Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I've been playing with these guys for a little over a year. We're a trio, and just spent about 3 months in a local studio doing a few days per week, working around our day-jobs.

It's mostly Alt Rock - very riff oriented at least - but some prog and fusion influences crept in, as well as a hint of Neil Young on one song. At the tail end of track three, the guitar does some cool Steve Howe-type runs. The album opens with a very Van Halen-y feel. There's really a bit of everything in here.

About the recording process:
The drums were recorded live in the studio playing along to the guitar and bass, no click. The guitars, bass, and vocals were then added over the drum parts. We've only released it digitally so far, but we're working on getting physical copies produced. I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

https://heavyelement.bandcamp.com/releases

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Band is tight, vocals are weak.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I dig it. The vocals could use a touch more time and attention but I didn't mind them at all. With the name and description I went in expecting something way heavier, and had a surprise. Not in a bad way though. I get a lot of those 90s alt rock band feelings, especially Nirvana with the combo of vocals and riffs (Truly being the big one). What would you say are the biggest influences on your sound? I think it's a good album, and certainly does the alternative rock thing well. What was your role in the band? I'm guessing guitarist/singer?

I'd be interested in hearing any tidbits you discovered during the making of the album. Did you have more songs that didn't work or is what is on the album all that was written? That kind of stuff.

Aside from the vocals needing a bit of a polish I think it's good, solid album.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I'm the drummer. Our guitarist is the lead singer on most of the songs. He agrees that he doesn't have a strong voice, and wants to hire a lead singer, but our bassist, who takes lead vocals on Lion and Tidal wants to remain a trio. I also like being a trio. Musically, I think the three of us blend really well, and are on the same page as far as how we like to sound. Bringing in a fourth member will change that, though it might be for the best.

As far as my role in the band, I don't do much other than write the drum parts, and give my opinions as to sing arrangements. The guitarist and bassist collaborate on songwriting.

As for influences, our guitarist is equally influenced by Jeff Beck as Nirvana, Hum, Soundgarden, etc. Our bassist biggest influences are Devin Townsend and A Perfect Circle. And mine are John Bonham, Neil Peart, and Barrie Barlow - in no particular order.

We didn't record anything that didn't make it onto the album. We wrote and rehearsed the hell out of those 10 songs before going in to record them. There is, however, a recording project from a few years ago by our guitarist. He wrote some songs and hired me to record drums for them. That's what started the band. They are heavier, and sound very different, and I don't think they are as good. But, I will link a friend of ours YouTube page below so you can give them a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTKfRlyL7qCFYr2RayOn0jjlIhSd647TS

And our guitarists page for anyone who likes really good Jeff Beck covers.
http://youtu.be/qAKlA4uTxgY

Thanks again for the constructive criticism.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread