Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Freak: 0 Danger: -1 Savior: 3 Superior: 0 Mundane: 1

Talos isn't nearly as wounded by that as I'd hoped he'd be, he's openly taunting me, and Aurora's losing control. Can't help but feel this could be going better. No matter what though, I have to succeed here - 'cuz If I don't, innocent people are going to get hurt. If I can't protect civilians from a maniac that's after me, what kind of hero am I?

Mom always said that Talos loves to talk, that he'll try to get in my head while we're fighting, make me mess up. She said I should just power on through, do my best to block out what he's saying. And maybe that makes sense to her, the whole 'not dignifying his crap with a response' tactic. But it's not really me, you know? And with all these people scrambling for cover, Aurora panicking... I gotta keep his attention. So let's try throwing some trashtalk back at him.

Glancing over at the spectacular light show Aurora's putting on for just a moment, I smile at her despite the devastation she's causing, then look back towards Talos with a far smugger expression on my face. "She's not my subordinate, she's my friend." Smirking even more, pouring on the disdain but ready to move at a moment's notice if he tries to attack me again, I point towards the villain. "Guessing you can't tell the difference since you've never had one, right? Or a girlfriend, which explains your obsession with mom and me."

(Rauri-phone) Provoke Talos
(Rauri-phone) !r 2d6
(Krysmbot) Rauri-phone, 7 = 7

Well, from the angry look he's wearing now, guessing I succeeded on the whole 'get him to keep paying attention to me' thing. Now just gotta figure out a way to hurt him slash not get killed before help arrives...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Labels: Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1
Conditions: Afraid | Angry | Guilty | Insecure | Hopeless
Potential: 1/5 | Burn: 1 | Location: Second St. Diner

For a moment Aurora is just about ready to panic completely. Talos is standing maybe 10 feet away, the whole place is utter chaos thanks to people fleeing from the scene. Fleeing from her, really. He's going on and on about something she couldn't care less about right now, but it's dumb and insulting and he doesn't even realize that this is all his fault. Sure, she's the one losing control right now but it's all just because of this huge rear end endangering everybody in the first place. And for the dumbest reasons. And now there's panic and cameras and she has to do something. She can't put the lid back on and she doesn't think she can hold on long enough until all the innocent bystanders have fled, but most of all she's getting increasingly angry at Talos. It's easy to blame somebody else, it makes it much easier to handle things when you're not the one at fault. Aurora raises her fists towards Talos and in a desperate attempt to stop wrecking the diner completely, opens her fists to channel the energy coursing through her out through her palms in a massive beam of light aimed at Talos.

Using Reality Storm to Directly Engage Talos
<SuddenC> !roll 2d6
<Krysmbot> SuddenC, 2 = 2
Well poo poo.

Except it's so hard to keep steady and she hasn't done this nearly often enough to be any good at aiming. The beam slams into the ground and carves through it towards Talos. It's so blatantly obvious, Talos barely has to move to avoid the beam of light that instead goes right past him, shredding chairs and tables as it angles up, threatening to carve through the already damaged wall and the street beyond where the news van is parking.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Labels: Freak: -1 Danger: 0 Savior: 1 Superior: 0 Mundane: 3
Potential: 0/5
Conditions:

Those bastards it would be so simple to "accidentally" cause them to trip maybe they could "accidentally" break a few bones and "accidentally" learn a few lessons about choosing their targets more carefully. It'd be so easy. But what would that prove? I mean don't get me wrong it would be satisfying to dump either of these jerks face first into the popcorn machine but should I really start a fight over---

Then my phone began to buzz.

I reach in and pull it out of one of my pockets and give it a quick scan. Fight at a Diner with some guy named Talos. Huh, Talos where had I heard that name before. Still not that it matters. I'd be a pretty lousy person if I failed to help my friends when they needed me. Confrontation with the two idiots forgotten I decided to run off towards the action. I mean I could get a cab there but it's only a dozen blocks and these days that's a short refreshing jog. Should be there momentarily.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Freak +1 Danger +2 Savior -1 Superior +1 Mundane +0
Location: Astride a Mighty Steed Perchance To Spy A Maiden Fair | Potential: 0 | Conditions:
Love: Svarthilde Rival:Astraea

"Yeah, you better run," I yell back at the perverts. Then my phone goes off.

Oh poo poo. Is that, like, the signal? We've never actually gotten that before. Wow.

When Svarthilde offers a ride, I start to tell her that I'm pretty sure that I can outrun any horse -- speed is kind of my thing -- but then my brain and libido gang up on me and shut my mouth before I can say anything that stupid. "Yes," I say flatly. "Yes, I want to ride the badass flying horse."

Getting on the horse turns out to be tricky -- I don't think animals like me much -- but then I'm riding bitch behind Svarthilde (fair is fair), and we're up in the sky, and we're in the sky, and... holy gently caress. This is like living the cover of a heavy metal album! And I can see the entire city spread out before us. I've never been this high, before.

