Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kenzie posted:

idk what this fuss is about

sounds like he died a True Warrior, in glorious battle. an honorable death
achievement unlocked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Kenzie posted:

:smith: nope he died in a torture prison

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

achievement unlocked!
Press X to pay respects.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Maybe everyone's being a bit pessimistic about what happens in Syrian prisons. He could be rediscovering himself there like Wynona Rider in Girl, Interrupted.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

:smith: nope he died in a torture prison

nah did you see that sick sniper duel??

a True Warrior would never allow himself to be captured

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

fyi the article doesn't say it was goons' fault

Or, you know, it does.

"Behind the firewalled stockade of his own paranoia, Dawes had come to believe that the whole world was against him. Randall Hendricks, the other person Dawes was in communication with from his Antakya hotel room, got to know Dawes when he sent a message to his YouTube channel. After Dawes got back from Libya, Hendricks planned to meet him in San Diego, but broke off all contact after Dawes offered to come sweep his house for bugs planted by the CIA. The abuse he endured from his fellow goons on Something Awful, insists Hendricks, was a "major motivation" for Dawes wanting to go to Syria - he wanted to prove everyone wrong."

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cmon that's like reading an article on hinckley as if it's blaming jodi foster

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Well it sure as gently caress says right there that a guy who actually knew him irl says goons were a major motivation, so I don't know man, seems to me like it is implying that goons were at some fault here. Not like saying they put the idea in his head, but it was encouraged and may have been put into motion by him being egged on.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
we did it, goons, we KILLED a man :)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mein Eyes! posted:

:peanut:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Goons did 9/11

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Obligatory Handle posted:

Well it sure as gently caress says right there that a guy who actually knew him irl says goons were a major motivation, so I don't know man, seems to me like it is implying that goons were at some fault here. Not like saying they put the idea in his head, but it was encouraged and may have been put into motion by him being egged on.

That other guy didn't know him irl, just from YouTube as far as I can tell. It does seem irresponsible to have included that one comment from what was probably a full interview, as well as the implications of 'a tale of geekery gone wrong'. As strange and sad as it is, SA was actually the closest thing to a healthy influence in caro's life even with people trolling him. Not entertaining his delusions, banning him largely for his own benefit, while still having people that made an effort to keep track of him and contact authorities is more than anyone else did for him.

It is crazy that the journalist apparently wanted to explore how the internet influenced him and they didn't choose to focus on either the conspiracy forums, the youtube sharing he did, or the multiple times journalists wrote about him in an idealised fashion. It's kind of disgusting that this is the first time a news source hasn't suggested that he might just be a misunderstood or naive guy trying to do some good, but was in fact a paranoid madman.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The abuse I've endured from goons on Something Awful just makes me want to pay it forward by posting more

Also, RIP psycho combat journalist roleplayer

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

goons goons, we can ALL go to a syrian prison

Start a kickstarter to fly a drone over Syria looking for Caro

Mein Eyes! posted:

I would bank money Crackhead Clubhouse has a legit body count piled high.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Bro Dad posted:

not in my state, where people routinely have their kids baker acted for getting bad grades or not going to church :smith:

Sup Florida goon. Sometimes homeless people even do it to themselves when the weather gets lovely!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Kenzie posted:

idk what this fuss is about

goons are without honor

Perhaps he yet lives, starved and desperate in a Syrian prison, plotting his escape, to freedom-or death.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Or he's some ISIS dude's wife.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Perhaps SA will gain international acclaim and Caro will be featured on an ISIS video.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Lowtax lied, Caro died.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SaltLick posted:

Perhaps SA will gain international acclaim and Caro will be featured on an ISIS video.

Maybe a magician with a sword will make his head disappear.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Syrian prison might not be that bad. At some point part of it will probably get blown up and you can just walk out through the new hole and join whatever paramilitary group you bump into first

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

feedmegin posted:

Or he's some ISIS dude's wife.

There has to be easier ways for a schizophrenic to get laid, surely.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
Caro was perfectly lucid throughout and the world is a far more interesting place with him in it/having been in it which is way more than can be said for you sorry sobs. shine on you crazy diamond :patriot:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BrawndoTQ fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 20, 2016

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
once upon a time SA was described in the news as a site where users shared shocking pictures with each other... I can't remember the article but can we go back to the halcyon days of goatse?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im going to see rhea perlman

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Demonachizer posted:

I wish you would go to a Syrian prison.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
think of it this way, the unfeeling machine that shits out these war movies had to account for the memory of vilerat that we created by half-assedly stuffing a geek in one scene somewhere

sure its a throwaway extra in a forgettable movie about some dumb poo poo that happened because of the same unfeeling machine i mentioned before but its a real testament to the power of what we're doing here by posting about butts and farts etc

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

bump

naem
May 29, 2011

Did we ever hear back from Kevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

does caro know he got unbanned