Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have no idea, I mostly wear black socks and they fit with each other more or less. I have 3 pairs of home knitted woolen winter socks too. I just buy the cheapest socks. Usually I don't have to buy socks as I get enough during christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
If you guys are looking for the best sock material let me help you out. Bamboo. Bamboo socks are the comfiest motherfuckers in the world.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Maybe 4? If you live in Florida socks are very much optional.

My dog, on the other hand, has about 50 pairs stashed away somewhere. They used to be mine, from way back when we lived up North. She just chips away at my stock and I don't really care.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hate the feeling of going barefoot so I used socks even when I was in vietnam in 30-40C weather, thin ones tho. I'd have liked to have worn socks with sandals but the world just isn't ready for that kind of daring fashion.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
I remember the feeling. Every summer I tried the barefoot thing, and gave up on it after a minute. Sandals, not even once. Then it just changed somehow. Maybe I had a stroke?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

turbomoose posted:

If you guys are looking for the best sock material let me help you out. Bamboo. Bamboo socks are the comfiest motherfuckers in the world.
:captainpop: Look at this guy who's never worn some merino wool socks. Look how wrong he is.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Back when I was in real life I had maybe 30 pairs of different kinds. Now I'm traveling around the world and have 5 pairs of merino wool socks and holy poo poo, they own. My feet usually loving reek but these magical socks somehow never get smelly or crusty. I've worn pairs for days straight and they're still comfortable.

The only downside is price, I've tried a few different brands but 'Darn Tough' is the best. You can get them on amazon. I highly recommend forking over the money and getting a pair. You'll never want to wear lovely cotton socks ever again.

lol bamboo

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
24 pairs of Smartwool Light Hikers. I did some loving extreme couponding last Xmas and got them all for like $100. For the summer I have 5-6 pairs of good ultra light hiking socks and a bunch of Nike no-shows for day to day wear.

I am loving sock obsessed, I have spare pairs stashed all over, when working long days I change them every 5 hours. It is impossible to be a happy and great person when your feet hurt and socks are essential to proper foot comfort.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I don't know how many but they are all wool and I need to get some more because they are all old and have holes

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Somewhere around 5 pairs. One fits poorly and is never worn.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Like 10 but I can never find two that match

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I've got about twenty pairs, with a couple that should get tossed soon, but I feel strange about throwing out socks before replacing them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jyrka posted:

I audited my sock drawer today because it seemed like there was a lot of stuff in there. In the end it turned out that I have 29 pairs of useful socks. This includes suit socks, thin socks, thick socks, woolly socks, basketball socks and skiing socks.

What about you? How many pairs of socks do you own?

Not enough for convenience, and steadily decreasing as they vanish into the Sock Dimension.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Snorkzilla posted:

I also would like a new pair of socks every day and if filthy rich I would do that.

I'm on the same page. I actually considered this as an incentive for myself to quit cigarettes, new socks every day instead. Would have been cheaper than smoking. The lack of severe coughing fits every morning was enough, so I never followed through.

To answer the question, probably 15 pairs black day to day cotton socks, 6 merino wool, 1 alpaca and 1 really thick wool, the latter functioning more as a pair of slippers on chilly days. I don't think I've ever worn them with shoes/out of the house.

E:

turbomoose posted:

Gotta jump on the you've obviously never worn merino wool before train. And alpaca wool is superior to merino.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 26, 2016

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Well thanks for the replies, guys! I think I speak for all of us when I say a lot of fun was had in this thread. I'm thinking of sorting out my t-shirt situation next so maybe we'll meet again in that thread. :)

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
gently caress pairs of socks. I have long white socks, short white socks, and black socks. I consider them singles, and they all go together. When one goes bad it gets thrown away, and when I have to buy a new pack of any of them all the old ones of that type get thrown away. I made my wife do the same thing.

This way laundry is easy and I never get pissed because I have an odd number of socks in my pairs. I don't fold them, they just have 3 spots in the drawers.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

jyrka posted:

Well thanks for the replies, guys! I think I speak for all of us when I say a lot of fun was had in this thread. I'm thinking of sorting out my t-shirt situation next so maybe we'll meet again in that thread. :)
I've been wearing handout shirts from 5K races and various other freebies for 20 years. Recently purchased a 6-pack of white t-shirts from costco on a whim. GOOD GOD, I'm a new man.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I got all sorts!

