Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Coding can be a fairly monotonous task, so what are some of the things that you do at the same time to make it less so?

I've found that nature videos tend to work pretty well. Also The Joy of Painting episodes are very un-distracting. Anything that doesn't require complete attention or doesn't have a plot to follow seem to fit the bill fairly well.

If it's a show, what show is it, and can you actually pay attention to what you're doing and not get sidetracked? Radio shows? Audio books? Anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones
If it's a task that requires most or all of my attention then I'll listen to instrumental music on youtube

If it's a task that requires some of my attention, like debugging or code review, then I'll use a second monitor to watch bad horror movies on Netflix or Amazon Video, where "bad" usually means "predicted rating of two stars or less"

If it's a task that doesn't require much of my attention, like documentation, then I'll use a second monitor to watch science documentaries or standup comedy or pretty much anything

If it's a task that only requires one hand then I'll masturbate

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I guess that works, if the movie is so bad that you don't care about the plot, you don't have to pay much attention to it!

Another program that might work well is Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Most people have probably seen it already so it's another nice thing to have on just for someone with a soothing voice, talking about billions upon billions of stars. There's not too many episodes though, so I usually end up going back to good ol' Bob Ross and his motivational happy clouds.

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones
Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos is also good, except for the animated parts that I feel compelled to watch with full attention

Nature documentaries are good for the same reason that bad horror movies are good - they're around 10% death and 90% stuff leading up to death. Plus David Attenborough's voice is in the same category as Sagan's.

Recently I saw Filthy Cities, which is about how medieval London, revolutionary France, and industrial revolutionary New York were full of poo poo. I only caught bits and pieces of it because I was busy programming and underestimated the complexity of the task, so I watched the series about three or four times so that I could catch different bits and pieces each time.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
I don't listen to it personally but I keep hearing about Music To Code By which some people here may find useful.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I hadn't heard of that one, though I have used music for programming.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i used to listen to trash music, but these days i mostly pair up with somebody -- working with a few teammates on a distributed system and we all bother each other regularly

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Music. Can be anything, but Boards of Canada does the trick very well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I've been listening to the starcraft 1 soundtrack on repeat for months at work while coding. I find it helps because it drowns out background noise and doesn't get in the way.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I like to see how much code I can write in an hour. Then try to break that record.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

If it's stuff that needs focus, usually instrumental music or even just oscillating white noise.

If it's just busywork, streams or let's plays on the 2nd monitor usually do the trick.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I usually listen to podcasts or instrumental music if I need to focus a lot.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

sarehu posted:

I like to see how much code I can write in an hour. Then try to break that record.

Are you self-employed, or paid per line?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nah, he's just shrughes :v:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Sinestro posted:

I usually listen to podcasts or instrumental music if I need to focus a lot.

I tend to listen to talk/news/football radio, or podcasts while programming. I don't know why, but music always distracts me, doesn't matter what kind either. Whatever is on XM usually works too if the local radio sucks. I'm pretty much a computer trucker.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

dougdrums posted:

I tend to listen to talk/news/football radio, or podcasts while programming. I don't know why, but music always distracts me, doesn't matter what kind either. Whatever is on XM usually works too if the local radio sucks. I'm pretty much a computer trucker.

I've been codin' all night, my fingers red on the keys...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Are you self-employed, or paid per line?

I think it's a simpsons reference.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

I think it's a simpsons reference.

...I'm an idiot fucker.

Recently some people at my office have really taken to standing on balance-boards. I find it completely distracts me, and and makes it much harder to type, but different strokes.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
A lot of metal at the start, and then moving into podcasts/instrumental stuff. Also getting up and walking around every 30-60 minutes, so I don't go insane. A lot of people forget to do this

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
My imagination tends to get too carried away with music, and I feel that if I listen to it for too long I need to get up and move around for a bit. I love listening to music, but it has to be more meditative than productive. Podcasting is the only one that really works for me. I use CBC Radio's Ideas series as my primary resource, though their archive is a lot smaller than it used to be.

If no new podcasts are available, I find an eBook and copy it into a generic Text-to-Speech application. You could burn through a lot of books in this fashion if your coding is taking a long time, but it only works with eBooks that have clean PDFs.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Another thing I've just found that's nice to have on are foreign language programs, preferably in a language you don't understand well. Not only is it less of a distraction, but you can eventually learn correct pronunciations and accents in the other language by osmosis just from listening to it a ton.

If you have an internet connection in the EU you can get a bunch of german channels and others at http://zattoo.com/watch/. I haven't found anything else like this yet though.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I have a standing desk, so I dance at my desk while listening to music. It has turned my sedentary office lifestyle into one of near-constant physical activity :).

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I used to frequent https://www.listentoamovie.com. He's got a huge library and its hard to get distracted by a movie you can't temporarily look at. Some movies work better than others of course, don't pick Wall-E or something. Everyone should be required to listen to Hackers as their first movie.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

FateFree posted:

I used to frequent https://www.listentoamovie.com. He's got a huge library and its hard to get distracted by a movie you can't temporarily look at. Some movies work better than others of course, don't pick Wall-E or something. Everyone should be required to listen to Hackers as their first movie.

Thanks for this. Oftentimes I like to have a movie or tv show on in the background to listen to but sometimes get caught up in just watching it.

NeoSanguine
Jan 7, 2015

This is my swamp.
I like to listen to video game soundtracks while I'm working. Recently fallen in love with the Firewatch soundtrack.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I listen to Swedish-language radio because it's a lot easier to tune out both banter and lyrics in a non-native language. Also a lot less suicide music :finland:

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
i'll put david attenborough's "life on earth" series on if the task doesn't require much brain power. otherwise it's usually radio caroline (former british pirate radio station) or game soundtrack. the last two are particularly good for any type of work really, as they don't distract much and tend to keep you focused.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Ricky Gervais Show with Karl Pilkington

To Catch a Predator

I like YouTube because you can make the window really small and the video player resizes and it's just there in a little corner next to whatever I'm working on

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

New, "hard" development where I have to figure out something from scratch/solve a bug/develop a new feature: Classical music. The soundtrack to the Red Violin movie is a good start, and then I'm a sucker for some Tchaikovsky

Making license plates (e.g. something that's specced out completely or I've done before, lots of string handling/xml, doing up stored procs, etc.) - High energy electronica. Even that D34DM0US3 guy sometimes.

Maintenance, data manipulation, analytics, reporting, writing - Usually put on an LP on the other monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Maintenance, data manipulation, analytics, reporting, writing - Usually put on an LP on the other monitor

Oh yeah, watching speedruns is another good one.

• Locked thread