Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
It's funny, I don't know what's up with GPS altitude calculation. Before we moved and I was running around 30k per week which put me around the middle of the pack in the goon Strava group my climb totals were always around top 5. Generally I was only exceeded by the crazy distance people doing >100k or the occasional person in Norway or something who appeared to be climbing on hands and knees fjord to fjord or something.

But my (former) typical running route doesn't seem that hilly to be. It was a gradual climb for a few km then across the top of the ridge and back down. Are most people on Strava running on the prairies or is my Garmin watch (with map based altitude correction turned on) throwing out crazy numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
O my bad dude, I thoguht you were saying your were going to do the 12k feet even if it killed you. TBH I'd be tempted to outdoors myself to death if I lived in BC so my initial impression about what you were saying didn't even feel that far-fetched :P

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

life is a joke posted:

O my bad dude, I thoguht you were saying your were going to do the 12k feet even if it killed you. TBH I'd be tempted to outdoors myself to death if I lived in BC so my initial impression about what you were saying didn't even feel that far-fetched :P

Nah. I do feel pretty lucky to live around here though. It's probably the most beautiful place I've ever been, and there's a pocket of rainforest literally within walking distance of my house. I have run home before a few times after running the trails there (it's a big hill though).

Edit: Squibbles and I often run together and occasonally have different elevation/pace recordings. He uses Garmin and I use Strava. Not sure what the difference is, though I assume Garmin is more accurate. I've sometimes lost GPS in the forests.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 19, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I've said it in other threads, but Saucony Peregrines are the best shoes ever. You can still get the 4's which are great but the 5's are very, very similar. A god send if you have wide feet like mine and can only dream of getting into anything made by Salomon.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I added your shoe suggestion to the OP, cheese.

So it's now just a month and a half away that we will be visiting Ireland. I have been trying to map some places to run based upon poets I really like, like Yeats. Lake Isle of Innisfree is based on a real place called Lough Gill. The woods around it, Slish Wood, were also mentioned in "The Stolen Child" as Sleuth Wood. I always wanted to do an Irish pub/bard crawl, but may do a trailrunning poet crawl instead, with a sure followup at a pub or two.

That reminds me, has anyone heard of fell running? I think I asked earlier in the thread. It basically sounds like trail running but may have originated in Scotland and Ireland and is also popular in the UK. I guess it is more akin to trail racing than just running on one's accord.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
ireland running trip sounds fun as hell desmond, good on ya. never heard of fell running but it sounds interesting. definitely let the forums know how the trip goes!

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Either of you two posting about the Middlesex Fells still following this thread?

I'm thinking of getting up there on Tuesday cause it's finally gonna warm up, but I'm not sure where to start from. I used to commute through there daily, up from Melrose over to the hockey rink side to 93S and it seems like people just park anywhere there's a flat spot, so there's no shortage of places to start at.

Right now I'm a beginner, I've been plodding through Breakheart but that's a wide paved route with lots of people around. I'm hoping the Fells has something quiet, not too populated, unpaved but not super treacherous/narrow, and easy for a beginner doing start/stop jogging. I'll be coming from Boston so I guess something on the southern side would be a lil easier, but if there's a good spot even on the Melrose/Stoneham side I'd make my way over there.

I just drove by there today on the Fellsway, the lake was super pretty. Can't wait to check it out :3

e: There a few pages like this that have some info, but a lot of reviews make it seem like the "easy" trails are mentioned relative to the skills of those who are already hikers/trail runners , would like to know if anyone is familiar with any truly beginner trails to get into running.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 8, 2016

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

life is a joke posted:

Either of you two posting about the Middlesex Fells still following this thread?

I'm thinking of getting up there on Tuesday cause it's finally gonna warm up, but I'm not sure where to start from. I used to commute through there daily, up from Melrose over to the hockey rink side to 93S and it seems like people just park anywhere there's a flat spot, so there's no shortage of places to start at.

Right now I'm a beginner, I've been plodding through Breakheart but that's a wide paved route with lots of people around. I'm hoping the Fells has something quiet, not too populated, unpaved but not super treacherous/narrow, and easy for a beginner doing start/stop jogging. I'll be coming from Boston so I guess something on the southern side would be a lil easier, but if there's a good spot even on the Melrose/Stoneham side I'd make my way over there.

I just drove by there today on the Fellsway, the lake was super pretty. Can't wait to check it out :3

I typically stick to the Fells west of 93, and usually park at one of the two lots on South Border Rd, which provide easy access to the Cross Fells Trail (Blue) and the Skyline (White), Reservoir (Orange), and Mountain Bike Loop (Green). I mainly park there since I'm coming from North Cambridge, and it's the closest parking that gets me to the trails I want. Those lots fill up pretty quickly on the weekends. There's also a large parking lot near Sheepfold (the big dog park area), which provides access to the Skyline/Reservoir/Mountain Bike Loops.

