Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Everybody Ignores Art Week

Well hot drat. In-game, less than three weeks have passed since the end of Act 2 (not counting the one year timeskip, obviously). Last time I played, it took three years to activate this event. This is, of course, the beginning of a series of scenes culminating in the start of Act 3. But Ethelberd is dead! The Sechs Empire probably won’t try to conquer Norad anymore! There’s nobody left to fight! What else can the plot possibly throw at us? GEE, I WONDER WHAT COULD BE LEFT UNFINISHED.

Yep.

Any way to open it?

I dunno.

Ah.

I just got told I wasn't qualified .

You weren't qualified?

They said mine wasn't the right kind, so I couldn't open it.

...I can't even picture it.

Ummm...

This is getting us nowhere. Let's go talk to Arthur.

Okay. Let's ask him.

They didn’t even acknowledge me. How rude!

This starts a chain of these scenes around town, and nobody wants to talk to Art about what the hell they’re talking about.

Even if we somehow manage to open the door... There's still the question of bringing her back.

"Exactly. How to give her a solid body again..."

If she doesn't have a body, wouldn't she simply end up like you?

"I'm not certain. If she could, it seems like she would have stayed in our world in the first place."

Perhaps, unlike you, she had no regrets?

"..."

Not remaining in our world means she had nothing left to tie her here, correct?

"...That is possible."

Pico is, as far as we can tell, human. There’s never been any evidence in this series that monsters can become ghosts (as opposed to ghost monsters), and that’s not even allowing for the weird life-cycle of native dragons.

"But we still can't know for certain. She's in a very different position from us normal mortals. I expect you wish to talk so that we can discover for sure just how different, correct?"

...Yes.

"Well, in that regard we've already asked Leon about what he can remember. We should focus on searching for any other possible ways."

...This is more difficult than I thought.

Nobody ever said necromancy would be easy.

Most of these scenes have a one day delay between them, so I took this moment to secure a date with Forte, and got some amusing dialogue.

Huh?

Art?! I-I didn't know you were here!

What's wrong, Lady Forte? You're turning red...

Uh, this is... Oh, if you get any closer...!

See, your forehead's hot too. Are you all right?

...Yes.

All hail Art, prince of not loving getting it.

And then Art invited his girlfriend, whom he believes to be ill, to go to the observatory with him tomorrow.

Hmm?

N-nothing! Never mind! Tomorrow, huh...? I can hardly wait.

Hmm?

AHEM! I, er, I said I'll see you tomorrow.

Oh. Right. See you tomorrow.

But before the big date, other things had to happen tomorrow!

Now they’re dragging poor Barrett into this, and still not telling Art what’s going on.

Yes. Can you make one?

...It'd be difficult.

] I'll pay whatever price you ask.

With all of your many monies from your high paying job Mr. Unemployed Priest Who Freeloads At The Hotel?

I don't need any money.

I'll acquire all the materials you might need, as well.

It's not that, either.

So what is it, then?

It's, well... To be honest, it was an utter fluke I managed to make one the first time.

I give you Barret, the guy who managed to accidentally make a powerful magical artifact that lets you summon people from other dimensions.

A fluke?

Yes. So it's not the materials or the money. I just don't remember how to make it.

Don't give me that look. I was desperate to do anything at the time. But anyway, I can't do anything for you.

It’s been a while since I played RF2, and I played it less than the other games, but I don’t seem to recall you doing a God-damned thing Barret. You actively tried to prevent Kyle’s kid from saving him (actually, he tried to prevent the kid from loving around with unknown and untested magic, BUT THE PRINCIPLE!). Point is, I have no idea where this homing ring that he flashed around back in Act 1 came from.

I'm sorry.

No, it's my fault for asking the impossible. My apologies.

Why do you need one, anyway? I'm sure Art can already use a homing spell. Earthmates tend to have that ability.

Barret in RF2: Omni-Gate? That’s dangerous, you might teleport yourself into another dimension by accident.
Barret in RF4: Just have your local head trauma patient start throwing Omni-Gate around, no big deal

You mean Omni-Gate?

The text dump calls it Gate Reject, which, while kinda word salady, is kind of a cool name.

Yeah.

I think the power of that spell would be too much to handle at once.

Hmm?

The one we want to bring back has just a bit much in the way of Rune energy.

...? Wait, are you...?

Ah. Now I get it. I guess you can find people willing to do the insane just about anywhere.

Oh?

Yeah.

I agree. It's probably wise not to attempt the Omni-Gate spell. Art tried a spell like it before, I think, and it didn't work. Thinking back on it now, I think that time the Rune energy had just... exploded. We got off lucky that once, but there's no telling whether we'll be that lucky again. It's too dangerous.

I know.

As for other ways...

Actually... The last time we tried the Gate Reject spell, it was you we were bringing back, right? Must be karma at work, I guess.

I don’t think that’s how karma works.

But yeah, Omni-Gate, useful spell. Sure might be a good idea for somebody to consult the Earthmate when trying to summon somebody from the Forest of Beginnings. But no, please, go on ignoring me.

This may have been a little excessive. Once you’re fabulously wealthy from making exotic turnip dishes, the fields are pretty much only useful for niche stuff like sword flowers. And pharmaceutical ingredients. I’m gonna start a cartel!

And then there’s this:

Can you hear me? Everyone misses you, Venti. ...But... I promised. I swore we'd all be okay, even without you. I swore I'd protect this town. So... This is the path you chose. But still...

It doesn’t actually matter which choice you pick, and the monologue ends there regardless.

But that’s enough sad pondering, it’s time for romantic shenanigans!

I think I’ve heard that before.

It's okay. I don't mind. I was so excited, I got here far too early.

Y-you did? Well, then, shall we be going?

So we are.

She appreciates that Art never thought he would feel this way about her? Some might take that as an insult.

Daw.

Or pull her to the ground and have your wicked way with her?

Nah, this is way better. Less rapey too.

I said tap, not caress!

Well, they say the easiest way to stop being embarrassed by something is regular exposure. RESUME CARESS!

And so I did.

I heard nothing, dear lady.

The next day, the plant sword harvest came in.

Sadly, even the best of them weren’t very good.

Oh, right, stuff happening. Back to eavesdropping on people.

Thank you. Um...

Yes?

It's too much.

Oh. This item is of excellent quality, so I thought I'd give you a bit extra. Besides...

That is total bullshit. While Raven’s store is very helpful for loading up on items you would otherwise spend a long time grinding for, they’re always level 1.

...?

You listened to me. That helped take a weight off my shoulders.

Oh.

In exchange, get some more of these excellent quality items for next time too, okay?

...Thank you.

Good morning, Art.

Somebody acknowledged Art!

Good morning.

See you later.

Oh. Well then. I’ll find out what’s going on eventually, I don’t care how many conversations I have to eavesdrop on. Maybe Raven will tell me.

Um...

...What?

...She's a good customer.

Huh?

She buys lots of materials to make accessories.

I craft my accessories with bloodstained junk I take off monsters’ corpses. Dolce buys materials from a store. This is why I always beat her in the Handicraft contest.

Oh, I see.

... Is that all?

Oh, uh, no. Um...

Family.

Really?

Yes. ...I have family not related by blood. But they're not interested in anything but blacksmithing, and I'm not very good at talking.

Gaius, the family member in question, is pretty awesome. Sadly, we can probably take this as confirmation that Raven didn’t marry Micah in RF3 canonically. FOREVER ALONE.

So we don't talk much. Or ask a lot about each other. But... When they need help, I want to help them. I may be butting in where I don't belong, but I still want to help.

What about you?

Hmm?

Do you have people you want to help?

... Yes. But they might not want any help.

...I don't know what they want.

What do you mean?

Even with people you are with all the time, you can't know all there is to know about them. What you do might hurt them. Or make them argue with you. But... Despite everything that happens, if you still want to be with them... Then that's family, I think.

The more important someone is to you... the more often you find yourselves hurting each other. But... You'll still want to trust them. That's not wrong. It could be just self-centered desire on your part... But it's okay to trust them.

Even if you lose someone or something important to you because of it?

If you want to change something, you should be ready to lose something in exchange. After all, "changing" means "losing the present." And... Some things won't ever change if you don't have the courage to step up. ...At least, that's what I was taught by someone I know.

I think she’s talking about Micah here, who busted his rear end trying to change the status quo in RF3. I hear Haifisch has an ongoing LP of it, wait until he covers the details.

Things that won't change unless you have the guts to step up...

Yes. The girl before was thinking on something like that.

Huh?

That's all I can tell you... Good luck.

Raven’s wisdom is vast and deep.

Also, I seem to have successfully wooed Meg. Throwing a glass of pineapple juice at her every day seems to have done the job.

Enough wandering around eavesdropping on little conversations, it’s time to go see what all the damned fuss is about.

The Guardians and Pico are having a clandestine meeting they think they can keep secret from me. They’re having this meeting right outside my bedroom.

What is it?

We are, right now, attempting to resurrect Ventuswill of our own, independent wills, correct? We will go forward with it. Even if it isn't what Ventuswill herself desires.

SHOCK AND AMAZEMENT! I NEVER COULD HAVE PREDICTED… yeah everybody and their pet goat saw this coming.

You’re all filthy necromancers! I’m form an unruly mob and hand out torches and pitchforks!

"Dolly..."

Correct?

Yep!

The best possible answer.

Hmm?

Of course we are.

I was wondering why you looked so grim. Is that all?

I-I'm very serious about this! It's no joke!

We're prepared to face the consequences. We'll going through with it, even if it's not what she wants. After all... I have a mountain of things I wish to say to her. If she doesn't come home, how am I supposed to tell her?

I think Venti's gonna be happy to come back. But if she isn't... Well...
I still think it's only right that she comes back. This is her home.

They keep talking like she just moved away. Do these people not understand the concept of death?

Me? I still can't accept it. I don't have any logical reason behind it or anything. I can't accept things the way they are now, so I'm gonna make it so that I can. That's all.

This is also a pretty good response.

Everyone...

"So what will you do, milady?"

I... You know the answer to that.

"Of course."

Excellent. Let's get down to business. How can we bring Ventuswill home?

All of these responses are appropriate, but I wish there was one to express outrage that they’re doing this behind my back. loving rear end in a top hat necromancers.

Art...

Why are you here?

