Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Problem description: for about a year, I've been dealing with lovely Internet and have done what I thought I could. I am 99% likely to get a new one because this is a bullshit modem apparently, and my attempt to fix it is like trying to make an ashtray in pottery class out of paper.

Attempted fixes: short of breaking it, I've attempted to reset it, open ports, limit connectivity, but it all seems for nothing. coverage is bullshit, speed is laughable, and sometimes so bad that it's easier just to switch my phone to carrier instead of wifi. literally nothing has improved quality of Internet, and I find myself needing to buffer shows to watch 5 minutes at a time. which really sucks.

Recent changes: bought an Amazon Firestick and it showed us how bad our internet really is.

--

Operating system: Mac OSX Yosemite

System specs: ISP Centurylink: modem: C1000a. plan is around 12/mbs. I get like 2 on good days

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm sorry that such a simple question made it into its own thread, I couldn't find anything really in the OP and people online are talking gibberish to me. something about how my modem is a 1x1 and people say a 8x4 is better and it needs to be n not a. I don't understand most, if not all of this stuff.

thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Have you considered posting this in the home networking megathread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Didn't know that was a thing. Thanks!

• Locked thread