Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Base Camp Blanket posted:

You cannot renew an item that another patron has placed on hold.

I didn't know that, but it's a good policy for the reason you describe. My respect for this library system continues to grow!

It's standard policy at every library I've worked at. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

You cannot renew an item that another patron has placed on hold.

I didn't know that, but it's a good policy for the reason you describe. My respect for this library system continues to grow!

In my (academic) library you can't renew a recalled item but you do have ten days to return it; also, there's a five-day grace period after the due date where you won't actually be charged for an overdue item (recalled or not). There have been a few complaints but I've grown to realize we're pretty lenient.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The SF Public Library has a someone employed full-time to help homeless people.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Fedelm posted:

In my (academic) library you can't renew a recalled item but you do have ten days to return it; also, there's a five-day grace period after the due date where you won't actually be charged for an overdue item (recalled or not). There have been a few complaints but I've grown to realize we're pretty lenient.

On more than one occasion I've held books for months past the due date, only to luckily return them during "no late fees" month.

Another time I actually ran into my local library aide on OKCupid, and she waived my fines out of the goodness of her heart. No date, though.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I work for a library in a small town and we go out of our way to waive every late fee just so we don't have to make a bank deposit of like 25¢. Also because we're lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

I moved to Chicago last year, and the library system here is so loving dope.

There's about 60 locations, and you can place a hold on any item in circulation to be picked up at any location you want. When you check out a book, you get it for 3 weeks, and then--are you sitting down--you can renew it online FIFTEEN TIMES. And you can have FIFTY books out at once. So, literally you could have 50 books delivered to your closest branch, and then keep them for 11 months.

It is totally insane. I love it.
I lived in Chicago for awhile and the library system is the thing that I miss the most.

Have you gone to the Harold Washington Library downtown? It has a small, but awesome "Popular Library" on the first floor which has a large selection of recently published books. It feels like you're browsing a bookstore, but you can take any of the books home. I used to borrow so many books.

Also a huge fan of browsing shelves around a topic of interest, and being able to find multiple copies of a book there. I found so many great books there.

When I think of moving back to Chicago, Harold Washington library would be one of my top reasons.

• Locked thread