I have stuff I want to say to Venti, too. Even if it's just a selfish wish on my part... I still want her to come home. Home to this town. To us.

Art...

Venti herself may not have wanted it... But I want to believe. I want to believe she wanted to stay with us. And I'll keep believing that.

So it seems we're going to have to find out for certain, one way or another.

I don't think asking her straight out will get us an answer. She's not like that.

Were you going to conduct a séance oh great and wise horse-man?

But she can be awfully easy to read.

True. What she thinks shows on her face very quickly.

Guys...

"Well, Art? You will help us too, yes?"

This choice hardly seems necessary.

Now then... First, let's organize what all of us know. Dylas. How was the gate to the Forest of Beginnings?

It's close to Leon Karnak, just like Amber said. The question is how to open it.

What do we need?

The determination to open it.

...What?

I heard it's something like the, um...what was it? Proof of being able to change the world. That's what I heard somebody say before I got turned into a Guardian. He found the gate and said it wouldn't open until somebody had the determination.

Being able to change the world… that was part of Ethelberd’s spiel, as I recall.

Interesting.

We were just going to go talk to Arthur to see what he knows. What about you and Barrett?

Apparently, he doesn't even know how he made that Homing Ring in the first place. So right now there's no way, aside from us attempting to make one ourselves, somehow.

Ah.

I'll do what research I can into other ways, but I don't have any leads at the moment. Though I have heard that there is a spell Earthmates might know for getting to the forest.

Huh?

Art, you’ve cast the damned spell once already.

What's that mean?

"It seems there may be a way to resurrect her body by fusing Runes into her new vessel.“

So we need to build her a body! Frankensteinian horror dragon? I certainly slaughtered enough of them on the Floating Empire. Or maybe some form of animated statue? Sechs golem technology?

Though that's only a rumor we heard. It's not certain.

I see.

"But no matter what, we still have to go into the Forest of Beginnings."

So it seems we've reached the end of our leads...

What?

What haven't we tried yet?

Well...

Art?

The Omni-Gate spell.

Let's try the Omni-Gate spell.

No! That would be bad!

She's right! You already tried it once when you went to the tower, and it failed!

I know. But that doesn't mean it won't work this time.

"Art..."

Do you realize what you're saying?

...Yes.

The heck you do! You got lucky you escaped fallout last time.

Never would have expected Dylas to be the one to argue in favor of my safety.

Still...

He's right. We can't let anything happen to you. If we did, we'd never be able to face Venti or the other townsfolk again.

"...Exactly. Please, don't think of trying that ever again."

I'm not giving up. Even if everybody says I'm crazy. Call me selfish if you will... I'm still going to try it! I mean... I want Venti to come home, no matter what. I want to see her again!

Hmph. Looks like there's no stopping you.

Huh?

I guess it's safer for you to try it with us than doing it somewhere in secret.

I feel like this is a direct response to the ending of RF2.

I'm still worried...But if you really wanna do it, I can't stop you.

"Hmph! What are we going to do with you?"

Guys...

Come at me bro.

...Okay.

That... And if you're so dead set on doing this, at least get good and ready first.

I know.

Excellent. Well then, let us know once you have finished preparing.
We'll wait here for you.

Normally one might think that this was your warning to save before a boss fight. Instead, this is your warning to settle in and prepare for MORE CUTSCENE ACTION!

So I decided to put it off. I’ve got poo poo to do.

Like harvesting massive numbers of crystal flowers! Red crystal flowers, combined with any liquid, any powder, and spinach creates a powerful strength-increasing drug! +1 strength for every “The Protein” you choke down! Huh, sounds kinda dangerous. Ah well, they’re not for me anyway.

Forte, I brought you a couple hundred presents!

Hmmm… needs more The Protein. I’ve got more flowers growing.

I’ve also got a lady waiting for me in the square. I’ve got a little theme going now. Dolce is dating regular male Art. Forte is dating female Art. And Margaret is dating…

CRAZY WIZARD EMPEROR ART!

I was really, really happy when you said that to me yesterday. You shocked me, to be honest. I thought my heart might stop. So I've been thinking about it ever since then. Thinking about...

...?

A-are you sure it will work? I mean, I'm an elf, and you're human.

Meg…

I couldn't help but think about it. I...I don't know. You and I, we're... We're too different...

Does Artelberd look like he loving cares about miscegenation?

What...?

What does it matter what race you are, or what race I am? Does it really bother you that much?

Well, um...

Well, humans do cut down trees, and their livers are so nice when served up with fava beans and red wine.

NO! We don't hate you. Elves really like humans. A lot. ...And that scares me.

Meg, why are you so afraid?

I-I'm sorry. I just don't know if this will work.

Oh gee I guess I’ll just give up! Like that was ever going to happen.

...!

If there's anything that worries you, I'll fix it.

Art...

You're frightened of something, right? But you aren't ready to talk about it yet. So I'll wait. And when the time comes, I'll protect you from whatever that scary thing is.

Art...!

But if you still don't want me... well, that's okay too. I'll protect you anyway! Well...? Do you think I can be good enough for you?

...Yes. But I have to wonder if I can be good enough for you.

Romance get!

...Oh! So what should I call you now?

Hmm?

Well, since we are starting a new time in our lives, why don't we give ourselves new nicknames?

These names… aren’t very good. Although it does have the advantage of letting me call her Meg if I hadn’t already gotten the event where she lets you do that.

I think three girls is enough to technically count as a harem. Still going for a complete set.

NEXT TIME: Part 2 of this extra-long update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

OMNI-GATE REJECT!
Alright, now the big event.

"We all do."

I wonder if this is what it was like for her?

What do you mean?

After we all became Guardians... I heard she kept wanting to save us. That's exactly what we're doing now for her, so I wonder if this is how she felt.

You transformed into monsters to prolong her life and she wanted to reverse that. You’re trying to circumvent death itself. It is not the same thing.

I'm sure.

...Yes.

Alright, Artelberd’s here, let’s get this party started. Probably would have been more appropriate to change to regular Art for this one, but OH WELL.

Are you ready?

Yes.

All right, let us begin.

According to the text dump, they wrote text for running into any of the Guardians around town and offering to cast the spell then and there, and being told to return to the castle. Instead, they went with just having them all stand here day and night.

What is it, Amber?

Oh, um... I was just wondering how Venti must've felt.

Hmm?

When she, y'know...erased our memories. I mean, she must have had stuff she wanted to tell us. But she couldn't. She had to hold it in so she could erase our memories.

She did that for us.

I often circumvent the free will of others and remove their memories for their own good!

I know.

We'll just have to apologize. All of us, once she has come home.

"Yes, that sounds best. All right, Art, if you please!"

Right!

Stand back and don't let the magical backlash vaporize your internal liquids!

But... You can complain all you want once we all get home. So please—

Art!?

WELP! Protagonist exploded. Game over, roll credits!

No, I can’t hear anything, I’m loving dead!

No, I’m dead! You people really need to learn what death is.

That’s what I’ve been saying!

…Okay, not dead. Just trapped in a flashback of Ventuswill wiping Amber’s memory.

Amber... It IS you, Amber! You still live! Thank the stars! Oh, how long has it been, Amber? I remember it all so fondly...

Amber...? I want to see you smile again. But... Should you remember me, it would only make you sad. And that might lead you to think about wild plans to "rescue" me again. I won't have that. So I'll seal away your memories. Just your memories of me. So please, smile for me, Amber. Brightly. Innocently. Just like you used to. That will be enough for me.

...Goodbye, Amber. I will not forget you. I will not forget flying with you across the cloudless skies.

And then Dylas.

Hmph. Well aren't YOU sleeping like the proverbial baby? And what an adorable baby face you have, too, for all that you are a grump when you are awake. Are you certain you couldn't do something about that? ...Not that you are the sort who would listen.

gently caress you too Venti.

You insist on going about and doing me favors without telling me. You have no idea, do you? You cannot know what it feels like to be the one left behind. You could never understand how heavy that guilt can be... I never knew myself. I had no idea it could be this hard to be left behind without a single word...

...Goodbye, Dylas. You who call my name. I remember your brusque voice. How could I forget it?

Dolly was next of course. This was the one Art managed to catch the tail-end of.

Of course. But there's one thing I must do. Dolce.

But I have been asked to watch over you only, nothing more. Besides... It seems I'm closing in on the last of my strength. So...I'm afraid I... I must say goodbye, Dolce. Be happy. That is all your parents ever wanted of you. Even should the rest of the world forget, I will always remember. So please. ...Please, Dolce. Be happy.

Leon was last, of course, and he didn’t get memory wiped. Interesting to get to see Venti prepare to rescue Art back at the end of Act 1.

...I see. Now, there are many things I wish to tell you, but they will have to wait.

You're off to the rescue?

Of course.

Hah. You are, as always, an amusing god.

Being the priest of a religion based around Venti would probably be fun.

Silence, you. I am simply fed up, nothing more.

Oh?

Yes.

I'm sick of everyone leaving me behind to go off on their selfish missions to save me.

...Then hear one thing before you fly off.

What?

The Earthmate who saved me told me to tell you this...

...!

That Earthmate was rather entertaining. Calling Ventuswill herself, one of the Four Native Dragons, a personal "friend." Ha ha!

That fool...!

So is that "fool" the one you chose for your current Priest?

Hmph! I abolished that irksome position centuries ago.

Sorry Leon, you’re unemployed!

Ah ha ha.

Even had I not, who would choose someone so selfish and headstrong as their Priest?

Then what is this person to you if not your Priest?

I would say... much like you, I suppose.

It’s amusing whenever somebody surprises Leon enough that he opens his eyes all the way. With the trolling and the fox motif he’s pretty clearly fashioned after the mythical Japanese kitsune. Much more respectable than Sir Horse-man.

Like all of you who became my Guardians. You are all simply my friends.

Venti...

My thanks, Leon. It's only by the efforts of you and the other Guardians that I am alive today. Not only that...

And now a flashback to the end of Act 2. Was this bit necessary?

Don't leave us.

Please, Venti. Don't go away.

It is time we parted.

Venti! Wait! Don't go!

Goodbye, Art.

VENTI!!!

I was truly happy, meeting you.

Please...!

I was able to be fond of mortals again.

Venti!

If...if we were to meet again... somewhere...sometime... Then I...

I want to go back...to spend the day in idle conversation and simple fun...