I pound my chest. Inside my ribcage, my engine starts to rev, louder and louder, until it starts to carry over the beating of valkyrie-horse wings. I flex my arms, and feel protective metal plating starting to slide over my joints.I put on my motorcycle helmet.

"Hey Svarthilde?! Have you ever heard of an orbital strike?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak +3, Danger +1, Savior 0 Superior 0, Mundane -1

The beeping on the phone is welcome distraction. Talos. The immortal warlord that seems to have a beef with Astraea. ... Hey, he's immortal right? Nobody will mind if I let out my frustration on him...

Is this the end of a scene for the purpose of clearing afraid?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 12, 2016

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
The Battle Downtown

Aurora's light sheers the building in half raggedly down the middle, (thankfully) civilians scatter out of the way moments before it comes down in their path, though with the crumbling wall she can see outside that her uncontrolled burst of energy has carried out outside and shredded the road - and the news van from the approaching reporters, which has been been - remarkably unharmed. Likely due to the what appears to be wall of green light that her energy dashed up on like a wave before it receded.

That was likely due to the muscular man in the green getup - though with the grey cloak and hood he was wearing she was only mostly sure it was the Emergent she encountered once - Viridian - rather than entirely sure of it. "I don't know what your aim is here, girl." He says gruffly. "But it stops, now." As she rounds a corner, Mongoose sees the cloaked man take a step towards the distressing Aurora, who was clearly trying to defend herself somehow. Clearly, whatever she intends to do, she had best do it now.

Above this, Svarthilde and Diesel can see Talos react to something Astraea said - with anger. His response is a rabid snarl and a lunge forward - as his armor reconfigures itself, seeming to grow spike-like appendages that reach for the demigoddess with a rather alarming speed. If they were planning an "orbital bombardment", now would be a good time to assist Astraea.

Lurker approaches all this with trepidation from another angle - all the death defying flights and bursts of energy - she's just a bug girl, what can she do? Still, at least she's here, maybe she can be of some help?

Okay, since we're all here finally, let's give you your Team Points:

You get 1 from session start, 2 from fighting foes as a team, however, I am going to give you -1 for being off-balance.

In addition, you can all decide the following:

● If everyone has the same purpose in the fight, add another team.
● If any team member mistrusts the leader or the team, remove a team.

The leader of the team can mark a condition to avoid removing a team from the pool.

Anyone working with the team can spend it one for one to help a teammate; give them +1 to their roll.

Team members can also spend team to act selfishly. When you act selfishly, say how your actions ignore or insult your teammates, remove 1 team from the pool, and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice. You can use this option after rolling to alter the Label you’re rolling with.

In addition, a few other bits of book keeping.

Same scene technically, so Lurker is still Afraid, I'm afraid. At the end of the scene she can definitely clear it, though!

Astraea, you take a hit from Talos. However, you do gain an Influence on him from your provocation, so there's that.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Svarthilde Odinsdottor
Freak: +1 Danger: -1 Savior: 0 Superior: 3 Mundane: 0
Location: Orbital Insertion point T-3 | Potential: 0 | Conditions:

"Nay, but if it involves the smashing of the orbs with great force and having Hrugnin breathe fire across them while the foe is doubled over in pain I've done that many a time!" Svarthilde shouted over her shoulder over the rising din, surveying the battlefield with a practiced eye and liking what she found. They'd made it right on time. She spurred her horse and grinned as the massive beast plummeted towards the armored foe as he extended himself in an attack on Astrea.

"But let's just drop down on him from above and hit him until he can't walk!"

Gonna directly engage Talos with Superior since I'm driving my ship. The weapons it fires are biting and kicking :quagmire: Not all the way sure if I need to declare I'm acting selfishly beforehand or not so I won't bother this time.

Blaze on down out of the sky (Superior +3) to smash this dude with my flaming horse exactly when he's least expecting it: 2d6+3 7

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Freak: 0 Danger: -1 Savior: 3 Superior: 0 Mundane: 1
Location: Rubble that was the Second St. Diner at one point | Potential: 0 | Conditions:

There's a lot going on and I think the team is here, but I don't have time to focus on much other than what Talos is up to. Specifically him lunging towards me with a terrible look on his face, and oh also attacking me with a bunch of a spikes all of a sudden! I'm leaping back, just in time to watch the spikes impale where I'd been standing a split second before, but then they keep coming towards me! They're extremely fast, too - almost as fast as I am.

(Rauri-phone) Never Give Up, Never Surrender
(Rauri-phone) !r 2d6+3
(Krysmbot) Rauri-phone, 10+3 = 13
(Rauri-phone) Yusss
On a hit, you stand strong and choose one - You keep your attacker's attention.

Darting out of reach of them, I notice with a glance through the roof (oh Zeus, we've really wrecked this place) that Svarthilde and Diesel are flying towards us on her flying magical horse. Gotta admit, it takes a lot of willpower to not just stare at them, since it's incredibly cool. That'd get me impaled by these dumb spikes of his though, so instead I dart to the side and evade them, shooting Talos a smug look as I do.

