Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
I remember reading a while ago that when Einstein was working on his theory of relativity (or whatever theory lead eventually to the development of the bomb, I know almost nothing about science whatsoever) someone figured out the kind of force it had and tried to warn him by passing him a note about it on the street, but Einstein dismissed it and never heeded the warning.

Any historians know if that's correct? Do we know who gave him the note or tried to warn him? Can you fill me in on the details or link me to a page about this? Or is this sort of a legend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Einstein was a signatory to a letter to the president urging the manhatten project. He was pro-nuclear bomb (at the time) but only to the point of beating the nazis to it.

source: http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My understanding is that he recognized the utility in developing it, but he wasn't advocating using it. Subtle but distinct difference.

In the WWII thread there's a great discussion at some point about the Nazi's development of atomic weapons, the best part of which is that the OSS (CIA predecessor) sent a pro baseball player named Moe Berg to Germany to determine how likely it was that the Nazis would develop the bomb. He decided they were making some fundamentally flawed calculations/assumptions and decided not to assassinate any of the German physicists.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

adorai posted:

Einstein was a signatory to a letter to the president urging the manhatten project. He was pro-nuclear bomb (at the time) but only to the point of beating the nazis to it.

source: http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm

This is probably the letter you heard about. A bunch of physicists wrote it when it looked like uranium could be weaponized, Einstein signed it, FDR took it seriously and the Manhattan Project was born. Before that point, nobody would have been in a position to warn Einstein of anything because the first person who thought of making a weapon out of a fission device ran pretty much straight to him and blew his socks off.

He would say later that he regretted signing the letter because the Germans, as it turns out, wouldn't have invented the weapon (they never saw its potential and everyone who did was either Jewish or from a country that the Nazis had attacked) so there would have been no need for the US to have done so and a few hundred thousand civilians wouldn't have been set on fire. I personally don't think that would've mattered because Enrico Fermi and Neils Bohr were both somewhat competent physicists in their own right; if he hadn't signed the letter then the people who wrote it probably would've taken it to one of those two guys next.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 25, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Oppenheimer has a particularly interesting reaction: http://youtu.be/lb13ynu3Iac

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Its worth mentioning that at the time the Einstein-Szilard letter was written, a lot was unclear about what exactly a nuclear weapon would be. What was certain is that uranium could sustain a nuclear chain reaction, and this could produce an explosion several orders of magnitude greater than chemical reactions.

Back of the envelope calculations and common sense, based on what was known at the time, indicated that the amount of uranium needed would probably be many tons. The Einstein letter indicates that a uranium weapon could very well be too heavy to deliver by air, and gives an example of such a weapon being stored on a ship that is detonated in port. Though the possibility of a chain reaction in uranium was all but certain, the practical and economic feasibility of a nuclear bomb was much less so. The spirit of the letter was basically a heads up, saying that this sort of thing might be possible, lots of German physicists know this, and Germany has access to high quality uranium reserves in occupied Czechoslovakia. The letter does not directly advocate the construction or use of such weapons, but calls for serious attention to be devoted to the matter since the Germans would probably be doing so.

While Roosevelt took the letter seriously and formed an Advisory Committee to study and keep an eye on things, no real effort was taken towards making a nuclear weapon based on Einstein's letter. About 3 years later, two (Austrian and German born) scientists working in the UK, Otto Frisch and Rudolf Peierls, realized that 1.) Uranium that was isotopically enriched to be nearly pure U-235 would allow efficient and powerful nuclear weapons to be made with kilogram quantities of uranium and 2.) the required isotopic separation was technically and most likely economically feasible. In fact, due to the lack of good experimental data at the time, their calculations actually underestimated the critical mass of U-235 and their report indicated that a bomb could be made with just 1 pound of it. This was communicated in a secret memorandum to the government of the UK and eventually US, and it was this memorandum that really lit a fire under everyone's rear end to start working on a bomb.

Something else to point out, is that Einstein's famous "E=mc^2" from special relativity, which he published in 1905, was not important in illustrating the potential possibility of nuclear weapon. The discovery of fission in 1938by Otto Hahn--23 years later--was what made physicists realize that a nuclear chain reaction, and therefore an atomic weapon, could be possible.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lawnie posted:

Oppenheimer has a particularly interesting reaction: http://youtu.be/lb13ynu3Iac

quote:

The meeting between Oppenheimer and Truman did not go well. It was then that Oppenheimer famously told Truman that "I feel I have blood on my hands", which was unacceptable to Truman, who immediately replied that that was no concern of Oppenheimer's, and that if anyone had bloody hands, it was the president.

Truman had very little use for Oppenheimer then--little use for his "hand wringing", for his high moral acceptance of question in the use of the bomb, for his second-guessing the decision. Cold must have descended in the meeting, as Truman later told David Lillenthal of Oppenheimer that he "never wanted to see that son of a bitch in this office again".