VENTI!!

Thank you, Art. My last friend...

END FLASHBACK

Art, are you all right?

Ngh...

"Whew! You're awake."

...Don't make us worry like that anymore.

What's wrong?

I had a...dream.

A dream?

About Venti.

It was when she had to erase all of your memories... And when she was disappearing, herself...

...!

So you got to see Venti's dreams?

...Yeah.

What did she say?

Huh?

Did you see anything? Did you learn anything about her at all?!

Calm down, Dylas.

I know, I know! But...!

She said...

"Hmm?"

She said that she didn't want to go. That she didn't want...

Art...

Why are you crying?

Wha? Wait...Huh? Still... Venti asked me to take care of this town for her. She said she wanted to see me smile as she left... Those were her last words...

Yeah.

...Thank goodness... Venti didn't want to leave. She...she did want to stay here, to keep living with everyone... It wasn't just me. It...it wasn't just me...!

No poo poo Sherlock! “Dying person doesn’t want to die. In other news, sky blue, water wet, Sechs Empire builds more tanks.”

Also, I just think it’s important to note here that everybody has a separate portrait to show them tearing up, I’m not sure if those get used elsewhere.

...Hmph. How stupid can you be?

Even I... I...

"Dolly..."

I think we all felt the same.

Yes.

We really can't quit, now. So I say let's pour it on. We're gonna bring her back to us if we have to rip open that dumb gate with our bare hands.

New plan! We get the whole town together you all go out to the rune spots again, start praying, dump that power into me, and I cast some kind of boosted Omni-Gate that’ll either work or blow up the town!

I agree.

See, Leon likes my plan!

And now Arthur’s here!

Arthur?

Hmm? What is all this?

We’re plotting necromancy, don’t mind us.

It's nothing much. It'll be fine if we just leave them a little space.

So what is it, Arthur?

Dylas, do you have a cold?

Huh?

It sounded like you have a bit of a stuffy nose...

...! I-it's nothing! Just a case of the sniffles!

Then it is a cold. That is not "nothing," I would think.

Ha ha!

Hmm? You as well, Leon? Your eyes look a touch red.

I half wonder if Arthur knows what we’re up to and is just loving with them.

...You're seeing things.

Heh heh...

Oh yes. Anyway, I had something I wanted to discuss with Dylas.

What's up?

I've found something that just may be able to open that gate!

Really?!

Yes.

What is it?!

Ah. Given that reaction, Leon, you are involved in this as I suspected.

That doesn't matter right now. Tell us what it is!

I shall do you one better. I've brought it along with me.

Here it is.

A Rune Sphere ?

I seem to recall a certain useless prince telling me he was going to have those things taken to the capital and secured. Now I find out he’s had one in his pocket or something all this time.

All things in this world hold the power of Runes. And the Forest of Beginnings is where those Runes all eventually return. Not even a Native Dragon can defy that.

Yet Lady Ventuswill held out against it, delaying her return for centuries. She managed only with the power you gave to her.

...!

That power is then, in essence, the power to disrupt the natural order.
It is the power...to change the world. And if anything were to hold power of a level that you four held as Guardians...

Kiel?

Is the whole drat town gonna show up?

Geez, Arthur! Why'd you have to go run off without me?

My apologies. I guess I was too excited to contain myself...

Kiel, what are you doing here?

I'm helping Arthur, of course! ...Well sorta, anyway.

What?

See, we don't want to give up on Lady Ventuswill, either.

Kiel...

Anyway, this may be able to open that gate. What do you want to do?

Please, I think we all know I’m the one in charge here.

Art...

What, recovered already?

Making fun of them would be mean… but funny.

H-hey! You were listening the whole time, weren't you!

Urk...So you heard that.

Heh heh... Well then, I think it wise that Art takes the Rune Sphere .

Are you sure?

I’m sure. I feel like Art’s the only one who can be trusted with phenomenal cosmic power around here. And Art is currently Ethelberd, so that’s saying something.

Yes. In fact, I insist you do.

Huh?

What do you mean?

Um, this is all just a theory, mind you... But I think that whole "proof" of world-changing ability is tied up with being an Earthmate . I mean, Earthmates invented the spell to make people into Guardians, right? And the Rune Sphere itself can make people able to use Earthmate magic. So I think an Earthmate's power is gonna be needed if we want to open that gate.

Ah, what he said. Will you do this for us?

If we’ve learned anything from Dogwood Fleet, it’s that troll answers are best answers.

He looks so sad at the idea.

I was just kidding...

Ugh.

Ah. Well, let's consider it a good sign you're relaxed enough to be making jokes.

Once I was but a student, but now I am the master.

Yes, let's. Well then, if you please.

I’ll get right on that! Eventually!

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 18, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I wonder which Arts you'll use for the other girls?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I don't remember where I found out about it, but love potions are great for raising everyone's FP/LP really fast. It doesn't work on Raven and, I think, Barett.

As for the sword flowers, did you level the seeds to 10? Also try Giant ones and then try watering giant ones for a week or 2. I discovered that dungeon flowers actually have 3 growth stages (normal, giant, and giant+1 week), so I wonder if sword and shield flowers work the same way.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

I don't remember where I found out about it, but love potions are great for raising everyone's FP/LP really fast. It doesn't work on Raven and, I think, Barett.

As for the sword flowers, did you level the seeds to 10? Also try Giant ones and then try watering giant ones for a week or 2. I discovered that dungeon flowers actually have 3 growth stages (normal, giant, and giant+1 week), so I wonder if sword and shield flowers work the same way.

Love potions are the ideal method for raising FP, once you can mass-manufacture them. I just don't have the recipe yet, and trying to brute-force it is drat near impossible.

Leveling sword flower seeds (and shield flower seeds) is actually actively harmful. The resulting weapon will be level 10, sure, but it will be upgraded with nine randomly selected items, most of which will be utter crap. And unfortunately, you can't make giant ones. The only way to get better plant swords and shields is to just keep trying. I recently learned that, prior to my earlier belief, they can actually randomly have the stats of any weapon, not just short swords. I'm not sure if it's locked to weapons you're able to forge or to plot progression or something else.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

Leveling sword flower seeds (and shield flower seeds) is actually actively harmful. The resulting weapon will be level 10, sure, but it will be upgraded with nine randomly selected items, most of which will be utter crap. And unfortunately, you can't make giant ones. The only way to get better plant swords and shields is to just keep trying. I recently learned that, prior to my earlier belief, they can actually randomly have the stats of any weapon, not just short swords. I'm not sure if it's locked to weapons you're able to forge or to plot progression or something else.

I checked GameFAQs a few hours ago and was about to edit my post. Oh well.

It looks like the results are determined at harvest, so you can soft-reset till you get what you want, which at 64 flowers should not take long.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 18, 2017

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Artificer posted:

I wonder which Arts you'll use for the other girls?

The Correct Choices: Amber gets Kiel, Xiao Pai gets whichever traveler model her dad uses, and Clorica gets herself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Everyone gets Volkanon. Everyone.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That would also be acceptable, yes.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
And here I'd assumed Venti did her memory wipe stuff mostly from a distance while people were still unconscious in the clinic. Think she teleported them around? I can't imagine she had anyone bring them and they still seem to be knocked out while she's talking.
Also assumed that the animal-ish forms were due to the change into boss monsters and that not fully reversing, but I guess if Amber used to go flying with Venti, that's not the case.

Ignores Art week update

Truthkeeper posted:

] I'll pay whatever price you ask.

I think I’ve heard that before.

That's all I can tell you... Good luck.

I’m form an unruly mob and hand out torches and pitchforks!

We'll going through with it,

Omni gate update

Truthkeeper posted:

Hmph! I abolished that irksome position centuries ago.

Venti! Wait! Don't go!

Got an extra bracket on that first one, seem to be missing a picture with dialogue from Forte on the second, some typos, and three wrong person talking images.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Isn't it kind of unfair to the young wind dragon who's been born somewhere to take up the mantle of wind to bring Old Grandma Venti back again to occupy the seat?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I mean, this whole thing is everyone refusing to accept death just because they can. The natural cycle of things isn't really high on their priority list. :v:

And considering how many Guardians Venti's gone through, there should have been a bunch of replacement wind dragons between Leon's time and now.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Sometimes you just gotta reorder the natural order.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

On the one hand, the implication is that the new native dragon won't be born until sometime after Venti's death.

On the other hand, Grimoire has appeared and gotten his rear end kicked in every game, it's very possible that the natural order of things has been trying to provide a new Wind Dragon, but since baby native dragons are all destructive assholes, Earthmates and sheepmen keep slaughtering them.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

On the one hand, the implication is that the new native dragon won't be born until sometime after Venti's death.

On the other hand, Grimoire has appeared and gotten his rear end kicked in every game, it's very possible that the natural order of things has been trying to provide a new Wind Dragon, but since baby native dragons are all destructive assholes, Earthmates and sheepmen keep slaughtering them.

Going back to Sharence maze, there's apparently a whole race of native dragon clones and they're all assholes. Powerful assholes but assholes none-the-less.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Porcoline's Cantina

Everybody in town actually cares about my efforts to bring back Ventuswill and makes an effort to help by giving me a magical potion (restores 50% HP). They’re vastly inferior to the ones I can make myself, but I’ll take them in the spirit they were given.

She’s lying about having one for herself. As usual, I’m responsible for providing healing and buffs for my party members.

It suddenly occurs to me I’ve never tried giving food to allies for buffs. I assume it would probably work though.

And of course Forte wants to come with me, along with the Guardians and every other person in town.

The big obvious door at the bottom of Leon Karnak. The first time I came here, it was the entrance to the Karnak/Forest amalgamation thing. It’s still the way in now.

Yeah, what she said. Conveniently, been here, done this already.

Yes it will.

I totally could have just used the teleporters to get to the end, but I wanted to punch Grimoire in the face again.

This is the dungeon immediately before the final dungeon. It is, obviously, harder than Floating Empire and easier than what comes after. I can beat this place with one arm tied behind Art’s back. Remember this in a little while.

So I slaughtered my way back to the top of the tower, and the giant fox head thing on top. You might recall I came here back at the end of Act 1, fought a couple statues and a sarcophagus.

We established the last time I came through here that I can come here any time I wanted, but only now that Act 3 has started can I tell them I want to open the door.

