Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I'm sure you've all been told (or told someone else) that you're TOO GODDAMN LOUD, but have you ever taken it upon yourself to turn down someone else's amp? At rehearsal our rhythm guitarist was telling the bassist he was too loud and needed to come down. Maybe he was but it didn't seem too bad to me or to the other guitarist. Anyway, half way through a song he walks over to the bass head and turns it down. Now I'm a drummer so I don't know all the ins and outs of being a guitarist but loving with another guy's amp seems like a dick move. Like a "you just crossed the line" move. Is it? I'd think it would be like a lead singer propping a foot up on your bass drum. Which will get a lead singer's rear end kicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
To be honest it sounds like you're all pretty uptight about working with each other. if I was trying to make music with someone who was so precious about anyone touching their poo poo it wouldnt last very long. it's a collaborative effort, touch everyone's poo poo all the time and try to make it a team effort to find that middle ground.

I just started working with people who come over and start loving about with knobs on my synth and it's great because sometimes we find new things that work better i wouldn't have thought of, and I gently caress with the guitarists tone (and levels) and the drummers samples all the time. sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't but it's part of the process.

Also lol at the singer getting his rear end kicked for putting a foot on a bass drum. how many times i've seen touring bands do this, it's hard to believe they get their rear end kicked every night.
What would you do if the singer picked up a couple drum sticks during practice and went crazy on the cymbals during an intense bit? Would you go with it and practice how to make it work in one track (or say 'good effort but i dont feel that works') or would you straight up 'kick his rear end'?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 23, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The singer in one of my old bands once took it upon herself to go to my board to do the "wiggle all the effects knobs to make stupid sounds" thing at the end of a show once except she didnt know which knob did what so she just turned the sound off entirely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd say that stuff is pretty normal OP, because guitarists / bassists tend to stand next to their amp in practice sessions and it's impossible to tell how loud you are a bit further away, in the actual area the other members can hear your volume properly.
We tend to do this for each other as a matter of habit, as it helps you sit in the mix better and benefits everyone.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty common to do in a Pre-Production / rehearsal environment. One of the bands I recorded last month actually asked me if I could fiddle with the equipment on the go because, while they've recorded demos and stuff, they had never actually used middle-tier / somewhat-expensive heads and such.

It was pretty funny watching them get bemused with all the "over the top" gear they had access to. :3:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
you know you're in a band that's going places when you develop a pre-show/pre-rehearsal docking ritual as a bonding exercise

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I'd say that stuff is pretty normal OP, because guitarists / bassists tend to stand next to their amp in practice sessions and it's impossible to tell how loud you are a bit further away, in the actual area the other members can hear your volume properly.
We tend to do this for each other as a matter of habit, as it helps you sit in the mix better and benefits everyone.

Maybe so, I'd just never seen it happen and it struck me as being akin to just picking up a guy's guitar and playing it without asking. Maybe I'm uptight but I can't imagine doing that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

praxis posted:

Maybe so, I'd just never seen it happen and it struck me as being akin to just picking up a guy's guitar and playing it without asking. Maybe I'm uptight but I can't imagine doing that.

It sort of is, but again that'd be absolutely fine with my circle of people.
I guess it comes down to how long / well you know the other people as well. If Paul picks up my guitar and starts loving around that's cool cos Paul rocks.
It's as much about social dynamics as anything else I guess, but within my circle of muso pals it goes without saying, of course you can have a go, borrow my poo poo, hit my drums, whatever really :)

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

It sort of is, but again that'd be absolutely fine with my circle of people.
I guess it comes down to how long / well you know the other people as well. If Paul picks up my guitar and starts loving around that's cool cos Paul rocks.
It's as much about social dynamics as anything else I guess, but within my circle of muso pals it goes without saying, of course you can have a go, borrow my poo poo, hit my drums, whatever really :)

True. I guess the more relevant info was that this was a new group so none of us really knew each other. I do have friends who can sit down behind my kit and play each others guitars freely. I've still never seen one guitarist adjust another one's volume/tone/etc on his own. But at the same time, I've never had a guitarist/bassist ignore the band when he's told he needs to turn down/up/whatever.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

praxis posted:

True. I guess the more relevant info was that this was a new group so none of us really knew each other. I do have friends who can sit down behind my kit and play each others guitars freely. I've still never seen one guitarist adjust another one's volume/tone/etc on his own. But at the same time, I've never had a guitarist/bassist ignore the band when he's told he needs to turn down/up/whatever.

If it's a new dude then I'd raise an eyebrow, I'd not say anything though and it'd be OK as long as he wasn't some bumbling oaf or disrespectful to my stuff. I'd certainly be much more on my guard though yeah.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
You are a band and you are making music together as a cohesive unit and you should not be bickering about "crossing the line" when turning a knob on an amp. That is normal, especially half-way through a song when someone realises the mix is sucking. As someone else said, volume levels are different for everyone during rehearsal, since they depend on where you're standing - a musician right in front of their amp won't have the best idea of the appropriate level.

I shudder at the thought of being in a band where the drummer would "kick the singer's rear end" for putting up a foot on the kick drum. Unless this is something like your first or second rehearsal (in which case, this stuff is a little rude, sure) your band has issues. You say this is a new group - just how long have you guys been together? How old are you all?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I think peter gabriel has this pretty much nailed. It's more an issue of us not really knowing each other. The dude is no longer in the group, anyway. Adjusting other people's equipment was just one symptom of his uptight control issues. As for "kicking the singer's rear end" - that's Internet Tough Guy talk for "I'd give him a harsh look." I've never had that happen, it's just the closest comparison I could think of as a drummer.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

comes along bort posted:

you know you're in a band that's going places when you develop a pre-show/pre-rehearsal docking ritual as a bonding exercise

Maybe if you idiots would show up on time! :mad:

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?
Showing up on time is the one thing I can never do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
edit: not an etiquette megathread, my bad

meatcookie fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 22, 2016

• Locked thread