Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I recently got a PC after being a Mac user for close to 16 years and have been going back to find all the old F2P MMOs that I missed out on. I've been trying to decide which ones are worth wasting my time on. I've got Rift, Aion, and Neverwinter on my radar and I have been contemplating starting one of those. I found threads on Rift and Neverwinter, but I didn't see one for Aion. I thought I would start one just to find how Aion was before jumping into one of these games.

I am a WoW vet of 11 years. I'm not looking for a game similar to WoW, but something that can offer something different, even if it's slightly. Aion interests me because of the class specialization and of course the limited winged combat (?) that you can do. The character customization seems pretty in-depth as well. But from what I've seen, the game looks to be grind heavy. I'm looking for something I can just sink 1-3 hours a day in and feel like I'm accomplishing something. I prefer to play solo mostly, but don't mind grouping up for dungeons, etc. I'd also like something a little more challenging than what WoW has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger
It's never worth it man. It's never worth it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Outside of Lineage, Aion is the most korean of kmmos. Please take this into consideration.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Outside of Lineage, Aion is the most korean of kmmos. Please take this into consideration.

I am not familiar with Lineage or what it means for an MMO to be Korean, outside of it being made there. Are they notorious for being horrible?

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Very pretty, but very grindy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

desudrive posted:

Very pretty, but very grindy.

Absolutely ludicrously grindy and, if I recall from the previous thread, tied heavily into microtransactions at the top-end if you want to continue to play. Do not download or play Aion.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

Absolutely ludicrously grindy and, if I recall from the previous thread, tied heavily into microtransactions at the top-end if you want to continue to play. Do not download or play Aion.

Haha, perfect, thanks! I guess I will avoid this game and move on.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Korean MMOs are considered more grindy than Western MMOs. You progress slower in levels and there are a lot of money-sinks (things designed to remove currency from the game). There are also a lot of time-sinks, like RNG-based systems where you can spend time gathering resources only to fail at crafting/socketing something and lose everything. Dungeons tend to run longer, great drops aren't as frequent, etc. Evidently a lot of things have been changed to make the game more player-friendly.

The game is super pretty though, and the flying concept it really well done. You can't fly everywhere, but you can glide. The rifting concept where you travel to the other faction's world was really fun when the game was more active. I was part of the group of people who would use their max level character to fund a level 30 character (the highest level you could get to while still being allowed to rift into the enemy's low-level zones). Then you would climb and glide into some obscure part of the map where no one would think to look, bind yourself there and then hunt down other players. Once you're geared out in PvP gear from killing the opposing faction, it becomes almost impossible for a normal player to kill you. Also, lower level players would get bonuses vs. higher level players, making it difficult for someone to switch to their main to take you out (unless they were equally well-geared). If you were playing one of the burst classes like sorcerer or ranger, you could run around nuking guys 10-15 levels higher than you too, as most people don't invest in the best gear until they're max level. Then Aion started to die out and rifting usually consisted of running around trying to find people who weren't bots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have heard the exact opposite about Aion being grindy. The developer has gone through great lengths to change how slow the game is. I know way back in the day it use to be very grindy, but not anymore.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The game has changed so much since I played it that I'm sure everything I said is outdated. I know there was a big patch that rebalanced leveling after the first year, but the opinion was that it was still pretty grindy after level 40. At this point it's been out 6 1/2 years, so I'm sure it's completely different from how it was when most of the goons here played it.

Keep in mind that not all of the grind was leveling. The grind at level cap was also intense. Min-maxing your top-end gear was a grind. Crafting was a grind. Everything was RNG, whether you got a proc for your crafting or whether you managed to slot in all 6 manastones without one of them failing and having to start over. I read that a lot of that stuff was changed too, so it might be a good game now.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

They did make fast-track servers so I guess you level up pretty quick. However, I've read elsewhere that there still is a leveling grind, around 50 I think. Basically they were saying to level to a point (around 50), get a bunch of specific quests (campaigns?) and save them and grind those out to get enough XP to bring you close to 64 and then you have to grind out the last level. That's not something I want to have to do. I did see quite a lot of people leveling in the starting zone, maybe they were all bots though, i don't know.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
play gw2

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

I actually downloaded that today.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Play none of those. These days there isn't even much you can still recommend, not after Trion took a total nose dive and most things coming out are imports with severely abusive cash shops. The closests I can come to recommend a game is The Secret World if you like the setting and get over the somewhat clunky combat or, and I can't believe I'm suggesting it, The Old Republic, if you're willing to throw down like 40 or 50 bucks to get rid of the worst restrictions. Both of those are solid single player experiences where you occasionally group up to beat up a giant dude if you want to. The dungeons and group stuff in ToR is at the very least inoffensive and the dungeons in TSW are legit good.

If it has to be fantasy, Dungeons and Dragons Online is also pretty good but also old and it looks the part. You can always just join whatever flavor of the month goons are playing now but for the love of all that is holy, stay far away from anything Trion or Cryptic.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If you are downloading neverwinter online just stop now. It's obtuse as gently caress and also bad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll give Blade & Soul a recommend after playing it for a few days. It's completely free and has some decent pseudo-action combat. It's not going to knock your socks off, in all likelihood, but it's probably the best in terms of what you're looking for.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Polegrinder posted:

I am a WoW vet of 11 years. I'm not looking for a game similar to WoW, but something that can offer something different, even if it's slightly.