Time to fight them again. Appropriately scaled up for what my current power level should be.

Not scaled up high enough for my actual punching power.

And now they’re on the list of bosses I can kill once per day to farm for items and prince points. The rock shards they drop are some of the best upgrade items for defense and magic defense, respectively. Not the best, but definitely worth gathering up.

Here we go again. Not sure why I have to come down here and fight a more powerful version of Leon’s Guardian form.

I’m not actually sure if this part is required. I just assumed at the time that it was. The text after this fight indicates that it is, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Leon! Gonna punch you in the face!

Dolce and Forte didn’t have anything to say here, I wonder if Leon would have.

Punched him in the face.

Like I said, the indication is that this fight was required, but I don’t know for certain.

Door’s open now!

Rune Prana. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Seriously though, this place starts tough and ramps up fast, being a seven level dungeon spanning a vast range of enemy difficulties. If you somehow made it this far without getting familiar with the crafting system, this is where you get kicked in the balls.

I’m built almost entirely around offense, so I’m perfectly fine as long as I don’t get hit. What little defense I have is mostly physical, so those wizards are especially dangerous for me. The wizards and dragons are the majority of the enemies on this level.

Annoyingly, there’s a greater variety of elemental gates in Rune Prana, and most of them absorb their own element, making me carry a spare elemental weapon (I threw some quick earth fists together) for punching light gates to death. As far as I can tell, love elemental gates spawn here more often than anywhere else where they can appear (and there only seem to be a couple other places). If I can get a love crystal from one, that’s a bit of life drain on hit for me. If.

Besides the wizards and dragons, the only other enemy on this level is the giant onion ghost Onionger. They spawn one at a time only in this room. They exist for the purpose of being farmed for cloth.

This room is designed to piss you off if you haven’t worked on your magic skills at all. I’m not sure, but I don’t think weapons with increased range can attack through the blocks here.

This is what I farm Oniongers for, so I can make new and better armor. Most equipment upgrades from here involve get to new RP level, kill something for an item there, make new upgrade, repeat.

At this point, my rune points tapped out and my supplies depleted, I ducked out.

I can’t remember who it was that suggested I grab a high level boss monster, but I finally took their advice. I have to admit, this is pretty badass. I named him Grimoa, and he’s my new favorite mount. Still too drat big to use all the time though, I like being able to see what I’m fighting.

Allowing for the six letter limit, I named him Grimoa.

Still, being able to double-KO both statue bosses in a few seconds is pretty great.

Also, it’s Valentine’s day. One of them at least, the one where girls give cookies to guys. I’m only able to pick one of my many girlfriends to have a special meeting with to receive a cookie, and I went with Meg.

I guess so.

Um, could you hang on a minute, please?

Okay.

Deep breaths...deep breaths! Calm...I am caaalm... ...Okay.

Not sure why this is so much harder for her now.

So what is it you wanted to give me?

Oh, th-that? Um... ... Here!

A cookie?

Yes! Please accept it! Y-you don't have to, y'know, tell me what you think of it or anything, though. I, um, I-I just wanted to give it to you!

Oh yes, because I’m about to tell you at great length how I hate cookies. Because I’m evil, you see. Evil be thou my good and brussels sprouts be thou my cookies.

Calm down.

B-bye!!

Meg! Thank you! Take care, now!

...! You're welcome!

Om nom nom.

Who would be horrible enough to say it was bad?

Yeah, Ethelberd totally would.

This is the first time anybody has explained what I’m actually doing. Ventuswill’s soul exists in the forest as a large rune, and my goal is to use the power of the Rune Sphere to reembody her.

How the gently caress do I do that?

Capturing monsters is easier, I went out and got a Terraclone. Named him Unicor. Six letters is a hard limit to work with, it’s one reason why I abandoned theme naming.

Yeah, yeah, better knock this out while I still have a chance.

Having the whole map explored (at least all four seasonal areas and their respective fishing spots) makes the Fish Variety contest easier.

I also pumped Forte up so full of Protein she’s technically stronger than me now. Once I can make Intelligencer Dolce’s gonna end up with a head like MODOK.

Eventually I’ll also pump myself up with Protein. I can skip Intelligencer because of an accessory that lets you base melee and magic off of your highest stat.

I was a little late for my date with Meg. And forgot to switch back to Crazy Wizard Emperor Art, so Meg is gonna have to settle for Soda Can Tab Nipples Art.

The date to the blacksmith shop is one of my favorites, it’s odd that I went this long without showing it.

Is it really safe to let random untrained people use a forge? I mean, Art’s the greatest master of forging since Micah and Aaron, but I don’t think Bado checked my credentials.

Also, is this really the best date activity?

They made a lovely accessory! Which in no way requires use of the forge!

Poke fight! Somebody get the Jello!

You get to keep the (random) accessory created from the blacksmith date, but it’s never really very good. Maybe more useful earlier on.

This scene oddly popped up after seeing her home and talking to her again when she turned around and ran back out to get back to her schedule.

Is there a reason why it would hurt?

I noticed in the past that Art will identify plants you look at in the flower shop. I never noticed that he does a very bad job of it, and Amber corrects him if she’s manning the shop.

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me princess.

Another Crafting competition came and went, I managed to not enter this time. And then I ran into Volkanon one day.

What is it?

It's my own special homemade medicine. I created it in the hope that it would cure your amnesia. Please, try it!

Volkanon, are you a doctor? Are you trained in any way, shape, or form to make a medicine that cures brain damage?

B-b-b-but, it's making a strange noise!

It's as they say, the best medicine tastes the most bitter. And crackles the loudest... Now! Go on!!
Go on, now!!!

...I-I'm afraid that's all the time we have today. Goodbye!

Your Majesty!

I think the butler just tried to murder me. And he didn’t even have the good grace to invite six people I was blackmailing.

Notice how nobody cares that Art eavesdrops on every conversation he can find?

What, you were napping there again? Clorica, you need to sleep in your own bed, y'know.

Ah ha ha! I know, I know. But the beds are just so comfy... But anyway, I was napping there when I noticed Nancy nearby doing the same thing.

Wow. It's not often that you can catch Nancy sleeping on the job.

I heard she had been very busy and got just a little tired. So, while she was napping, Jones came by... ...and then came over just so he could give her a kiss on the forehead!

Oh, how sweet! Now that you mentioned it, not that long ago, I was playing the piano at the restaurant.
I saw Nancy and Jones stop by together for dinner. There, Nancy decided to have some dessert. When Porcoline brought it out, she was so happy she laughed like a little girl. But then she took a big spoonful and held it up to Jones. Then...she said... "Say 'aaah'!"

*SQUEE* ♪ How romantic!

I know! I'm almost jealous, looking at how happy they are together. It's so nice that they're such a happy couple.

Am I supposed to feel a little inadequate about my inability to properly romance vidya game waifus? Jones apparently has far more game than I do.

And then the other Valentine’s Day came around, time for me to hand out cookies again.

It’s for Pico.

"Huh?"

What?

Uhmmm...

"O-oh my. I-I'm not sure what I should say."

That's my line.

"W-wait! But shouldn't this---"

*SIGH* Say thank you, Pico.

"Um...th-thank you."

Now say how you feel. Be honest.

"I-I'm glad. Really glad that you gave this to me."

And finish up with a confession of your undying love.

"T-to be honest, I've always l-lo... --WAIT A MINUTE! Where did that come from? What are you trying to make me say?!"

I think I’ve shown this one before, but it amuses me enough that I don’t mind repeating it. If I wasn’t dating Dolce I would kind of want to set her up with Leon, they’d work well together trolling the hell out of everybody.

Also, does this count as cheating on my girlfriend with her creepy stalker/sister?

Also, can Pico even eat cookies?

Yeah, this is going to be our ongoing event for a while.

It seems they always stay at our inn during their anniversary.

What, they just go to your place for their wedding anniversary?

And what is that supposed to mean?

[ Oh, sorry! I didn't mean anything by that. Really.

So why do they stay over? They have a reason, right?

Yes. It seems Jones does it so that Nancy will not have to worry about housework for a day. And Nancy does it so that Jones has an excuse to take a day off of work, yes? So each says they do it for the other.

As somebody who regularly needs Jones to be on the clock, I don’t think I approve of him taking time off.

How wonderful! It's almost as if they can read each other's minds.

Isn't it so sweet?

Yes. It seems so.

Celebrating your anniversary by going to the hotel down the street? I’m too much of a gentleman to make inferences about what they’re up to. Fart joke, poop joke, dick joke. I’m classy as gently caress.

Ah, there you are.

Oh, hello, Forte. Do you need something?

Yes. I have something to ask you about the castle's equipment.

Oh, well in that case...

Ah! Forte, what do you think?

Huh?

As a girl, it's natural to want to be cherished and adored by the one you love, right?

Erm, well...I...

Then would you like it better if he was the domineering type?

Wh-wha? O-of course not...!

Right. Loving, caring couples are so much better, aren't they?

It seems so! I would like to be a couple in that way some day, yes?

Nearly every other girl in town is. With me.

I didn’t have to enter this harvest festival, but I had a perfectly good red crystal flower from my Protein mass production project.

Crops that take longer to grow get extra points, even if you drug your field to the point that they grow in a few days.

I’m the only person in town with access to farmland. Why I’m even allowed to enter this contest is beyond me.

My reward is an actively harmful accessory I’m more used to seeing come from the blacksmith date.

Well, that was a whole lot of aimless wandering around and doing whatever. Next time: more aimless wandering and whatever! But with more Rune Prana, and a foray into the Sharance Maze!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

My reward is an actively harmful accessory I’m more used to seeing come from the blacksmith date.
But it's unshipped! Volkanon is helping. :downs:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I have a lot to say about Sharance Maze (that I probably haven't said already). With the amount of in-game time I spend there, I practically live there.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

I have a lot to say about Sharance Maze (that I probably haven't said already). With the amount of in-game time I spend there, I practically live there.

Tell me about it. Once I can survive it, I usually end up spending more time there than anywhere else farming those damned Breads + and dragon scales.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh god, Bread+. Fuuuuck farming for bread+.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Between the food that drops everywhere and the items that cure fatigue/colds, you can spend in-game days on end in Sharance. If you've got a Rosary equipped you can skip most of the floor content, you'll encounter a mini boss on odd numbered levels and a boss on even levels until you get to whatever dragon is at the bottom of that part of the dungeon.

