Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I like ascii in this and roguelikes cause it forces you to use your imagination :>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I like ASCII because it never changes, if I start playing after a long break I don't want to have to guess what some 24x24 pixel scribble is supposed to signify

Some tilesets do look way better than ASCII though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I always liked the ASCII so I never changed it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Plus all the tilesets had like the fixedsys font but comic sansified a little bit so it was huge and looked stupid.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The fail font...

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dwarf fortress uses a 3d accelerated surface to draw two-color tiles that look like ascii characters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's the dwarf fortress symbol for a toilet. I need it for a project.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

all the tilesets look like rear end

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ralp posted:

dwarf fortress uses a 3d accelerated surface to draw two-color tiles that look like ascii characters.

its a powerful technique and a major upgrade over the old graphics

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Is there an isometric graphics mode yet?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I think so? There's a couple utilities that hook into the game and produce a graphical interface but I dunno how well they work. Was never interested in that kind of thing.

ASCII is perfect if you can handle it. Get a nice crisp font like Bisasam's and a color scheme you like and the readability's gonna be a hundred times better than any graphic set.

Personally I prefer 40d16 or so, right when they switched over to

Ralp posted:

Before that the game was like a cottage in the woods. It's small and there's not a whole lot to it but it's cozy and everything works. Now it's more like a giant mansion that's only half done. You can tell it'll be sweet as hell some day but right now there's scaffolding everywhere and dust and the wiring's all hosed up and half the walls are just tarps. We're at that growing pains stage where the foundations for future cool poo poo are being laid but those foundations are ugly as hell and mostly don't work.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dwarf Fort ASCII looks just insane because of the different symbols and colors for varieties of grass and weeds and poo poo. I played MUDs with ASCII graphics for years... DF is just very unfocused and ununiform. Imo. Good game otherwise though. Shame about to slow down and difficult to use mass management tools that you basically need after about two hours.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The ini file contains options to clean up clutter, including changing all floor tiles to periods. That one's pretty much a must I think. Hiding boulders also helps in your fort.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

Dwarf Fort ASCII looks just insane because of the different symbols and colors for varieties of grass and weeds and poo poo. I played MUDs with ASCII graphics for years... DF is just very unfocused and ununiform. Imo. Good game otherwise though. Shame about to slow down and difficult to use mass management tools that you basically need after about two hours.

You can turn off the random poo poo for grass and engravings which I have to do or I go insane. Agree about the rest

Still it's one of those games that really has its moments

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah absolutely. Toady needs a guy to optimize his code real bad though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mister Bup posted:

The ini file contains options to clean up clutter, including changing all floor tiles to periods. That one's pretty much a must I think. Hiding boulders also helps in your fort.
Does that help with having periods in five different shades of green representing the grass on the surface?

Average Bear posted:

Yeah absolutely. Toady needs a guy to optimize his code real bad though.
Programmer cancelled Optimize code: went insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

frankenfreak posted:

Does that help with having periods in five different shades of green representing the grass on the surface?

yeah because there are only two shades of green in the default palette

I started playing this again the other day even though I have a ton of new games to play through after the Christmas sales, this time I decided to just use dfhack to change anything that annoys me and it's pretty fun so far

• Locked thread