8 pairs ankle length white socks
5 pairs tube socks
6 pairs knock-off smartwool socks
2 pairs black formal socks

I goddamn love my merino wool socks during fall-winter weather. I pretty much just wear sandals in the summer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just fyi i bought some thick rear end wilson brand socks from - get this - the dollar store the other day

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Something like 100. My man and I share socks, and he has 0 issues hitting up free clothing things. (Our city has a large homeless population, and there's generally at least one place a week handing out 12 packs of free socks, and usually 3 or 4. even if he only makes one every month That still adds up fast)

He likes fresh socks, and I don't complain.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Socks are my jam.

12 pairs of wool work socks so I have a fresh one every day for two weeks (sometimes I work 6 or 7 days a week).

10-12 pairs of thin ankle socks for the gym (regular white for cardio, extra thin and low for lifting).

At any given point about 30-50 pairs of coloured or patterned socks. A good outfit needs a good pair of flashy socks. I have a pair for every major holiday (the good ones, at least) and several themed socks for different times of the year.

I also have about 5 pairs of cashmere wool blend hand knitted socks for wearing around the house or if I know I'll be on my feet all day (especially in the winter). If your feet sweat a lot or you wear out socks quickly, invest in some quality wool socks. They'll change your life.

If you're new to the sock game winners usually has an excellent collection. Same goes with Marks Work Warehouse if you've got one (though they don't tend to change their stock as frequently). Ordering online is pretty great (nothing like getting new socks in the mail at random intervals). Oh, and if you happen to have size 13 feet, I'd recommend not buying from China.

Now someone make an a/t thread about how many pairs of cool underwear you own.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Comfortable feet = happy me, so I have 10 pairs of identical cashmere socks and like 20 pairs of identical SmartWools. SmartWool over cashmere. Joy.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
30-something unique pairs at last count, now probably over twice that, still all unique. Almost all cotton or elasticized cotton, with a few woolen hiking socks (OK, I have a few duplicates among these)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

JoelJoel posted:

Now someone make an a/t thread about how many pairs of cool underwear you own.

:whatup:
I have two months worth of underwear, only 3 of them are one solid colour, many of them include glitter.
Bring it.

BarqueCat
Oct 1, 2001
I have 3 pair of socks. Two of them are identical and are only worn a handful of times per year with my steel toed boots.

I do have about 6 pairs of knee high stocking/trouser socks that color coordinate to my dress slacks the 2-3 times per year I have to wear something that formal.

The other 360 days per year I'm in a skirt or linen beach pants with sandals (not flipflops, those are gross and ugly). *sigh* I love southwest Florida.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I've got about 25 pairs of socks, mixed between professional black socks, funky design socks and ankle socks for working out/walking around the house.

I really want to just chuck all of them and start over with just one type of black sock. It's a nightmare doing laundry and having to make sure that my black socks with green toe seems, black socks with yellow toes, black socks with vertical stitching, black socks with cross-hatch stitching and solid thin black socks are paired up.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
26 black pair
13 white pair
4 gray pair
1 black and white mismatch pair
1 extra gray sock

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Earwicker posted:

I am traveling at the moment and have 6 pairs of socks with me. I do not remember how many are at home.

Also traveling, 10 pair with me.

At home... Way too many, close to 75 I would say.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

I've got about 25 pairs of socks, mixed between professional black socks, funky design socks and ankle socks for working out/walking around the house.

I really want to just chuck all of them and start over with just one type of black sock. It's a nightmare doing laundry and having to make sure that my black socks with green toe seems, black socks with yellow toes, black socks with vertical stitching, black socks with cross-hatch stitching and solid thin black socks are paired up.

Think about how much of your short time on this earth you waste loving around with socks.

Permission to start over the sock game: Granted

Bloodspike
Apr 29, 2016

Mandingueiro danado
4 pairs of dress socks or whatever you call the ones that go with suits.
17 pairs of general purpose socks.
2 pairs of homemade woolen socks to be worn around the house in winter. Sadly I decommissioned these since I moved into the new house, which has floor heating (so cozy!).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sock update- I'm now getting new socks and briefs delivered to my apartment every couple months. It's pretty awesome

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I recently tossed out all socks I had and replaced them with 27 pairs (3x9 packs) of completely identical, simple, grey dress socks of a decent quality. Fits perfectly with washing approximately once per month.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I own like a billion pairs of plain black socks, but my girlfriend also wears them and has a tendency to just toss them wherever, so functionally I have like 4.5 pairs of socks and a vast collection of what I call "phantom socks" that I find inside the couch cushions and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i have like 10-15 pairs of regular socks and some dress socks i hate and thats about it OP

theyre just drat socks!

• Locked thread