Crazy poo poo drops constantly without the Rosary though, right now I have the ultimate hammer and three Four Dragons' Vest, the best armor in the game. I'll be able to make them better myself once I get the crafting recipes, but current crafting shenanigans are giving me a 90% critical hit rate, so I"m happy enough.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

Tell me about it. Once I can survive it, I usually end up spending more time there than anywhere else farming those damned Breads + and dragon scales.

You shouldn't be farming dragon scales unless you need high level ones. You can buy them from Raven if you've shipped them.

I posted some stuff last night in the sticky thread over on the gameFAQs board for miscellaneous tips and tricks. You don't need much but here's some tips and recommendations:

- Make a piece of armor with 1 each of the 4 Giant Crystal flowers and a 10-fold steel. They don't have to be worn right now, but keep them around when you recognize an attack of that element for free healing. Element fairy bosses practically become Zelda fairies.
- Get fast shoes such as Fairy Boots that inherit a Ghost Boots and a Rocket Wing (or just make or find a Rocket Wing if you can't make the others yet). Speed is just as important as damage.
- If you have access to a legendary scale, consider upgrading a weapon with it and a 10-fold steal for even more drain attack.
- If you use magic, check any dishes you find that restore at least 800 RP and save a few.
- Don't wear a Rosary unless you want to do a long boss-rush. If you beat said boss rush, it still counts as beating the maze towards unlocking the next maze.
- "If you can't beat em, make em join you!" Try and recruit a powerful monster or 2 from the maze. I recommend passing all "decrease level" orders (which actually increase the level of monster) and grab the highest level monster you can (using junk and brushing 15 times), and then passing all the "increase level" orders to bring it back down. It's scary and risky and you will probably die a lot, but once you have a monster who's 10x or 100x your level or more, it will be well worth it. It can take about a hour at most if you're looking for something specific. Again, I recommend Blue fairy, but the wizard enemies, demons, and normal fairies can all cast heal spells. I have not tried the other normal enemies.
- Love potions are probably the best medicine you will find in the maze. Save them for any status ailments you might get. I think they also restore a lot of RP and HP.
- Keep the escape spell handy. The maze is like the Ancient Cave in Lufia but you can escape at any time. You will want to do this when you find any good equipment or spells, but also when you know you will die if you stay.
- The last room with the gate is never marked on you map. Explore as much as you want, but keep this in mind.
- Anything on the ground disappears as soon as you leave the room.
- You partners will attack any mimic chests on site. They will also accidentally destroy chests in chest rooms when a mimic is in the room. Get fast shoes and run to all chests in a room before your partners destroy them.
- Do not heal your partners. if they cannot cut it in the maze, they need to toughen up. Seriously, healing resources when you first start running the maze are gonna be limited until you are comfortable.
- Speaking of chests, if the path splits, changing direction has a better chance of leading to a chest room than continuing straight.
- Any and all weapons and armor can spawn in Silver chests at any level, including stuff you cannot make yet. Only spells and skills you have already found can appear in silver chests. Farm equipment does not seem to spawn.
- Any dishes found outside of chests are level 1 and therefore are safe to eat. Any dishes found in chests can be of any level and can have extra ingredients which may status or even kill you, so check the descriptions carefully.
- Don't eat Lamp Squid Sashimi. It inflicts Seal status and is commonly found on the ground.
- Prioritize what you pick up. Keep anything un-shipped, any high-level material drops, anything worth over 10,000G, any rare material drops (Dragon scales and boss drops especially), Love potions, and finally dishes that can restore a lot of HP and/or RP. Ditch stuff in the last category if you need more room.
- Slimes resist physical damage but not other elements.
- Upgrade your weapon with a shade stone. This will reduce enemy resistances by a tier such that enemies that get healed by your attack become immune, immune enemies become just resistant, and resistant enemies take full damage.
- Bring some kind of elemental weapon to deal with ???? enemies and Void gates. Spells will work too.
- Odd floors (1, 3, 5, 7, etc..) have a random boss from a list of rare normal monsters. Some of them are recruit-able. Even floors (2,4, 6, 8, etc..) have boss monsters as bosses.
- The dungeon is random and so is the loot. You can use the escape spell to farm treasure rooms. I would recommend doing so in order to get some top tier weapons. I found a Fenrir Fist on the first floor of the first maze on normal.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess if a cursed pendant is a random treasure and the event awards random treasure, it's possible.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I dunno Leon, I’d call being loving dead a big change.

She bothers you sometimes, doesn't she?

Please, Venti’s my favorite character.

Are you sure? I thought she never changed, but it seems
she's grown up a bit...

I don’t have the recipe yet to render crystal flowers down into stat boosting potions (except red crystal flowers into The Protein), but I’m stocking up anyway. Regular crystal flowers require other ingredients, but I could skip those other ingredients by just using giant crystal flowers. I’ll grow a variety of each.

Speaking of turning harmless plants into possibly addictive drugs (it’s like I’m really playing Big Pharma)…

This is a terrible idea. Notice the 50% cut to max HP. But also notice the big ol’ boost to crit.

I am very underleveled for this. The guy who suggested that I tame high level pets to do my fighting in the Maze really had the right idea. But I’m a stubborn bastard. A stubborn bastard who died in one hit after finally getting him down to the point where he turned red.

And then I had a conversation with Meg, and missed screenshotting the first bit of it.

What are you doing?

Oh, I was just reading a letter from my sister. She taught me a spell to "cheer on the one you love"... But it might not work, the way it is now. I know...how about I modify it?

Oh no. Oh please Ventuswill no. Even in a game that she isn’t in, Daria reaches out to annoy me with her loving RAINBOWS!

Or, you know, she would if I actually let Meg adventure with me. Shame, it’s a really good healing spell.

Winter is upon us, and I was finally able to get a white crystal seed. Still annoyed I forgot about these last year.

The cool thing about Sharance Maze is that it pulls from the game’s full bestiary, even endgame monsters you haven’t met yet. I should have tamed an all powerful dragon servant here instead of suplexing it to death.

This Orc would be harmless, except it’s one of I believe only two monsters capable of inflicting instant death. This is worth training faint resistance for.

This went just like last time. It’s all well and good until I slip up trying to dodge an attack.

I woke up to find the clinic full of people, because of that weird ongoing event where all the girls are obsessed with Jones and Nancy.

After all, it's rare to see a couple as smitten with each other as they are.

Very true.

Not much later, he and I came across each other by accident in the capital. I knew then it had to be destiny. So I followed him all the way out here, to this town. But it was hard to get him to do more than glance my way every now and again. So I decided I had to go in for the attack! ♪

Odd phrasing choice there.

Oh, wow. What do you mean by, "go in for the attack"?

They say the road to a man's heart runs through his stomach. So I made lots of meals for him. I wasn't really good at cooking back then, though. But I kept at it and kept at it, and eventually I got better.

Is it important to cook for him even now that you're married?

Definitely! Even now, I make sure to set aside one day a month to cook his favorite, Fried Rice! He's so happy every time! ♪

Erm...H-have you thought about children?

Children? Well... Yes, I think I'd like to have them someday. After all, Jones' children are guaranteed to be adorable! ♪ ... But right now, I'm more than happy with the way we are. Just being able to hold hands with him is enough for me.

It’s nice that they’re such a happy couple, but this is rather sappy.

But the fans seem to like it.

Excuse me. Pardon me. Can I get through please? I need to give someone first aid.

Jones! ♪

Nancy. I heard a scream. How is the patient?

Oh, it's okay, dear. Everyone is fine. Everyone asked me to tell them a little about us. So I was just telling a few old stories. I didn't expect so many people to come, though.

Ah, so that's what it was.

I'm sorry to worry you, dear.

No, it's all right. I'm just glad no one was hurt.

It worries me that he considers all this perfectly normal.

Excuse me!

Yes?

Ah, Jones...? Could you, um, tell us the secret to your close relationship with Nancy?

Oh? Well, let's see. I haven't given it much thought, to be honest. But I can say that I have never once forgotten the warmth of Nancy's hand in mine.

Was that all unconsciously...?

And of course every girl in the room ate it up. And I’m dating half of them. Except… huh, Dolce was sensible enough not to get involved in that mess. Let’s see what she’s up to.

"Hey, look. Isn't this dress super-pretty?"

"Ummm... I need an adult?"

Insert your choice of DBZ Abridged “I am an adult” quote here. I prefer Guru’s “I AM AN ADULLLLT!”

Hey. Perv. Back away from the ghost.

Wha?!

I can wear something just like that, if you want.

Or, if I had picked the other option.

...Wait. What the hell am I saying?!

"Whatever it is, it's making your heart flutter, milady!"

I feel like there’s a missing line there. My screenshots and the text dump agree that’s how it goes though. Lost in translation, I guess.

I took my powerful dragon pets, one being a baby god dragon and the other being a clone of a god dragon. They were defeated by the Greater Daemon. Awkward religious metaphor, or idiot with underleveled pets? YOU DECIDE!

She says it’s because of the skin and seeds (I can’t remember the last time I saw grapes with seeds, but I live in an age of modern convenience) but she complains if you give her grape-based cooked foods. I can’t win with this girl.

Grimoire does kick large amounts of rear end in Rune Prana. It’s not my preference to take monsters dungeoning, especially big ones, but I wanted to try him out because I haven’t used him much in the past. And this beats the hell out of trying to clear this room full of wizards by myself.

Which brings us to the first boss of Rune Prana, Bane Dragon. Who is a giant chameleon, and not any kind of dragon. He’s a returning boss from RF2, with some genuinely interesting mechanics. Besides a decent melee charge attack, he breathes spheres of lightning that chase you around the room, or spheres of paralyzing gas at short range. He also has an annoying tendency to fade into invisibility, rendering him, obviously, invisible, but also unable to be hit until he becomes visible again.

My reward for beating him is an Electro Crystal (+60 attack, +150 magic attack, -5 magic defense, + 35% paralyze attack). It’s alright for upgrading, a major component for several crafted items , given thateach level of Rune Prana, although small, has its own tier of weapons armor. A lot of which can be skipped you never really have to stop an expedition in RP to run back and make new weapons, although I don’t recommend going more than two levels or so without doing so.

