Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I found this grizzly eating grass on a recent Jasper hike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
bear at the side of the road

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Looks tiny, sure it wasn't just an overconfident cat?

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i'm too scare to go closer and find out

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's a very bear-shaped cat if it's a kitty. Perspective is weird, especially on a wide-angle lens held upright like that - presumably that's a pic from your phone?

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
it is a pic from my phone. i rarely remember to bring my good camera when i'm out and about for some reason

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
some black bears are pretty small, I've seen ones that size in the Shenendoah's

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
the bear was actueally pretty big but i was a distance away from it and the perspective is weird as when it comes to taking photos im gay at it

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Saw a coyote yesterday. I was driving and he was hauling rear end down the middle of the street so I pulled up next to him and tsk tsked him to the side. Cute fella that could probably rip out my throat!

Axxslinger
Jun 9, 2004
somethingawful account
Some colleagues and I have been studying coyotes and other critters in NYC for 5-ish years now using trail cams.

We have thousands of animal pics, a few of the good ones available at the link below. Will be adding more soon I hope, as soon as we find the time

http://www.gothamcoyote.com/photo--video.html

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Axxslinger posted:

Some colleagues and I have been studying coyotes and other critters in NYC for 5-ish years now using trail cams.

We have thousands of animal pics, a few of the good ones available at the link below. Will be adding more soon I hope, as soon as we find the time

This is seriously awesome.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
caught some buffalo on/near the road when i was out on a firewood run yesterday. fairly common sight along some of the roads where i live but i think they're cool and stop to look everytime.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

drat, I'm jealous. They're extirpated from where I am, and even just today a friend and I were talking about how sad that makes us because they're cool as hell.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Axxslinger posted:

This is awesome :love:

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

drat, I'm jealous. They're extirpated from where I am, and even just today a friend and I were talking about how sad that makes us because they're cool as hell.

yeah, they're cool to see. their population is threatened in the north, cause unfortunately they like to hang out on spots near the alaska highway or bc hwy 77/NWT hwy 7 and they get hit by trucks and tourists w/RVs in the summer :negative:

nael
Sep 10, 2009
When I was probably fifteen or so, I went to Seabase with the boy scouts. If you aren't familiar, Seabase is a scout owned property like Philmont, But instead of New Mexico desert, it's a couple of islands in the Florida Keys.

The island we were staying on was full of key deer. Key deer are identical to white tailed deer, but about half the size. I don't know if it's the whole species, or just the ones on this particular island, but they had absolutely no fear of humans. They were basically dogs with hooves. They would let you pet them, but the guides would yell at you if they caught you, because they were endangered or something.

During the orientation, the guides told us a story about a key deer's radio collar going off in the middle of the ocean. The researcher assigned was confused as hell, until they realized that a group of scouts had cornered the deer and removed its collar and were carrying it around on their boat as a trophy.

Anyway, I guess this is all a a preamble to the time I choked out an endangered species.

The leaders and the rest of the kids had all gone off somewhere after dinner, and it was my turn to do the dishes. We were using the old three tier method, bleach sanitize tub, soap scrub tub, water rinse tub. As I'm doing the dishes, a key deer comes out of the woods on the opposite side of the table the tubs are on. I say "hi" to him like he's my dog or something, and then the little bastard pops his front hooves right on the table and starts lapping up the bleach water. I'm freaking out. I start yelling at him to gently caress off, but he just keeps drinking the bleach. I try to push him by the head, but i can't get a good grip. So i go for the neck. I feel bad about it. Did you know deer have an adam's apple? or at least something that feels like one. I grab him by the throat and push him into the woods. He falls over on his side, gives me a confused look as he stands up, and goes right back to licking up the bleach water. So, I finished the dishes one handed as I pushed him back, over and over again with the other. I tried to outrun him to the sump where we dumped our wastewater, but even half size, he was still a deer. After i dumped the water, he ran up and started licking the pipe and the grating. I hope the same adaptation that helps them survive of brackish water helps them survive bleach water.

I think he wanter=d the bleach water so bad because it was the first scrubbing station, and had the most food particles in it. Those things will eat anything. When we caught a lobster and our guide ripped the tail off to cook, a key deer walked up the beach and stuck its snout up the thorax and started chowing down.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

nael posted:

When I was probably fifteen or so, I went to Seabase with the boy scouts. If you aren't familiar, Seabase is a scout owned property like Philmont, But instead of New Mexico desert, it's a couple of islands in the Florida Keys.

The island we were staying on was full of key deer. Key deer are identical to white tailed deer, but about half the size. I don't know if it's the whole species, or just the ones on this particular island, but they had absolutely no fear of humans. They were basically dogs with hooves. They would let you pet them, but the guides would yell at you if they caught you, because they were endangered or something.

