Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
Tell me about the drat organization apps that are good. I would like to spend time meticulously organizing my life in a fast fun and friendly way. I currently use trello a lot and its pretty good. Maybe I should use google calendar? maybe theres something even better? what are the good programs, applications, and hot tips.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I like Google calendar, you can set all sorts of notifications at different intervals, which is great for long term projects. You can also share calendars with relevant people so you can have group notifications along with your own private ones.

I'd be very interested in other life organization apps as well, if others have better or other preferred options.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X4nF-Cb24c

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Nah, just burn everything to the ground and start over.

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax

what the gently caress. too much going on in this piece of crap IMO

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
You can use filters and labels to manage a lot through Gmail, and boomerang to send emails in advance if that's useful to you. In terms of planning, you can use

om nom nom posted:

Google calendar, you can set all sorts of notifications at different intervals, which is great for long term projects.

If you want to organize your thoughts and list what you plan to do, you can use Workflowy, which lets you cross things off, have hierarchical organization as well as tags. Your things live in the cloud so you can easily check/edit things on your phone or at work, etc.

If you need just a little bit more motivation/tracking to do something regularly, Beeminder may be helpful, as it makes fancy graphs with your commitments, and ties a bit of monetary disincentive to breaking your promises.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I use gmail, google calendar, Boomerang, and a reporter's notebook (they're tall and thin, 4.25" x 11", spiral bound on the top, and fit in a pants pocket). Reporters notebook.... Date at the top and anything I need to remember that day. Shopping list, to-do list, call your mother, even sometimes stuff that's already on the calendar that I know I'll forget. Next day, look at previous day, and begin again. Writing by hand keeps you from re-writing the same thing for two weeks straight. Also, it's less laborious for me to flip open a notebook and write "eggs" than to unlock my phone, open an app, type "eggs", press save, then instinctively check my e-mail and get lost for 5 minutes.... only to basically forget about the eggs the moment I close whatever app I wrote it in.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

My holy trinity is Gmail, Google Cal and Todoist. I work as a librarian so I'm always basically at a computer with my gmail open. I have cal set up on the left side and a Todoist plugin that basically sits in screen like a gchat box (I mostly keep it minimized. Projects and stuff like grocery lists I keep in Todoist since I have the app on my phone while I'm out running errands.

Gmail is pretty robust. Labels and filters are great and easy to set up. I set a goal to never have more than 15 emails in my inbox at a time. For notes for sort term stuff I just email myself and have a filter apply a star to the email. I set up a second inbox that sits over my main inbox that just has my starred emails and it's called "Notes to Self"

It's not an organization app but I use mightyText which also has a plug in with Gmail that makes it so I can text via my Gmail at whatever computer I'm at, makes it so I'm not having to look at my phone throughout the work day.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I use the calendar app on my phone synced to my outlook inbox for work and my personal gmail so that I can plan my whole day without double booking stuff in two different places. It also really helps me to put what I'm making for dinner in my calendar. Planning out a week's meals even if I stray from it takes a lot of stress out of my life. If you live with someone, it can reduce the "what do you want for dinner?" conversation.

I also write almost all of my stuff down in a physical notebook and planner using bullet journaling techniques and color coding. I'm using a Moleskine weekly planner in the small format. I personally don't like to type down notes for work, so I write those on a single sheet of paper per day in a legal pad and copy over the important stuff from my notes into a google drive folder.

Additionally, as an Organized Person, I budget at least an hour on Sunday night before the start of my week and about 20 minutes per day to generally organize myself and catch anything I might have missed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I've taken to using this - https://kanbanflow.com - lately for personal stuff and have been liking it. Anytime an errand or idea or something comes up throw it in the to-do pile, and work on the list when you have time. Very simple but really does the job well as long as you keep on top of prioritization.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I like Habitica; it's a gamified organisation thing which does much of the same stuff that ToDoist does but in a somewhat more fun way. I hope you like RPGs though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

As a naturally impatient and disorganized person, I've learned to keep all my organization apps and so on extremely simple, otherwise they inevitably are abandoned. The best organizer in the world isn't worth it if it doesn't fit into your lifestyle.

As such, google calendar is great for repeating work schedules and appointments, and it can sync all my Facebook events which is a large part of my social calendar. So the only things that need entering are one-time appointments.

The iOS app Clear is a very quick and efficient way to make todo lists and shopping lists. Easy to read and swiping completed tasks away is satisfying.

Not an app, but if I know the next week is going to be busy, I will arrange outfits and pack a bag for each day. That means I can get home at the end of a long day and actually relax instead of stressing about getting things ready that evening or early in the morning.

Edit: Also I have keepass installer on my phone and laptop, with the master file synced via Dropbox. So I have all my passwords wherever I am, stored securely (my master password is really long but it's the only one I have to remember)

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 8, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you can get into it, the microsoft office suite has a remarkable amount of interaction between the different apps.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blendy posted:

My holy trinity is Gmail, Google Cal and Todoist. I work as a librarian so I'm always basically at a computer with my gmail open. I have cal set up on the left side and a Todoist plugin that basically sits in screen like a gchat box (I mostly keep it minimized. Projects and stuff like grocery lists I keep in Todoist since I have the app on my phone while I'm out running errands.

Gmail is pretty robust. Labels and filters are great and easy to set up. I set a goal to never have more than 15 emails in my inbox at a time. For notes for sort term stuff I just email myself and have a filter apply a star to the email. I set up a second inbox that sits over my main inbox that just has my starred emails and it's called "Notes to Self"

It's not an organization app but I use mightyText which also has a plug in with Gmail that makes it so I can text via my Gmail at whatever computer I'm at, makes it so I'm not having to look at my phone throughout the work day.

yeah these are good

todoist is a nice barebones chore list phone thing if you want a phone to do that, but they charge an annual fee for features like being able to recover tasks if you accidentally checked them off and they've disappeared and you didn't see which ones got lost, which leaves me disinclined to either purchase their paid version or keep using their free one

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Which one of these apps is most likely to get me to actually do the thing

Edit: Signed up for todoist and it's by far the best combination of easy and functional I've seen for this stuff

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Big fan of outlook, its calander and ctrl+shift+k (shortcut to enter new task).

Mainly because its what my company uses so figured might as well make use of it. But its actually pretty handy.

• Locked thread