Annoyingly, items from Rune Prana don’t become purchasable from Raven until I finish the dungeon, and thereby Act 3. I believe the unique items from Sharance Maze aren’t buyable until then either.

Going past Bane Dragon’s room…

Oh drat it all Art’s on drugs again.

Well, I solve most problems by punching them in the face…

Honestly, these little messages between RP levels are a nice touch, answering some of the questions I raised earlier, but we’ll talk about that later.

Rune Prana 2 doesn’t have many enemies, but it does have giant ducks. Because.

It also has the annoying invincible plants that try to eat me when I walk over them.

But the big annoying thing here are the elemental traps. It’s kind of like the fire bars from the castle levels in Super Mario Brothers, but in a variety of elements, and as big as an entire room. This one is a chain of wind blades. I’m invincible while riding a monster, and Grimoire absorbs wind. Forte will have to face tank it.

Two of them! This would be really bad, except, you know, dragon.

This one that shoots water bolts would be dangerous, but the timing isn’t so bad as to make it difficult to get through.

And that’s the end of level 2, which means another boss fight. And it’s Octopirate, another repeat from RF2 (spoilers, every boss except the final boss is a repeat from RF2 or 3). And as this is actually his second appearance in this game (he was also a possible boss in the field dungeon), this is Octopirate 2.

Octopirate 2 is much easier than Bane Dragon. Only his little face is vulnerable, the big shell is impenetrable. It swings its little tentacles around (but not its spear), spits balls of ink, and throws spikes, but it’s really quite harmless.

It rewarded me with its special crafting upgrade drop, Ammonite, and a Vital Gummi to increase my defense.

Another boss defeated, another trippy speech in the trippy forest.

Really? Venti didn’t really seem like the wandering type. In that she told me she could never leave Selphia. Except for the numerous times she left Selphia.

I blame Raguna and his drat farm. The titular rune factory is any farm tended by an Earthmate (this does nothing to explain the farm in RF3), but RF1 was the main time when farms producing runes was an important thing.

There we go, welding together the weird disparate stuff that’s appeared so far in this game into a single cohesive narrative.

And that explains the weird disembodied voice. Art is getting messages from one or more possibly dead Earthmates explaining what’s going on.

A strange temple, a strange beach, now a strange snowy forest. Rune Prana is all kinds of patchworky.

Rune Prana 3 is easy. How easy is it?

No puzzle, no required fights. Just walk north two screens and fight a boss (then come back and farm the enemies in side passages for hours. Stupid turnip miracle).

Another returning challenger from RF2, Crystal Mammoth! He makes up for how easy Octopirate was by being a bitch and a half!

I like my timing on this death shot. Got it right as I was blacking out.

Crystal Mammoth is a big icy mammoth. His melee attack is brutal, he throws giant boulders of ice around, but his most dangerous attack is a powerful counter. Sometimes his spikes will turn yellow. If you hit him in that state, he’ll summon a giant sheet of ice spikes around him. They will one-shot you unless you’re stupidly overleveled, or have a lot of water resistance. And I haven’t been stupidly overleveled in a long time.

As an aside, this is one of the easier levels to try and hunt love elemental gates on. Love gates can drop love crystals, adding life drain to attacks. But they’re silly rare.

I got knocked out again while farming turnip ghosts for their miracles. Turnip miracles (a bag of magic dust with a silly name) are a useful crafting item, desperately needed right now.

Having gotten wiped out again, I once again wandered up to the inn to sooth my wounds in the bath.

I think it's time I came up with something.

What?

Some grand, wonderful something to be the famous centerpiece to our inn's fabulous services.

I see. Some sort of service that only we could provide would be good, yes?

Something only we can provide... Your odd speech, maybe?

Lin Fa, you are a terrible person for constantly reminding your daughter of her odd speech impediment.

Does lack of syntax due to exposure to too many languages count as an impediment?

No.

Why not? I think it's so cute!

If you want cute things, I think it best you do them, yes?

Oh? But why?

Mama, sometimes you can be so very dense.

...?

Xiao Pai is being blunt about it, but the fact that Lin Fa doesn’t notice how many men are attracted to her is… a little dense.

Does anybody else get a creepy incestuous vibe off these two, or is it just me?

NEXT TIME: Busting makes me feel good again, Lin Fa/Xiao Pai wackiness, stylish jewelry, and I’mma gonna punch that mammoth in the face.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
The final date!

I’m at the inn because I want to talk to Leon and that’s where he lives.

It’s pretty early, so he’s still in his jammies.

Huh?! Well...umm…

Tomorrow, then?

Hmm…

May I suggest your room?

Sure.

Excellent. Then that’s where we’ll go.

Come to Selphia: Town Square at 10 hundred hours tomorrow.

Don’t be late.

I won’t.

Until tomorrow, then.

The next day:

What?!

What should we do now?

Erm, er…

In that case…

…!

Gotcha.

What?!

Were you expecting something different? You can say it.

Um, I just…

You’re so cute, Princess Frey.

...Argh, Sir Leon!

Hahaha!

(N-now’s my chance…)

(Now might be my best opportunity to strengthen our relationship.

H-hey…! What the ?!

I just felt like hugging you.

...Honestly…

I hear your heart beating, Sir Leon.

Ugh…

...It’s beating pretty fast. You must be nervous having a girl cling to you like this.
...Quit your yammering.

The date ends abruptly here, to the point where I didn’t know whether the following was part of the date or not.

*STARE*

...Stop staring at me, you moron.

And the alternate version:

What are you talking about? Are you out of your mind?!

Oh, wow, you ARE blushing!

...Shut up.

As Venti is alive and well...

Next time: the proposal that I have been dreading. It's long.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Ah, Leon, truly yours is the greatest of romantic dialogue. "Stop staring at me you moron" indeed.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Ah, Leon, truly yours is the greatest of romantic dialogue. "Stop staring at me you moron" indeed.

For someone who trolls people all the time, he is amazingly easily flustered.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dogwood Fleet posted:

For someone who trolls people all the time, he is amazingly easily flustered.
It's a defense mechanism, obviously. :v:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It's a defense mechanism, obviously. :v:

Yeah, I've hurt his feelings a few times by accident.

Speaking of hurt feelings, this is the first part of the proposal event! It's going to take a few posts, but if you want to see the whole thing, there's a youtube video of the entire thing somewhere. It's like an hour long.

Proposal part 1:

: Oh, Frey!
: Have you seen Leon?
Sir Leon?
I’ve been looking all over for him.
I’ve been wanting him to read this…
That paper? What is it?
Forte and I found it outside of town the other day.
: But it’s written in an old language, so I can’t read it.
I see…
Hmm? There’s something written on the back of the paper…
Oh, yeah.
This side’s written in modern text.
So one side’s all ancient, and the other’s pretty new.
It’s kind of exciting, don’t you think?

I wonder how they made something like this…
I-if you hold it too tightly, it’ll get all crumpled up!
No worries. This one’s just a copy.
: Arthur has the original paper. But this one’s an exact replica :swoon:
O-oh…
I wonder what secrets it may hold…
Ahh, I can’t wait to read it!
I figure Leon might be able to read this lettering...
But where did he go?

Oh, really?
: All right! I’ll take you up on that kind offer, then.
: Actually, it’s perfect, because I wanted to bake Forte a cake today anyway. :swoon:
All right.
Can you also hand him this paper, too?
Is this…?
I think it has something to do with the first paper.
See? This one also has different characters written on it.
Though I haven’t shown it to Arthur yet.
Why not? Shouldn’t you?
: Well, because I want to know the connection a.s.a.p.! :swoon:
O-okay…
So I’m counting on you. Get it to Leon as fast as you can, okay?

Leon is nowhere to be found so I run around asking villagers until I run into….

No, I haven’t seen him today.
I think Arthur was looking for him too, though.
Really? Thank you.
Um, Frey?
Yes?
I’ve been meaning to ask, but what is it you find so attractive about that --
*AHEM* --I-I mean, him? What do you like about him?
Well…

...I see.
Maybe I’m still not ready for a relationship…
Huh?
Oh, nothing.

You get to repeat the last line of questioning once you’ve gotten through the dialogue. Handsome and cute get the same answer, but….

Erm...unexplainable?
That’s right.
I see.
Love is...deep, isn’t it?

So I go find Arthur.

Huh? Leon?
I haven’t seen him all day.
Oh, really?
Recently, he’s been looking a bit absent-minded…
Perhaps Xiao or Lin Fa would know where he’s gotten off to.

So I go to the hotel/where Leon lives.

Aren’t you going to Leon Karnak with him?
What?
Well, he left here with two lunch boxes, so I just thought you two were...you know… :swoon:
Huh?
But why are you here?

Hopefully Xiao Pai knows what’s going on.

Leon?
Oh, I saw him leave town.
He told me he was headed for Leon Karnak.
Leon Karnak...?
He had two lunch boxes, so I thought you would be with him.
Huh…?

Next time: I head over to Leon Karnak, in hopes of eating lunch. Sorry, this is the best stopping point for awhile.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You don't need to get a boss in red to recruit it. It's supposed to help, but I've never noticed. If you want to recruit a strong boss, brush it 14 times before giving it gifts.

Greater demon likes to use an earth attack after his shock wave pound. Make a piece of armor with (I think) Giant White Crystal and 10-fold steel. You have access to both by now.

With Super high-leveled monsters, you'll need multiple tries at recruiting them, even with a full inventory of taming items. It can take up to an hour or more sometimes.

Both Black Dragon and Death Orc are not recruit-able. They are two of the "odd floor" bosses of Sharence Maze (see the sticky topic at gameFAQs for spoilers), of which several are also not recruit-able as far as I can tell.

Also not all enemies in the game show up at Sharence Maze such as:

-Typhoon
-All 3 Native dragon clones
-Greater Demon 1, Octo-Pirate 1, Grimoire 1 (They are exclusive to Dungeon flower dungeons)
-Ethelbird-Venti end-boss from Act 2

mastersord fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 30, 2017

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

You don't need to get a boss in red to recruit it. It's supposed to help, but I've never noticed. If you want to recruit a strong boss, brush it 14 times before giving it gifts.

Greater demon likes to use an earth attack after his shock wave pound. Make a piece of armor with (I think) Giant White Crystal and 10-fold steel. You have access to both by now.

With Super high-leveled monsters, you'll need multiple tries at recruiting them, even with a full inventory of taming items. It can take up to an hour or more sometimes.