During the orientation, the guides told us a story about a key deer's radio collar going off in the middle of the ocean. The researcher assigned was confused as hell, until they realized that a group of scouts had cornered the deer and removed its collar and were carrying it around on their boat as a trophy.

Anyway, I guess this is all a a preamble to the time I choked out an endangered species.

The leaders and the rest of the kids had all gone off somewhere after dinner, and it was my turn to do the dishes. We were using the old three tier method, bleach sanitize tub, soap scrub tub, water rinse tub. As I'm doing the dishes, a key deer comes out of the woods on the opposite side of the table the tubs are on. I say "hi" to him like he's my dog or something, and then the little bastard pops his front hooves right on the table and starts lapping up the bleach water. I'm freaking out. I start yelling at him to gently caress off, but he just keeps drinking the bleach. I try to push him by the head, but i can't get a good grip. So i go for the neck. I feel bad about it. Did you know deer have an adam's apple? or at least something that feels like one. I grab him by the throat and push him into the woods. He falls over on his side, gives me a confused look as he stands up, and goes right back to licking up the bleach water. So, I finished the dishes one handed as I pushed him back, over and over again with the other. I tried to outrun him to the sump where we dumped our wastewater, but even half size, he was still a deer. After i dumped the water, he ran up and started licking the pipe and the grating. I hope the same adaptation that helps them survive of brackish water helps them survive bleach water.

I think he wanter=d the bleach water so bad because it was the first scrubbing station, and had the most food particles in it. Those things will eat anything. When we caught a lobster and our guide ripped the tail off to cook, a key deer walked up the beach and stuck its snout up the thorax and started chowing down.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

nael posted:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

b0ner of doom posted:

caught some buffalo on/near the road when i was out on a firewood run yesterday. fairly common sight along some of the roads where i live but i think they're cool and stop to look everytime.

i forget all the distinctions but are those trees what we call quaking aspen here, i think you call them true poplars if they're yellowish? also nice giant rear end buffalo

i saw a somewhat large male kingfisher today looking down at a creek for some minnows or whatever, beautiful bird, no picture sadly

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

extra stout posted:

i forget all the distinctions but are those trees what we call quaking aspen here, i think you call them true poplars if they're yellowish? also nice giant rear end buffalo

i saw a somewhat large male kingfisher today looking down at a creek for some minnows or whatever, beautiful bird, no picture sadly

yeah those trees are also called trembling/quaking aspen here too, the leaves are yellow cuz its fall

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Never heard of a false poplar, it just describes a family of trees that include aspen, birch, and cottonwood.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Saw this handsome fellow about a month ago just outside Denver. Can only imagine how badass that rack looks now.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was working in rural eastern Manitoba last week. I'm a post-doc studying wetland restoration, and we have a site in a peatbog/fen complex that we're trying out some ideas on (most of our ideas have gone out the window because 2016 was an extremely wet year and our carefully civil-earthworked, berm-separated treatment field sections are all part of one big shallow lake. The swans are happy, though).

Anyway, when we started on Monday one of the equipment operators, I'll call him Brad, came over to see what we were doing and told us the tracks we'd seen in the mud were from a pack of 6 or 7 wolves; he'd seen them the week before and other employees at the site had also observed some interesting behaviour. Things like a pup (half the size of the adults, probably born early this year) making submissive postures before climbing up on a pile of peat with an adult.

On Thursday we were nearing the end of the work we had to do and my assistant had it covered so I went for a walk. I got nicely close to some wrens and talked back to a couple of noisy Blue Jays and saw the last of the season's hover flies. I though I was having a pretty good day but Brad came over around lunch time and asked if I'd seen the wolves.

The pack - 2 adults, 4 pups - had walked RIGHT across the main site, between where we were working and where we parked. They must have been clearly visible for a good five minutes, in the open on a clear, sunny day. I had my camera in hand, with a 300mm telephoto mounted. We didn't see them. :sigh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

In my program at school, we have to do a wilderness survival night out in the mountains where we go out in February and build a lean-to with branches and stay there for 12 hours with no food. Most people stay awake tending a small fire, but sometimes they manage to fall asleep.

Two years ago, one of the students found cougar tracks circling in the snow around their lean-to. No one who was awake saw it, but it's a cougar, so that's no surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axxslinger
Jun 9, 2004
somethingawful account

Picnic Princess posted:

This is seriously awesome.

Thanks, it is a great study to be a part of bc things are changing so quickly. They (coyotes) are starting to cross over to and breed on long island which is the last place in the continental US where they have not yet been found.

This sequence is from a cam we set up at a den site in the bronx this past spring, haven't put it on the site yet

http://m.imgur.com/Kpodlbs

• Locked thread