Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I don't do long hikes because I'm a fat-rear end lazy goon but I love camping.

I'm in BC and here there are provincial and national parks with campgrounds, private campgrounds (inevitably totally lovely for tent-camping) and the best: forest service campgrounds (now I believe called "Forest Recreation Sites"). These are located in public forests with timber tenures (so like, there is logging, they're not protected land) and usually accessed by gravel logging roads of varying quality. They have cleared sites with picnic tables and fire rings. Lots of them are on lakes and have sites right on the waterfront. Some have an attendant and are like $10 a night but others are "user-maintained" and free and they're pretty great.

What are your favourite places to camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We were gonna do this but it's got too lovely out, so might stay in the city

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
out in the middle of nowhere with no one else around.

Regular campgrounds tend to fill up with lots of people and I'm anti-social.

That said it is nice to get a group of friends and hang out in a big campground with a big ol fire. We used to do a group camping trip to Assateague every year and build giant firepits on the beach at night and drink beer and hope that the ponies don't decide to try to gently caress you up

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Updated the thread title to make it more clear.

I'm all into backpacking and long hikes but sometimes I like to bring a cooler full of beer and just shoot cans with my slingshot all day while soaking in a river. Most of my car camping experience was back in the midwest (Michigan (upper & lower), Indiana, Wisconsin, Indiana). My favorite place to camp was in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Sturgeon River Campground near Baraga/Sidnaw. We would get the same spot right on the river every year. Usually the 3rd week in October for bird/grouse hunting. Late enough in the season that a fire was mandatory at night and the campground (all of 6 sites) was empty. The nights up there around Oct/Nov are routinely 25-35 degrees, days can be anywhere from 30-50. We've had snow, rain you name it. I usually slept in a tent with exception to last year when I finally bought a 4runner and just slept in the back.

Now I'm out in Seattle so I'm looking forward to camping all year round pretty much.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I like to camp a lot but schlepping beer around can wear me out. I generally take some brain drugs to eat after lunch on day two.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rationale posted:

I like to camp a lot but schlepping beer around can wear me out. I generally take some brain drugs to eat after lunch on day two.

this is why you take a bottle of the strongest liquor you can find

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You should camp completely sober at all times to enjoy nature fully

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Unless you're car camping because the nature is borderline okay at best, and as such is great for drinking around a fire

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

You should enjoy nature fully sober to appreciate drinking completely at all times.

FTFY

This is now about drinking in the forest.

I enjoy a fine bottle of porter once reaching the top of any peak.

Another past time is a six pack of Rainier, drink it before, less weight, drink it during, great time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't usually bring booze hiking but for camping? gently caress yeah.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's fun except for having to piss all night.
Protip: keep one bottle to piss in in case it rains

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BlueBlazer posted:

FTFY

This is now about drinking in the forest.

I enjoy a fine bottle of porter once reaching the top of any peak.

Another past time is a six pack of Rainier, drink it before, less weight, drink it during, great time.

Yeah, friends and I definitely bring a few beers when summiting larger mountains/14ers. A half a beer is usually enough to be feeling pretty good at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I like mushrooms.

• Locked thread