Both Black Dragon and Death Orc are not recruit-able. They are two of the "odd floor" bosses of Sharence Maze (see the sticky topic at gameFAQs for spoilers), of which several are also not recruit-able as far as I can tell.

Also not all enemies in the game show up at Sharence Maze such as:

-Typhoon
-All 3 Native dragon clones
-Greater Demon 1, Octo-Pirate 1, Grimoire 1 (They are exclusive to Dungeon flower dungeons)
-Ethelbird-Venti end-boss from Act 2

Oh I'm not trying to recruit Greater Daemon. that would be a sensible choice. I'm trying to kick his rear end in spite of the level gap between me and him. Honestly, his earth attack isn't a big deal, I have an amethyst accessory to soak that, it's the 360 degree energy attack that I usually have trouble dodging.

You are right about the monsters that don't appear in the maze, I shouldn't have said it was the full bestiary. But it does have 99% of the monsters.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

So, good news, bad news. The recent gap in updating, caused partially by my being a busy adult with many important things to do, involved technical issues. Good news: issues resolved. Bad news: a sizable chunk of screenshot content was lost. Several floors of Rune Prana progression, the expansion of Art's love life, poof. Over a month of in-game time is now undocumented.

So a brief recap of content we're missing:

Clorica has been added to the harem. Art turns into Volkanon for dates with her.

Art is also dating Amber now, turning into Illuminata for their dates. Their relationship has a disturbing BDSM quality to it since Art calls her Master, but is otherwise actually quite sweet.

All but the last handful of pain in the rear end requests from Eliza are done. These last few are going to take forever to finish.

I've reached the final floor of Rune Prana. Thankfully, due to dungeons being basically unchanging, I was able to run through the floors we're missing again to show them off.

Okay, looking at it like that, we're not actually missing very much. I've got one date with Clorica in the can for the next update, I'll have to get one with Amber prepped.

Next time: An update being written even now, probably posted tonight or tomorrow, picking up where our footage picks back up in mid-Spring.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The Will of My Ancestors

I’ve taken to spending a lot of time as Volkanon for some reason. Also, note the crown: best headgear in the game, picked it up from a chest in Sharance Maze. Random though the chest loot there may be, it can be stupidly good.

The other reason I’m Volkanon right now? Because it entertains me to pretend that Clorica has a thing for older men.

We missed it due to the lost footage, but here’s the dialogue for the Art/Clorica confession scene.

...Art.

Can I hear your answer?

Yesterday was...a big surprise. Thank you. I was so flattered you'd ask me. But... I...I guess I still can't believe it's really true.

Do you really mean what you said?

Yes, I do.

The option is here to say it was a joke, but what kind of horrible person would do that?

You do know I'm...not normal, right? I spend all day in a daze, not really all...here, I guess. I just know that, someday, I'll sleep right through an important date. I don't mean to do it, but it still happens all the time. And it makes me so sad when I realize I did it again.
And I know it'll make you sad too, Art.

Clorica...

If you really want me to be your girlfriend... Then you'll have to put up with that kind of thing all the time.
And I...I don't want to be that much of a pest for anyone...

You aren't a pest!

Oh, I see... !

I don't think you're a pest at all. In fact, I want you to do those things! I can handle it!

I love all of you, Clorica, even those parts. Especially those parts!

Art... I can cause a whole lot of trouble, even without meaning it.

Bring it on.

But still...

Do you love me?

Do you? Because I love you, Clorica.

I... I do. I love you, Art.

Clorica!

Are you certain you won't regret it?

Never ever. Clorica, will you go out with me?

...Yes. I'd love to. Well, um, I guess I'm your girlfriend now. What would you like me to call you?

And then they settled on Art and Clorica, because not ever couple needs to play with nicknames.

Luckily, I do have the date screenshots here.

Were you looking forward to your date with me that much? Hee hee! Shall we be going, then? Oh, wait. Where were we going again?

Carnation’s.

Flowers in a flower shop. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Clorica, mistress of the obvious.

Well, it is a flower shop.

(I wonder which flower would be the best match for Art...)

(Since I'm here, I really should buy something for her...)

Here you go, Clorica . A flower for a flower.

Huh? Really...? Thank you very much! I'll take good care of it. ...Actually, I have a present for you, too. I chose a flower just for you, Art! Will you accept it?

Of course I will! Thank you!

Here you go.

Exchanging flowers is a nice gesture, I like it. Not as much as making accessories at the blacksmith together, but I want to show off the date spots before Art eventually, eventually, eventually gets married.

Aww yeah, holdin’ hands.

...!

Don't you...like this?

N-no. I was just...surprised. It's okay if it's you, Art. Your hands are so warm...

Art is a smooth, smooth operator.

But that’s enough heartwarming romance! We’re here for action! Last time, Art and his pets got slaughtered by Crystal Mammoth.

Yeah, like that. The rematch was easy, thanks to the crafting of a Aquamarine Brooch, upgraded until it provided over 100% water resistance, meaning Art was healed every time a water elemental attack hit him. Including Crystal Mammoth’s ultimate OHKO counterattack.

A nice thing about Rune Prana is that a teleporter automatically opens to each floor as you reach it. 7 floors, one teleporter for each of 2-7.

It’s still kind of silly that this level, while it has a couple paths branching off to either side, only requires you to walk north two screens to get to the boss.

This time, just a bit of showing off.

Behold my ultimate weapon!

It’s super-effective.

Crystal Mammoth drops an icy-replica of its trunk, useful for a few end-game crafting recipes, or for contributing a sizable chunk of attack power in an upgrade.

Another level, another spooky blank hallway, with a weird disembodied voice. Cotton candy person, bird man, old man’s ghost, who can say?

"Etherlink" is a spell that infuses people with runes.
The people upon whom it's cast will fuse with the runes...
...empowering the one to whom they're linked with whatever remains of their willpower.
We Earthmates have continued searching for a way to naturally restore the runes in this land...
...because a single person's will cannot support the life of a Divine Dragon.
Willpower and bonds change over time.
And they can't be kept in one place, making them both strong and fragile in equal measure.
We scoured the land for other solutions.
That was the desire of the Guardians, who bought us time to accomplish that very goal.
And it was our vow, as well.
The Earthmate that cast the spell aged, and eventually returned to the Forest of Beginnings.
His hopes and his research were kept, however, and a new magic was to be born.
It was a magic that summoned any one person you desired from the Forest of Beginnings.
But right before it was completed...
...another person had become a Guardian.
Like the first, she too had been the Divine Dragon's closest friend.

So, now we know the origins of Etherlink and Omni-Gate. Both were created as part of the project to make Venti immortal. And while they worked, first Leon, and now Dolce asked the Earthmates to turn them into Guardians.

Icy forest next to lava filled cavern. When the hell did I end up in Shadow Moses?

This level is particularly annoying, filled with superheated rooms that deal fire damage (and heal fire-absorbing monsters, which become very hard to kill because they get healed during their death animation and get back up), numerous secret walls, and more elemental traps.

This would kill me in two hits if I didn’t have a Ruby Brooch to make me absorb fire. It’s possible to get through and hit the switch without it, but you need to be very quick.

I had to suplex so many dragons, I almost got sick of suplexing dragons.

I’m sure it comes as no great shock that Hinoe and Kinoto here are returning bosses from RF3 (although the English release of that game called them Crimsone and Amaranthine). The red one, Hinoe, is a physical bruiser, the blue one, Kinoto, is a magic user throwing healing spells and wind elemental whirlwind attacks. It’s easier to focus Kinoto down first, especially if you’re equipped to resist or absorb wind (you might have noticed this is becoming a common theme).

Another history lesson?

A magic that summons any person you desire from the Forest of Beginnings...
The purpose of this spell, known as "Omni Gate"...
...was to bring the ones lost to the Forest of Beginnings back into this world.
But it was merely a bit of sorcery. Not a miracle.
It was quickly learned you could only use it when it when the laws of nature were kept in line.
Those who lived out their lives in full could never be brought back again.
There was another problem, too: When the runes grew too large, no human could control them.
So this magic definitely couldn't help save the Divine Dragon.
Realizing this fact, we started searching for other alternatives.
"Etherlink"...
By casting this spell on things other than humans, we might be able to create rune crystals...
...which will eventually take the place of the Guardians.
But when we finally reached that solution, another person came to us.
He asked us to cast Etherlink.
But it wasn't to create rune crystals.
He instead wanted to freeze himself within time...
...to protect his best friend, the Divine Dragon.

And now Dylas.

Level 5 is my favorite level of Rune Prana, featuring a cave with a variety of traps, rooms full of poison gas, paths that require walking in circles to open barriers, and interesting monsters. Sadly, I have none of those screenshots. What I do have is a boss.

Siren, unsurprisingly, is a musical monster that lives in… this tiny pool of water I guess. It can summon elemental spirits and shoot water lasers, but primarily it attacks with those music notes, which can inflict every status. And possibly instant death, I’ve heard conflicting reports and never seen it myself. She’ll frequently dive into the water, either summoning spirits to fight you or just moving to another edge of the pond, making you run around to get to her again.

This fight is made a drat sight easier by a pair of water walking shoes, meaning you can just stand on the pond and skip running around. Water resist or absorption helps, but isn’t really required. Having a lot of status resist worked into your gear helps more, as does having Mediseal leveled up to a point where it cures poison, paralysis, and seal.

One last insult, since the fight takes place over water, any loot the boss drops… lands in the water.

FISHING POLE! Just toss the line in the water and pull it out, no effort required.

And that’s how it’s done.

I guess now we get to hear about Amber asking to become a Guardian because the Earthmates took too loving long again?

And so Etherlink was completed.
However, it required a large number of runes to create the necessary rune crystals.
The only place where that many runes had been collected was the Forest of Beginnings itself.
We tried to find a way to get there.
We searched high and low for information.
And finally, we found a door that led us directly into the Forest of Beginnings.
But in order to open that door, we needed a key.
A key powerful enough to distort the laws of nature. To create a new Reason.
Something that could take the place of the Guardians, and extend the dragon's life.
That was what we strove to create.
...That was the theory behind it, anyway. We had no way to know for sure if we were right.
Then another person appeared before us, asking to become a Guardian.
Ironically, this triggered the door to open.
And so it stood, open before us.
The girl, who had been infused with runes, was the proof we needed

Somehow, Amber becoming a Guardian opened the door to Rune Prana, which made the Eathmate’s project possible. Fascinating.

