Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but it seems the most appropriate, but if not then please move it to where it should be.

About an hour ago I called my bank to cancel a lost debit card and send me a new one. They went through the verification process and one of the questions was "did you open a home equity line of credit in September 2013?" I replied "no" because I most certainly hadn't. Hell, I was living in Belgium at that point.

She said "are you suuure?" I said that I was, and she said that one had been opened according to the public records she was looking at.

A bit confused, I checked my credit report and didn't see anything regarding a home equity credit line but maybe that's on some other public records check?

I did see two dings on my report though, two >PLACED FOR COLLECTION< for Time Warner, one on 10/19/2014 and another on 10/25/2014.

I have not had a Time Warner account since 2009 and I owed no debts when I closed the account, the modem was returned, etc. And again, at the time periods for which those collections were placed I was living in Belgium and had been for over a year.

Could it be that maybe I did miss two bills sometime over 5 years ago and Time Warner took their bloody leisurely time to bring it to collections? I'd consider this the likely possibility if it weren't for that home equity credit line that was apparently opened in my name that I know absolutely nothing about.

Have I been compromised? Has anybody dealt with something similar to this? Who should I contact regarding this manner to get more information and get it resolved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I've seen people do all sorts of things in your name without your permission, buddy. Aaaahaha just a little forums humor there for you. Probably the first guy ever to make a joke about your username.

Anyway I would suggest the following three things:
1) You mention that you checked your credit report. There are actually three main credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax, and Transunion). Sometimes stuff doesn't show up on all three. I'd check the other two that you didn't check before.
2) Follow up with the bank and see if they can tell you who the supposed HELOC lender is.
3) Call Time Warner and probably spend 90 minutes wading through some robotic help menu and then when you finally get to a person ask them if they can give you more info about the collections you see from them.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Jesus Christ posted:

..Time Warner collections stuff..
Holy moly.

I had a collections account for Time Warner show up on my Experian credit report last July out of the blue. I sent in a dispute to Experian with a copy of my lease and a power bill as proof that I didn't live in the service area in 2014 when I supposedly had service & Experian removed it without comment like 2 weeks later. About 3-4 weeks after Experian removed it, the same agency reported it to Transunion, but the date opened and delinquency date changed from 2014 to 2007. I couldn't have had service with them in either year, so I sent a dispute to Transunion with a copy of what I sent Experian & a copy of their findings. TU removed the collections account from my report three hours after I sent the dispute. It showed up twice on my Equifax credit report, once in July and again in August.

I only found out about the collections account because it showed up on my credit report the very same day I applied for a car loan with my credit union :suicide:

pig slut lisa posted:

3) Call Time Warner and probably spend 90 minutes wading through some robotic help menu and then when you finally get to a person ask them if they can give you more info about the collections you see from them.
Almost forgot this tidbit. I included a chat transcript with a Time Warner rep confirming they had no record of any account, delinquent or otherwise, under my name or social security number. I did have to call their collections department to confirm for sure with them which I also noted on the dispute.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Thanks for the info!

It was the TransUnion credit check that I looked at, I'll check the other two out tomorrow, along with calling my bank regarding the credit line and sitting around for 90 minutes with Time Warner robots to see what address these collections are targeting.

• Locked thread