Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black children
Dec 14, 2009
my "stove" is an old folger's can that i cut a door in the front of, and i fill it with tinder. heats a coffee kettle in about 2-5 minutes. one of the advantages is i can just take any old can of a coffee and make a new one whenever

that is all

black children fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

I have a Whisperlight, a Primus and a Coleman white gas, but I almost always end up taking an alcohol stove made out of a Bud bottle and use Heet yellow bottle as fuel.

https://youtu.be/Ty13Im0wBhU

this guy gets it

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

black children posted:

Retarded Pimp posted:

I have a Whisperlight, a Primus and a Coleman white gas, but I almost always end up taking an alcohol stove made out of a Bud bottle and use Heet yellow bottle as fuel.

https://youtu.be/Ty13Im0wBhU

this guy gets it

Nonsense...Real hikers use Everclear, not Heet. Everything must have at least two uses.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gaj70 posted:

this guy gets it

Nonsense...Real hikers use Everclear, not Heet. Everything must have at least two uses.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? White gas has tons of uses. Filling a zippo. Getting a difficult fire started. Uh... stripping paint. Poisoning unpersons. Hurting bears in the eyes. Burning incapacitated bears/unpersons. The list goes on.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

gaj70 posted:

Were it that everclear was available in Ohio :ohdear:

It's the most expensive, but it's also the cleanest and burns the hottest, right?

I just switched from my whitebox style alcohol stove to this 12$ chineesium titanium dealie (6$ if you buy it elsewhere and can wait 6-8 weeks for it to ship directly from china)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Camping-Outdoor-Portable-Titanium/dp/B01077AGC2/

This thing is awesome! Weighs nothing, and when combined with my Olicamp Pot with Heat Exchangers, it's ridiculously fast and effective. I'm saving so much weight and carrying so much less with fuel over my alcohol stove, and it's much easier to start, stop, and more stable. Win Win Win.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Were it that everclear was available in Ohio :ohdear:

It's the most expensive, but it's also the cleanest and burns the hottest, right?

It depends. Everclear is sold in two strengths - 190 proof and 151 proof for states where the 190 proof is illegal. Neither are very expensive relative to other fuels, but the 190 is the only only clearly better in my experience. The main benefits being that it's also consumable and nontoxic for disinfecting... things. I don't know, it's just a flimsy excuse to get tipsy with bears. Anyway, if all you can get is 151 proof then it doesn't matter much, though you DO have to worry about toxic fumes of you burn HEET, and it'll also blacken the hell out of your pot.

For stoves, a homemade alcohol stove is my #1 for trips where campfire isn't an option. I like that I can pack in my Everclear and lighten my load as I use/drink it up. The amount of fuel I bring is about equal to the weight and bulk of a gas can, but when the can is empty it still weighs about 95% of its starting weight. Though spillage is a factor with ethanol.

My backup is an old optimus. I've only used it about four times and I still have one and half of the three cans I bought with it years ago. It boils water at sea level about as fast as an alcohol stove, so there just aren't enough benefits comparatively to take it.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Killing Flies posted:

It depends. Everclear is sold in two strengths - 190 proof and 151 proof for states where the 190 proof is illegal. Neither are very expensive relative to other fuels, but the 190 is the only only clearly better in my experience. The main benefits being that it's also consumable and nontoxic for disinfecting... things. I don't know, it's just a flimsy excuse to get tipsy with bears. Anyway, if all you can get is 151 proof then it doesn't matter much, though you DO have to worry about toxic fumes of you burn HEET, and it'll also blacken the hell out of your pot.

Another option is denatured alcohol from the hardware store. But like Heat, it's poisonous and should only be burned in a ventilated area.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Killing Flies posted:

...though you DO have to worry about toxic fumes of you burn HEET, and it'll also blacken the hell out of your pot.

You only worry about toxic fumes when it's not burning, and it won't blacken anything. Cleaner burning that ethanol (everclear), it's one of the cleanest burning liquid hydrocarbons you can get. Might you be confusing it with Iso-HEET?

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

meselfs posted:

You only worry about toxic fumes when it's not burning, and it won't blacken anything. Cleaner burning that ethanol (everclear), it's one of the cleanest burning liquid hydrocarbons you can get. Might you be confusing it with Iso-HEET?

Yes. Yes I was.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
Just ordered a trangia knockoff from Amazon for less than $9. I'm interested to see how it compares to beer can stoves.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Piso Mojado posted:

thanks i will check some canister stoves out! simple/fast is better for me since in even the best circumstances, I feel like i need coffee to make coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Medaglia-DOro-Instant-Espresso-2-Ounce/dp/B001E5E24A

is the best instant coffee i've found.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I'm thinking of buying a pan, pot and/or mug to use with my trangia stove, as the pan-and-pot system that comes with the stove seems thriftier on space and weight than I need to be while cycle camping. Any recommendations?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I'm partial to my Vargo cup that nests on my nalgene for quick and dirty cooking. For bigger meals I personally use a snowpeak 1400 set that can hold my burner, propane and stand but that's probably overkill for you.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Made a #yolo purchase on massdrop for a firebox nano. That thing is easy to get started, burns nicely and is super fun to play with.

I'm back to solid fuels as a backup, using hexamine though instead of the pressed poo poo cubes that makes your house smell like an elephant's colon. Weighs a lot less than a trangia and is a lot harder (for me) to gently caress up.

All that stuff fits into my snow peak 900 pot set (the lid is its own pan!) and weighs like 400g when in a reflectix cozy. With alternative materiaos and some spergy minmaxing you could probably cut the weight in half though.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Mein Eyes! posted:

I'm thinking of buying a pan, pot and/or mug to use with my trangia stove, as the pan-and-pot system that comes with the stove seems thriftier on space and weight than I need to be while cycle camping. Any recommendations?

If you want cheap and works well.

Make a Supercat stove to take on a motorcycle trip, it works pretty good and boils a cup in about 4 minutes.

Bringing a BSR titanium canister stove to try out too.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Retarded Pimp posted:

If you want cheap and works well.

Make a Supercat stove to take on a motorcycle trip, it works pretty good and boils a cup in about 4 minutes.

Bringing a BSR titanium canister stove to try out too.

That greasecan looks good - something small with a lid should be plenty. Research has pointed me towards the MSR Stowaway, which looks like it'd have a more useful handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mein Eyes! posted:

That greasecan looks good - something small with a lid should be plenty. Research has pointed me towards the MSR Stowaway, which looks like it'd have a more useful handle.

I have this pot. It's very nice as it doesn't rust and it's durable as all he'll but it is heavy. While I like mine, I'm trying to cut weight and aluminum cook sets are easily half the weight. Also, if you actually cook anything in that pot, I hope you enjoy scraping because poo poo sticks to it if you're not careful. Titanium is even lighter but it's expensive.

For my backpacking gear I'll probably move towards aluminum with the ceramic non stick coating.

• Locked thread