Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How great is he?
Great.
Greater.
Greatest.
Just Alright.
Goku.
View Results

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Great wilderness writer, or greatest wilderness writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

environmental terrorism is cool.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
He sounds like he was an elitist jerk if you hung out with him but I agree with him on things

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like a lot of his work but there are a few thing sI don't like about him

his view on nature can be a little bit elitist like "if you ain't rappelling down a canyon with an old army pack and going off into the desert for weeks at a time, you ain't poo poo"

i like doing that sort of thing but a lot of people don't and i would still be thrilled if the squares of the world wanted to enjoy nature and learn to love, respect, and appreciate it... you won't really have that (realistically speaking) unless you have things like e.g. roads to get you there, and i just got the impression when reading the monkey wrench gang that one of the things he was opposing was developing infrastructure to help people come out and enjoy the desert because he was upset that all of these lamewads were going to be coming for tourism and he just wanted to be alone in the desert

in other words he had sort of a relativistic nativist approach to enjoying nature - if you're not already here and steeepd in outdoor culture then gently caress you

like i respect his views on industry not intruding into pristine nature and even on taking direct action to stop it, which is also what a lot of mmonkey wrench gang was about, but then they spent a lot of time opposing a bridge/road being built and talking about all those city folk who would soon be flooding their beautiful lonely desert... it's been a while since i read that so maybe i'm mis-remembering

i might be wrong about his views about eco-tourism but generally i think it can be a good thing and while I sometimes feel sad to see a once-empty place in nature become more popular, I can't really be mad about it because hell yes I'm glad all these people are enjoying this place now (just please don't gently caress it up)

also i heard he was kind of a jerk esp. to women

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

i might be wrong about his views about eco-tourism but generally i think it can be a good thing and while I sometimes feel sad to see a once-empty place in nature become more popular, I can't really be mad about it because hell yes I'm glad all these people are enjoying this place now (just please don't gently caress it up)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LOL gross

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Those photos are a bummer sure, but the whole forest would be destroyed if you let slack jaw tourists just walk where ever they feel like moseying. Just imagine the breadcrumb trail of Capri Suns. :shrug:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also there's only so much land, you're gonna have to learn to share it eventually, if you can make people admire it and love it like you do then that's better than people hating it and wanting to turn it into a mall

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Apparently half dome is much better these days since you need a permit

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Watermelon City posted:

Those photos are a bummer sure, but the whole forest would be destroyed if you let slack jaw tourists just walk where ever they feel like moseying. Just imagine the breadcrumb trail of Capri Suns. :shrug:

Oh yeah, I know, I'm in school for ecotourism and outdoor leadership. But it's pics like that which make me glad I'm Canadian because crowds are rare here past the couple highways and parking lots in the region.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most of those pics are from Yosemite if I'm not mistaken so that's pretty much the worst it will get worldwide.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
friggin goku....lmfao.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

There's a need for wild spaces on this planet. A place where someone can go and be alone with nature. To challenge themselves and their limits. We as a society need to work to preserve these places because humanity needs them to exist. And once the wilderness is gone, it's gone forever (practically). So we should preserve it now. That's what I always gathered to be the core of Desert Solitaire.

The best views and the best experiences should not be made easy, else it turns into the pictures above.

That being said, it's alright to build up some in parks, so that those who should take it easy can still see some wonder in nature, so as to fight for it. But that growth should fulfill a desperate need, not a want.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like wilderness areas a lot for that reason. Idk maybe I'm misreading him i just think a lot of people simply won't ever go enjoy nature if it's all hard to get to, so there has to be some hard ones and some easy ones. I like the hard ones but I'm glad the easy ones are there, for people who i could never convince to go backpacking, or who can't. And i feel like Abbey was kind of like "gently caress all nature appreciation that isn't hardcore backpacking" but i might be reading into him falsely.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

the only edward abbey book i ever read was "The Monkey Wrench Gang". Its been over a decade since i read it so the details are a little fuzzy, but I remember that there were two characters who drive around and burn down billboards along the interstate in the book. I think they call it Highway Re-beautification or something like that. When i drive in the midwest and see a lot of crazy right-wing billboards ad nauseum, I always think of that and am slightly tempted to commit a little ecoterrorism of my own hehe.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Piso Mojado posted:

the only edward abbey book i ever read was "The Monkey Wrench Gang". Its been over a decade since i read it so the details are a little fuzzy, but I remember that there were two characters who drive around and burn down billboards along the interstate in the book. I think they call it Highway Re-beautification or something like that. When i drive in the midwest and see a lot of crazy right-wing billboards ad nauseum, I always think of that and am slightly tempted to commit a little ecoterrorism of my own hehe.

same

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I remember the monkey wrench gang advocated drinking and driving

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

yeah that part pissed me off a lot, he went into excruciating detail about haYwood getting wasted while driving :mad:

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

alnilam posted:

yeah that part pissed me off a lot, he went into excruciating detail about haYwood getting wasted while driving :mad:

i still have the book and need to read it again, but wasnt haywood the guy with the willys jeep? I thought he was mostly riding around drunk in the middle of nowhere?

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

im not saying its okay in either case, but its hard for me to take issue with that when the same character bombs a train lol.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

The Monkey Wrench Gang is pulpy as hell and Abbey was not seriously advocating drinking and driving. I'm pretty sure he did want the reader to pour sugar into the gas tank of construction equipment after finishing the novel, though.

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 22, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

idk abbey strikes me as the kind of guy who would get wasted and drive around the desert and if he got pulled over he'd grumble "it's MY loving desert" and about how in his day all the cops knew him and he could do whatever he wanted... Haywood felt a lot like a self insert to me

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I do like the extensive details he gave about how to disable construction vehicles though :ninja:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah it felt like an extension of the "loving government meddling in poo poo" theme of the book.

But whatever

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The Monkey Wrench Gang blew my loving mind when I read it in highschool. I got real into blowing stuff up. I am amazed I still have all my fingers and don't have a police record.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm just finishing up Monkey Wrench Gang now and it's a great, great book. Desert Solitaire is also awesome. I love this passage that encapsulates the southwest:

Edward Abbey posted:

Down from the sacred mountain into the rosy dawn he rolled, into the basin of the LIttle Colorado River, the pastel pink and chocolate brown and umbrous buff of the Painted Desert. Land of the petrified log. Land of the glaucomous Indian. Land of handwoven vegetable-dyed rugs, sand-cast silver concho belts and overloaded welfare case loads. Land of the former dinosaur. Land of the modern dinosaur. Land of the power-line pylon marching league on league in lockstep like 120-foot outer space monsters across the desert plains.

My home. :patriot:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I remember the monkey wrench gang was a better book than that other one i read for school with the freakin talking gorilla... think he really hated indians or something? nature is for critters not people imo... your stupid views don't matter to no drat deer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Levitate posted:

And stashing peanut butter.

• Locked thread