Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is ram usage bad
yes
no (correct option, tick this one)
maybe
View Results

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I just ordered a new server for work with 192gb of ram. like I can't even fathom having a use case here where we'd come even close to needing that much but gently caress it, I ain't footing the bill

probably set up some as a ramdisk and put tempdb on there for sick nasty speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

how does it get slightly faster? i thought it was slower overall, i mean, it's like sanity checking the poo poo so that takes cycles?

eh im just remembering what bsd said

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757586&pagenumber=9#post456524057

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ecc doesn't hurt throughput. it hypothetically hurts latency. if it normally takes, say, 10 clock cycles for your memory to start streaming your request back to you, ecc makes it 11 cycles. the bandwidth is the same, there's just that extra clock cycle spent waiting.

i just looked up what the exact loss would be, and it turns out that it's negative, because the registered memory is so much more tightly timed than unbuffered, it overcomes the ecc gap

DDR4 2400 R (registered, always ECC) runs at a standard timing of 16 cycles
DDR4 2400 U (unbuffered, rarely ECC) runs at a standard timing of 18 cycles

so if you use registered ECC memory it is actually a few percent faster than standard memory

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i would get ecc ram next time. I mean why wouldn't you? poor? l m ao

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i have ecc ram in my mac pro so its the natural choice if youre make pro computing decisions

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bit flips in RAM happen all of the time now that we make it at such a high density. usually the bit is somewhere where you don't notice it, like the data for an image or video. but sometimes it hits your OS and you get a blue screen or other major fault. many of your application crashes are due to it, and it is slowly but constantly corrupting data you write to your hard drive. then you open up that word document and find that something is messed up, but you just blame word for being a piece of poo poo. for normal users the frequency of observed errors is low enough and random enough that they will not feel any benefit from ECC RAM.

but you probably don't want that on your servers, or on the machine that builds/generates the final version of the product you're about to release. you also want a CPU that has ECC in the cache.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://danluu.com/why-ecc/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lmao fatwood's another google cargo culter

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

just pressed the task manager to check my ram and realized ide never seen the screen before. windows10 supremacy.

huh. according to this i got 8.3 giggies of stuff in memory that's chached or "standby". didn't know the os did that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jef fatwood is actively causing data corruption with his idiot articles.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akadajet posted:

huh. according to this i got 8.3 giggies of stuff in memory that's chached or "standby". didn't know the os did that.

yeah that started with either vista or 7. basically it will load your most-used files into unused RAM.

if you have an active program that needs that RAM, the cached data is immediately flushed in favor of whatever you're actually doing.

it's good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

jef fatwood is actively causing data corruption with his idiot articles.

heh. "fatwood"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah that started with either vista or 7. basically it will load your most-used files into unused RAM.

if you have an active program that needs that RAM, the cached data is immediately flushed in favor of whatever you're actually doing.

it's good

the best is when you search for standby ram you get a bunch of "gamers" who blame it for killing their fps and want it disabled.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I just ordered a new server for work with 192gb of ram. like I can't even fathom having a use case here where we'd come even close to needing that much but gently caress it, I ain't footing the bill

anything involving search indexing will use mega amounts of ram to buffer indexes for performance so maybe that?

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Sagebrush posted:

What's the actual use case for ecc RAM? Like, ram errors clearly must be either super uncommon or easily rectified, cause the average user doesn't ever see "poo poo is hosed up cause of RAM bit flips"

Is it just like, dedicated hardware that's faster than whatever the alternative way of verifying RAM contents is?
Microsoft Research did an interesting study on this a few years ago. They dug through all the Windows OS crashes reported through their "hey Windows crashed, send this to Microsoft" program and pulled out a bunch of statistics about how bad consumer hardware is.

There are some caveats, of course. It's their job to show that it's not Windows's fault that your computer sucks. More important for your question, however, they drastically underestimate the damage of DRAM errors. They only assume a crash happened due to a DRAM bit flip if the wrong bit happens in the Windows kernel's code pages (because they can know exactly what the memory *should* be). To quote, "...the only DRAM bit errors that cause system crashes are those that occur within the roughly 1.5% of memory that is occupied by kernel code page".

Still, in that tiny amount of memory, your average shitbox machine has a 1/1700 chance of failing due to a bit flip in the kernel's code pages in an 8 month period (assuming its on for at least 30 days within those 8 months). After the first crash, it's much more likely to happen again, which is indicative of hard faults in the memory.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you think your ram vendor spent the amount of time it takes to qualify your consumer ram is actually good.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this ram is $20 cheaper on newegg, so I bought that. there's no difference, the numbers are all the same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

vista. iirc this was a major source of the "VISTA IS A HUGE MEMORY HOG!" hissy fits online -- pro gamerz didn't realize what was going on when they saw close to 100% memory usage.

win7 kept exactly the same feature but hid its usage from the task manager by default. pro gamerz: "ahh MUCH BETTER, MICROSOFT"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
yes, users are retarded. welcome to the it brotherhood

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

virtual machines

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

my stepdads beer posted:

virtual machines

mysql configured to use 128mb of caching because you forgot to change it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7mnSstKGs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

consumer hardware sucks and if you care at all about data integrity or system reliability then every single piece of memory in your system will be ECC from the ram to the cpu cache to the raid controller to the NIC

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wow thats crazy

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Menacer posted:

Still, in that tiny amount of memory, your average shitbox machine has a 1/1700 chance of failing due to a bit flip in the kernel's code pages in an 8 month period (assuming its on for at least 30 days within those 8 months). After the first crash, it's much more likely to happen again, which is indicative of hard faults in the memory.

I've heard from an Intel chip engineer that the Windows 98 blue screens were basically all Intel's fault for not doing sufficient error checking at each stage of the datapath on their chips. I was shocked to learn (probably due to naivety) that even on-chip they don't guarantee that errors due to cross-talk aren't engineered out and instead they do error correction to fix those things.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 28, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's astonishing that microchips work at all, considering the scale and complexity of the devices and that they're pumped out by the billions and sold for a few dollars

Any deterministic process running billions of times per second with any level of reliability or repeatability is completely magical as far as I'm concerned

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a reasonably pedestrian cpu core executes 100 quadrillion operations in a year like its no big deal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

a reasonably pedestrian cpu core executes 100 quadrillion operations in a year like its no big deal

same, but your mom and beejs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

i just ordered a new workstation for work with 64gb of ram. it's for playing with ct scans of stuff. they are real big.

it's not my money so i made sure the thing gets all creature comforts so the ssd and screen are overkill

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

blowfish posted:

i just ordered a new workstation for work with 64gb of ram. it's for playing with ct scans of stuff. they are real big.

it's not my money so i made sure the thing gets all creature comforts so the ssd and screen are overkill

no doubt, I ain't footing the bill so spec the poo poo out of it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lomarf ram usage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm using 22% of my RAM

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's not the size of the ram it's how you usage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm using 22% of my RAM

same but 56%

i have like 80 chrome tabs open and also photoshop

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lol if u ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
29.7% currently

i wish i knew what win10/samsung magician were actually caching, it's hard to tell

• Locked thread