Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I'm looking for an mmo to play with my brother who lives in a different state. We played vindictus for a while a couple years back, but quit because of the grind and the instanced style of play. I think lag might have been an issue too? I'm definitely looking for something with an action sort of combat. Right now, I am thinking about black desert, but I haven't really committed to anything.

I think we are really just looking for something that is skill based and is intrinsically fun to play. We agree that feeling compelled to grind to get to some kind of end game is kinda lame, and that the journey should be the fun part. Also, we would be casual as gently caress, so a monthly payment scheme won't work out well.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
the only choice is guild wars 2

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

gw2 seems to mostly be geared towards playing dress up. I guess so is eso, but it seems less ridiculous with the styles still being somewhat appropriate.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Eh, I'm gonna be playing on a computer I have yet to build. I have no idea if I can afford more than poverty graphics.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

GW2 runs very well on weak systems.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
But will I be tabbing and hitting hot bar keys? Because that sounds boring. I really liked vindictus because it was all combos. (Unless I am miss remembering)

I wish I could find something that played like dark souls, but had tons of people playing...

Like I really want to play with a 360 controller.

Zev fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 27, 2015

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

Zev posted:

I'm looking for an mmo to play with my brother who lives in a different state. We played vindictus for a while a couple years back, but quit because of the grind and the instanced style of play. I think lag might have been an issue too? I'm definitely looking for something with an action sort of combat. Right now, I am thinking about black desert, but I haven't really committed to anything.

I think we are really just looking for something that is skill based and is intrinsically fun to play. We agree that feeling compelled to grind to get to some kind of end game is kinda lame, and that the journey should be the fun part. Also, we would be casual as gently caress, so a monthly payment scheme won't work out well.

Any recommendations?

I am enjoying The Elder Scrolls Online.
It's definitely not a sandbox. It's a straight theme with a storyline like LOTRO in my opinion, but it's not bad.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Have you tried HuniePop? Can be a great time with friends!

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

central posted:

Have you tried HuniePop? Can be a great time with friends!

Hahaha

Griz
May 21, 2001

FF14 is good for this after you get past the first ~30 levels which are pretty much babby's first MMO for Japanese console players with no MMO experience.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
IMO Vindictus style action takes a huge poo poo all over other MMOs that try to replicate it, but the grind and instancing is what it is. Although the grind has been toned down quite a bit recently. Honestly you a probably better off with Monster Hunter on Wii-u or 3DS, or when Dragon's Dogma comes out on PC. You can dump quite a lot of hours into those games, just like an MMO, and the grinding is pretty reasonable.

Edit: Dragon's Dogma is not co-op, I forgot, you basically play with clones of your friends singleplayer mode.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 28, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Griz posted:

FF14 is good for this after you get past the first ~30 levels which are pretty much babby's first MMO for Japanese console players with no MMO experience.

Yes, recommend FF14 to a guy wanting action combat because that makes sense.

If you are looking for small group content its maybe worth checking on various coop games like helldivers?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Zev posted:

But will I be tabbing and hitting hot bar keys? Because that sounds boring. I really liked vindictus because it was all combos. (Unless I am miss remembering)

I wish I could find something that played like dark souls, but had tons of people playing...

Like I really want to play with a 360 controller.

gw2 actually plays better with a controller than kb+m with the new action camera lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Neverwinter has action style combat and can be played with a controller (they have an Xbox One version, but the PC version is better).

• Locked thread