One of the reasons I heard for the failure of the Nazi nuclear weapons project (aside from a critical lack of materials) was that physics was considered to be a Jewish discipline, and so True Ayran Germans should not be studying it and should be studying proper German physics (which didn't work properly)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Morbus posted:

While Roosevelt took the letter seriously and formed an Advisory Committee to study and keep an eye on things, no real effort was taken towards making a nuclear weapon based on Einstein's letter. About 3 years later, two (Austrian and German born) scientists working in the UK, Otto Frisch and Rudolf Peierls, realized that 1.) Uranium that was isotopically enriched to be nearly pure U-235 would allow efficient and powerful nuclear weapons to be made with kilogram quantities of uranium and 2.) the required isotopic separation was technically and most likely economically feasible. In fact, due to the lack of good experimental data at the time, their calculations actually underestimated the critical mass of U-235 and their report indicated that a bomb could be made with just 1 pound of it. This was communicated in a secret memorandum to the government of the UK and eventually US, and it was this memorandum that really lit a fire under everyone's rear end to start working on a bomb.

Cool, I never knew that part of it!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shooting Blanks posted:

My understanding is that he recognized the utility in developing it, but he wasn't advocating using it. Subtle but distinct difference.

In the WWII thread there's a great discussion at some point about the Nazi's development of atomic weapons, the best part of which is that the OSS (CIA predecessor) sent a pro baseball player named Moe Berg to Germany to determine how likely it was that the Nazis would develop the bomb. He decided they were making some fundamentally flawed calculations/assumptions and decided not to assassinate any of the German physicists.

Link to the ww2 thread?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Link to the ww2 thread?

Can't link right now as I'm phone posting but I assume he's talking about the "WW2 Debate Thread" over in D&D. It's been consistently on the first page so you should be able to find it easily.

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
I heard that Einstein took #Drugs andf mastered the talent of the #selfsuck is that true ??

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeCrotch posted:

One of the reasons I heard for the failure of the Nazi nuclear weapons project (aside from a critical lack of materials) was that physics was considered to be a Jewish discipline, and so True Ayran Germans should not be studying it and should be studying proper German physics (which didn't work properly)

This is really overblown by a lot of people and didn't factor into much. The "Deutsche Physik" movement was the result of a relatively small group of physicists getting a nationalistic hair up their asses in WW1 and taking the road down to poisonous anti-Semitism once Einstein's theories became heavily debated. There is a lot of stuff mixed in, including professional rivalries, but they were never more than a fringe force. They tried to hitch their wagon to the Nazis in a big way after 1932 but that didn't go anywhere, mostly because Heisenberg was a pretty big proponent of Einstein's work and was pretty vital to German physics research once the Jewish scientists lost their jobs. Note that this wasn't because of "Jewish science" but because of the general policy of the NSDAP to kick Jews out of academia. It included philosophers, historians, etc. along with the scientists.

As an interesting side note Heisenberg and Himmler went to school together as kids. This became important when the more nutso (even for those guys) fringe of the SS started given Heisenberg a hard time because they'd been drinking the Deutsche Physik koolaid. Heisenberg's mom phoned Himmler's mom and asked her to lean on Heinrich to make his guys be nicer to Werner. Who knows how much influence this had, but Heisenberg ended up investigated and vetted by the SS as an "Aryan thinker."

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is really overblown by a lot of people and didn't factor into much. The "Deutsche Physik" movement was the result of a relatively small group of physicists getting a nationalistic hair up their asses in WW1 and taking the road down to poisonous anti-Semitism once Einstein's theories became heavily debated. There is a lot of stuff mixed in, including professional rivalries, but they were never more than a fringe force. They tried to hitch their wagon to the Nazis in a big way after 1932 but that didn't go anywhere, mostly because Heisenberg was a pretty big proponent of Einstein's work and was pretty vital to German physics research once the Jewish scientists lost their jobs. Note that this wasn't because of "Jewish science" but because of the general policy of the NSDAP to kick Jews out of academia. It included philosophers, historians, etc. along with the scientists.

As an interesting side note Heisenberg and Himmler went to school together as kids. This became important when the more nutso (even for those guys) fringe of the SS started given Heisenberg a hard time because they'd been drinking the Deutsche Physik koolaid. Heisenberg's mom phoned Himmler's mom and asked her to lean on Heinrich to make his guys be nicer to Werner. Who knows how much influence this had, but Heisenberg ended up investigated and vetted by the SS as an "Aryan thinker."

ur a #nerd lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

As an interesting side note Heisenberg and Himmler went to school together as kids. This became important when the more nutso (even for those guys) fringe of the SS started given Heisenberg a hard time because they'd been drinking the Deutsche Physik koolaid. Heisenberg's mom phoned Himmler's mom and asked her to lean on Heinrich to make his guys be nicer to Werner. Who knows IT'S UNCERTAIN, COME ON MAN, how much influence this had, but Heisenberg ended up investigated and vetted by the SS as an "Aryan thinker."

• Locked thread