"You're gonna have to do better than that, Talos." I cheerfully inform him. Just need him to keep focusing on me, and not my teammates about to attack from above on a flying horse. Awesome.

TEAM: 2
● If everyone has the same purpose in the fight, add another team - Think this applies, everyone wants to stop Talos.
● If any team member mistrusts the leader or the team, remove a team - If anyone on the team mistrusts Astraea, this applies as well.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 12, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Freak +1 Danger +3 Savior -1 Superior +1 Mundane -1
Love: Svarthilde Rival:Astraea

"I like the way you think!" I shout over the sound of roaring wind. And I do; I loving love it.

But as cool as it is to ride on the back of a flying, flaming horse, I can't really go all out when I'm hanging onto Svarthilde. Turns out, I'm not really a good rider. I'm just not a horse person. Horsepower, yes; horses, no. So i do the dumbest, coolest thing possible in this situation; I let go.

And now I'm falling. Good thing I wore my helmet. And my Tanker boots. I angle myself downward; it seems to make me fall faster. Physics, yo.

Jumping off of a flying horse in midair is, like, the definition of "charging into a fight without hedging his bets" so Diesel activates Punch Everyone to raise Danger by one and lower Mudnane by one. Then he'll Directly Engage Talos: 2d6+3 13: Picking "Impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition" and "Create an opportunity for your allies."

By the time I hit Talos, I'm almost completely revved up and my internal speedometer clocks me at 200 mph. There's no finesse or skill to the kick; I just land on him like a ton of steel. It doesn't not hurt - I wish I'd known he had spikes -- but it probably looks cool as all hell.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Labels: Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1
Conditions: Afraid | Angry | Guilty | Insecure | Hopeless
Potential: 1/5 | Burn: 1 | Location: Second St. Diner's gutted remains

Aurora blinks at the miraculous turn of events that saves the news crew. A tiny, horrible part of her scared that they'll keep filming now but no, obliterating them would have been so much worse. Unfortunately though, at least one person seems to ahve gotten the idea that she was actually aiming at them and she looks at the man with an incredulous look. She should be thankful, because it's obviously him who covered for her gently caress-up but to assume she'd done it on purpose. When there's obviously a huge, armored and armed lunatic beating on her friend... "What do you think we're doing!" she yells at him. And then Svarthilde and Diesel drop from the sky, giving her some much needed breathing room to try and get her power and her frustration under control. There are so many eyes on them, she can't afford to slip up like this again and she tries to just calm down a little and get a better idea of what's going on.

Assess the Situation 2d6: 10
Gonna go with "What here is the biggest threat?" to see if Viridian(?) is here to cause poo poo and "How could we best end this quickly?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak +3, Danger +1, Savior 0 Superior 0, Mundane -1

Well, that was... certainly a light show. Granted light shows usually don't blow up an entire building but... still. And of course there's a loving news crew, completely incapable of comprehending the danger to their own lives. ... 'I sure wish this wasn't as common as it seems to be...' Lurker thinks to herself. Also there's the fact that she's freaking terrified of Talos right now, despite her earlier intention of letting her anger out on him... Up close he's just so... imposing.

A solid wall of swarming insects blocks off the news reporters from the battle (also covering their lenses with insect bodies so they can't actually film anything), and most importantly keeps Talos unable to see them. Lurker steps through it, the insects part to make way for her.

"Please leave. This is too dangerous for you to remain this close. Don't worry, we are here to protect you." she tells them. It would probably have more of an impact if she wasn't shaking from fear, but... maybe it works?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Labels: Freak: -1 Danger: 0 Savior: 1 Superior: 0 Mundane: 3
Potential: 0/5
Conditions:

Holy crap. It looks like I'm running into a warzone. A part of me thinks this is insane that I must be mad to run towards danger and not away from it. But that's a cowards way of thinking. I have these powers for a reason and it would a sin not to use them to help people. I'm supposed to be a hero maybe it's time to start acting like one. I turned the corner to see Aurora yelling at some guy. "Hey Aurora need a hand with this idiot?" I say as I saunter in. She looks like she's in trouble and this guy seems to have had something to do with it. "Hey rear end in a top hat, leave my friend alone. she's not doing anyone any harm." I don't want to start another fight.... Wait what the hell was that? Holy crap Diesel knows how to make an entrance. It's all I can do not to gawp. But I have other fish to fry while he deals with Spiky McSpikerson. "Yeah I'm talking to you we're only here to stop this getting worse. Now whose side are you on." Because if it's not ours I'm going to take him down before he can hurt Aurora.

[21:17] Ferrosol asessing the situation
[21:17] Ferrosol !r 2d6
[21:17] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 4 = 4
[21:17] Ferrosol rip
Marking Potential at least

• Locked thread