours a day just like i used to. but as soon as i went to bed at the end of the day, the minute i closed my eyes, the dream started up and it was like a medical video of chainsaws cutting through flesh from then until i woke up. no context or anything, just 8 straight hours of close-ups of chains ripping through meat. i kept this a secret for about 2 weeks and finally told my girlfriend at the time over the phone about it. from the day i told her about it, i never had that dream again. i guess there's probably a lesson in that

black children fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 14, 2016

• Locked thread