Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

PirateDentist posted:

Mine is suspended with shock cord so it's tight and snug against me when I'm laying down. It holds the hammock up if I'm not in it. The wind tended to catch mine and pull it out from under me, but it has extra loops along the edges so I have a second bit of shock cord going over the ridgeline to add extra support and that hasn't happened since. Where are you cold? All over or just the bottom?

It was really just my rear end and because I am a more... ample gentleman, my shoulders a bit too. Mostly lower back and butt, though. I think I just had it set up incorrectly or facing the wrong way.

Just set it up in my back yard to see if it was improved and laid in it about a half hour. I figure by that point I would have gotten cold if i was going to. For reference there was snow piled up around me and it was about 35F and windy. I also didn't have a bag or anything on top. I was significantly warmer with just the quilt this time which I found very odd. With a bag/top quilt I should have no trouble.

Underquilts are weird sometimes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

spwrozek posted:

When camping in a tent a 3/4 sleeping pad is lighter to carry and then you just throw the top of your pack under your feet. It is pretty slick.

Unless it's getting down around or below freezing at night and then it's kinda playing with fire (or cold blah blah)

I want an exped ul synmat but I don't want to pay for one. And a bitchin' tarp setup.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Levitate posted:

And a bitchin' tarp setup.

Amazon has the 12' Kelly Noah's Tarp for $50, it's on the heavy side compared to some of the others, but it's a great tarp that will do anything. For motorcycle camping, the weight difference isn't an issue for me, anyway. I connected Zing-it line to the guy outs with a 6" loop of shock cord for tension and some give so I don't rip the tarp or pull the stakes out if I catch on the lines at night and used these tiny line locks from Dutch.
https://www.dutchwaregear.com/tarp-and-quilt-stuff/#/product/101

Then a couple of Dutch Flys and Zing-it to hang it, seems to be a good setup so far.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

PirateDentist posted:

I have one of those! I use it with a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. I use a 20F sleeping bag like a topquilt and I've been down to about 22F and windy and been perfectly warm. Had to get some better shockcord that loops over the ridgeline to keep the wind from pushing it from under me.

I really like hammock camping. Easy set up, quick takedown, comfortable as gently caress. No rocks in the back or cold ground.

Cons:
  • Single person only, no sharing a big sleeping bag if that's a factor for you.
  • No enclosed space for clothes changing/gear.
  • You're dependent on trees to hang from.
  • Much more enclosed in a cold weather setup. If you're used to tiny backpacking tents this may not be a problem, but I had a bit of claustrophobia when I first used one. (Like, an actual panic attack and had to sleep in the car the first night. I got better.)

I can attest to PirateDentist's enjoyment of his hammock. When we go camping together I am often jealous of the way he floats lightly above the hard cold ground covered in rocks and debris while the rest of us are earthbound, forced to endure mother nature's freezing, jagged embrace.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
A Hammock is good because from the side it looks like A Smile

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
why did the op edit out his posts

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

No clue but Yukon hammocks are on sale again at Woot (and you thought I was kidding when I said they went on sale all the time).

Only this time they have under and top quilts too! So that's new and interesting.

I also saw someone on one of the hammock forums ask about this all in one system from China. The discussion said it was a decent starting point so anyone starting out who is confused by all the different parts and opinions on hammocking could start here and just upgrade as you see fit.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yukon Outfitters rainfly on Woot for $17 FYI.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Once you go hammock, you never go back

:gay:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

OSU_Matthew posted:

Once you go hammock, you never go back

:gay:

Confirmed. Did some camping this weekend with hammocks. Once it's set up right, there's no back pain, no cold spots.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I just kickstarted a cool looking tent/hammock hybrid thing from Kammok called the Sunda. I'm pretty excited about it but won't get it until June. Hope it's as cool as it looks.

Editing in a picture:

You can also pitch it as just a hammock without all the extra tent stuff or as an ultra light version of the tent that is essentially just the footprint and the red zippery bits.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 22, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tree Dude posted:

I just kickstarted a cool looking tent/hammock hybrid thing from Kammok called the Sunda. I'm pretty excited about it but won't get it until June. Hope it's as cool as it looks.

Editing in a picture:

You can also pitch it as just a hammock without all the extra tent stuff or as an ultra light version of the tent that is essentially just the footprint and the red zippery bits.

Link?

I'm wondering if this is very cool and good, overpriced, or if the rule of hybrid woodworking tools will apply and that much like an adze on the back of an axe it will function worse and more dangerously than an adze and an axe would separately

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

extra stout posted:

Link?

I'm wondering if this is very cool and good, overpriced, or if the rule of hybrid woodworking tools will apply and that much like an adze on the back of an axe it will function worse and more dangerously than an adze and an axe would separately

Not in a position to post a link but I've given all the info you need to find more about it!

I had the same concerns but Kammok seems well respected and early press on the Sunda was positive so I went for it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I don't know anything about the Sunda, but my buddy bought one of the kammock hammocks, and it's just about the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever been in.

He gave up on it pretty quickly, and picked up a Hennessey all in one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't know anything about the Sunda, but my buddy bought one of the kammock hammocks, and it's just about the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever been in.

He gave up on it pretty quickly, and picked up a Hennessey all in one instead.

Well that's disappointing to hear. Guess I'll find out! Worst case it seems like a perfectly fine normal style tent.

• Locked thread