Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power botton
Nov 2, 2011

fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm

at about 7200 bogomips a second

wow! I'm very impressed by the folks at apple who babysit intel and make sure they deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

but can it close this thread? i sure hope so

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Condiv posted:

but can it close this thread? i sure hope so

no the inter net does that if it wouldn't be a blow to humanity to do so

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Nice, does it come turbocharged?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

riscy business

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

*woz slides into frame dressed only in tighty whities*

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i helped make a floating point processor this past semester, as part of a group

kind of proud of it, imho :)

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
But can it HCF?

Space-Pope posted:

i helped make a floating point processor this past semester, as part of a group

kind of proud of it, imho :)

dude this sounds boss and I Would Like To Know More.
I need to get a real FPU for my Mac IIci
Get my vintage 3D gaming on

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

maniacdevnull posted:

riscy business

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
not much more to say. it was done over a couple of FPGA boards. did 32-bit addition/subtraction and multiplication, with the multiplier on the second board

input/output was with a PC via a serial terminal. the boards themselves communicated with each other, and was supposed to be RS-232, even if it really was just 4 wires connecting the boards

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

wish yours only did nop

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Space-Pope posted:

not much more to say. it was done over a couple of FPGA boards. did 32-bit addition/subtraction and multiplication, with the multiplier on the second board

input/output was with a PC via a serial terminal. the boards themselves communicated with each other, and was supposed to be RS-232, even if it really was just 4 wires connecting the boards

People used to do this with transistor circuits piled up to build logic gates. FPGAs are magic and I love them. Xilinx?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love dat story about the fpga and the evolutionary thing that made something work but only due to manufacturing defects and something and not just actual circuitry

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

love dat story about the fpga and the evolutionary thing that made something work but only due to manufacturing defects and something and not just actual circuitry

I don't know this story!!

Also RS232 is 3 wires (2 if you only need to send data one way). RS232 is easily the most robust serial interface standard, unless you want to talk about it's high voltage siblings.

I'd post a cool picture of the amazing LIM crate setup at SLAC end station A, but iPhoto is horrible and is stupid.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Stereotype posted:

People used to do this with transistor circuits piled up to build logic gates. FPGAs are magic and I love them. Xilinx?
yeah, xilinx. man, it gets awfully tempting sometimes to get back to just using collections of gates

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Xilinx is a literal pile of poo poo however it is weird magic poo poo that is the most powerful thing in the world.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Stereotype posted:

http://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.

genetic algorithms are cool as hell

evolving to take advantage of a very specific hardware enivironment? very very cool

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
this is what my cpu can do :

HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fpgas are loving awful

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Also RS232 is 3 wires (2 if you only need to send data one way). RS232 is easily the most robust serial interface standard, unless you want to talk about it's high voltage siblings.

I'd post a cool picture of the amazing LIM crate setup at SLAC end station A, but iPhoto is horrible and is stupid.

strongly disagreed anything clocked is more robust

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
i had a 25 MHz 68030
i put in a 68LC040 card

first disabled
could you say
the 68030
got ..... CUCKED?

.................. i'll show myself out sorry

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

General Tofu posted:

i had a 25 MHz 68030
i put in a 68LC040 card

first disabled
could you say
the 68030
got ..... CUCKED?

.................. i'll show myself out sorry

this doesn't even make a goddamn bit of sense get out

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this is very cool but also useless because you need to evolve each fpga separately, i guess you could re-try the same experiment and make sure it works using fpgas with all the best and worst case scenarios for your transistor specs and then you'd end up with something that is actually useful and manufacturable, which would be cool.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
fpgas thread and .bin op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kwinkles posted:

this is very cool but also useless because you need to evolve each fpga separately, i guess you could re-try the same experiment and make sure it works using fpgas with all the best and worst case scenarios for your transistor specs and then you'd end up with something that is actually useful and manufacturable, which would be cool.

its fuckin cool on its own though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pardot posted:

wish yours only did nop

only joke worth posting, HCF $THREAD

• Locked thread