Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Counterpoint: there should never be a "scan this" icon, every time you want to scan something you should have to solve a puzzle in real time, and you can run out of air or get eaten while in the puzzle interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Counterpoint: there should never be a "scan this" icon, every time you want to scan something you should have to solve a puzzle in real time, and you can run out of air or get eaten while in the puzzle interface.

I hope it’s a Pipe Dream puzzle clone!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Below Zero did a super good job of using oxygen plants and complicated locations to create almost a push your luck game of exploration. I wound up swimming down a crack in a volcano so deep I came out into the mines and was desperately scanning prawn suit fragments and grabbing rubies while panicking over where the next oxygen plant might be. I wound up having to swap my laser cutter battery into my dead sea glide while aiming straight up the mining shaft at the end and wound up on the surface at -4 seconds or oxygen 500m from my seatruck.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't recall ever having a scanner icon popup, so maybe I'm not the part of the intended argument here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Since they're also the primary marketers, it's a huge advantage to cater to that sort of distracted gaming.

Counterpoint: Please, developers, do not ever balance anything around what streamers want

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Counterpoint: Please, developers, do not ever balance anything around what streamers want

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Below Zero did a super good job of using oxygen plants and complicated locations to create almost a push your luck game of exploration. I wound up swimming down a crack in a volcano so deep I came out into the mines and was desperately scanning prawn suit fragments and grabbing rubies while panicking over where the next oxygen plant might be. I wound up having to swap my laser cutter battery into my dead sea glide while aiming straight up the mining shaft at the end and wound up on the surface at -4 seconds or oxygen 500m from my seatruck.

I love free diving into the twisty bridges basement and getting diamonds and sea truck fragments early.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cartoon Man posted:

I love free diving into the twisty bridges basement and getting diamonds and sea truck fragments early.

If the entire game was as well designed as twisty bridges it would have been as good as the original.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The creature design in below zero is hit or miss but the torpedo shark with predator face monsters are loving rad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pander posted:

If the entire game was as well designed as twisty bridges it would have been as good as the original.

The mushroom spore basement under the lily pad area is so very well done too. I love how alien and exotic it is. Below Zero is an awesome game but they hosed up the surface parts which is a drat shame. And the story gets boring and doesn’t go anywhere.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Cartoon Man posted:

The mushroom spore basement under the lily pad area is so very well done too. I love how alien and exotic it is. Below Zero is an awesome game but they hosed up the surface parts which is a drat shame. And the story gets boring and doesn’t go anywhere.

Reminds me of Firewatch. Lots of promise early, fizzles as the game goes on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

Eh, I kinda felt like the oxygen plants tended to be too much of a breadcrumb trail, so instead of wandering and exploring organically, you just kinda see the paths offered to you and follow them. Not so much danger when you're just following the beaten bath.

It's much more obvious on the surface areas where you barely need to use any of the many ways to combat the cold because there's so many paths of heatplants and safe warm caves full of warming hot peppers. Barely any danger.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The first time I surfaced into a whiteout blizzard was genuinely disorientating and I loved it. The weather effects I really enjoyed. The lily pads were also just incredible, almost haunting the first time I came upon them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eh, I kinda felt like the oxygen plants tended to be too much of a breadcrumb trail, so instead of wandering and exploring organically, you just kinda see the paths offered to you and follow them. Not so much danger when you're just following the beaten bath.

It's much more obvious on the surface areas where you barely need to use any of the many ways to combat the cold because there's so many paths of heatplants and safe warm caves full of warming hot peppers. Barely any danger.

I agree with this, I almost wish there was a sliding setting scale that toned those down.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pander posted:

Reminds me of Firewatch. Lots of promise early, fizzles as the game goes on.

What didn’t you like about it? I thought it was a great game though you could argue that the ending was a disappointment.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Firewatch's trailer alluded to a different game than the one we got. It was... fine? I guess? But I wasn't expecting a walking simulator, despite not minding those types of games. Also, as with many games of this type, having any and all of your choices make no difference to anything was kinda disappointing. Even if it did have tailored voice line responses, which to be fair is a cut about some other games in the genre.

Outa curiosity on what they're doing nowadays, I just went to the UW site, and man, what an archive of nostalgia and loss. The NS2 forums in particular.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Oasx posted:

What didn’t you like about it? I thought it was a great game though you could argue that the ending was a disappointment.

What serephina said. Good ambiance and starting premise. Thought it was gonna slow burn into something really interesting, but it dropped the ball and I was left with more of a "welp, that was an alright game I guess" vibe.

For BZ, twisty bridges, the lily pads, the mushroom, and the ice flow areas are great. And then everything overland sucked the pace of play and Alan kept taking me out of the "lonely survivor" mindset that worked well in subnautica.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Alan was a mistake who was trapped there by his people because he was so annoying.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
My son is into Subnautica videos again, and he has a stuffed crocheted Reaper that my sister-in-law made for him. He's watching reaper videos and playing with the toy, and gosh darn it, I wish I could play it for the first time again .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, that feeling the first time I stumbled into the Lost River is a feeling I’ll be forever chasing, I’m fairly sure.