Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mt Kinabalu, cool mountain to walk up in Malaysia! (also don't take naked photos up there or they'll arrest you and blame earthquakes on you angering the mountain gods...)

The walk up was actually hella boring because of nearly zero visability due to low cloud. It was pretty brutal though with 3km vertical gain in about 6.5km distance...

Stayed overnight in this chill hut at around 3.5km (11500ft) altitude, pictured is a nice family from Minnesota I met there, I'm Australian so it was actually interesting to talk to them.

Sunrise from the summit the next day, 4095m (13435ft) altitude.

Was drat cold, about 0 degrees but with strong wind.

My local guide, absolutely humiliated me with his fitness, also managed to deal with the 0 degree temperatures in crocks.

Start of the world's highest via ferrata, basically rock climbing without any of the skill or difficulty. There's a metal wire and hand/footholds bolted to the rock, you wear a harness and clip to the wire and you can go down vertically without having to worry about falling.

My guide for the ferrata, he said there's also a lot of sport climbing on the mountain too so maybe I'll go back one day to do that.

Possibly the world's highest suspension bridge? There were three bridges as part of the ferrata in increasing levels of not actually being bridges. This is the first and most bridge-like, the second was just three wires with no planks, the third was just two wires (one for feet, one for hands).

After going up and down in two days my legs were no joke ruined, I could barely walk for nearly a week afterwards and I consider myself pretty fit but it was an awesome experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Blackhawk posted:

pictured is a nice family from Minnesota I met there, I'm Australian so it was actually interesting to talk to them.

ouch, op

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wish I could share climbing stories, but it wasn't in the itinerary for the trip I was on, which was a field school. I did at least get to see it in person!

I stayed at Sabah Tea Longhouse as a base to do some studying in Kinabalu National Park, which is 30km away from the mountain and where my photos were taken from. It's a drat big mountain.

• Locked thread