I know it's cliche on these forums, but you're looking for Final Fantasy 14. FF14 is an extremely high quality WoW clone with a very long tutorial, tons of raiding content, tons of side content, great graphics and frequent, huge, updates.

You could also try Guildwars 2, since the base game is free, now. Though it is nothing like WoW in either gameplay or progression and the plucky developers have no clue what they're doing. But it has a great art style and graphics, is easily casualable and is the best 'secondary MMO' there is. And again, it's free.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Roflan posted:

I know it's cliche on these forums, but you're looking for Final Fantasy 14. FF14 is an extremely high quality WoW clone with a very long tutorial, tons of raiding content, tons of side content, great graphics and frequent, huge, updates.

You could also try Guildwars 2, since the base game is free, now. Though it is nothing like WoW in either gameplay or progression and the plucky developers have no clue what they're doing. But it has a great art style and graphics, is easily casualable and is the best 'secondary MMO' there is. And again, it's free.

I actually checked out a 14-day FF14 trial. I hated it, haha. I also tried GW2 and, so far, absolutely love it. I've also been playing a lot of Tera, which I find to be very relaxing since the combat is so much fun. Grinding mobs is soothing to me and doesn't feel like a chore, which is good since the questing is kinda bad.

As for Blade & Soul, I actually got that game on release day. I played it for a week, week and a half, and gave up. The combat is fun, but it just feels like a polished turd at this point. All style with no substance, unless I like PvP I suppose.

I did end up trying Neverwinter. I wish I saw the comment about not downloading it 5-6 days ago. It was bland and boring.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Best bet is probably going to be GW2 because from what I can tell, it is the only MMO style game out there that encourages helping other people instead of making you mad that some random guy is stealing *your* loot and spawn and tagged the quest mob you've been waiting on.
If nothing else, it can be a fun time just 100% exploring every area and finding the jump puzzles and random events and the endgame is mostly playing dressup.

Only downside is compared to the early years, you'll need a lot of gold to get the cash shop currency gems, but you can also make gold faster these days and at least the game let's you convert gold into cash shop currency in the first place.
The cash shop is largely cosmetic and inventory size increases, although inventory size is where they always get you in these sorts of games that give you a million little items and materials to hold onto.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 12, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Best bet is probably going to be GW2 because from what I can tell, it is the only MMO style game out there that encourages helping other people instead of making you mad that some random guy is stealing *your* loot and spawn and tagged the quest mob you've been waiting on.

I can't believe in 2016 GW2 is still the only MMO like this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

I can't believe in 2016 GW2 is still the only MMO like this.

It's not. Closed tagging is archaic, I'm not even sure WoW does it anymore.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Rhymenoserous posted:

It does, along with FF14, Rift and Tera.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's actually a feature planned for Legion, their next expansion.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

Alot of things in wow dont care about tagging anymore atm.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If it's regular mobs in the world it's closed tagging, but world bosses and rare elites let you hit them to tag. They show as tagged but if you hit them they go red for you, so the important poo poo is open tagging.

They probably did it to make sure it works and doesn't delete shield slam from the game on accident or something.

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004

Vermain posted:

I'll give Blade & Soul a recommend after playing it for a few days. It's completely free and has some decent pseudo-action combat. It's not going to knock your socks off, in all likelihood, but it's probably the best in terms of what you're looking for.

Blade & Soul is really enjoyable if you can get over how insanely hypersexualized every character is.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Vermain posted:

Do not play Blade and Soul unless you love twitch PvP.

It's not grindy in terms of leveling, but anything else you might want to do (get better weapons, get new costumes, etc) is supergrindy. It's a Korean MMO: it's made entirely of timesinks. The game is comprised of a million different little micro-currencies that you need to hang on to, with the game giving you no real information about what each of those currencies will eventually be used for. And even storing these currencies costs another type of currency to open up slots in your bank. Everything in game sells for one copper piece, no loot matters (because loot is just currency; there's no chance you'll find a cool weapon or an interesting ring), and the dungeons are repetitive.

If you like PvP, by all means do give it a try - the combat is great. But it's not at all a good game; speeding a level grind does not hide the fact that it is a Korean MMO from stem to stern.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 21, 2016

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Blade and Soul is fun and I enjoyed it, but then I immediately stopped at level 40 because I got bored with the progression. I enjoy the idea of running dungeons for loot and having options to progress down different paths. In Blade and Soul, everyone has the exact same weapon and item progression, because you have a "Hongmoon Weapon" and a "Hongmoon Necklace" etc. that you just feed other weapons and accessories into. Then you level them up with a specific weapon. To me, that takes away a bit of the enjoyment in getting a great item from a boss.

Also, the classes are non-traditional so their roles kind of blend together. No one is the tank, no one is the healer, no one is there for support, crowd control, etc. Some people like that, some people don't. It makes PvP really fun, but it takes away from other parts of the game because there is little teamwork since everyone can do everything to some degree.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Aion is getting worse with every patch. You can basically enchant every single piece of equipment now. Enchanting gives you a really big advantage, even new powerful skills. Also in many cases enchanting is uncapped now. And naturally only paying obscene amounts of money will get you anywhere with regards to enchanting.

European Aion is basically financed by oil money now.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Bumping this to say I've been having a ton of fun with this and I don't see why it gets poo poo on so much. The combat is decently fun, the community is pretty active and generous, and it's not as super grindy as everyone says it is unless you're trying to max out every craft for some reason.

Granted I've only been playing it for a week but still

• Locked thread