On the east side I've only run the Cross Fells, and Rock Circuit Trails, and as the name implies it's rocky, the most technical trail I've run there. I can't say anything else about any of the other trails on that side.

I mainly stick to the main trails marked with colored blazes on the west side of the Fells. I'm relatively new to trail running, I started last fall, and have been learning in the Fells. I started on the the Cross Fells Trail, from Winthrop St. in Medford to Woodland Rd. I think it's pretty runnable, though there are some rocky, technical sections. After running that I jumped in straight to the Skyline Trail Loop (~7.5 miles), it's pretty technical, but it's almost entirely runnable. The Reservoir Loop (~6.3 miles) is easier, and less technical, though there are still some rocky sections.

I'd probably recommend the Reservoir Loop to start. There are lots of good runnable sections with good footing, mixed with some more technical bits, and the elevation gain is only ~400 feet, compared with ~1100 for the Skyline Trail loop. The trail is also pretty easy to follow, just stick with the orange blazes.

You'll have a blast! I'm running a road marathon next Sunday, and as soon as I've recovered I'll be back on the trails.

life is a joke posted:

e: There a few pages like this that have some info, but a lot of reviews make it seem like the "easy" trails are mentioned relative to the skills of those who are already hikers/trail runners , would like to know if anyone is familiar with any truly beginner trails to get into running.

Just saw this. As a complete beginner, but with a fair amount of hiking experience, I did the Cross Fells Trail from Winthrop St. in Medford to Woodland Rd. I think the Reservoir Loop is comparable. There are technical bits, but lots of easily runnable sections, so you can alternate running and hiking if need be.

EPICAC fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 8, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Thank you so much my man. Sounds like the Reservoir Loop is a good place to start so I'll be doing that on Tuesday (e: tomorrow). I don't think I can run that long because I'm trying to undo 15 years of smoking but I've been on longer hikes with similar or more elevation no problem, so I should be able to finish it doing a walk run combo. I've never been on the west side except when I was little and my dad took us up to that fire tower so it'll be something new. I'm from Malden so ive seen a lot of the East side of the fells, even though that was more for smoking weed and making out when I was in high school :P

I actually have tomorrow off so I'll be doing it then, will let you know how it goes. Sending good luck your way for the marathon!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

black children posted:

ireland running trip sounds fun as hell desmond, good on ya. never heard of fell running but it sounds interesting. definitely let the forums know how the trip goes!

Thanks! I'm not going until mid-June but am kind of mapping where we can run then. Before then we have a tent-camp trip on the long Canada weekend so hope to get in some trails then. I'll post pics later.

Would love to see others' trail photos as well!

Edit: Here are some pics from trails in Ireland: http://imgur.com/a/Xexzm

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 5, 2016

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Does anyone in the thread know of good trails to run in Stowe, Vermont? I'll be there for a week for a conference, and want to get some trail running in. I have a couple of more specific questions.

First: I'd like to give Mount Mansfield a shot as my first trail run up to a summit. I'd like to do a loop that lets me do some running along the Long Trail on the ridge. I want to do this from the Stowe side of the mountain, and would prefer if the start was close to the end. Any recommendations?

Second: Are there any rolling trails nearby that would be good for daily easier runs?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

EPICAC posted:

Does anyone in the thread know of good trails to run in Stowe, Vermont? I'll be there for a week for a conference, and want to get some trail running in. I have a couple of more specific questions.

First: I'd like to give Mount Mansfield a shot as my first trail run up to a summit. I'd like to do a loop that lets me do some running along the Long Trail on the ridge. I want to do this from the Stowe side of the mountain, and would prefer if the start was close to the end. Any recommendations?

Second: Are there any rolling trails nearby that would be good for daily easier runs?

I'm glad someone in the running thread could help; sorry nobody answered here. I have personally never been to the east coast at all but want to!

For anyone interested in the Ireland pics, I posted them above.

Also just went on a part run-part hike at Sasamat Lake (BC) over the weekend. It had rained in the morning, so trail had a lot of slippery rocks, but the positive part of it all was the amazing mist we climbed up to.

Edit: Not sure why the image didn't attach.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I'm back from the conference in Vermont. I got some good hiking and trail running in. I managed to hike/run all of the VT 4000 footers. I gave a friend of a friend a ride from Boston, we hiked Camel's Hump on Saturday on the way up, and Killington on the way back yesterday. I got in a nice run on the XC ski trails at the Trapp Family Lodge, and got to see a friend dry heave twice. The next day a friend and I did a slow run up Mount Mansfield .