Rune Prana 6 has the same dungeony-castley-templey aesthetic as Rune Prana 1, which seems like a letdown to me. And features another recurring boss from RF3, Death Wall.

Death Wall is an interesting fight. First of all, the wall obviously moves towards you over time, although I’ve never sat here long enough to see if you get crushed or just have to fight the boss in ever closer quarters. The boss himself (who is only the face, not the whole wall), has two phases. He starts attached to the wall, with some minor ice attacks.

After taking a few hits, he detaches, surrounds himself with icicles, and starts flying around. In addition to his minor ice attacks, he transforms into various forms to engage in melee combat, including a sword, a hammer, and a drill once he’s reduced to critical health. The drill is very dangerous, I got slaughtered by it a few times when I first got here, until I spent some time farming items from these past few levels to make new gear.

Which brings us to the last bit of backstory.

We kept chanting, "Etherlink!", before the Forest of Beginnings...
...for generations that extended well over a century.
But finally, it was completed.
This stone was called a Rune Sphere .
That was the name we'd chosen for it back when the Etherlink spell was first created.
After finally achieving our goal, we reported in to the king.
It was, of course, to get his permission to deliver the stone.
But after reporting in, we finally realized...
...the dangers of the Rune Sphere .
It was powerful. So powerful that it seemed almost inconceivable it could even exist.
It was something that could transform the entire world.
What if someone tried to abuse such power?
Fearing this, we once again closed the door to the Forest of Beginnings...
...and elected to deliver the Rune Sphere as quickly as possible.
I hurried onto the airship, and set out for the town of Selphia.
But that's when...

I don’t know why Frey is appearing here instead of Lest. Maybe something confuses the game if you come here with any appearance other than standard?

My task was to deliver the Rune Sphere safely into her hands. But I failed... to deliver the stone. It was the will of my ancestors, yet a mere bump on the head later and I'd forgotten all about it. But despite not even remembering my mission... look at where I'm standing now. This time, as her friend... I pledge to save her.

I’m fairly certain having in depth conversations with your gender-bent hallucination of yourself probably isn’t healthy.

...Thank you. You know what you must do to save the Divine Dragon, I trust? Do you remember fighting the Native Dragons, created in this same manner? What made them incomplete was the absence of their will. But you have everything you need here. Part of the Divine Dragon's body to become her spirit vessel... an Earthmate who can cast the secret incantation... the memory of a descendant whose family had mastered its usage... and finally... a will entrusted from past to future, to support this land in her place. That's why...

And that’s the story. Art is the descendent of Earthmates who spent hundreds of years trying to make Venti immortal, culminating in the creation of the Rune Spheres. This seems like a lot of work and danger just to make one person not die because it would make four other people sad.

And so we reach Rune Prana level 7.

Next time: A little RP7, a little farming, a little showing off in Sharance Maze.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think that given the way the other dragons have turned out, helping the one who actually gave a care about people to stick around longer would be a pretty high priority.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Truthkeeper posted:

Siren, unsurprisingly, is a musical monster that lives in… this tiny pool of water I guess. It can summon elemental spirits and shoot water lasers, but primarily it attacks with those music notes, which can inflict every status. And possibly instant death, I’ve heard conflicting reports and never seen it myself. She’ll frequently dive into the water, either summoning spirits to fight you or just moving to another edge of the pond, making you run around to get to her again.

Oh boy, it's this boss. Does it still spend like, 2/3rds of the fight underwater? The mechanics otherwise seem unchanged from the RF1 variant, which is a nice touch, even if Siren's obnoxious as all hell.

Also, looks like a nice quality of life change from her original variant in that you can see the whole pool on one screen. That's handy, at least.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Oh boy, it's this boss. Does it still spend like, 2/3rds of the fight underwater? The mechanics otherwise seem unchanged from the RF1 variant, which is a nice touch, even if Siren's obnoxious as all hell.

Also, looks like a nice quality of life change from her original variant in that you can see the whole pool on one screen. That's handy, at least.

Thankfully, this version is much easier. She only seems to have one underwater phase, which ends as soon as you defeat her summoned spirits, and otherwise only does quick dives to move to other edges of the pool.

Glazius posted:

I think that given the way the other dragons have turned out, helping the one who actually gave a care about people to stick around longer would be a pretty high priority.

Terrable wasn't so bad once he wasn't being controlled by the Sechs, and even helped wipe out the Sechs army. Fiersome... well, he's the god of destruction, not much to be done for that. Aquaticus is just an rear end in a top hat, although he tried to pass it off as testing Micah to make sure he had the heart of the cards or some poo poo like that.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
1) I can confirm that Siren's notes can inflict instant death. I was OHKOed by her several times while trying to recruit her.
2) I have been killed by Death wall's room while trying to recruit Death wall.

I'd also like to post a few things I've learned since last time:

-Upgrade weapons with Shade stone and it halves enemies resistance levels. Resistant enemies become non-resistant, Immune enemies become resistant, and enemies that absorb an element become simply immune to that element.
-If you recruit a monster and it seems to not pull it's weight in battle, up it's friendship level to about 7-10. Monsters gain stats from Friendship levels, but also it affects their AI in combat. They tend to become more aggressive and more protective of you. This takes about 2-3 in-game weeks of daily feeding and brushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Proposal part two out of several- Frey goes to Leon Karnak!

I, uh...I wanted to talk with you.
Talk? About what?
Well…

Option: Two lunches?

… That’s your concern?
Well…
There’s no one.
Huh…?
I just...wanted to feel like there was.
…?
What, something else?

Kiel?
Yes. He wanted you to read this.
Did Arthur bring…?
Huh?
Uh, never mind.
All right. I’ll talk to Kiel later.
Oh, okay.

What is it? It seems like there’s more on your mind.

I don’t think I’ve seen this ¾ view outside of this event.

Uh...what am I looking at?
They’re old characters. Barely even used during my time.
Old characters…
I might’ve told you before…
But my kingdom used the same language and writing as Selphia.
But these characters are from a different kingdom that’s much, much older.
A foreign language, basically.
What does it say?
“Leon.”
Huh?
And it says “Maria” next to it.
Maria…?
She passed away hundreds of years ago.
We were friends from childhood.
Uh…
She was like a sister to me.
Annoying, but irresistibly cute at the same time.
I used to take care of her as if I were her real brother.
I might have been the only person to think of her that way, really.
…?
She was such a crybaby, always clinging to me…
We went everywhere together.

...We even both carved our names here, one fateful day.
See, Maria was crying.
She wouldn’t stop and I didn’t know what to do.
So I told her…
“I’ll do anything you ask as long as you just stop crying.”
Then she replied…
“Can I marry you?”
Wha…?
Still a kid, I agreed without giving it much thought.
And as proof of our promise, we carved our names...using a language we’d just learned.
It was like a secret code that only the two of us knew…

Pretty cliched tale, huh? I’m sure you’ve heard stories like it a thousand times before.
I soon forgot about the promise, regarding it as...well, as just another play date.
But she never cried after that.
Not when I teased her, and not even when she got herself injured.
In fact…
...she didn’t even cry on the day I decided to become a Guardian.
…!
Everyone came to see me off.
And she stood all by herself, behind my family and friends.
She just quietly looked at me…
....with eyes fit to burst into tears at any moment.

And that’s when I realized…
…that sweet girl, whom I adored as a little sister, believed my promise.
I’m such a …

(There is a soft, sad laugh here.)

...such a hopeless fool.
Sir Leon…
That’s why I decided I’d never get married.
I can’t trample on her feelings any more than I already have.
...Obviously, I know this won’t change anything…
But…
I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I didn’t honor my word.
I...I’m a weak person.

I’m sorry I had to tell you this.
Are you...jealous?

Haha. Exactly what I’d expected.
Seriously…
You’re just too cute, you know.
Er…
Well, that’s enough with the teasing, I suppose.
Sir Leon!!
But you know, for as bad as I feel, it is a precious memory to me.
That’s why I wanted you to know.
I was the one who took away her tears. The one who buried her under her own repressed despair.
It’s all my fault.
I’ll never forget the look on her face that day…
...How could I?
I’m so sorry, Maria.
I’m sorry I had to break our promise.
Hey, Princess Frey.
Do you regret your decision to date me?
Hmm?
After hearing about Maria…
...can you still say that you love me?

I wasn’t planning to tell anyone about Maria.
I thought I’d keep the promise within me…
...and live with the burden.
But for some reason…
I just wanted you to know.
...I just had to tell you.
Sir Leon…
Even though I knew it wouldn’t change anything…

Hmm?
You have a past. A side of you I know nothing about.
....I mean, obviously. Everyone has a past. And there’s nothing we can do about it.
But...the fact that yours pains my heart so…
...is proof positive of just how much I love you.
That’s something your story just now helped me realize.
...You mean that?
Yes.
I love you with all my heart and soul.

Love can come in many shapes and sizes.
It can be painful and heart-wrenching just as it can be joyous and fun.
But none of that matters…
...because love is love. And I love you. Pure and simple.
I see.
...You make a powerful case.
I know.
...I swear, it’s always such a joy spending time with you.
You’ve made me realize so many things about the world.
Really? Like what?
Well…
...Like the fact that women nowadays are far more aggressive than they used to be.
And that there’s no mood where saying embarrassing things becomes less embarrassing.
Oh, Sir Leon! Come on!
Also…
...how hard it is that I can’t get any closer to you…
Huh?
I think…
I’m going to stay here a little longer and...talk to her.
There are hundreds of years’ worth of things to catch up on.
Okay.
I’ll see you later, then.
All right.
Thanks for everything.
No problem.

After:

...I wonder what Maria did after I left…
Never mind. Forget I said that.

Back in the castle:

It’s about time for Sir Leon to come back from the tower.
I hope he was able to make some sense of that old text from Kiel.

How in the world did Kiel find this?
Amazing…

...Love me with all your heart and soul, huh?

I…
I want to get closer...and hold you in my arms…
But…
Won’t that mean trampling all over Maria’s feelings, even more than I already have?
Would she ever...be able to forgive me for that?
My heart is torn. I’m in agony....
...because I love her so much.

....Geez…

That’s a wrap for now!

• Locked thread