I still needed two of the 4000 footers, Abraham and Ellen, so I after five hours of driving yesterday, I did a six hour round trip today and ran them: 11.3 miles, ~3100" of gain, and an average pace of 15:20. The ascent/descent was wet, rocky, rooty, and technical, but there was some really great running along the ridge. I made two Strava segments, the run in, and the run out. I thought I might have a slim chance of a CR on at least one of them. Of course, Konrad has the CR on both....

A few pictures. The rest can be found on the Strava Links:
Mansfield
Abe and Ellen

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
That's a beautiful trek. The views remind me of doing the Coquitlam Crunch a couple months ago (where we continued on a pretty long hike as well).

Califa
Feb 8, 2006

Does anyone have advice on what to carry when running long-distance, like several hours? It would not include camping overnight, but what about having enough water on hand in the middle of nowhere and some food?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Califa posted:

Does anyone have advice on what to carry when running long-distance, like several hours? It would not include camping overnight, but what about having enough water on hand in the middle of nowhere and some food?

my advice would be yes, have enough water on hand in the middle of nowhere, and some food.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Califa posted:

basic hiking supplies (first aid, whistle, compass, phone / gps if you can). water, some food. you can bring water sanitizing tablets too if you're going somewhere with natural water sources.

basically you take light hiking stuff and more water than you want to carry.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jordan7hm posted:

basic hiking supplies (first aid, whistle, compass, phone / gps if you can). water, some food. you can bring water sanitizing tablets too if you're going somewhere with natural water sources.

basically you take light hiking stuff and more water than you want to carry.

The Sawyer Mini water filter works great and weighs like 4 ounces or something, I've brought it on a lot of long runs and it's worked great. Faster and better than tablets.

Califa
Feb 8, 2006

gohuskies posted:

The Sawyer Mini water filter works great and weighs like 4 ounces or something, I've brought it on a lot of long runs and it's worked great. Faster and better than tablets.

Thanks. I wanted to figure out how much to take and how to carry it when running. I couldn't carry a lot of water so something like a filter is a great idea.

Anyone have tips on types of lightweight running backpacks then? I have found some but if anyone here has good experience with one, that would be helpful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Has anyone tried a lifestraw? Their marketing material is like a loving clinic on obnoxious startup hyperbole and it's hard to tell if it's actually a neat thing or just one more case of a software engineer playing at being a real engineer and loving it up

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Califa posted:

Thanks. I wanted to figure out how much to take and how to carry it when running. I couldn't carry a lot of water so something like a filter is a great idea.

Anyone have tips on types of lightweight running backpacks then? I have found some but if anyone here has good experience with one, that would be helpful.

Ultimate Direction or Salomon are the cream of the crop. I like the UD packs personally, I have last year's models of the AK (smaller, for short trail runs and races) and SJ vests (for long trail runs where I need to carry a lot), but it sounds like people rave about Salomon as well.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I've been using the Sawyer mini this summer. It works, if awkwardly.

I'm intrigued by the MSR Trailshot that's being released soon: http://www.thegearcaster.com/2016/07/drink-from-the-source-with-the-msr-trailshot.html

It's the most compact tube & pump style filter I've seen. Seems a lot easier to fill bottles with than farting around with the Sawyer squeeze bag.

Califa
Feb 8, 2006

Alright, thanks guys. I will check it out. The MSR Trailshot looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I just got one of those water filters for a relative who camps a lot, and I want to get one for me as well.

Our city is covered in bears, almost 500 sightings in the last month alone. And I saw my first bear while running about three weeks ago, but it wasn't on the trail. It was in a regular neighborhood on trash day. I decided to run the other way and ended up on a really narrow foot path (no sidewalk), and hit a rock with my toe and tumbled down a hill. My face was all bloody, and I got a concussion. I can look back and laugh now. But because of all the bears, I've been kind of reluctant to run on trails in the last month while they are finishing their foraging before the winter. I have been going to the local rainforest, which has been very nice, especially in hotter weather--it is shady and cool in there, and the trails are pretty tame. Bears live in these woods (so I get my partner to run with me in there), but a news article with a map came out the other day. The sightings are all in the neighborhoods (not even one in those woods) because people are leaving trash and composted stuff out outside of city bylaws. A little girl was even mauled in the presence of her father and others (they managed to fight off the bear and save her). It's sad to see that the bears are becoming unafraid of humans around here.

• Locked thread